• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thank you for your take on The Walking Dead series, Telltale... it was the only thing that could make me give a fuck about the series

Jadusable

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this comes as a shock to all their employees or just a few.

I mean if every one of their launches was a financial failure after TWD:S1... that kind of talk had to have at least gotten around to some people. The writing had to be on the wall for at least SOME people as more and more of their games bombed.

I hope so, anyway. The alternative is just awful.

Whompa

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Sounds like sales were the big killer...The entire narrative based game industry is so absolutely fucked if this shit can be watched, for free, on youtube and twitch. It's completely disgusting...people need to pay and play for their entertainment, not just simply watch them FOR FREE...

b00

Oct 28, 2017
Man this news hurts. Telltale is one of my favorite devs. Hope everyone lands on their feet with opportunities to stay in the industry. Lots of talent gone just like that. Now we'll never get the second season to the wolf among us :'(

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
The aftermath of this is going to be wild, particularly from a preservation standpoint. Telltale's catalog is largely two things: licensed and fully digital. Even a lot of their retail releases didn't actually include the full game (speaking of, if anyone knows which of their retail releases actually include the full games, that might be useful). And licensing always makes things difficult to re-release down the line. I think the Wallace and Gromit game was already delisted?

Like, who gets the assets, code, and all that for Strong Bad's game? The Chapman Bros obviously retain the IP and licensing rights, but they're probably not set up to preserve any game assets like Microsoft (for Minecraft) or WB (for Batman) may be.

In short, if you have an urge to preserve any of these, whether for your own interests or just to play again in the future, get crackin' on that now.

Oct 27, 2017
Damn how does this happen, I thought their games sold well. With reused assets and the same engine since forever I always imagined they were profitable. Guess I was very wrong. I hope everyone lands on their feet.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Telltale is a company that consistently ship products, its not like they cook a single huge budget aaa game over 6 years only for it to flop, how can this happen without a downsizing first? This shouldnt have taken them by surprise

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
Very sudden, but not shocking when you consider how incredibly fast they expanded and how many projects they took on after TWD dropped and became a huge hit. They were tiny, got a hit, then obtained licenses and employees at an absurd rate.

It felt like a bubble, but I just didn't expect it to burst out of nowhere like this.

Arion

Oct 26, 2017
Walking Dead season 1, Wolf Among us and Tales from the borderlands where real gems so it's a shame they are shutting down. Their trademark genre was getting pretty crowded and most of the competition were simply better than them in terms of visuals and engine.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i gotta say i basically lost track of tell tale games. there's a guardians of the galaxy game in a humble bundle right now and i was like huuuuuh when did rhat happen

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
God damn, I really grew to love their stories despite the technical issues. I swear they were doing well recently.. selling on ever platform possible.

This means no Wolf Among Us 2.. or Batman.. or Borderlands .. :(
MS should have acquired them, their model is literally a perfect fit or Game Pass. Or at least get those devs affected and form a team, hope they all land on their feet soon. Narratively they are a very talented bunch.

Saatchquatch

Oct 27, 2017
So not only are they shutting down completely out of nowhere, but it also transpires that the vast majority of their awesome games over the years weren't even successful?

This is absolutely heartbreaking.

Hopefully all the super talented folk who worked there land on their feet, at least.

;_;

BigMack

Oct 27, 2017
Which of their games had good physical releases and which ones didn't? I remember that the physical release of TWD Season 1 was trashed for being way more buggy than the digital version. I have no idea if they ever patched it at any point.

I'm trying to figure out which of their games I should grab digitally before they disappear and which ones I can sit on because I can eventually get them on a disc.
Most of the disk versions of their games are season pass disks. Meaning you have to put the disk in then download all the eps. Some disks have the first ep included on the disk and you download the rest. Very few (most of TWD games) have all the eps on the disks.

Edit: Had some incorrect info about needing a Telltale account. No account is needed to download the episodes

Last edited:

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow after seeing this I'm no longer shocked by the news. Had no idea their sales crashed this hard.

ZqRGKJa.png

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Most of the disk versions of their games are season pass disks. Meaning you have to put the disk in, login w a telltale account (which may not exist for much longer) then download all the eps. Some disks have the first ep included on the disk and you download the rest. Very few (most of TWD games) have all the eps on the disks.
You do not need a telltale account to download anything on PS4.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
just trying to think of ways this was avoidable and man all i can really say is this is really sad news. hope the guys/gals there can find work quick elsewhere

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Telltale is a company that consistently ship products, its not like they cook a single huge budget aaa game over 6 years only for it to flop, how can this happen without a downsizing first? This shouldnt have taken them by surprise
They did downsize, they had a lay off of 25% of their staff like a year ago, they were trying to restructure. Consistently making games is an old model, there's a reason the big publishers have moved away from releasing tons if games all the time and now only release a few games a year.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
Damn. I figured "hire all the people and acquire all the licences" was working out for them since they kept doubling down on it.

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Damn, what a fucking bummer. They were taking way too many projects so maybe they were stretching themselves thin? Best of luck to all of those dudes, and here is hoping they get back on their feet.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Another unfortunate reality is I got all of their best games in Humble Bundle

And Batman as a free PS+ game

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What the hell, they were here and gone in a moment. It's like TWD blew up around 5 years ago, they over-expanded with a tooon of projects, then just died in an instant.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Pretty awful for all those affected.
They sadly saturated their own subgenre, and got too big too quickly without changing their ways. Shame we won't get Wolf S2, and hopefully those laid off will bounce back quickly.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's sad to hear about the loss of jobs for anyone. But I'm not entirely surprised. They spread themselves way too thin across too many licences. Made no improvements to their animations or engine until it was way too late (animations and performance is still poor) and persisted with the episodic release method which most people simple waited for sales for once all episodes had released.

plake

Nov 3, 2017
I'm a huge fan of telltale and it's devastating to hear of this.

Telltale's games got my girlfriend interested in story heavy games and we've been playing through literally all Telltale games since TWD1 was out. We are both super hyped for Season 4 and this literally came out of nowhere (for us at least).

I'm super sad we won't get proper closure in TWAU but even more sad for the loss of jobs at Telltale. Hope you all land on your feet real soon and thanks for the memories.