• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Our experience in 2016 tells us that this is probably a losing strategy and that the call to be pragmatic about falling behind a compromise candidate is based on speculation and deference, not facts. Rather than resign ourselves to losing in 2020 while still having gone through the experience of nominating a literal rapist to represent the party, now is the time to act.
Nothing supports the belief that Biden is a weaker candidate than Clinton in the states that will matter. Biden has and will do great in the states we lacked in last time.
and I disagree, the time to act was when there were elections, and that was the last two months and people did act, theyvoted for Biden

May 21, 2018
This is like the trolley dilemma where the car will run over a crowd by default and you have the option of diverting it to run over one person (the rape victim), because we should all face the truth that if we vote for Biden we are putting her down.

However, the people refusing to vote are refusing to make any choice, so by default the trolley runs over the crowd because depressed voter turnout only helps Republicans. They claim moral superiority, but the world will only remember and judge by the result.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So instead of directing this energy at the Democratic establishment to throw their weight behind a less controversial candidate (which is still possible mind you), or the moderates and neoliberals who are willing to put things like with climate change disasters, children in cages, rape, transphobia, etc. on the bargaining table, you...want to scold the people who actually care for the vulnerable with emotional blackmail so that they vote for the shitty guy on your team.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I would vote purely to maintain my rights as a human and for the protections of every other marginalized group.

You can decide to abstain and risk letting your country elect Trump again so that he can further take away human rights, fund the rich, kill the poor and give more room for people to rape, assault and harm minorities.

You want to make your voter point about DNC? You do it in the Primary. The moment it comes between Trump and Biden? You vote for the option that won't be looking to take away your rights.
Thank you.

It's going to have short-term consequences - there's no such thing as a good Republican - but it's probably necessary in the long term
Shit no. Accelerationism doesn't work.

Another way to look at this is through the lens of abortion. Moderate democrats tolerate legal abortion, they don't support it. Consequently, abortion access in the US is very spotty unless you happen to be quite privileged. It's illusory for Democrats to hold up their ability to provide abortion access to privileged people as evidence that they're pro-choice for multiple reasons, not the least of which being that privileged people will get abortions whether they're legal or not.
You wanna talk long-term and abortion? OK, let's do that, because it's a perfect example.

If Ruth is replaced by a conservative judge, Roe v. Wade. could get overturned. You'd have a conservative Supreme Court for decades going forward, so good luck bringing it back any time soon if that happens.

Moreover, Republicans are already eroding abortion rights all across the US (at state and county levels). Democrats aren't doing that.

If your argument is that your accelerationist fantasy will help women's reproductive rights "in the long term", you are flat-out wrong. 100%. Women's reproductive rights are already being eroded right now, and if RGB goes, they will continue to be even more fucked for generations.

Voting Dem in November isn't just for the short term of getting rid of Trump, it's also for the long term on multiple axis: women's rights, climate change, civil liberties, etc.

I mean the alternative is 4 MORE years of a rapist as the leader.
For real. The "so you'd vote for a rapist" gotcha really fails when the other choice is also a rapist.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
You're complacent about the state of the Democrats. Great! Don't fault other people for having spines who expect something better out of the party that claims to represent them.

As I've said before, yours is very short-sighted thinking. It is both morally not correct - it can never be morally correct to chastise someone for being unwilling to stand behind a rapist - and it is strategically unwise since it enables the Democrats to continue nominating people like Joe Biden. Trump's policymaking is extremely negligent, whereas Biden's will be only very negligent, sure. But don't pretend like the failure to do better than "very negligent" isn't also quite dangerous, because it is. And that's where you're at.

Also: I'm not entitled to vote in American elections, so you can go ahead and stop putting the ironic "at least you didn't vote for Biden!" stuff in your post.
You don't have to be entitled to vote in order for me to point out how dumb it is to abstain from voting so you can feel morally righteous.

You actually believe Trump winning again is a short term consequence for the greater good. You're delusional and so there is no point engaging with you. Enjoy convincing yourself you are a good person.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Understand that what separates good voters from the assholes is the goals they have for the country and not necessarily what one candidate they support does.

