• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I know, I know, shocking news given that the CEO of Unity is on their board of directors.

Telltale said:
Unity Gameplay Engineer
Engineering / Build San Rafael, California

Telltale's Gameplay Programmer group is responsible for bringing the visions of the designers and artists to life, as well as contributing in meaningful ways to user interactions and overall game play. Working on small product teams alongside industry innovators in game narrative design and cinematography, push the boundaries about how players consume and experience games. You will be working in both Unity and proprietary Telltale toolsets. You can help to create tons of amazing content for Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC, Mac, iOS, and Android.
Source: https://telltale.com/jobs/job/obnK6fw8

Telltale said:
Senior Tools Engineer
Telltale's Core Engineering group is responsible for developing tools and libraries used by Telltale's artists, designers, and Lua programmers to create content for Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, iOS, PC, Mac, and Android. Tools Engineers at Telltale develop software with the most intuitive and powerful user-experience possible, to enable artists to do the highest quality work they can. A background in UX is desirable, as is any prior experience developing UI using the Qt library suite or Unity.

Responsibilities:
  • Design and implement GUI tools used by designers and artists to create Telltale content
  • Create custom Qt and Unity Editor widgets such as curve editors, graph editors and debuggers
  • Emulate various commercial tools such as Photoshop, After Effects, Maya, Pro Tools, Final Cut, and Unity
Preferred Skills and Experience:
  • Experience with extending the Unity toolset
Source: http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/senior-tools-engineer-san-rafael-california-32617

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Unity is a good engine, the problem is a lot of bad developers use it because it's so cheap and easy to use.

The people at Telltale should do a good job with it, should be better than their current engine that they've been using for more than 10 years.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
It's a start. Isn't the head of TT really adamant about them using the engine he created? Or am I thinking of a different developer?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
So let's go from an unoptimized house engine that runs like crap on consoles to an unoptimized engine that SOMETIMES runs like crap on consoles. Improvement!

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So switch from one terrible engine to another?
Who decides this stuff there, they need a new person doing that.

Last edited:

DOBERMAN INC

Oct 27, 2017
My main issue with Telltale was the engine so this is a positive in my eyes, as long as we don't see Playmaker in the credits.(for console atleast)

Chittagong

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Good. While Unity is pretty pedestrian, I have rarely hated anything as much in gaming as their garbage in-house engine, so literally anything is an improvement and might get me try their games again

VillagerMax

Nov 4, 2017
Considering the fact that their current engine didn't have a physics engine until 2016, requiring that they hand animate a book falling off of a shelf, I'd say that this is a welcome change.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
At least there are some decent facial animation software plug-ins available for Unity. This is one aspect of Telltale's games that always fell short for me. Especially given how their games revolve around cinematic's and telling stories.

Unity makes sense given that it is cross platform (maybe we will see some Linux ports now?) and supports a wide variety of platforms.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It will be interesting seeing how it plays out on consoles. Their current engine definitely has problems, often jarring me out of the experience for a moment.

Cirerus

Oct 30, 2017

Unity is a great engine. I hope this decision turns out to be a good change for everyone, gamers and developers

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
giphy.gif

Katori

Oct 30, 2017
This is awesome, I bet the programmers and developers there have been itching for this.

Anyone who's played Life is Strange: Before the Storm knows this is a good idea.

How is its performance, particularly on consoles? The first one was extremely unoptimized on PS4.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Every Unity game I've played has had performance issues so I'm not exactly jumping for joy here, I love TGG but I don't see the point of moving from one shit engine to another shit one.

Kindekuma

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unity? I guess that makes sense since it's already well suited for multiplatforms out of the box.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Unity gets a bad rap but it can't possibly be worse than what they've been using.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
If the majority are criticizing Unity for its performance hits on consoles games, why nothing happens to Unity? As in, you know, backlashes, official public PRs addressing the performance issues, etc.?

I am guessing the "majority" is actually the "vocal minority". And because of this, game developers moving / transitioning over to Unity is "no big deal". If it works, it works. If it makes developers' lives easier, then why not? If the issues are just "1% to 5% slowdown" for the 100% guarantee rate being about to ship the product out, why not?

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
People who don't under

Unity is a great engine. I hope this decision turns out to be a good change for everyone, gamers and developers

People who don't understand tools comment in then anyway. News at 11.

Follow that video, Unity should consider updatin it's logo to make it clear it's the free version to help better set expectations. It's uniquity is driving the quality perception among the some gamers.

It's weird I don't recall Havok getting that reputation despite being in Almost all Wii shovelware.

MrCunningham

Banned
Nov 15, 2017
Neill Blomkamp's team at Oats Studio's actually did a pretty good job showing off the cinematic possibilities of the latest beta build's of the Unity (5.x) engine:

I think it shows a lot of potential for Telltale Games. I would rather see them use this in future titles than their busted old proprietary engine.

ApeEscaper

Oct 27, 2017
Bangladeshi
Latest versions of Unity improved alot especially now with consoles so this is good

If the game still performs badly then you can blame the developers

Last edited:

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Unity is fine now. It's time to drop the idea that it's a terrible engine. Is it the most efficient engine ever? Absolutely not, but it's a competent solution for the types of games they will be making.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
Life is Strange: Before the Storm uses Unity and it runs as well as the first game did (which used UE3).

Unity is a perfectly fine engine to use for this sort of game.