• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
im actually glad about this.

it means that black myth has a higher chance of becoming a real released product.

i mean, u can't get a better backer (in terms of finance anyway) than tencent on the chinese market.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
More budget for them, that's good. Hope this game will come out, I like what I've seen, but I'm still not sure it's already a game lol

[zhihu] Translated Q&A between Game Science's CEO and Tencent

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Translation of the "talk" between Yocar and Penguin(Tencent)

After leaving Tencent for many years, and receiving their money, not worrying about KPI, completing the dream of a single player console game
I feel this is a inspiriting story

Compare what what other people imagine, we didn't partway(tencent) on bad term, and have been in contact normally.
After the trailer release of Black Myth, people I'm familiar with from Tencent came to visit the team.
It was expected, but wait and see.

Me: We've known each other for 10+ year, just be straight, what do you want?
Penguin: Don't worry, I just want to help you make the game a reality, if you feel you need any help, you can ask.
Me: This is quite odd, why didn't you offer earlier?
Pen: You never told me, you're working on something like this
Me: So you guys are here to invest?
Pen: Yes
Me: I'm sure, you guys are aware, even if the game is release, it won't really profitiable, and might cost more to make then it make?
Pen: We know, it's not like we don't know you, you aren't interested in making money, we're just more interested in a long term relationship.
Me: Long term? you guys?
Pen: We actually do want to do some positive thing for the game industry
Me: So what did you do?
Pen: Look, not just mobile and online game, we're also going into console and single player game, although their market in China is low, we hope through investment in Platinium, to make gamer and developer, we also started looking at small-mid dev team, like..
Me: Stop, I don't need your advertisement, the support for the medium/small dev is what I"m worried about.
Pen: What's there to worry? Let's go through it one by one
Me: After investment, will you interfere in our product or company daily running?
Pen: No, there are other company that we invest that we don't interefer.
Me: Then after making it, will you steal it? Like, saying we invest, or take away publishing right?
Pen: Not possible, with the amount we're investment, primary is still you guys
Me: So even if you want, you can't?
Pen: Yes.
Me: Beside money, what else can you help, it's not like we need funding?
Pen: Easy, our internal development alot are using Unreal engine, and Epic China have giving us alot of technical support, if you need help or question, you can ask.
Me.So..if I don't accept the investment, can I still get their(Tencent internal team and Epic China) support?
Pen: Yes, we're all friends here.
Me: Stop pretending to be so nice, what do you guys really want?
Pen: We just want you to help make Black Myth Wukong a reality, and respect your view, this industry need this product.
Me: Really? that's it?
Pen: Next trailer, can you include our logo?
Me: NO.
Pen: Wec an talk about that later..
Me: How do we make sure you don't change your word?
Pen: We can sign a contract

From his page

如何看待腾讯投资《黑神话:悟空》开发团队「游戏科学」? - 知乎

从腾讯离开很多年,再次拿到他们的钱,不用关心KPI,把单机/主机的游戏梦圆一圆。我怎么觉得这个故事………

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
We just want you to help make Black Myth Wukong a reality, and respect your view, this industry need this product.

Dude said that he didn't want to be framed as the savior of the industry or anything but being told that kind of statement straight to the face by the same company he left because he wasn't allowed create it before, has to be the biggest ego boost ever.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
If this game actually pans out it could be absolutely incredible. I really hope it does, and this sounds like it will help make it happen.

Vimto

Oct 29, 2017

After leaving Tencent for many years, and receiving their money, not worrying about KPI, completing the dream of a single player console game

Compare what what other people imagine, we didn't partway(tencent) on bad term, and have been in contact normally.
After the trailer release of Black Myth, people I'm familiar with from Tencent came to visit the team.

Penguin: Don't worry, I just want to help you make the game a reality, if you feel you need any help, you can ask.
Me: I'm sure, you guys are aware, even if the game is release, it won't really profitiable, and might cost more to make then it make?
Pen: We know, it's not like we don't know you, you aren't interested in making money, we're just more interested in a long term relationship.
Pen: Look, not just mobile and online game, we're also going into console and single player game, although their market in China is low, we hope through investment in Platinium, to make gamer and developer, we also started looking at small-mid dev team, like..
Me: Stop, I don't need your advertisement, the support for the medium/small dev is what I"m worried about.
Me: After investment, will you interfere in our product or company daily running?
Me: Then after making it, will you steal it? Like, saying we invest, or take away publishing right?
Pen: Easy, our internal development alot are using Unreal engine, and Epic China have giving us alot of technical support, if you need help or question, you can ask.
Me.So..if I don't accept the investment, can I still get their(Tencent internal team and Epic China) support?
Pen: We just want you to help make Black Myth Wukong a reality, and respect your view, this industry need this product.

From his page

Lmao

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
The capital NO is what kills me.

I like to imagine he shouted while hitting the table

dkn1Wf2.png

Their response is pretty clear though, they're not gonna give up, lol. I'll be on the lookout for their logo now. :p

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

From his page

Straight to the point. I like him.

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
So head of studio leaves tencent because he couldn't make a game like this under them but then gets their backing to help make the game he wants?

HitMissYeah

Oct 30, 2017

From his page

thanks for sharing, dialoge sounds harsh man.