• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

John198X

Nov 9, 2018
So what happens when these are removed from digital storefronts? Will the only real viable way to obtain these games be piracy?

That's a genuine question btw, I'm not advocating, I just don't know what normally happens in these situations. I don't imagine it's all that reasonable to pay what I assume would be very high physical prices for a dead company's game?

Welcome to the dilemma presented by 99% of games released pre-digital distribution.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Are Back to the Future and Wallace and Grommit affected by this as well? The article makes it confusing by not providing a list, but I guess they count as well.

So, uh... Game preservation. That's important, everyone. I'm going to hunt down whatever Telltale Games have had physical releases just for collections' sake. So far all I have is Sam & Max Season 2, but I somehow missed out on SBCG4AP. That was never released physically, right?
Isn't buying them on GoG enough for preservation, as the files are drm-free?

Mylonite

May 15, 2019
I wouldn't worry too much about this as something tells me Telltale was picked up by a particular company with an announcement close to E3.

Though I don't like losing out on DRM options.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hm, I don't think I will go through with any of them, but how is Guardians of the Galaxy?

Might try the mobile versions of that and Borderlands, just to see how they are like there.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are Back to the Future and Wallace and Grommit affected by this as well? The article makes it confusing by not providing a list, but I guess they count as well.

Wallace & Gromit was pulled years ago, as the original game was unfortunately not particularly successful and they clearly weren't going to do anything with the license again. Same goes for Bone, which was left unfinished before they released the first season of Sam & Max.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
This sucks. I already own almost all of their games post TWD (and few from before), but they made some legit great games so it's a bummer more people don't necessarily get to experience them. I'd still like to get their GotG game though, even if it wasn't nearly their best work.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Isn't buying them on GoG enough for preservation, as the files are drm-free?

Depends on if they eventually lose the right to provide you those copies from their servers.

Yarbskoo

Oct 27, 2017
I just realized I bought most of them from Telltale's Store...

Well shit. I better back up those installers I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the Telltale collection got removed from Steam a little earlier today. Bit of a shame as that was probably the cheapest way to pick up everything that was still up on steam.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Forgive my ignorance, But why? Why can't they just let them be there? Why should they be removed?

Licenses for characters, brands, and music can be nightmare. Telltale's creditors may own many of these games now.

Technically with nowhere to purchase it would surely be considered abandonware and therefore would not be piracy but rather preservation?

Nope, the games are still owned by someone. It's just that it can be a expensive legal process to figure out which entity that is.

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh, so, should I buy them on Steam and Xbox just in case they get pulled from there, too? I have Wolf, Game of Thrones, and Borderlands from Games with Gold, but I want the Batman games as well.
I hope they give a heads up if they plan to pull the plug...

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
They shouldn't expire even if the game are pulled from sale, but I have a handful of Steam keys for games if people want them:
  • Batman: The Enemy Within (2nd season)
  • Poker Night at the Inventory
  • 2x Puzzle Agent
  • 2x Puzzle Agent 2
  • The Walking Dead - Season 1
The Walking Dead too? It's now a EGS timed exclusive and I want it on Steam.
I don't believe it's a timed exclusive. If you bought it on Steam before Telltale shut down, you get the rest of the episodes.
If you didn't buy it on Steam, the only way to get it will likely be on EGS, since Epic helped complete the season.
The only exception if you really want it on Steam is that WinGameStore/MacGameStore have been selling their remaining Steam keys, but those are sold at full price and require a direct link (won't appear in the site's search results).
But I don't think it will be affected by this.

One of the frustrating things about the final season is that the tool to recreate your saves was web-based and linked to your Telltale account, rather than being built into the game - so it no longer works.
My saves apparently did import (on PC, I've had saves carried over from every game) but the recap at the start did not show one of my choices correctly. I don't know if it's an oversight or the save was not imported correctly, but it discouraged me from playing the episode.

Hm, I don't think I will go through with any of them, but how is Guardians of the Galaxy?
Might try the mobile versions of that and Borderlands, just to see how they are like there.
Don't expect iOS purchases to last. As soon as they stop paying their yearly fees, the games will be pulled from the store and you won't be able to download them again. You will have to use an old version of iTunes and sync them to a computer to keep a backup - and who knows how much longer that will work for?

Last edited:

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Don't expect iOS purchases to last. As soon as they stop paying their yearly fees, the games will be pulled from the store and you won't be able to download them again. You will have to use an old version of iTunes and sync them to a computer to keep a backup - and who knows how much longer that will work for?

