• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You need to understand that any path for Sanders winning the nomination outside of Biden literally dying is impossible at this stage. I see a lot of "Sanders only needs 1100 of the remaining 1700 delegates to win." Without really understanding what ot would actually take for him to win that many. Winning that many delegates would mean winning ALL future contests by MORE THAN a 60-40 split, something that is mathematically impossible with the early voting which has already been accomplished and heavily favors Biden. There is no Hail Mary saving pass that will save Sanders anymore. I voted for Sanders, I still donate to his campaign, and I agree with Biden on little as far as policy. At the same time, Trump is a threat to the literal continued existence of our country and the people in it.

If the American people had any fucking brains they would vote for Sanders overwhelmingly to keep a literal rapist out of the office.

If Biden wins progress wins
Becuase the alternative is trump wins and does everlasting change to the fabric of this country making it IMPOSSIBLE for a bernie/warren like presidency in our lifetimes.

The American people make it impossible for a Bernie/Warren presidency. They don't want progressive candidates even though Democrats seem to like progressive policy. They're dumb fucks who continually vote for rapists or people that cape for rapists.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't believe we have to repeat this constantly.

People really learned nothing from 2016 at all. Or from 2001 with Bush.

You don't think its a privilege? "For the greater good" is always easier when you're not affected.

EDIT: Clarifying my post as I read back and saw you're a victim of sexual assault. I'm glad that you're still willing to vote for Biden which is objectively better praxis than an abstain. I'm just saying that I think its a dark road to go down shaming people who can't do vote for Biden for personal reasons.

Nov 9, 2017
Voting "D" doesn't make me feel good if the party does not have the collective backbone to keep this man away from the presidential nomination. Its really not too late to do something now.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
This is the problem with accusation like this. Sooo many people here have already written off Biden and found him guilty just on one persons words. Of course you should take all claims seriously, but people have got to stop assuming guilt until actual evidence or legitimate corroboration presents itself.

I think it's also the fact that the thirst for revenge seems to override anyone's rational decision making about the future.

It's game theory but nobody understands the theory. Punishing one person's bad actions simply isn't worth an exponentially bad outcome for everybody else.

Oct 28, 2017
I was a victim of sexual assault when I was 9. Our babysitter forced me to have sex with her while my parents went out for the night. Though I've mostly come to terms with it, I would be lying if I said this incident didn't cause me lasting damage.

Biden can fuck off into the sun. For what he has done I would not shed a single fucking tear if he kicked the bucket. The mere thought of him makes my skin crawl. But if Biden is the nominee in November then I will swallow the bitterest of pills and vote for him. Because the alternative is more damage to more people for another 4 years, plus at least another 20+ years because of the SC.

However, I refuse to brow beat other victims if they cannot force themselves to support him. And anyone who does so is fucking disgusting.

MrGerbils

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The Dems problem is always enthusiasm. You've gotta get people excited to go to the polls.

You're not going to be able to shame people to the polls.

Rather than trying to prop up Biden by shaming them, you could instead maybe reevaluate the situation, realize that the primary isn't over yet, and there's still a candidate in the race that inspires true excitement.

Kasumin

Nov 19, 2017
Man, this thread is pissing me off more than any thread on this forum ever has. We went through shit like this in 2016 and people still want to repeat history.

I'm not happy about Biden! But you know what I'm even angrier about? THE FACT THAT REPUBLICANS PUT ME IN THE POSITION WHERE I AM WORRIED FOR MY FUTURE AND MY LIFE.

How fucking hard is it to see that? Republicans have made things so bad in this country that our choices are more constrained than before. Biden got a lot of votes in primaries from older voters and black voters who associated him with Obama. Bernie was popular among young people and guess what? They didn't fucking show up! So get mad at them and Republicans.

Let's focus on fixing the problem now because we're at a fucking precipice.

Trump isn't normal! He likely has narcissistic personality disorder, for fuck's sake. You can't put him on the same level as Biden.

I'm voting the way I am because I don't want to die before I even get to retire. I don't want my family to suffer. If that means compromising my morals, then so be it. But Republicans ultimately put me in this position, not Democrats.

