• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
Tencent has launched a bid to acquire all shares in Funcom, in a deal that values the Norwegian online developer at around $148 million.

The Chinese firm is already the single largest shareholder in Funcom, following the acquisition of 29% of its stock in September last year. However, Tencent now wishes to acquire all remaining shares -- a prospect that has been welcomed by Funcom's management team.

"We have had a great relationship with Tencent as our largest shareholder so far and we are excited about this opportunity," said Funcom CEO Rui Casais in a statement. "Tencent will provide Funcom with operational leverage and insights from its vast knowledge as the leading company in the game space."

Tencent is offering NOK 17 per share, which is 27.3% higher than the price at the close of trading on January 21, 2020. The offer values Funcom at NOK 1.33 billion ($148 million).

Funcom is also working on DUNE on top of Conan Exiles post-launch support

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Funcom has the DUNE license and by chance they have been working with Petroglyph Games (ex-Westwood) whom developed the Conan Unconquered RTS.
Let's hope they are given the task of creating a DUNE 3 RTS (they made DUNE 2 after all before C&C, the template for the modern RTS).

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Am I alone for finding it frightening how much Tencent is buying?

It's essentially an arm of the Chinese government after all.

Nov 8, 2017
Damn... Conan Exiles is the most underrated game of the generation IMHO; no microtransactions, gambling mechanics, or other bullshittery, just a great fun co-op campaign (I've never touched the public servers).

I wonder how this will affect the chances of seeing another game like it.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I alone for finding it frightening how much Tencent is buying?

It's essentially an arm of the Chinese government after all.

I cannot imagine the amount of data they're skimming from users and giving to the Chinese government. I understand it's hard to turn down the money but as a developer you're really selling your soul getting purchased by this company.

PC98_Audi

Producer @ Limited Run Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Raleigh
My very very first entry into the game's industry was in 2001/2002 at Funcom, as a very short time intern. The very first day I arrived at the office, I had to sign what seemed to be 100 NDAs and everyone was drunk because just hours earlier they had signed the Conan license. They got very annoyed because I was more interested in inquiring about how they went about porting SNK games to Sega CD haha!

Arkhanor

Oct 27, 2017
Recife - Brazil
I really wish that The Secret World had more love / budget. The story, setting, art (the animations and UI elements could be better, IMO) are really awesome.

Jan 15, 2018
This is just the beginning. Wonder when they will buy out one of the big 3. 🥶

Probably never, Tencent is a smaller company than Sony and Microsoft, and they would basically bankrupt themselves trying to buy Nintendo.

I could see them trying to buy a large enough amount of stock have have a percentage of ownership though.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Probably never, Tencent is a smaller company than Sony and Microsoft, and they would basically bankrupt themselves trying to buy Nintendo.

Wat?

Tencent is far bigger than Nintendo and one of the biggest companies in the world. Their market value is estimated at around 500 Billion US$, while Nintendos market value is estimated at 37 Billion US$.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
They've been making the Age of Conan MMO, among other things.
Blast from the past, totally forgot about that MMO.

I always play healers which by nature are gimped for dealing damage so it was hilarious to discover that the Tempest of Set class was so broken that I could pull every mob near me and kill them while remaining at full health.

Last edited:

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Really loved Conan Exiles until my entire base disappeared out of nowhere. Would be in for a sequel with proper funding and more modern "live world" MP structure.

Godsent

Jan 11, 2019

I could see them trying to buy a large enough amount of stock have have a percentage of ownership though.

lol..Tencent is almost 6 times bigger than Sony in terms of Market Cap... and 10x bigger than Nintendo..

Market cap may not be the best measure, but Tencent is far bigger than Sony and Nintendo

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017

Tencent has roughly 5x the market cap of Sony and roughly 10x that of Nintendo.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I actually had no idea Tencent was so big, I can't blame them.
To not know is fine, everyone does not know tons of stuff. But people really just love to flaunt their ignorance on the internet.

I have a rule for myself that I think is pretty good. If you have no idea what you're talking about just don't. Easy.
Outside of that at least consider googling stuff or just prefacing assumptions as such. That said this is just me complaining into the void that is the terrible discourse on era that will stay terrible.

Deleted member 3465

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
To not know is fine, everyone does not know tons of stuff. But people really just love to flaunt their ignorance on the internet.

I have a rule for myself that I think is pretty good. If you have no idea what you're talking about just don't. Easy.
Outside of that at least consider googling stuff or just prefacing assumptions as such. That said this is just me complaining into the void that is the terrible discourse on era that will stay terrible.

True, can't argue with that at all!

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Funcom has the DUNE license and by chance they have been working with Petroglyph Games (ex-Westwood) whom developed the Conan Unconquered RTS.
Let's hope they are given the task of creating a DUNE 3 RTS (they made DUNE 2 after all before C&C, the template for the modern RTS).
There's actually a bit more on the Dune game.

In addition to various projects, including the continued support of Conan Exiles, the Norwegian game developers are currently developing an open world multiplayer survival game based on Frank Herbert's Dune.

In connection with Tencent's voluntary offer, the Funcom management have decided to publicly announce several strategic and operational matters. Management intends to increase the ambition level of the upcoming Dune game pending board approval, with resources being allocated from other initiatives and possible additional financing.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
I can't really think of any specific games from them that I am interested in

Wonder how they will be after the takeover

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
My very very first entry into the game's industry was in 2001/2002 at Funcom, as a very short time intern. The very first day I arrived at the office, I had to sign what seemed to be 100 NDAs and everyone was drunk because just hours earlier they had signed the Conan license. They got very annoyed because I was more interested in inquiring about how they went about porting SNK games to Sega CD haha!
This dead ass sounds like something I'd do haha.

Jan 15, 2018
Wat?

Tencent is far bigger than Nintendo and one of the biggest companies in the world. Their market value is estimated at around 500 Billion US$, while Nintendos market value is estimated at 37 Billion US$.
Ehm no, Tencent Is way bigger than Sony and Nintendo but smaller than MS.
tencent is like five times the size of sony and ten times the size of nintendo by market cap.
Tencent is smaller than Sony? Check that again
lol..Tencent is almost 6 times bigger than Sony in terms of Market Cap... and 10x bigger than Nintendo..

Market cap may not be the best measure, but Tencent is far bigger than Sony and Nintendo
Tencent has roughly 5x the market cap of Sony and roughly 10x that of Nintendo.

Whoops, my bad, genuinely had no idea Tencent was so big. My cursory google search was clearly not enough, will be a bit more diligent in the future.