I am on Android actually, but either way, just tried Guardians and the framerate is bad while there doesn't seem to be a option to adjust the quality, so forget it. I wish Guardians made it to the switch (I guess it was going to be, but Telltale closing down maybe changed that).

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
They shouldn't expire even if the game are pulled from sale, but I have a handful of Steam keys for games if people want them:
  • Batman: The Enemy Within (2nd season)
  • Poker Night at the Inventory
  • 2x Puzzle Agent
  • 2x Puzzle Agent 2
  • The Walking Dead - Season 1

I don't believe it's a timed exclusive. If you bought it on Steam before Telltale shut down, you get the rest of the episodes.
If you didn't buy it on Steam, the only way to get it will likely be on EGS, since Epic helped complete the season.
The only exception if you really want it on Steam is that WinGameStore/MacGameStore have been selling their remaining Steam keys, but those are sold at full price and require a direct link (won't appear in the site's search results).
But I don't think it will be affected by this.

One of the frustrating things about the final season is that the tool to recreate your saves was web-based and linked to your Telltale account, rather than being built into the game - so it no longer works.
My saves apparently did import (on PC, I've had saves carried over from every game) but the recap at the start did not show one of my choices correctly. I don't know if it's an oversight or the save was not imported correctly, but it discouraged me from playing the episode.

Thanks, I'll just get it on PS4 then. Already have season 1 there anyway.

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I used to love telltale when they still made point and click games but then they started making the animated choose your own adventure stuff and I just fell off really hard. I think I have some of their games post Sam and Max but now I feel a need to go buy all of them. I don't know if it's a completionist feeling or maybe I'll really like some of them. I've always heard good things about wolf...

Maybe they'll go on sale one last time before they're pulled from everything. Probably not though.

Edit after looking at steam I own everything except the last three seasons of walking dead, both batmans, game of thrones (which my gf would probably like), tales from borderlands, and gotg

guess I did have wolf afterall

Last edited:

Megatron

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a plan for them to collect the Walking Dead final season and release a collection of all the games physically? (On console) is that Dead?

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
Damn, so many great games. :(

This means I will never get Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People again, that's what made me fell in love with Telltale.

Bricky

Oct 26, 2017
I just realized I bought most of them from Telltale's Store...

Well shit. I better back up those installers I guess.

I checked today and it seems Telltale accounts have gone offline, so with it access to games. Had Tales of Monkey Island and TWD:S2 on there so that was a bummer.

I even shot a quick message to Green Man Gaming support as I originally bought TWD:S2 from them and figured they might have some Steam keys left from before the games were pulled but turns out they only ever sold the Telltale DRM keys.

Perhaps just having the installer for TWD:S2 (or other post-TWD games) will still let you authenticate with the Telltale servers. Everything pre-TWD had been made available DRM free so at that point I guess morally justified pirating becomes the only option.

NeoandGeo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Advocating piracy.
So, uh... Game preservation. That's important, everyone. I'm going to hunt down whatever Telltale Games have had physical releases just for collections' sake. So far all I have is Sam & Max Season 2, but I somehow missed out on SBCG4AP. That was never released physically, right?

Piracy has you covered.

Damn, so many great games. :(

This means I will never get Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People again, that's what made me fell in love with Telltale.

The games are all readily available for you for free, and with the current situation, obtaining them is the responsible thing to do.

Last edited:

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if the physical copies on PS4/XB1 will be affected yet or not? I have most of the TT games on disc for PS4, but I'm wondering if I should go pick up the ones I'm missing with this stuff happening.

I know that some (or all?) of them had like one episode or a few episodes on disc and then the rest had to be downloaded.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
dunno if it's affected but i guess it's time to finally pick up BttF. played some of it and it was meh but on virtue of being the unofficial BttF4 it was always something i wanted to play through but forgot about

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any impressions on GotG? Might pick it up, but I always heard "meh" things about it.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the disc version of Minecraft Story Mode Season 2 works on PS4 or Xbox? I can't find confirmation that you can still download all the episodes with it.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Do we know if this is just for GOG or will these games get pulled from all stores?

They are going to most likely be pulled from every storefront while the rights are assessed and new owners take over. That could be complicated given the licenses and who owns distribution rights. For instance, does Disney now control Monkey Island? What about Tales from the Borderlands (Gearbox? Another company?).

From there it's a question of whether the new distributors want to put the games back up for sale. That can get complicated because sometimes businesses don't even realize what they own or ownership can be split between holders.

I'd suspect most of the games resurface but there is never a guarantee.