• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
???

I was referring to Sony trying to buy a publisher a few months back, where Tencent ended up buying them instead.
Ah, ok.

But that doesn't refute the point where "Industry consolidation had existed way before", Microsoft has made 2 billion+ dollar acquisitions in gaming, Mojang and Bethesda. I can't recall any billion dollar purchases prior to these to be honest.

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft is literally part of the problem though and are doing their part to help fuel this consolidation of the industry.
Takes out of touch with reality like this and the complete inability to understand that consolidation in any industry is normal makes me continue to hope for acquisitions from anybody and everybody.

Guess what, consolidation has been happening in gaming for a long time and Microsoft hasn't "fueled" anything. You don't like it, that's your prerogative but stop trying to arbitrarily reframe history in a disingenuous context.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Ah, ok.

But that doesn't refute the point where "Industry consolidation had existed way before", Microsoft has made 2 billion+ dollar acquisitions in gaming, Mojang and Bethesda. I can't recall any billion dollar purchases prior to these to be honest.

That's simply because the value of game publishers and developers has skyrocketed in the last couple of years.

Embracer has spent nearly $500 million on Saber and EA is closing a $1.2b deal on Codemasters.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017
They have ties to the social credit system, surveilled foreign consumers and I have attached a video from a Youtuber I admire that goes into more detail than I ever could.

www.cnbc.com

China is building a 'comprehensive system' for tracking companies' activities, report says

The corporate "credit system" that China is launching will require businesses — foreign and local alike — to share more data than ever before.

www.cnbc.com

Chinese tech giant Tencent reportedly surveilled foreign users of WeChat to help censorship at home

Chinese internet giant Tencent has been surveilling content posted by foreign users on its wildly popular messaging service WeChat in order to help it refine censorship on its platform at home, according to a new report.

www.wsj.com

WeChat Becomes a Powerful Surveillance Tool Everywhere in China

China’s do-everything app, WeChat, has become one of the most powerful tools in Beijing’s arsenal for monitoring the public, censoring speech and punishing people who voice discontent with the government.

Wow a tech company carrying out mass surveillance and behavioural modification on its users. Thank god US companies would never do this or collude with governments in massive military, AI or facial recognition projects.

Yeah much better to cheer on the Americans buying everything.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
Ah, ok.

Tencent bought Supercell for 8.5 billion and Leyou for 1.5 billion. EA is getting Codemasters for 1.1 billion and spent an inflation adjusted 970 million on Bioware and Pandemic.

abady-25

Oct 27, 2017

In August 2017, Chinese holding company Tencent announced that it had, following a rejected acquisition bid, invested an undisclosed amount of money into Bluehole.[SUP][6][/SUP] Bluehole initially denied that any investment had been made,[SUP][7][/SUP] but later stated that they were in talks with Tencent in multiple partnerships, including the acquisition of an equity stake in Bluehole by Tencent.[SUP][8][/SUP] Subsequently, Tencent acquired 1.5% of Bluehole for a total of 70 billion.[SUP][9][/SUP] Tencent reaffirmed their intents to fully acquire Bluehole in November 2017.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP] Korean magazine The Korea Times suggested that an initial public offering, through which Bluehole would become a public company, was "out of question" due to Chang Byung-gyu's position as chairman of both Bluehole and the Fourth Industrial Revolution committee.[SUP][12][/SUP] At the time, 38 Communications, a company that tracks unlisted Korean stocks, valued the company at ₩5.2 trillion.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][14][/SUP] Tencent plans to invest further ₩500 billion to acquire further 10% ownership, raising their total stake to 11.5%[SUP][15][/SUP] Through the acquisition, Tencent is set to become Bluehole's second-largest single shareholder, following Chang Byung-gyu, Bluehole's founder and chairman, who owns 20.6% of the company.[SUP][16][/SUP]

make sense tbh if tencent buy them

Nov 28, 2017
wPx0d3w.jpg

AHA-Lambda

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if it's Take Two? Big but not EA or ATVI big.
Depends what scale we mean by several billion? Is this tens of or single digit?

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Ah, ok.

People are making the claim that everything started with MS buying Bethesda, it's clearly bs though; if the argument is that MS is the only game company to buy another publisher, that's not the case. If the claim is that it's the biggest video game company related purchase, I mean, that's not even true either and honestly this point of contention is just kinda moving the goalpost, no offense.