Fact is, America is a machine that grinds up the vulnerable all over the world. If you participate in it, you are responsible for many of the atrocities you're complaining that Trump does anyway. The ship sailed after the genocide of natives.

Being an individual in a shit system does not make you a bad person. Trying to hurt others makes you a bad person. But so does completely denying your responsibility in the system's outputs should you participate in it. That's how you get people who simultaneously left another website due to sexual allegations telling sexual assault victims to shut up.
God I just have so much respect for you and the way you worded this.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Nothing supports the belief that Biden is a weaker candidate than Clinton in the states that will matter. Biden has and will do great in the states we lacked in last time.
and I disagree, the time to act was when there were elections, and that was the last two months and people did act, theyvoted for Biden
No NOW is the time to act. While there is still time. DNC needs to denounce Biden immediately. He is no longer eligible. They need to bring someone else to the table. Otherwise THEY are the ones handing Trump 4 more years and so is anyone who supports them.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know what to tell you if think voting Biden is the key to getting this country back on track. That's just a gross oversimplification of the situation this country is in.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, so it doesn't matter what comes out tomorrow, huh?
The convention is still almost four months away. The story just came out. The time to act is now.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
No NOW is the time to act. While there is still time. DNC needs to denounce Biden immediately. He is no longer eligible. They need to bring someone else to the table. Otherwise THEY are the ones handing Trump 4 more years and so is anyone who supports them.
you overestimate the "DNC's" power.

also, didn't Clinton get similar allegations in 92 and still go on to win?

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Do you know for sure that Biden is the best candidate for the job? Do you know that that's still true now that we can count on sustained coverage of the allegations against him? How do you calculate the cost of losing the "our guy is definitely the pro-woman candidate" vote today?

Shit no. Accelerationism doesn't work.

You wanna talk long-term and abortion? OK, let's do that, because it's a perfect example.
What? I'm not advocating for accelerationism. I don't think allowing Trump to be the president for longer is a good thing, I said it's worth accepting the risk that he wins reelection (a risk, by the way, which is quite large anyway if Biden is the nominee because Biden sucks) if it means forcing the Democratic party to be something other than the feckless compromise centrist party that it's been for decades now.

There is too much weight placed on the on-paper designation that abortion engages certain constitutional rights which operate to limit how the government may regulate it (i.e. Roe v Wade). This is especially the case when the country's biggest political party has no respect for the underlying body autonomy argument, meaning they do their best to restrict abortion access to the extent legally practicable. The US has a terrible track record on abortion access, and while most of the blame for that goes to the Republicans, it is also a problem that the Democrats do not pursue a positive policy of ensuring abortion access. Consequently, if the SC changes their mind on Roe v Wade that's just the death blow in a battle you've mostly already lost. Privileged people will still be able to get legal and safe abortions, and everyone else won't.

Also, Democrats have already lost the court-packing fight. Granted, the Democrats losing in 2020 would make that markedly worse, but the cat is already out of the bag.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
It's going to have short-term consequences - there's no such thing as a good Republican - but it's probably necessary in the long term.

Nope. This conversation has been had before; but no. The whole accelerationist "Burn it all down" is never going to fly with majority, nor the core on the left ever.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
Stop assuming people who don't want to vote are 'privileged' it's full of shit first and foremost and assumes A LOT about users on the other side of the screen.
There are a lot of minorities, disabled, PoC, queer people- with very precarious situations in the non-voting category that don't vote because either party has shown throughout the years that they will never be considered, treated with respect or taken care of.

It's stupidly frustrating and MAYBE if the DNC wants people to vote more they should start fielding candidates that are actually engaging. I'm not even going to Bring up Bernie Sanders. We had 13 OTHER fucking candidates and all of them was either a different flavor of shithead moderate, then Bernie and Warren, and Donald Trump but Democrat.

Come the fuck on. 'Beating Trump' should be an easy baseline to pass just by existing. The DNC had the chance to really field some inspirational candidates and they choose shit.