I'm voting for a future. The US plays a huge role in the world stage and I'm scared for a future where China is the new super power because they will erode all of the twentieth century gains made in human rights.

Look at the big picture, for God's sake! I don't care if it makes you feel worse morally. When you're backed into a corner, your options are limited. It fucking sucks.

Blame Republicans who backed us into this corner to begin with!

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
This is the problem with accusation like this. Sooo many people here have already written off Biden and found him guilty just on one persons words. Of course you should take all claims seriously, but people have got to stop assuming guilt until actual evidence or legitimate corroboration presents itself.

I wrote off Biden before this because of how he treats prospective voters and his overall record on policy that goes back decades. Add on to this a credible accusation of rape and he can get fucked into the sun.

Man, this thread is pissing me off more than any thread on this forum ever has. We went through shit like this in 2016 and people still want to repeat history.

I'm not happy about Biden! But you know what I'm even angrier about? THE FACT THAT REPUBLICANS PUT ME IN THE POSITION WHERE I AM WORRIED FOR MY FUTURE AND MY LIFE.

How fucking hard is it to see that? Republicans have made things so bad in this country that our choices are more constrained than before. Biden got a lot of votes in primaries from older voters and black voters who associated him with Obama. Bernie was popular among young people and guess what? They didn't fucking show up! So get mad at them and Republicans.

Let's focus on fixing the problem now because we're at a fucking precipice.

Trump isn't normal! He likely has narcissistic personality disorder, for fuck's sake. You can't put him on the same level as Biden.

I'm voting the way I am because I don't want to die before I even get to retire. I don't want my family to suffer. If that means compromising my morals, then so be it. But Republicans ultimately put me in this position, not Democrats.

I'm voting for a future. The US plays a huge role in the world stage and I'm scared for a future where China is the new super power because they will erode all of the twentieth century gains made in human rights.

Look at the big picture, for God's sake! I don't care if it makes you feel worse morally. When you're backed into a corner, your options are limited. It fucking sucks.

Blame Republicans who backed us into this corner to begin with!

I agree with most of this however you can't absolve Democrats or Democratic voters of part of this blame. What does it say about how our country that our election is going to be between two old white men who have rape accusations?

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think they may just have drop Biden. His communication during all that's happening, combined with the rape allegations are going to sour him as a candidate to a decent chunk of voters. He's on the path to being unelectable.

If the DNC keep him as a candidate, then they get what they get.

Oct 27, 2017
I would not call those people privileged, no.

But elections aren't just about me and my feelings. That's all.

It's not even just pragmatism, really. It's also empathy for others who will suffer far, far more than I would under a Trump presidency (being a white cishet Canadian, I won't get the brunt of it, even if his climate change shit and sharing a border still affects us).

We live in reality. Closing our eyes to it does not change that. Politics affects us all. As adults, our vote is one way in which we get to affect this reality that affects us all. As adults, we have a responsibility to make this reality we live in the best we can, and to vote responsibly. Sometimes our choices are taken from us, or limited in ways that they barely feel like choices at all. And that sucks, I can't emphasize how frustrating it is. But reality doesn't care about feelings, or conscience. Voting with your conscience alone, and disregarding the reality of the situation, is not going to help make things better for anyone (except the ultra-rich I guess).

...Excuse me?
My vote, doesn't mean shit in a system that is perpetuated by people that actually have and use personal connections, money, and authority to give us the choice between two rapists and insist we choose the better one. We're not going to vote our way into a more just world.

Quad Lasers

Oct 26, 2017
It's always curious how these topics always center themselves on culpability of people not opting to vote for the "lesser of two evils"

Instead of the democratic party as a collective not, y'know, meeting the bare minimum threshold of not putting forward an absolute fucking shitheel. If voters ultimately aren't mobilized to one of the worst possible candidates that was chosen from a huge field of options, who's fault is that.

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
If you vote in your local elections every 2-4 years then the president wouldn't have the power to change those things anyways.

