• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
image_mg7k.1200.jpg

Temtem might be heavily inspired by Pokemon, but it builds on the concept so strongly that it deserves merit in its own right.

Temtem is a lot like Pokemon. Let's get that out in the open right away. Developer Crema has described Temtem as "a massively multiplayer creature-collection adventure inspired by Pokemon" on their Steam page. Their inspirations are open and unabashed. Many will look at this and simply dismiss it as a Pokemon clone, or an ascended fangame. But I feel that writing Temtem off so quickly is disingenuous; this is clearly a passion project that they have worked very hard on to differentiate it. The inspirations are worn openly on their sleeve, but Crema has done the legwork. It's immensely rare that I've seen a game of such polished quality this early in the development phase.

Not only did Temtem exceed my expectations in pretty much every regard, but it also helped me realize what I failed to feel in Pokemon for some time now: respect for the series veteran.

More at DualSHOCKERS

Brend

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Let's be honest its no *shakes Pokeclone randomisation 8 ball*...inviZimals.

In all seriousness, looking forward to giving this a go.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
Monsters are ugly tho.
But they were smart enough to show stats buff/debuff with icons and not overlong animations + text. That wasn't so hard.

Excelsior

Oct 28, 2017
curious to know how they'll monetize it past the initial fee

I assume the game will be $30-$40 for early access

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Never felt Pokemon doesnt respect its veterans. But good luck to Temtem in being sucessful, competition is good.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
"Heavily inspired".

You should see the initial trailer, it had animations and transitions ripped from Sun & Moon.

Thankfully they seem to have altered that but eesh.

Anyway it does seem like they have just listened to fan feedback about Pokémon. Fans want a jerk rival, the rival is a colossal jerk in this. Some fans hate RNG, most RNG elements are gone.

My problem with it is that it doesn't bring anything overly new to the fold. It's just listening to the vocal feedback of Pokémon fans while not adding much to the genre, unlike other games like Yo-kai, Monster Hunter Stories etc.

Plus it has a scenario where a temtem will use a move and it doesn't tell you what it does which isn't good for players

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
With all the great things you could make taking the core basics of Pokemon, they chose to just copy those games... I mean, just check that video, the encounters animations with the screen flashing and the grass tilting is exactly the same as Pokemon. The camera movement and how it focuses to the trainers during the encounters in the exactly same camera plane as in Pokemon... even when you beat a trainer, the camera stays the same way as it does in Pokemon for the trainer saying that final quote. Are those such a defining characteristics of the series that they couldn't alter ir?

Pokemon needs someone to shake its ground but doing exactly the same is not the way.

Edit: Also, article just reads as a PR note...

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I wouldn't call it an "evolution" at all. Just fine tuned.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
With all the great things you could make taking the core basics of Pokemon, they chose to just copy those games... I mean, just check that video, the encounters animations with the screen flashing and the grass tilting is exactly the same as Pokemon. The camera movement and how it focuses to the trainers during the encounters in the exactly same camera plane as in Pokemon... even when you beat a trainer, the camera stays the same way as it does in Pokemon for the trainer saying that final quote. Are those such a defining characteristics of the series that they couldn't alter ir?

Pokemon needs someone to shake its ground but doing exactly the same is not the way.
That's my problem with Temtem. It's not inspired by, it's ripping, and not doing anything special or unique to distract us from it

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
I don't know what it is but I find the character design really off putting.
Monster design is good.

udivision

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon-esque route design, oof.

Don't copy the stuff the Pokemon somehow does worse than every other RPG.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My problem with it is that it doesn't bring anything overly new to the fold. It's just listening to the vocal feedback of Pokémon fans while not adding much to the genre, unlike other games like Yo-kai, Monster Hunter Stories etc.
The MMO and Co-Op elements are pretty new. Seeing all the other tamers and being able to party up with your friend and explore sounds fun.

