• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
It is but it isnt? Is the best way I describe it. Pokemon Sword and Shield going full over the shoulder and pokemon in the overworld is the best thing. While TemTems approach to other things is also better.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Rivals of Aether, brawlout.

Rivals of Aether has some depth and a lobby system based on competitive but is likely fun for anyone tbh. Its mechanically simpler than Smash in some ways ie. no edges, non analogue, parry instead of shield mechanics or spot dodging, much smaller roster. Haven't tried Brawlout because it just didn't look all that appealing to me.

It its literally only Rivals then its more that most of the clones just aren't all that good (brawlhalla is a fun f2p version)

I also don't know about this comparison presenting this as a "for competitive/hardcore" when Pokemon has such a thriving competitive scene due to the depth that already exists. SwSh already had a few invitational events. Matching what Pokemon offers competitively is honestly going to be a tougher challenge than its single player.

Last edited:

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Art design is just not great. They should have some 2D artworks of the monsters to sell them better. Altogether a more cell-shading, anime look would suit it better. Everything looks like its made out of clay. Game needs some striking outlines.

Pokemom fully depends on its visual presentation so this game needs to focus on that first.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Rivals of Aether has some depth and a lobby system based on competitive but is likely fun for anyone tbh. Its mechanically simpler than Smash in some ways ie. no edges, non analogue, parry instead of shield mechanics or spot dodging, much smaller roster. Haven't tried Brawlout because it just didn't look all that appealing to me.
still waiting for a switch release to test it.

To be honest, the monsters look alright. The trainers...not so much.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
Very happy that there is a company giving Pokémon a bit of competition.

That said: if there's any complaint I had about Pokémon, it's that I don't find the singleplayer engaging enough. It does not have a world you can have a great adventure in.
Temtem does not seem to offer anything more in that regard. I don't want an MMO Pokémon game, but I suppose Temtem is targeted at those who do. On top of that I'm not a fan of Temtem's character and monster designs.

HypedBulborb

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I sometimes really wonder why Serebii is so defensive when it comes to Pokémon, especially now when there is some direct competition coming up.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get much time in on the stress test because, well, the servers were obviously broken as they were trying to do. But combined with a 4 or so hour playthrough of the alpha I watched live a few days prior I definitely think that the gameplay of Temtem is better than people here think.

1: It's fine tuned to hell and back, every stupid outdated annoyance that has plagued Pokemon for over a decade have been sorted out. You can't even imagine how much simply having the dialogue AND animation playing at the same time does to improve the flow of battle.

2: Doubles are the default because move synergy is a key component of Temtem, there are a number of moves that have different effects if used in conjunction with others (sorta making them a two in one). You will still encounter single battles though, usually when against a trainer with a single tough evolved form.

3: All information is sourced, you can see EVs and IVs (I'll call them that for familiarity) the moment you catch a Temtem, your "dex" shows all ability types they can possibly have etc.

4: NPCs have a purpose, if you talk to someone in Pokemon they usually just say some variation on "Pokemon are great/my friends/here is a hold item", here they give out quests or have dialogue that fleshes them out, quite early on there was a woman who'd had a fight with her girlfriend and felt they weren't compatible because they liked different types of Temtem (eg Fire/Water), you had a number of dialogue options to go through with both of them which seemed like they could flow into a quest to reunite them (the player seemed to dead end though, he might have said something wrong).

5: Your dialogue options give you personality and actually have meaning, one of the funniest things I saw was that you can demand to battle as a way of solving every quest or problem which sometimes works and other times will lead to the NPC refusing and calling you out for it.

6: Character creation is significantly better than Pokemon. Multiple face types, two toned hair colouring, a bunch of starter clothing choices with customisable colours, body type, preferred pronoun, nothing is gender locked.

7: Stamina replaces PP, rather than simply spam one move that is your strongest you have to manage your stamina bar and use weaker attacks or skip turns to recover that stamina, or you can choose to go for broke and keep using moves while out of stamina and damage your own Temtem (Struggle style) in the process. This means you have to think about your moveset in more depth to ensure both synergy with your partner and your own moves in addition to the usual type coverage.

8: As you always send out two Temtem, that means you can have FULL online co-op throughout the story with a friend.

9: No, the Temtem designs don't suck. They generally are more bland and a bit harder to identify potential types, but there are still some really good ones and I don't think any come close to the depths of garbage like Palkia, Grimsnarl or Garbodour. At worst I would place the designs as "ok".

375px-Fomu.png
Platypet.png

375px-Pewki.png
375px-Saipat.png

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018
I'm feeling this!