Objectively false, president nominates the SCOTUS Justice and the senate confirms. The president also has near sole authority to control our borders.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

That's not really any different than how we'd be reacting if this were literally any other person then. #BelieveWomen didn't have an asterisk on the end.

I'll be the first to say that I'm confused about the way to move forward but Biden shouldn't get a pass or be treated differently because he's "our guy".

Biden hasn't even formally secured the nomination yet. He's not the only person in the world that can be competitive against Donald Trump.

Erpy

May 31, 2018
It's a classic example of the Trolley Problem, except the number of people on the lower track is multiplied by a few million.

Trolley+dilemma+survey+poll+gypsydude2_e95bd6_6786692.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty remarkable how many of you are unwilling to acknowledge that rape isn't the only horrible thing that happens on earth.

You're sitting in a restaurant, you're starving, and the main ingredient in every single menu item is shit. That's the reality you actually live in. Eat up.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I would have thought that after all the harm and horrible things Trump has done over the past four years that we've had thread after thread after thread on that we would all be excited to a person to get a chance to vote him out.

Is this what normalization looks like when we equate a Biden presidency to being just as bad as a Trump presidency so what's the difference?

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Personally I think they may just have drop Biden. His communication during all that's happening, combined with the rape allegations are going to sour him as a candidate to a decent chunk of voters. He's on the path to being unelectable.

If the DNC keep him as a candidate, then they get what they get.
The dnc didn't elect biden
Voters did

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would not call those people privileged, no.

But elections aren't just about me and my feelings. That's all.

It's not even just pragmatism, really. It's also empathy for others who will suffer far, far more than I would under a Trump presidency (being a white cishet Canadian, I won't get the brunt of it, even if his climate change shit and sharing a border still affects us).

We live in reality. Closing our eyes to it does not change that. Politics affects us all. As adults, our vote is one way in which we get to affect this reality that affects us all. As adults, we have a responsibility to make this reality we live in the best we can, and to vote responsibly. Sometimes our choices are taken from us, or limited in ways that they barely feel like choices at all. And that sucks, I can't emphasize how frustrating it is. But reality doesn't care about feelings, or conscience. Voting with your conscience alone, and disregarding the reality of the situation, is not going to help make things better for anyone (except the ultra-rich I guess).

...Excuse me?
I understand that, but to suggest that such a decision is only about one's personal feelings or conscience is also wrong. There are millions of sexual abuse/assault victims in the US, not to mention the millions around the globe. Watching another abuser be elected president, with society having knowledge about the abuse and giving them that power anyway, has huge ramifications for those millions of victims. That is also a form of suffering, and we are suffering every day under the current rapist president and would continue to suffer under another one. To suggest this is just about any individual person's feelings is wrong.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
JFC now we're on to "this will be on your head"? When has it ever been okay here to support rapists to such a degree?

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's also the fact that the thirst for revenge seems to override anyone's rational decision making about the future.

It's game theory but nobody understands the theory. Punishing one person's bad actions simply isn't worth an exponentially bad outcome for everybody else.
Most of these people I hope are never selected for jury duty.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Voting is almost always the lesser of 2 evils.
The Dems problem is always enthusiasm. You've gotta get people excited to go to the polls.

You're not going to be able to shame people to the polls.

Rather than trying to prop up Biden by shaming them, you could instead maybe reevaluate the situation, realize that the primary isn't over yet, and there's still a candidate in the race that inspires true excitement.
Have you seen the primary results? Bernie is nonviable in like a dozen stages.

Modest Mauser

Jan 12, 2018
Don't vote for the rapist putting children in cages! Vote for the rapist who built the cages!

(I will vote for Biden, but I don't believe that trying to morally shame people who have decided otherwise will be effective at all.)

