• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Last edited by a moderator:

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's bizarre. I guess they wanted to do their own thing where they're getting most of the money but why pick up PUBG then?

Patryn

Oct 25, 2017
That's bizarre. I guess they wanted to do their own thing where they're getting most of the money but why pick up PUBG then?
Possibly a classic case of buying out the competition so they don't/can't compete?

Guessing Tencent is going to bury PUBG with the most minimal distribution their contract allows and absolutely no publicity, thus leaving the playing field totally clear for their game.

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Doesn't China acocunt for like 3/4ths of Pubg's playerbase?

Woof, that don't sound good, especially considering PUBG is a korean game.

Shin

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's rather weird Imo, this clone plus pugb and another pugb clone for mobile as well.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
A bigger, better, battle royale was bound to happen.
I think it's a bit early to declare that this will be either better or bigger.

I feel like i nmost cases where a new multiplayer (sub-)genre explodes like this, it's extremely difficult to replace the incumbent.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Having ownership of your own successful Battle Royale game on both PC and mobile is better than just being a distributor of a successful one.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I think it's a bit early to declare that this will be either better or bigger.

I feel like i nmost cases where a new multiplayer (sub-)genre explodes like this, it's extremely difficult to replace the incumbent.

I'm not saying that THIS game is bigger or better. It's just inevitable that something will top PUBG. It's a genre still in its infancy.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Looks pretty good. I downloaded Rules of Survival on my phone this week. It's super bad! Controls like shit and the framerate is horrible.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I changed the title so it wasn't as clickbaity and added a source.

Not sure why people are so confused. Then again, no one here really pays attention to the China market.

Tencent is publishing another battle royale game. It does not affect their publishing efforts with PUBG in anyway. Tencent has also added a battle royale mode to one of its mobile games (Crossfire) and created a standalone battle royale game for mobile called Glorious Mission. It's clear they want to dominate the battle royale genre here.

JMTHEFOX

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Legitimately surprised that this is on Steam only and not exclusive to their WeGame service. I guess that they want to test the waters on Steam first before bringing WeGame to the west.

Very optimistic and interested in how this will work out for Tencent.

Oct 27, 2017
I changed the title so it wasn't as clickbaity and added a source.

Not sure why people are so confused. Then again, no one here really pays attention to the China market.

Tencent is publishing another battle royale game. It does not affect their publishing efforts with PUBG in anyway. Tencent has also added a battle royale mode to one of its mobile games (Crossfire) and created a standalone battle royale game for mobile called Glorious Mission. It's clear they want to dominate the battle royale genre here.

Hey Zhuge, I think you might be mistaken as Crossfire (if you are referring to the shooter from Smilegate) is a PC game unless they ported it to mobile.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
a fictional company "Europa" created a virtual shooting game using the latest game technology, where players gather to battle it out on an isolated gigantic island.
You die in the game you die in real life?

Tencent is a being really smart with this, they are covering every corner of the chinese gaming market.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oct 27, 2017

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
This is the strangest decision ever.

Here's the thing, if it's not on Steam and on their exclusive platform instead, it would make more sense.

Anyway, the game looks much better and more polished than PUBG, which is nice. Needs more gameplay though.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If there're lootboxes in this game, which there probably will be, it's going to be a very ironic name. The EU tends to protect costumers better than, say, China.

So you don't know what you are talking about, because lol, China?

China has always been more progressive then the west when it comes to online gaming, and have already updated their gambling laws to reflect that.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jesus, Tencent covering every corner. And by that I mean even those it sits on. But if Honour of Kings is anything to go by this shit is guaranteed gangbusters.

Jpop

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, Tencent covering every corner. And by that I mean even those it sits on. But if Honour of Kings is anything to go by this shit is guaranteed gangbusters.

They are the largest gaming company in the world.

The man behind Tencent is worth around 48 Billion. (Him not the company)