Buyouts and mergers existed way before MS buying Bethesda, I'm not sure the counter argument to that.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that it's not a console publisher, but rather something in the mobile space. The mobile gaming world is extremely lucrative, especially in Asian markets.

I also love how analysts like Zhuge always weigh in on these rumors for the clout of suggesting they have insider info but then offer nothing. Very cool!

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Wow a tech company carrying out mass surveillance and behavioural modification on its users. Thank god US companies would never do this or collude with governments in massive military, AI or facial recognition projects.

Yeah much better to cheer on the Americans buying everything.
Guys, but what about the American companies assisting with genocide?

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
It's totally gonna be a mobile game company.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
You're right, they're not the same. At least Tencent won't deny certain platforms their games when they acquire a company.
Well just like any console maker who gets new studios you will likely need the hardware to go with it. Were you upset when Sony got Insomniac? Probably not.

Which other major publishers have bought out another major publisher other than Microsoft?
You're upset Microsoft can afford to? Here is a list of acquisitions Sony has made throughout the years,

List of acquisitions by Sony Corporation

Psygnosis was also a pretty major deal back then.

I have said this repeatedly, at what point is the Xbox or PC going to become an option for those who have continued to use their Playststion consoles as the default platform for them? Throughout the history of videogames there has always been situations where gamers if they wanted all the best games needed multiple systems. We are also talking about a company who reaped the rewards of making exclusive deals over the decades with third party. So why is it ok for Sony to make their systems more attractive but not Microsoft?

In other words people just want to keep rewarding Sony for all the deals they made and feel they are now entitled to everything.
I did say "prior" in there didn't I?
People are making the claim that everything started with MS buying Bethesda, it's clearly bs though; if the argument is that MS is the only game company to buy another publisher, that's not the case. If the claim is that it's the biggest video game company related purchase, I mean, that's not even true either and honestly this point of contention is just kinda moving the goalpost, no offense.

Buyouts and mergers existed way before MS buying Bethesda, I'm not sure the counter argument to that.
It's called moving the goalposts to fit your own narrative.

Last edited:

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
In a prominent week for conspiracy debunking it would be apt for another multi-page "Microsoft Buying Zenimax Ruined the Industry and my Childhood" thread to end in Tencent buying a mobile gaming company.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

What are you talking about!!! Microsoft is the devil incarnate!!!
Whats even more funny people were fucking celebrating in the latest Nintendo acquisition thread 😂
But here we are in a thread that's not even related to Microsoft and we are back again to the Microsoft is the source of everything evil

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, Zynga. Remember Don Mattrick going there doing sod all then getting paid megabucks parachute.

Apo

Oct 28, 2017
They should outbid MS and buy Bethesda like EA outbid Take Two and bought Codemasters.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Well just like any console maker who gets new studios you will likely need the hardware to go with it. Were you upset when Sony got Insomniac? Probably not.

You're upset Microsoft can afford to? Here is a list of acquisitions Sony has made throughout the years,

List of acquisitions by Sony Corporation

Psygnosis was also a pretty major deal back then.

I have said this repeatedly, at what point is the Xbox or PC going to become an option for those who have continued to use their Playststion consoles as the default platform for them? Throughout the history of videogames there has always been situations where gamers if they wanted all the best games needed multiple systems. We are also talking about a company who reaped the rewards of making exclusive deals over the decades with third party. So why is it ok for Sony to make their systems more attractive but not Microsoft?

In other words people just want to keep rewarding Sony for all the deals they made and feel they are now entitled to everything.

It's called moving the goalposts to fit your own narrative.
well said.

Oct 25, 2017
What is the issue with Tencent? I know they're Chinese and there's a worry that they're linked to CCP, but I don't know whether there's reasonable evidence for that or whether it's just anti Chinese racism.
It's fans wanting their favorite company to consume even more large publishers/developers and Sinophobia. There is no concrete evidence that Tencent is linked to the CCP. That's a fake concern anyway. The same people calling for MS to swallow everything up don't seem to care about their closeness to the US military and their building of weapons technology for the US Army.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh. I am not okay with this at all because of the way the CCP behaves in regards to censorship. Whichever company they end up buying, I'll have to stop purchasing that company's products. I feel bad for the US or Korean devs but I just can't support the CCP in good conscience.