Funny how I said "Instead of buying this Sword/ Shield non-sense Imma spend that money on a game I actually know I like already" and used it for FF14 annnnd 2020 I'm prob gonna spend that Poke-money on another MMO.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
I couldn't get much time in on the stress test because, well, the servers were obviously broken as they were trying to do. But combined with a 4 or so hour playthrough of the alpha I watched live a few days prior I definitely think that the gameplay of Temtem is better than people here think.

I haven't played the game. But this all sounds really positive. I doubt this game will become as popular as Pokemon (as many have tried, and no one has managed it). But the mechanics do sound like they are trying to evolve the formula if ever so slightly.

I also like the reports they are listening to players to improve their game. Now before anyone calls me up on this point, I will state that this is a luxury that not everyone can do. The bigger the fan base, the harder it will be to keep everyone happy. But the small player base they have at present gives them a lot of opportunity to shape the game while still listening.

Pokemon sadly can't really do that. Too many competing business interests and diverse fan base means keeping everyone happy is impossible.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I just hope this will force pokemon to move from its confort zone. Pepsi is never as good as coca cola

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
Yokai was a more interesting competitor. This just feels too much like a clone without doing much to differentiate itself. I also find the praise amusing since it only has like 75 monsters or something and people don't recognize that as an advantage in development time compared to Pokémon.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

This doesn't surprise me at all. Pokemon has been mediocre/ terrible since generation 5 on Nintendo DS.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
i hope it becomes a nice creatures collection game but i don't think it will ever come close to Pokemon. Which is fine, Pokemon is at the top of the genre for a reason, even if the "veteran" audience doesn't like them, Pokemon games are really good and GameFreak understand 1. The audience and 2. How to make the genre work. While they have some shortcomings, they only shine because how absolutely good the base is. Anyway Temtem is the evolution of nothing, is just "what if fans made a Pokemon game" which turns out just as you expect, having some nice improvements and ambition in some areas but lacking in the most base and important aspects, in this case charm is the biggest missing factor, there is just something visually that doesn't do it for me.

Anyway as i said in my initiall sentence i hope it becames and enjoyable experience bcs more is always nice and maybe they put some original stuff but the hyperbole of the article is just a bit......"sure".

Oct 25, 2017
I can recognize what Temtem does better than the yearly pokemon game, but derivative-ness of it makes me fail to see what the writer is seeing.

Still getting it though.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
I just hope this will force pokemon to move from its confort zone. Pepsi is never as good as coca cola

It's impossible to sometimes remove the king from the throne. But it does make the king fight to keep it.
They more likely will just sue the game out of existence instead of those 2 options

There is nothing to sue. If that could happen then any game that had collectible monsters would be on the chopping block. Hell even Disney with its whole Spectrobes thing it did.

Sure it's derivative, but it's not something that can be sued over.

J_Atlas

Apr 11, 2019
*Hammers B until the evolution stops*

This isn't an evolution, its listening to particularly loud feedback, and making adjustments for it, but its not a change, or really all that interesting.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Yokai was a more interesting competitor. This just feels too much like a clone without doing much to differentiate itself. I also find the praise amusing since it only has like 75 monsters or something and people don't recognize that as an advantage in development time compared to Pokémon.

Level 5 has vastly more resources then a tiny indie studio. It's impressive what they have created regardless of what you think of the game.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
The game looks fine and I look forward to trying it, but doing mostly the same as Pokémon does with a few changes but without the great character design hardly qualifies as an evolution. I guess people are just too excited about using that specific word when talking about this game.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Hope for the best. But it's so blatant it's likely to get sued.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
9: No, the Temtem designs don't suck. They generally are more bland and a bit harder to identify potential types, but there are still some really good ones and I don't think any come close to the depths of garbage like Palkia, Grimsnarl or Garbodour. At worst I would place the designs as "ok".

Platypet.png

Isn't that a fan-made Pokemon?! I remember seeing that guy before...

Bass2448

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So what exactly makes this game earn the "MMO" tag? It just seems like SW/SH with the ability to see others run around with you? The paths are still super small.

Im looking for WoW levels of open environment (not as big obviously) . Not glorified hallways.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't that a fan-made Pokemon?!
One of the kickstart backer rewards was being able to design a Temtem, the guy that got it bought the rights for the design from the designer so it ended up in Temtem.
Sadly, the design is one of the best of Temtem, while the rest are pretty meh for me. They should have gotten better fakemon designers.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
One of the kickstart backer rewards was being able to design a Temtem, the guy that got it bought the rights for the design from the designer so it ended up in Temtem.
Sadly, the design is one of the best of Temtem, while the rest are pretty meh for me. They should have gotten better fakemon designers.

He/she got the reward of designing a mon and he/she ended buying a fan made design from other guy? Wow.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
So what exactly makes this game earn the "MMO" tag? It just seems like SW/SH with the ability to see others run around with you? The paths are still super small.

