• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Buy Konami. They seemingly want their games to succeed in the Chinese game space, so this isn't even me saying "buy the trash." What they've done with Contra and Castlevania are huge tells.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're focusing on small studios and individual developers rather than looking at big companies for acquisitions according to the Bloomberg article. They've been hiring some key players from various big name studios like Capcom, Konami, and last summer hired Bandai Namco veteran Tetsuya Akatsuka. They're also offering a hands-off relationship where all the intellectual property rights remain with the publisher and it would make its own decisions.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe marvelous and look to create more genshin impact kind of hit. I think they could pull it off if thy are given a massive budget.

dreamfall

Oct 25, 2017
Man, poaching Nagoshi?! This is pretty insane news - I wonder what his new studio would create. Yakuza would never be the same!

NetMapel

Oct 25, 2017
With Chinese government putting out more stringent policies and putting more pressure on Chinese gaming companies, I wonder if this is a way for them to sidestep it in a way. Or could Japanese companies that's owned by a Chinese company be somewhat affected as well? For example, Chinese games are limited to like, 1 hour play time for minors during weekdays. Could Tencent be forced to make that the policy for NetEase games?

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
A lot of people are saying Platinum Games, which I admit would make sense (although aren't they working on something for NetEase?), but I could also see NIS or Level 5 as potential acquisition targets.

Mar 18, 2020
Tencent and NetEase are two different companies.

Ed. Never mind, read too poorly🙇🏻

The two phone games I play most are from NetEase so come on with it tbh

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
With Chinese government putting out more stringent policies and putting more pressure on Chinese gaming companies, I wonder if this is a way for them to sidestep it in a way. Or could Japanese companies that's owned by a Chinese company be somewhat affected as well? For example, Chinese games are limited to like, 1 hour play time for minors during weekdays. Could Tencent be forced to make that the policy for NetEase games?
Restrictions like that would only apply to their domestic market. That goes for Chinese games as well.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
They're focusing on small studios and individual developers rather than looking at big companies for acquisitions according to the Bloomberg article. They've been hiring some key players from various big name studios like Capcom, Konami, and last summer hired Bandai Namco veteran Tetsuya Akatsuka. They're also offering a hands-off relationship where all the intellectual property rights remain with the publisher and it would make its own decisions.
It's interesting that part of the reason given why Japanese devs and studios are more receptive now is because of Playstation cutting support.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Platinum like everyone is saying since they're already getting Tencent money. Could also go for someone like Marvelous as well.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting that part of the reason given why Japanese devs and studios are more receptive now is because of Playstation cutting support.
States both the pandemic and Sony cutting back on support of smaller developers. That's also why NetEase and Tencent are primarily looking at smaller developers as stated in the article.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are saying Platinum Games, which I admit would make sense (although aren't they working on something for NetEase?), but I could also see NIS or Level 5 as potential acquisition targets.

I don't know who would want acquire NIS or Level 5 to make AAA games right now. From Software should be the safest option if they don't want to make experiments.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
get Vanillaware or Level 5, those 2 studios could use some funding not gonna lie

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Honestly, Level-5 could use new management. And at least with Tencent they'd have more budget, financial security, and would probably be on as many platforms as possible.

Party Sklar

Jan 7, 2020
Hope it's not Platinum, being bought after saying "now we want to be a free publisher" would surely hit the team's morale

But if it's really Platinum, Nintendo will regret not buying them in the first place for sure

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's not Platinum, being bought after saying "now we want to be a free publisher" would surely hit the team's morale

But if it's really Platinum, Nintendo will regret not buying them in the first place for sure

Platinum's games really don't sell that much, I'm sure Nintendo wouldn't really feel a huge loss in the long run. Especially since they could probably still partner with Tencent the same way they kinda partnered with Sega to make the Bayonetta stuff happen.

PachaelD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

I see this is more of a move towards brand renown and exposure with Chinese publishers looking to expand overseas and to console and others looking for Chinese partners to develop or publish their games in China (Timi already has Xbox/AoE, COD and Pokemon to date in terms of partnerships).

If anything Tencent tend to be the backer behind the scenes rather than upfront (see Riot, Supercell), so this change is a new direction if they want to bring it under the wider brand.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I have little to no experience with Chinese mobile games, but I hope that in their expansion into the console/PC market they leave behind some of their more predatpry/monetization tactics.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

PlatinumGames seems to be a minority acquisition.

I'm sticking with my guess for Level-5.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly an interesting time for game development in Asia with Sony taking a step back and Tencent/NetEase expanding their console game business.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This also reminded me, that Sony is now a gold sponsor for Bitsummit, while last year they were platinum. And for the first time ever Tencent is sponsoring Bitsummit and they are a platinum sponsor alongside Nintendo and Cygames.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how this will effect Yakuza going forward.
Not much. To be fair to Nagoshi - he's past on writing duties to mainly Yokoyama and other staff in his team and he's not the head developer or producer on the newer games either. And Sega recognise how popular the game is. Its most likely not going anywhere for now.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
The report says acquire not invest.

So, I think, it's more probable that Tencent acquires a studio in which they already invested, e.g. Platinum Games or Marvelous. If Tencent decides to acquire Level-5, I think, they would first make a minority investment.

But, this thread of thought is only applied to big studios. For smaller studios (e.g. CyberConnect2, Mistwalker,...) Tencent could fully acquire the company from the very start.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there was a law in Japan preventing foreign parties from purchasing Japanese companies.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
it's probably a good time for Falcom to look into getting outside investment.