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I understand that, but to suggest that such a decision is only about one's personal feelings or conscience is also wrong. There are millions of sexual abuse/assault victims in the US, not to mention the millions around the globe. Watching another abuser be elected president, with society having knowledge about the abuse and giving them that power anyway, has huge ramifications for those millions of victims. That is also a form of suffering, and we are suffering every day under the current rapist president and would continue to suffer under another one. To suggest this is just about any individual person's feelings is wrong.
Your point would be stronger if the alternative wasn't also a rapist

It's not a choice between a rapist and a non-rapist, it's a choice between two rapists, one of whom puts more rapists on SCOTUS and will do more worse shit, and the other won't
biden is the likely nominee so no.
Touché

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
i'm not too worried about it really since I feel like the whole not voting thing is a bit overstated in general

outside of a few diehards anyone that wouldn't show up to vote in an election that Trump is involved in at this point(one way or another) was probably never gonna vote to begin with

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It's pretty remarkable how many of you are unwilling to acknowledge that rape isn't the only horrible thing that happens on earth.

You're sitting in a restaurant, you're starving, and the main ingredient in every single menu item is shit. That's the reality you actually live in. Eat up.
There was one good thing on the menu and I ordered it. But the restaurant said, "Sorry, not enough people ordered that to justify us making it today. I guess everyone's appetite for shit is just too strong."

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I will not blame anyone for not wanting to vote for an accused rapist. Do what you feel is best for your conscience. I really fucking hope Bernie wins the nomination.

Heromanz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm not too worried about it really since I feel like the whole not voting thing is a bit overstated in general

outside of a few diehards anyone that wouldn't show up to vote in an election that Trump is involved in at this point(one way or another) was probably never gonna vote to begin with
Or they just don't want to vote for a racist rapists Democrat. The irony of it

unknownspectator

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, voting for Biden is telling the Democrats that you are happy with the status quo, that you would vote for anyone even a rapist if to improve things marginally. They will never improve if that's the message they receive. Of course, it's the responsibility of the voters to not vote for someone like biden on the first place as a nominee, I'm not forgetting that, but the DNC are also only interested in the status quo and I do believe that needs to be shattered. I'm not interested in baby steps, small progression is easily erased as these last 4 years proved. I want big changes, that's what I'm gunning for.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Well then they support an actual murderer and nazi sympathizer. its really that simple.
This is an absolutely disgusting, repugnant accusation to hurl at people--many of who have themselves been a victim of rape and sexual violence--who can't bring themselves to cast their votes for a rapist. Utterly sickening and Trump-like. You and everyone in this thread applauding this vile sentiment should be ashamed of themselves.

Jun 10, 2018
I was a victim of sexual assault when I was 9. Our babysitter forced me to have sex with her while my parents went out for the night. Though I've mostly come to terms with it, I would be lying if I said this incident didn't cause me lasting damage.

Biden can fuck off into the sun. For what he has done I would not shed a single fucking tear if he kicked the bucket. The mere thought of him makes my skin crawl. But if Biden is the nominee in November then I will swallow the bitterest of pills and vote for him. Because the alternative is more damage to more people for another 4 years, plus at least another 20+ years because of the SC.

Howeverever, I refuse to brow beat other victims if they cannot force themselves to support him. And anyone who does so is fucking disgusting.
Concur strongly.

It's always wild how some people start to exhibit the same authoritarian qualities they accuse Trump of possessing when they desire a particular outcome.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I suppose I would have thought that after all the harm and horrible things Trump has done over the past four years that we've had thread after thread after thread on that we would all be excited to a person to get a chance to vote him out.

Is this what normalization looks like when we equate a Biden presidency to being just as bad as a Trump presidency so what's the difference?

I'm going to get banned if I respond how I'd like to a post like this.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
Biden is awful but it wasn't long ago that Trump was calling the coronavirus a hoax, on top of the million other things he has said and done in his term. I'd vote for Biden if I could.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
and if a senate refuses to vote on a single nominee for the entire period of a president the present will pack the courts

Yeah just like in 2016 when we had Obama and people didn't vote in their damn local elections and Trump got the nominee anyways. So it's not ALL on president as we just saw and you're saying that's objectively false which in itself is objectively false.

