• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Two PUBG mobile games have been announced, but they're only going to be available in China. Chinese internet giant Tencent is behind both of the games, with its Timi Studio making one that adds naval battles. The other game is being made by Lightspeed & Quantum Studio, and it looks like it's closer to the standard PC version. According to industry analyst Daniel Ahmad, both games are being made using Epic's Unreal Engine 4.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/two-pubg-mobile-games-announced-watch-the-trailers/1100-6455317/

Here are the trailers for the two games-

PUBG Mobile Game: Army Attack - https://youtu.be/JDNPgXzBkKk

PUBG Mobile Game: Battlefield - https://streamable.com/wody2

The first game includes naval battles. Second game is more standard compared to the PC port.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It actually doesn't look as bad as I thought it would, curious to see how well it plays

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
I can't imagine that either of these will run well or even be enjoyable to play on mobile. I am also a bit puzzled as to why they are splitting the market for what seems like minor differences.

tgrfawcett

Oct 25, 2017
Utah
A lot of people in China only play on mobile and either don't have a PC or don't game on them.

Even so, that doesn't change that a massive battle royale game like this may very well be entirely unenjoyable on mobile. Not everything can make the transition. I may be completely off base with my western sensibilities but I have my doubts.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Doesn't Tencent own a chunk of Epic?

In a way Tencent pretty much has a big hold over PUBG with Bluehole using UE4 and Tencent having all Mainland China distribution.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both games look way too similar, don't get why they are not just releasibg one game.

Sucks that China gets all the cool mobile games, hooe there will be a western release down the road.

Ceerious

Oct 27, 2017
Asian
Tencent's biggest mobile game rival company, NetEase, already publish two PUBG-like mobile games.They run better than early version of PUBG. But playing them on phone is still a pain though

famikon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ベラルーシ
I don't understand how PUBG would even play on a phone? :/
maybe like this? :)

maxresdefault.jpg

KonradLaw

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And the hilarious thing is that despite that Tencent is still making separate two battle royale games - one for PC and one for mobile :D

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
hell no, i can barely play gta with the shitty on screen touch controls

Deleted member 10549

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can try playing similar game today. I tried it. At first controls feels solid for a mobile game. Moving, looking around, picking up items, etc. But everything falls short when you try to shoot someone. Shooters just doesn't work on mobile phones. You can't aim, move and shoot at the same time unless you hold your phone with claw grip with two hands ( which sucks).

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
3rd person action game on a mobile phone?

What kind of crazy alien hands do you need to make this feel good?

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
China ony is expected. Wonder if they'll do an international repease. PUBG is pretty popular even on mobile as there's already 3 clones of this and all them are pretty popular.

So no one should get to play it?
thats a big leap in assumption you made there

how does me not wanting to play it instantly also mean i dont want anyone else to play it? im interested

Milennia

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if your first reaction to this news is, "hell no" then of course it will be interpreted that way. There's lots of people who play and enjoy games on mobile touch screen.
i also said "I" in the post, indicating "I" dont enjoy touch controls and "Hell no" does not indicate anything other than the fact i do not like the idea of playing this game, it does not wildly mean i dont want anyone playing it and nobody should lol

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Naval Battles in a battle royal game? That sounds very weird, yet very interesting at the same time. I wonder how the naval battles work in game though, might be very tough to control without native gamepad support.

The PUBG train is still going strong.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like something that would do well in China, if for no other reason than that mobile games are super prevalent and Tencent and Timi already manage a hugely popular one--still, I already find MOBAs like Honour of Kings unpleasant to control on a phone, a shooter like PUBG is definitely not something I want to play on a screen that small or with controls that bad.

Without knowing how it actually works, the biggest problems are pretty clear:
-Awareness is fairly important in PUBG, whether it be sound or sight. Seeing far off into the distance, let alone aiming, is going to be hard unless there's just heavy aim assist or something.
-If your fingers are all over the screen to aim and to control the character, it's not going to be super easy to see what you're doing anyway.

Put on top of this the fact that it's on a big map with 100 people and I just can't imagine it, unless you were to do as someone posted above and set the phone down with a mouse and keyboard peripheral, but that kind of defeats the point of playing on a phone in the first place.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Theres now gameplay footage for these

Im seriously impressed. My first thought is - how well will this run on my Shield Portable. My next thought is it could definitely run on a switch....