My biggest concern with this game is world design. It doesn't look very inspired, in fact id even go as far to say it looks pretty damn bland.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Seems pretty dull tbh.
Monster designs and world feel uninteresting, a Pokémon rip-off MMO with slightly better mechanics isn't enough to surpass the real thing in my eyes.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I just do not care for any of the designs (subjective sure) and that's such a massive draw for Pokemon
OP changed the videos title to be a bit more questionable by making it a statement instead of a question

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
The MMO and Co-Op elements are pretty new. Seeing all the other tamers and being able to party up with your friend and explore sounds fun.

My biggest concern with this game is world design. It doesn't look very inspired, in fact id even go as far to say it looks pretty damn bland.
I mean Let's Go and the Wild Area in SWSH show elements of that, but they 100% could improve. Let's Go had full co-op the entire game and the Wild Area has you see countless players in real time (much to the system's chagrin as the latency causes it to lag a bit), but yeah that's the only unique thing about this game

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
I just can't get over how half baked the designs are, it needs charm to work. The monsters are the most important element to the lasting appeal of a series.
Pokemon, Digimon, Monster Rancher, Monster Hunter, Viva Pinata, even Persona... They all have charm in spades without treading on each other's toes

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
It was obvious that it wasn't going to be long before people mad at SwSh would latch onto this game and claim it gives them everything Pokemon doesn't, like a nebulous "respect for veterans."

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I mean Let's Go and the Wild Area in SWSH show elements of that, but they 100% could improve. Let's Go had full co-op the entire game and the Wild Area has you see countless players in real time (much to the system's chagrin as the latency causes it to lag a bit), but yeah that's the only unique thing about this game

The Co-op in LG could have been good if it didn't completely break the game by turning everything into a 2v1

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Really nice to look at. The monsters look alright. Dunno what folks above are fussing about. I'll have to give this a try.

ryan13ts

Oct 28, 2017
Something about the designs just don't do it for me, though that could be from having the classic Pokemon art style drilled into me after all these years. The only one that looks appealing to me is the Platypus, that itself was a fake leak for Pokemon. Gameplay wise though, I like the mmo aspect and wish Pokemon would actually go that route one day, even if it's just a spin-off.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno, weren't those sentences also dropped regarding Yokai Watch?

It's the same with Monster Hunter, no clone will ever really come close to the "main" series.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
Yeah, I'd love for this to be a single player game. It being a mmo makes me feel it will be an even bigger rip off than what I feel SwSh is with what they've done with the cuts and DLC.
Also, even the later gen Pokemon designs look better than TemTem's.

This doesn't look like what I want.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That 'respect for veterans' line is so bad omg.

Still I've heard this claim before- looks at Ni No Kuni and Digimon Cybersleuth. I'll reserve judgement for now but we'll see what happens.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
So how exactly is it an evolution though ?

All the article mentions is that combat is always double battles, and they removed some RNG stuff.
All that Temtem really changes is make the competetive pokemon format the only way to play at all.

Calling a forced defeat encounter at the beginning of the game something good is also quite the stretch.

The "respect for veteran players" just sounds like the peak of entitlement.

From what i played of the Alpha(backed the game since i think pokemon needs more games in the field, even if this one ended up being a disappointment), Temtem is just Pokemon with a focus on competetive battling while lacking most of the charm.

The Co-op in LG could have been good if it didn't completely break the game by turning everything into a 2v1
Thing is, Temtem is basically that, but always.
It saves itself a bit since most trainers(err tamers) also have two, but wild battles and some of them are still 2v1 which is a joke tbh.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
It was obvious that it wasn't going to be long before people mad at SwSh would latch onto this game and claim it gives them everything Pokemon doesn't, like a nebulous "respect for veterans."
The author articulates what that specifically means literally right after they say it.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Thing is, Temtem is basically that, but always.
It saves itself a bit since most trainers(err tamers) also have two, but wild battles and some of them are still 2v1 which is a joke tbh.

Wild Pokemon were usually a bit of a joke to battle either way so that's less of an issue than the trainers.