Im looking for WoW levels of open environment (not as big obviously) . Not glorified hallways.
Seeing hundreds of other players around and being able to chat, interact (battle/trade) and play in co-op with them at any time. Seems standard fair for an MMO. And no, it isn't big expanses, it's traditional Pokemon route structure but made significantly larger (the first route alone takes like an hour to get through at normal pace).

He/she got the reward of designing a mon and he/she ended buying a fan made design from other guy? Wow.
People really liked that design.

I'm not. I like competition. I just find this derivative.
So would you call Stardew Valley "derivative"? Because that's roughly equivelent to what this is.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
That's fair, but people are also acting like this will somehow topple Pokémon so I'm treating it with the same level of comparison.

LOL, yeah anyone thinking that is being ridiculous. This in no way will beat Pokemon, hell Digimon couldn't beat Pokemon and that was probably the closest anything ever got to doing it (and that's with all the money that Bandai Namco put into the franchise).

But could it's existence influence the thinking at Gamefreak? Sure. Lots of game companies are influenced by others.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

1: It's fine tuned to hell and back, every stupid outdated annoyance that has plagued Pokemon for over a decade have been sorted out. You can't even imagine how much simply having the dialogue AND animation playing at the same time does to improve the flow of battle.

2: Doubles are the default because move synergy is a key component of Temtem, there are a number of moves that have different effects if used in conjunction with others (sorta making them a two in one). You will still encounter single battles though, usually when against a trainer with a single tough evolved form.

3: All information is sourced, you can see EVs and IVs (I'll call them that for familiarity) the moment you catch a Temtem, your "dex" shows all ability types they can possibly have etc.

4: NPCs have a purpose, if you talk to someone in Pokemon they usually just say some variation on "Pokemon are great/my friends/here is a hold item", here they give out quests or have dialogue that fleshes them out, quite early on there was a woman who'd had a fight with her girlfriend and felt they weren't compatible because they liked different types of Temtem (eg Fire/Water), you had a number of dialogue options to go through with both of them which seemed like they could flow into a quest to reunite them (the player seemed to dead end though, he might have said something wrong).

5: Your dialogue options give you personality and actually have meaning, one of the funniest things I saw was that you can demand to battle as a way of solving every quest or problem which sometimes works and other times will lead to the NPC refusing and calling you out for it.

6: Character creation is significantly better than Pokemon. Multiple face types, two toned hair colouring, a bunch of starter clothing choices with customisable colours, body type, preferred pronoun, nothing is gender locked.

7: Stamina replaces PP, rather than simply spam one move that is your strongest you have to manage your stamina bar and use weaker attacks or skip turns to recover that stamina, or you can choose to go for broke and keep using moves while out of stamina and damage your own Temtem (Struggle style) in the process. This means you have to think about your moveset in more depth to ensure both synergy with your partner and your own moves in addition to the usual type coverage.

8: As you always send out two Temtem, that means you can have FULL online co-op throughout the story with a friend.

375px-Fomu.png
Platypet.png

375px-Pewki.png
375px-Saipat.png
Huh, i remember seeing that plapytus during one of the fakes pokemon sword leaks at the time. Always thought it was fanmade.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
Was an initial Kickstarter backer, played through the initial alpha.

Something just feels off to me while playing. The defaulting to double battles was neat, but the stamina gauge wasn't "fun".

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
Not to hate on the indie dev by all means, but these monster designs are very uninspired.

CrazyAznKT

Nov 8, 2017
LOL, yeah anyone thinking that is being ridiculous. This in no way will beat Pokemon, hell Digimon couldn't beat Pokemon and that was probably the closest anything ever got to doing it (and that's with all the money that Bandai Namco put into the franchise).

But could it's existence influence the thinking at Gamefreak? Sure. Lots of game companies are influenced by others.
Hey man, it's not ME that thinks this - I totally agree with you.

Also, and this is me nit picking semantics, but Digimon came first and was more focused on Tamogotchi marketed to boys. Its games are also rarely similar to Pokémon.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What got me into Pokémon was the designs, and insofar this game is incredibly uninspired on that front. It has none of that appeal.

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stardew Valley was a far more derivative game (Even the story beats with the grandpa are the same) and people didnt bat an eye when that game launched and sold millions. I hope Temtem is a success (Its already seems to be judging from the stress test alone). Its incredibly polished and colorful. I had a lot of fun playing it and can see myself playing a lot more, even though I dont like the genre that much.

People also overplay the MMO aspect too much. You are clearly on your own adventure, only difference is that you can see other players going about doing their own thing. Dialogue is incredibly quirky too, and actually well written.

The absolute non gendered customization is a blast too. Didnt take 20 years to let girls use pants.

filterfilter

Nov 12, 2019
I'm excited for this. It looks fun, the developers are driven, and it's competitively priced. Definitely getting it on Switch.