Oct 27, 2017
Contrary to the thread title, I haven't seen anyone saying that you shouldn't vote. Just that they personally couldn't vote for Biden.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to vote for a rapist, but I will if I have to.

It's callous to have an OP that long about this issue and not meaningfully engage with what's actually causing people distress at the moment regarding Biden, and I think you should be ashamed of yourself.

This matters to survivors. It matters to me. I'll vote for him anyway.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
People die constantly because of the systems we created and support. This hard cleave between business as usual and the evil of Trump specifically is artificial and a way for people like you to feel like heroes.

Also this. Kids are in cages before Trump, but no one is interrogating why Joe signed the bill that built those facilities in the first place. People are dying of Coronovirus because of Trumps bullshit but significantly more people tragically lose their lives from very curable ailments and sicknesses because breaking your arm can cost as much as 4 years of college. A system Democrats didn't seem to care about because poor people begging for money on GoFundMe don't matter compared to suburbanites and moderates mad about tax credits.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
you overestimate the "DNC's" power.

also, didn't Clinton get similar allegations in 92 and still go on to win?
I don't care what happened in 92'. The entire democratic establishment should be denouncing Biden right now. They are supposed to be the party that cares about these kinds of things. They need to collectively stand up and say "Republican's may be okay with having a rapist represent their party but WE ARE NOT!" Democrats have been saying for years that these types of thing would never fly in their party. It is the other side that doesn't care about what is right. Now that they (and you) have a chance to actually prove that to be the case you are cowering behind a bunch of "lesser of 2 evils" bullshit. It is not too late but if you allow it to get to the point that it is then your country is fucked.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
This is like the trolley dilemma where the car will run over a crowd by default and you have the option of diverting it to run over one person (the rape victim), because we should all face the truth that if we vote for Biden we are putting her down.

However, the people refusing to vote are refusing to make any choice, so by default the trolley runs over the crowd because depressed voter turnout only helps Republicans. They claim moral superiority, but the world will only remember and judge by the result.
Unfortunately, that's pretty apt.

Znazzy

Aug 27, 2018
"The allegations aren't proven" means you're not believing women. Rape allegations are never proven since an essential element of the crime is a lack of consent, and there is literally no way to come to the conclusion that the sex was non-consensual without "taking a leap" and believing the woman.
No it doesn't. Believe women means that you listen to their accounts and not just dismiss them, it doesn't mean automatically accuse and condemn. We literally watched a scenario with Depp play out here where posters screamed at others for not being so quick to call him out because they weren't "believing women" as you put it. The difference being is that they DID listen to what the accuser was saying, but they waited to see how things played out to place further judgment. And it turns out they were correct in that they should wait for more details.

I'm not saying Tara Reade is lying at all, but I want to wait to see how Biden responds to the allegations if he does. And regardless, I'm still voting for Biden because the future of the country depends on it.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017

One line will run over people for 4-8 years before we get a shot at fixing the track again.

The other will potentially run over people for 30+ years.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, given that this is about more than who the figurehead is and has major ramifications elsewhere, I'd say it is personally stupid to not vote.

Don't vote for Biden, vote to ensure the supreme court doesn't go further right.

Don't vote for Biden, vote so that Mango Mussolini is out on his ass where he belongs.

Don't vote for Biden, vote for a party that you know full well is going to do a lot more regarding the environment, immigration and progressive values than the current guy.

Don't vote for Biden, but do vote for a chance at a better future, because a non vote means 4 more years of this nightmare.

I get all of this - really I do.

But how do you ask victims of sexual assault to go vote for a sexual assaulter? And if they say no, how do you not understand that their decision is not stupid? (I'm not asking those questions of you Betty, just more in general).

Hopefully people that don't want to vote for Biden still vote downticket.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Back on track to what?
to the golden days of the Obama years. When everything was perfect, no war crimes were being committed and everyone was living a decent life, had good healthcare, wasn't living paycheck to paycheck.

oh right......
politicians actually trying to better american lives instead of enriching themselves. Obama wasn't perfect, but i'd take that over 4 more years of trump.

