• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Ok I bought this game cause the pokemons look insanely cute, I haven't played a pokemon game since 15 years ago I think, hopefully I can manage to make it out the starting zone or whatever it is lol
I still haven't started yet, but do you have the usual trio to choose from at start? If so can anybody recommend one or two ?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Man the trainer fights are no jokes. Need to actually stock up before heading out!

Also anyone else love the animation when you heal your Temtem at the healing center places?

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, so that thing I was caught up with a bit earlier, about that part where they kinda strand you with whatever temtem you have on hand, yeah, there's actually one of those swap computers right there, you just have to find it

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
hope this does well. pokemon needs a kick in the but.
it really does. show people that an rpg in this style can do more things well. pokemon is solid but for the amount of money it brings in it feels like they cheap out on lots of things that would make the game be far better, even if the design itself stayed the same. (looking at you, animations and environments)

Oct 27, 2017
This game is like at least 10 years late. There should have been a Pokémon inspired game on last gen... by any big Publisher.

It is a kickstarter MMO built by the indie developers, coming out as the work-in-progress experience. 10 years ago this wasn't a thing.

I agree if you mean that the genre could have used a competitor as early as 10 years ago. We can complain about publishers not giving a fuck when it comes to exploring many genres, but the indie Pokemon competitor started/launched as soon as the conditions allowed.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's exactly what I mean. A competitor on ALL platforms would have put a lot of pressure on Pokémon.
its not even a competitor when its on a different (non handheld) platform and primarily an MMO

To be fair, when it officially launches in 2021, it will be on all platforms including the Switch with cross-platform play in mind. They even showed prototype footage of it running on a Switch back in 2018:

When that time comes, it will very much be a direct competitor to Pokemon on the Switch with a larger reach across multiple platforms.

Last edited:

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
I still haven't started yet, but do you have the usual trio to choose from at start? If so can anybody recommend one or two ?
There are 3 "starters" but they are not particularily good(only one evo each, and pretty meh imo).
They also dont really matter, since you autoloose the first battle(i took one "starter" in the alpha, and another in this, but both times i got oneshot) anyway, then get given a second temtem instantly(basically a eevee bird) that is imo better and can evolve into at least one of the types one of the starters has.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, when it officially launches in 2021, it will be on all platforms including the Switch with cross-platform play in mind. They even showed prototype footage of it running on a Switch back in 2018:

When that time comes, it will very much be a direct competitor to Pokemon on the Switch with a larger reach across multiple platforms.

It still seems like an affordable mmo version of like gen1 style routes and im not sure if the target audience of Pokemon is going to be effected to where its directly competing with it. Nintendo is against online functionality when it comes to interacting with strangers so im pretty sure that part will be limited on Switch.

marcbret87

Apr 20, 2018
It's unlikely it will make a dent on Pokemon's popularity, but any kind of competition for Pokemon is already pretty good.

Fnnrqwin

Sep 19, 2019
I've put a little over an hour into it so far and I'm really missing that Pokémon charm. So far my big positives are the inclusiveness and the stamina system (which is way better than PP), but outside that nothing screams improvement to me.

I'll put more time into it over the next week and hopefully I'll come around on it.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Most satisfying gym win ever​

745920_20200124101642_1.png

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
This game is like at least 10 years late. There should have been a Pokémon inspired game on last gen... by any big Publisher. I just don't get it why it never happened yet.
Totally agreed it's long overdue, I guess the next best time for action is now though since you can't really do much to address the inaction of the past.

Kinda makes me think that there's more to it than we give GF credit for because it's a massive money maker and there's never been a big effort from any other devs to make a serious run as a competitor.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
It still seems like an affordable mmo version of like gen1 style routes and im not sure if the target audience of Pokemon is going to be effected to where its directly competing with it. Nintendo is against online functionality when it comes to interacting with strangers so im pretty sure that part will be limited on Switch.

I mean it's still seemingly going to have crossplay and cross-save which will do so much for the game. A Pokemon competitor that can be played not only on a variety of systems but people are still able to play together regardless.

Love this time of day, no queues.

Was very happy when I played briefly last night and I had no queue.

Also I did find the Academia stuff a little confusing. It took me too long (and eventually google) to realize I had to go up the cliffs to progress further. All of the quests around there require the surfboard lol.

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
So whats the consensus on this so far? Promising? Any common pros and cons?
Overall positive.
Great base gameplay, feels challenging but rewarding. Engaging and entertaining writing, the core of the game seems well polished. Seems to be what content is there is good when it's working but it's pretty clear there's a LOT more content for the future, I think I read there's maybe 20-30 hours of story content but if you're a breeder or interested in battling I'm sure you could pull more than that.

I only really get time to play at this time of day when I've not encountered any queues but it sounds like throughout the rest of the day there's still a fair bit of a wait to get in and my 2-3 hours tonight has been bug free but that was one of the most lasting impressions from the first 24-48 hours was the instability of the servers, the devs have addressed it well.