YaW

Jan 11, 2018
"Heavily inspired".

You should see the initial trailer, it had animations and transitions ripped from Sun & Moon.

You should check recent gameplay from the game and stop sharing the same video in all the Temtem threads. That video is almost 2 years old and Temtem has changed and evolved quite a bit during this time.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The fact it lacks Pokemon most important aspect, portability, will doom this game, it needs at least a mobile version imo

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
all those X but with stuff hardcore fans like never do it for me. be it one of those countless smash clones that cater to pro players or this. they miss the entire point why most people like those games in the first place.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
The author articulates what that specifically means literally right after they say it.
Im sorry, but that is just a lie.
The next 4 paragraphs after the quote are literally just a rant about Pokemon, with no mention of Temtem at all.
Then a unspecified:

"In this one closed alpha of an indie developer, I have experienced more development of the Pokemon formula than I have in the better part of 20 years of Game Freak's games."

With absolutely no mention as to what that development is.

They state the game has "options and complexity" but dont actually show any of them, and of what i played of the alpha i saw none of these things.
The type chart has been simplified and unless i missed it there are no difficulty options.

The fact it lacks Pokemon most important aspect, portability, will doom this game, it needs at least a mobile version imo
The game will release on Switch, so that isnt really an issue.

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Lazy devs rhetoric
This is fine.

It's what countless designers of IP-infringing content over the years (Another Metroid 2 Remake etc) should have done, but either were too lazy or too un-skilled to follow through on.

Case in point, Undertale.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The fact they fucked up breeding the way they did is not an "evolution".

I have some core complains of Temtem that really make it look like not an evolutionl

People forget the evolutions of SnS (that basically gave most fans what they always asked for and thought GF would never give them in open world / seemless multiplayer) because it was just not as perfect as they want (it needs heavy improvements but I think is a better implementation than XY 3D world).

Deleted member 38573

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2018
Those monster designs aren't gripping me unfortunately.

That 'respect for veterans' line is so bad omg.

Still I've heard this claim before- looks at Ni No Kuni and Digimon Cybersleuth. I'll reserve judgement for now but we'll see what happens.

Yeah so both of those games are better than the 3DS Pokemon ones.

SchroDingerzat

One Winged Slayer
Sep 24, 2018
Inb4 Pokemon Company decides to just buy them out, or just steal some ideas back. Either way competition is good.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
I wholeheartedly agree, but it's also kind of its own thing. I think I've also fallen into the trap of saying I enjoyed it more than recent Pokémon games, but they're not all that comparable.

I agree with you. I'm towards the end of Sword and Shield right now and the whole Poke Camp aspect just makes me want to go back and play Digimon lol. Such a great game. Wish they made a more fleshed out sequel.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I wish I didn't dislike the art style and the designs so much. Really kills monster collecting if you're not all that compelled by the monsters!

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
I don't like the art style for this game at and a lot of the things they changed from Pokemon are things I didn't want changed.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Ugh, massively multiplayer.

It's very light on the MMO aspects.

There aren't any world events. Anything you do in the game coopertively can only be done with 2 people. It is doubtful they will increase the size because they aren't charging a subscription despite using a single shard. They are going to avoid stressing that single server cluster as much as possible because they won't have the cash to support it unless their cosmetic sales do a lot better than I expect.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cybersleuth was amazing, so I'm not sure where you were going with that one.
Those monster designs aren't gripping me unfortunately.

Yeah so both of those games are better than the 3DS Pokemon ones.

That's completely understandable, as far as JRPGs are concerned. Love NNK myself in particular. As 'evolutions' of Pokemon though? Nah not even close. Which was my point here and why I personally am sick of this angle and it not living up to that hype time and time again.

Arynio

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the creature design is nearly as good as Pokémon's, but their passion and their openness to feedback have got me really interested in this. I hope the game is really good and successful and provides enough competition to make Game Freak even more ambitious with Pokémon.