• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Led by Rockstar veteran Steve Martin, LightSpeed Studio will debut with an open world game for PS5 and Xbox Series X
Tencent Games is opening a new studio in Los Angeles, which is working on a AAA console game for PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X.

The new developer falls under Tencent's existing Lightspeed & Quantum subsidiary, which was founded in 2008 as one of the four studios within the Chinese publisher.

LightSpeed Studio will be based in Los Angeles, and led by Rockstar veteran Steve Martin, who held leadership roles on Grand Theft Auto 5 and Red Dead Redemption 2, among others.

Martin will be both the studio head and executive producer of development. In a statement released today, he pledged to create "a crunch-free and inclusive culture" for its growing team.
"We're ushering a new era of game culture by combining world-class development with a stress-free work environment," Martin said. "From day one, our teams will be focused on building the highest caliber games while promoting integrity, proactivity, collaboration, and creativity."

LightSpeed Studio has already recruited a team with experience at companies including Rockstar Games, Respawn Entertainment, 2K Games, and Insomniac.

The first project will be a AAA open world game

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So releasing 4-5 years from now if all goes well?

It's going to be a long wait.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Steve Martin looks so young in that picture, never knew he worked for rockstar though. No wonder hes The Jerk.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Surprised Tencent decided to open the studio in LA. That's fairly expensive compared to other options with deep game studio talent pools.

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Steve Martin? What a jerk.

On a more serious note, seems like Tencent is going all in on consoles.

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, more games the better. I ain't gonna complain. Open world is nice. Thought it would another arena hero shooter moba battle Royale card game.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Should be interesting. Tencent sure has the money to deliver a big production. I only worry that the games will very much be made with chinese censorship in mind.

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
Seems like a smart bet, how many well done high budget open world games have done poorly? Seems nearly all Sony, Ubi, Rockstar (lol) open world games have done well financially.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I figured it was only a matter of time before Tencent gave console development a try. Hopefully it pans out.

t26

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised Tencent decided to open the studio in LA. That's fairly expensive compared to other options with deep game studio talent pools.
From LA area they already got talents from Respawn and Insomniac. Naughty Dogs, Sony Santa Monica, and even Microsoft's The Initiative are nearby. Outside of Seattle and Bay Area you aren't getting this much talent

May 28, 2020
Man this might be a wild as fuck guess, but a part of me wonders if this isn't where the Andy Macnamera might be going.

koutoru

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what kind of scope they're imagining for their game. They're probably still going through the early recruitment phases.

"D."

Oct 30, 2017
Tencent? The same Tencent that loves their in-app purchases and microtransactions?

Kordelle

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the game won't be interesting to me, boycott will be easier that way.
certainly won't give my money to them anyway.

Lyrick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tencent? The same Tencent that loves their in-app purchases and microtransactions?

Yep, and is the owner of League of Legends, a strong private investor in EPIC games and partner in developing the new Pokemon MOBA.

They essentially print money and are really not a company you simply dismiss for bullshit reasons.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
User Banned (1 month): xenophobia and inflammatory commentary; prior bans for inflammatory commentary
Should be interesting. Tencent sure has the money to deliver a big production. I only worry that the games will very much be made with chinese censorship in mind.

They will. Look at blizzard.
Now a developer specifically created BY Tencent? I'd be astounded if there weren't mini games where you murder uigurs.
Tencent is evil. Pure and simple. It uses its influence to enforce the propaganda aims of a racist, totalitarian, kleptocratic regime regime. There's no getting around that.

Cyberia

Nov 8, 2017
They *really* hired a wave of top talent.

Sergei Kuprejanov - Lead Narrative Mission Designer. Previously for 23 years at Rockstar as a Design Director.

William Harms - Studio Narrative Director. Former Lead Writer/Narrative Director on Mafia 3 at Hangar 13.

Ken Feldman Art Director: worked previously at Respawn and before that at Santa Monica Studio.

Emanuel Druckmann - Studio Technical Art Director: yup, Neil's brother. Worked previously at Sony's Visual Arts Services Group as a Senior Art Manager and before that at Riot Games (Art Lead)

Bill Merrill – Technical Director. Previously Principal Engineer / Technical Director at Amazon Game Studios.

Trey McNair - Lead Environment Artist. Previously Senior Environment Artist at Insomniac Games.

And they are ramping up:

sKYosWX.jpg

Z1Gavfy.jpg

EZJW9Qg.jpg

GING-SAMA

Banned
Jul 10, 2019
They *really* hired a wave of top talent.

Sergei Kuprejanov - Lead Narrative Mission Designer. Previously for 23 years at Rockstar as a Design Director.

William Harms - Studio Narrative Director. Former Lead Writer/Narrative Director on Mafia 3 at Hangar 13.

Ken Feldman Art Director: worked previously at Respawn and before that at Santa Monica Studio.

Emanuel Druckmann - Studio Technical Art Director: yup, Neil's brother. Worked previously at Sony's Visual Arts Services Group as a Senior Art Manager and before that at Riot Games (Art Lead)

Bill Merrill – Technical Director. Previously Principal Engineer / Technical Director at Amazon Game Studios.

Trey McNair - Lead Environment Artist. Previously Senior Environment Artist at Insomniac Games.

And they are ramping up:

sKYosWX.jpg

Z1Gavfy.jpg

EZJW9Qg.jpg

Look like they want their own R*