It's pretty clearly a work in progress though, so much content missing including a lot of the features that make it exciting that it's an MMO.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Overall positive.
Great base gameplay, feels challenging but rewarding. Engaging and entertaining writing, the core of the game seems well polished. Seems to be what content is there is good when it's working but it's pretty clear there's a LOT more content for the future, I think I read there's maybe 20-30 hours of story content but if you're a breeder or interested in battling I'm sure you could pull more than that.

I only really get time to play at this time of day when I've not encountered any queues but it sounds like throughout the rest of the day there's still a fair bit of a wait to get in and my 2-3 hours tonight has been bug free but that was one of the most lasting impressions from the first 24-48 hours was the instability of the servers, the devs have addressed it well.

It's pretty clearly a work in progress though, so much content missing including a lot of the features that make it exciting that it's an MMO.
Thats good then. Im happy for the team producing this. Pokemon and GameFreak has BEEN needing some competition. I hope this game gains more traction. I missed this beta but I'd like to be in the next one if any

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
I refunded this. I was a detractor of Sword and Shield early on and cancelled my pre-order. Then a friend got it for me at Christmas and my wife and I really enjoyed playing it. After that I saw this and thought I might like it and well it did nothing for me at all. Despite Sword's problems it still has that vibrance and the Pokemon are terrific. I didn't like the colour pallete or TemTem. It looks washed out.

There is a huge bonus to knowing the longevity of the Pokemon you collect and how they are almost eternal as they transfer forward for many many versions. It's a good effort by TemTem but I'd rather just play Pokemon Sword and with expansions coming the choice is even clearer.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone found out if it's at all possible to beat Max in the tutorial? Cause I know Crystle can at least survive one hit.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Now I'm stuck on the "Press any key" page :( won't load into a queue or anything...

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
So whats the consensus on this so far? Promising? Any common pros and cons?

I don't know about pros/cons but I will list noteworthy differences with my opinion tacked on:
  • PP being removed and replaced by a Stamina bar is a huge plus and removes the need for constant check-ins if you're smart about your plays/teams
  • 2 v 2 methodology is a refreshing mechanic that is elevated by synergy skills
  • NPCs are a breath of fresh air, with multiple (congenial) dialogue options
  • Difficulty is real, and you can no longer jump into battles (both random/trainer) and spam A with the hopes to win
  • Piggybacking off the previous point, you'll need to carefully manage all 6 of your Temtems so that your team works from a strategical standpoint - the days of relying on a single individual are long over

Thordawgg

Nov 5, 2017
I refunded this. I was a detractor of Sword and Shield early on and cancelled my pre-order. Then a friend got it for me at Christmas and my wife and I really enjoyed playing it. After that I saw this and thought I might like it and well it did nothing for me at all. Despite Sword's problems it still has that vibrance and the Pokemon are terrific. I didn't like the colour pallete or TemTem. It looks washed out.

There is a huge bonus to knowing the longevity of the Pokemon you collect and how they are almost eternal as they transfer forward for many many versions. It's a good effort by TemTem but I'd rather just play Pokemon Sword and with expansions coming the choice is even clearer.
Yeah I prefer the mon designs and art of Pokemon by far, I remember early on when I backed the game I liked Temtem's designs but a lot of time has passed since then and I'm pretty indifferent now. I don't know how I feel about the colour palette of Temtem, when I'm playing I don't really care or notice but if I compare it doesn't look as nice... maybe it's fatigue from only spending time in this Deniz section and the repetition of the palette.

I feel like the most exciting thing about Temtem is the MMO aspect, I'm hoping for a strong and engaging late/end game and also the battle system. It's still pretty fresh so maybe it's just the excitement of something new but I think I actually prefer it to Pokemon's battle system. I think there's a lot of promise here so I hope they can deliver but I have no doubt it's gonna be a long way down the track before it gets to where I hope it's going. I mean it's a full year until the console launch so what I'm most interested in is the content they want to expand on after they've met the initial kickstarter/launch goals, as well as knowing how they support the game into the future like what monetization model they use and how they deliver content.

As you said it's a known thing what you're getting with Pokemon; the longevity is there and you keep your collection going forward as you transfer them but that's the thing I worry (and get excited) about with Temtem... it's unknown and filled with uncertainty and promise.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
I was stuck on the press any key menu, but I got past it by pressing a key rather than a button on my controller.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
At first I thought Luma's having 3 perfect stats would be a bit broken but after looking at all of that breeding stuff, it seems it kind of balances it out.

Also someone correct me but the SV is how high a Temtem's stats can go... right? I've never totally understood the whole IV/SV thing.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I can't read the whole thread. I would like to know if the devs have talked about the potential of crossplay of all the future releases?