How about when Biden loses all his midterms and he finally gets a chance to put someone up in 2022-2024 and republicans just block it again until they win 2024.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
The thing is, voting for Biden is telling the Democrats that you are happy with the status quo, that you would vote for anyone even a rapist if to improve things marginally. They will never improve if that's the message they receive. Of course, it's the responsibility of the voters to not vote for someone like biden on the first place as a nominee, I'm not forgetting that, but the DNC are also only interested in the status quo and I do believe that needs to be shattered. I'm not interested in baby steps, small progression is easily erased as these last 4 years proved. I want big changes, that's what I'm gunning for.

The status quo is Trump, not Biden.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Do what you feel you have to, but I think minorities can't afford to be idealists. You have to bite your tongue and play their game for the sake of survival. As a Canadian, last year this meant voting for the guy who did blackface.

Make no mistake, you are not a hero for setting aside your convictions and revulsion to vote for a lesser evil. You are making a purely pragmatic choice. You are letting a corrupt system be further broken because the alternative uses a hammer instead of a chisel. But I don't think the world needs heroes.
I think the majority of members of this forum is too young and/or idealistic to make a pragmatic decision.

So everybody loses.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your point would be stronger if the alternative wasn't also a rapist

It's not a choice between a rapist and a non-rapist, it's a choice between two rapists, one of whom puts more rapists on SCOTUS and will do more worse shit, and the other won't

Touché
Right I'm well aware of that fact, I said as much in my post. Honestly, as someone who was sexually abused as a child, I'm working through my feelings on this new information right now. That's why I'm having this dialogue with you, because I respect your viewpoint and I know you understand this kind of trauma. The idea of two abusers running against each other to be the leader of this country is so goddamn demoralizing and dire to me I can hardly put it into words. I worry what that does to the millions of victims in this country, I worry it sends the message that no one cares what happened to you. Do you understand where I'm coming from?

Charizard

Oct 25, 2017
Biden winning the nomination would put me in an awful position.

Long story short I have been sexually assaulted but am also queer so like beating Trump is via but like

But why the fuck is Biden so close to being the nominee to begin with over all the better candidates ugh

And now the "He has the best shot of beating Trump!" argument doesn't hold any water since IMO only Republicans are immune to rape accusations so lordy

Fuck

I

Ugh fuck this country. I will vote for whoever the dem candidate is but will cry and bitch the whole time if it is Biden

Sidebuster

Oct 26, 2017
California
It's a classic example of the Trolley Problem, except the number of people on the lower track is multiplied by a few million.

Trolley+dilemma+survey+poll+gypsydude2_e95bd6_6786692.jpg
The difference is, there is a real person on one and a theoretical million people on the other far down where you can't even see for sure there would be damage. Those theoretical millions could potentially be on the track of the rape victim as well depending on what it means to vote in a rapist. It could set back the me too movement and cause a lot of harm. Then there's climate change happening where regardless of who's president of the USA is going to destroy the world.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I think the majority of members of this forum is too young and/or idealistic to make a pragmatic decision.

So everybody loses.

I chose Bernie.
People on here: "He can't get anything done because he's too idealistic"
Now it comes out that Biden is a rapist.
People on here: "I guess they're too idealistic to vote for Biden."

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?!

Silent

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I will vote for whomever the Democratic nominee is because the reality is whoever is president at the end of the year will be either that nominee or Donald Trump. However, I don't blame anyone who cannot bring themselves to vote Biden. As regrettable a reality it is, these people are not the problem. It's the Trump voters who should be shamed.

Spock

Oct 27, 2017
The dnc didn't elect biden
Voters did

Indeed, but I'm talking about the DNC having to make a decision given the change in circumstances.

Personally I think Biden's response during the current virus situation has been weak and shows lack of leadership, but bigger then that, the rape allegation may have sealed his fate as a lost cause candidate.

If he's now tainted with a enough of the Democratic base he's going to lose. Some republican voters might be willing to put rape allegations to the side to win an election, but I don't think that's going to work with a measurable portion of the democratic base.

Trying to get people on board to consider the bigger picture is a risk and most likely a losing proposition for Democrats given the rape allegation.

I think they need to figure things out and pivot ASAP or Democrats may literally be securing a loss in the next election.

Status
Not open for further replies.