Slow but steady progress, most likely.
this.
these things don't happen over night.
the civil rights movement is largely considered to have started 1954, the civil rights act of 64 was ten years later, the civil rights act of 68 was 14 years later. and we're still to this day a racist as shit country.

as i said previously if you want progressives to change the country, run your self, there's numerous support organizations around the country. support and vote for progressive state and local candidates, house and senate candidates. voting in a progressive president without those things is going to do fuck all.

Democrats and Republicans are not as different as people seem to think they are.
this is total horseshit, both sides bullshit.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
I don't care what happened in 92'. The entire democratic establishment should be denouncing Biden right now. They are supposed to be the party that cares about these kinds of things. They need to collectively stand up and say "Republican's may be okay with having a rapist represent their party but WE ARE NOT!" Democrats have been saying for years that these types of thing would never fly in their party. It is the other side that doesn't care about what is right. Now that they (and you) have a chance to actually prove that to be the case you are cowering behind a bunch of "lesser of 2 evils" bullshit. It is not too late but if you allow it to get to the point that it is then your country is fucked.
that's what you don't get.
the country is fucked.
it always has been
progress has always been a hope not even near a possibility. I was a bernie dude in 2016 and the fucking dash of realism that I got hit with when trump beat Clinton has shown me that this is the country in which we removed natives from their lands, put kids in camps, murdered civilians across the world, didn't let women vote, killed our civil rights leaders, etc. etc., we SEVERELY underestimate how fucked things truly are, and merely being morally right will never be enough to defeat those that hold all the power.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
I think all these threads accusing each other of priveledge highlight how it's stupid to attach a label to a dissenting opinion in order to entirely ignore it. Or at least it's stupid to do it when everyone arguing is left of center.

Democrats and Republicans are not as different as people seem to think they are.

I hear a stampede of moderates who don't give a shit about class coming for you.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
What? I'm not advocating for accelerationism. I don't think allowing Trump to be the president for longer is a good thing, I said it's worth accepting the risk that he wins reelection (a risk, by the way, which is quite large anyway if Biden is the nominee because Biden sucks) if it means forcing the Democratic party to be something other than the feckless compromise centrist party that it's been for decades now.

Do you believe the party is that way because it chooses to be or because their voters have made them that way?

Further, is there a reasonable path forward for Democrats on a national level that doesn't involve catering to moderates?

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is total horseshit, both sides bullshit.

It's me being sick and tired of liberals getting away with murder because they frame it in a better way than republicans. They both serve the same elite that are tearing the world apart.

The good democrats you like, wouldn't be democrats if USA wasn't a two-party country.

I'm not a centrist, I'm a socialist.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
politicians actually trying to better american lives instead of enriching themselves. Obama wasn't perfect, but i'd take that over 4 more years of trump.

this.
these things don't happen over night.
the civil rights movement is largely considered to have started 1954, the civil rights act of 64 was ten years later, the civil rights act of 68 was 14 years later. and we're still to this day a racist as shit country.

as i said previously if you want progressives to change the country, run your self, there's numerous support organizations around the country. support and vote for progressive state and local candidates, house and senate candidates. voting in a progressive president without those things is going to do fuck all.
I agree, which is why in my mind, House, senate and local elections to me are far more important than presidential elections until the time when a progressive can win, and actually have the senate and house to pass said Agenda.

With that being said, as someone whose had family members die in the middle east due to Democratic foreign policy under the Obama years, and as someone who is absolutely disgusted with what Joe Biden represents and stands for, me supporting him is out of the question, sorry.

I can respect people's reasons for choosing to vote for Biden and I think that's all fine and good, but I don't think it's unfair for me to personally ask people to respect my decision. You care about your supreme court, and that's fine, frankly I think the way the supreme court is setup is fucking disgusting and no president should be able to have that much of an influence over a court for an entire generation. It's one of the many reforms that needs to happen in this country's government.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get all of this - really I do.

But how do you ask victims of sexual assault to go vote for a sexual assaulter? And if they say no, how do you not understand that their decision is not stupid? (I'm not asking those questions of you Betty, just more in general).

Hopefully people that don't want to vote for Biden still vote downticket.

Obviously if we're talking about a victim of sexual assault then I would completely understand them not voting, of course.

But I think long term, if Trump wins, people who don't vote will review their decision and find severe misgivings.

I won't bully anyone over their decision.

Fugu

Oct 26, 2017
Nope. This conversation has been had before; but no. The whole accelerationist "Burn it all down" is never going to fly with majority, nor the core on the left ever.
My post is about the right thing to do, not the boomer-approved thing to do. Also, I can't tell if people don't know what it means to be accelerationist or if everyone here is just high on political science because a call for holding a political party accountable is not accelerationism.

No it doesn't. Believe women means that you listen to their accounts and not just dismiss them, it doesn't mean automatically accuse and condemn. We literally watched a scenario with Depp play out here where posters screamed at others for not being so quick to call him out because they weren't "believing women" as you put it. The difference being is that they DID listen to what the accuser was saying, but they waited to see how things played out to place further judgment. And it turns out they were correct in that they should wait for more details.

I'm not saying Tara Reade is lying at all, but I want to wait to see how Biden responds to the allegations if he does. And regardless, I'm still voting for Biden because the future of the country depends on it.
I don't care at all about forum politics. Even if I did, the issue here is much larger than a single anecdote. Believing women means taking the default position that an allegation is true and then working from there based on the circumstances. It is based on the statistical reality that most rape accusations are true and that there are a whole host of wrong beliefs about women, sometimes called rape myths, that cause people to categorically incorrectly assess the likelihood that a rape allegation is true.

Biden has been accused by multiple women. The likelihood that all of the allegations are false is extremely low, and if only one of them is true, he's a rapist.

Do you believe the party is that way because it chooses to be or because their voters have made them that way?

Further, is there a reasonable path forward for Democrats on a national level that doesn't involve catering to moderates?
I think that in the eighties and nineties the Democrats, like most political parties in their situation around the world, made a pivot to the right to compensate for the left's failure to adequately respond to neoliberal rhetoric. It's high time they pivoted back.

I don't know if there's a future in which a genuinely leftist Democratic party can thrive in the US, but we're living in a present where the feckless, right-of-center version of the Democratic party right now is failing. It's failing both to take the moral high ground (by choosing to be led by a rapist) and to provide an electable alternative to the Republicans, as evidenced by their continued to failure to consistently win against a party of moral degenerates.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
The democrats didn't learn from 2016, and obviously don't care about winning. They want to withold the status quo.

Make them scared, make them adjust to you. Don't give in to their blue-coloured bullshit because it happens to be blue.

I met a lot of Democrats who cared about winning when canvassing for Stacey Abrams though. I'm not willing to give up on them. I'm not willing to hold an entire party accountable for the actions of powerful white men on top. To me, not continuing that work means giving up on all of them.

I hate this situation. I want a different candidate so badly. But letting Trump walk into re-election means the end of all of that good work so many people have done.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017

Lol so we're voting for Biden then? No other choices at all?

this is how he loses by the way. Dirty him up just enough, and he's well covered in it now.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
So instead of directing this energy at the Democratic establishment to throw their weight behind a less controversial candidate (which is still possible mind you), or the moderates and neoliberals who are willing to put things like with climate change disasters, children in cages, rape, transphobia, etc. on the bargaining table, you...want to scold the people who actually care for the vulnerable with emotional blackmail so that they vote for the shitty guy on your team.

if you're willing to just stand by and watch the much worse guy win because you'd rather stay morally pure than do anything about it then you never really cared very much to begin with

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
Is it though

People like to repeat "both sides bs" almost as much as the moderates who abuse the comparison do tbh

Endless, and I mean endless, posts announcing Democrats and Republicans are the same on Era.

When someone points out important differences, it gets completely ignored.

It's an endless cycle.

Deleted member 2761

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
if you're willing to just stand by and watch the much worse guy win because you'd rather stay morally pure than do anything about it then you never really cared very much to begin with

You must have quoted the wrong person because I have absolutely no idea how your post makes any sense at all in the context of own. Don't you worry your moderate darling head, I'll vote for your rapist out of self-preservation, if nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.