• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
Wasn't this rumored for a while? I remember Sony having interest and then Tencent jumped in.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
Any company:
exists
Tencent:
tenor.gif

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Hopefully Splash Damage can still make Gears Tactics 2 in my dreams?

Nov 28, 2017
Wellthereitis.gif

There goes any chance MSFT acquiring Splash Damage.

Now about the 20% stake in Certain Affinity and the option to buy post 2020, what if MSFT tries to acquire them before the end of this year? What would happen to the stake then? Is acquisition from another company even possible with one already having a stake and will they be given preference first?

Is that even legal?

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Tencent is going to be a real big problem for regulators in the coming years if they keep acquiring

Doesn't Tencent's acquisitions pale in comparison to the monopolies that is Apple, Google, and Microsoft? And isn't this something that EA and Activision and Ubisoft have done for a decades?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so it's finally finalized. i guess they will fully acquire certain affinity too.

would have been a good get for sony if they didn't get outbid by tencent, with leyou studios being focused on shooters and online games.

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't Tencent's acquisitions pale in comparison to the monopolies that is Apple, Google, and Microsoft? And isn't this something that EA and Activision and Ubisoft have done for a decades?
you don't understand why people are upset

those aren't chinese companies

brace yourself for all the hand-wringing to come

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wellthereitis.gif

There goes any chance MSFT acquiring Splash Damage.

Now about the 20% stake in Certain Affinity and the option to buy post 2020, what if MSFT tries to acquire them before the end of this year? What would happen to the stake then? Is acquisition from another company even possible with one already having a stake and will they be given preference first?

Is that even legal?
the option to buy means they have the exclusive option to acquire the company after a certain point. if tencent wants to get them (which i can't see why they wouldn't want to), they'll get them. MS can't make an offer here.

Hopefully Splash Damage can still make Gears Tactics 2 in my dreams?
i doubt tencent will stop splash damage or certain affinity from collaborating with XGS on halo/gears games in the future.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
you don't understand why people are upset

those aren't chinese companies

brace yourself for all the hand-wringing to come
Real talk what is this double standard I see? People happy when MS spends billions gobbling up companies cuz it's American? Zoom, Nokia, Bing, Mixer. We have a number of examples of everything MS throwing money at not turning to gold. They essentially are already a monopoly and seemingly trying to do the same in the gaming industry. Why aren't we watching out for MS but are for Tencent? Unless I'm mistaken and these "yikes" I see are implying something else?

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Real talk what is this double standard I see? People happy when MS spends billions gobbling up companies cuz it's American? Zoom, Nokia, Bing, Mixer. We have a number of examples of everything MS throwing money at not turning to gold. They essentially are already a monopoly and seemingly trying to do the same in the gaming industry. Why aren't we watching out for MS but are for Tencent? Unless I'm mistaken and these "yikes" I see are implying something else?
There are some genuine concerns people have of Tencent being closely connected to the CCP and aiding in it's human rights violations by handing over customer information to them.

But too often do you see people recoil at any headline featuring a Chinese company investing in a western one which is completely xenophobic.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017
There are some genuine concerns people have of Tencent being closely connected to the CCP and aiding in it's human rights violations by handing over customer information to them.

But too often do you see people recoil at any headline featuring a Chinese company investing in a western one which is completely xenophobic.

CCP is not the only one violating human rights through these very means. I'm not defending CCP in its entirety since they have their share of very grave contradictions for a communist party (that must be discussed and pointed out), but that doesn't put them in a very special position compared to the very western companies that are also benefiting from human rights violations even in chinese grounds. This shouldn't be overlooked in this argument, because western companies are also doing whatever they wish with our data, including aiding certain views on political discourse that are convenient to them as an elite.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017

How much are Chinese Companies intertwined with the CCP and is boycotting justifiable? | ResetEra

I had questions too, read people's responses. I think there are reasons to be worried.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
CCP is not the only one violating human rights through these very means. I'm not defending CCP in its entirety since they have their share of very grave contradictions for a communist party (that must be discussed and pointed out), but that doesn't put them in a very special position compared to the very western companies that are also benefiting from human rights violations even in chinese grounds. This shouldn't be overlooked in this argument, because western companies are also doing whatever they wish with our data, including aiding certain views on political discourse that are convenient to them as an elite.

Please explain how any western countries are even on the same plane as the CPP right now. Yes, they are all evil and doing bad things but the CPP is so many levels ahead in their evilness it's crazy. They have concentration camps for MILLIONS of people. I don't see a realistic comparison.

edit: Let me clarify, Western companies are benefiting from these human rights violations, and yes, using our data. But these companies aren't the ones imprisoning people and the Western governments aren't doing anything even close to as evil with our data as the CPP does with theirs.
COmparing facebook to the CPP use of our data is kind of... weird.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder what this means for the collaborations Certain Affinity and Splash Damage do from time to time.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Please explain how any western countries are even on the same plane as the CPP right now. Yes, they are all evil and doing bad things but the CPP is so many levels ahead in their evilness it's crazy. They have concentration camps for MILLIONS of people. I don't see a realistic comparison.

edit: Let me clarify, Western companies are benefiting from these human rights violations, and yes, using our data. But these companies aren't the ones imprisoning people and the Western governments aren't doing anything even close to as evil with our data as the CPP does with theirs.
COmparing facebook to the CPP use of our data is kind of... weird.

facebook has literally enabled genocide

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder what this means for the collaborations Certain Affinity and Splash Damage do from time to time.
It depends on whether Leyou/Tencent is happy to let them continue their collaboration or if they want to prioritise new games and original IP (apparently, the reason Leyou bought 20% of Certain Affinity was to fund an original game). With that said, Tencent ownership won't preclude Splash Damage and Certainly Affinity from working with Microsoft in the future, unlike Sony ownership.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Tencent owns a majority of Path of Exile dev, Grinding Gear Games, Warframe will be fine for a bit at least. POE is still awesome.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They bought who? Do I need to know them?
they own:
- digital extremes, developer of warframe
- splash damage, developer of gears tactics, worked as a support studio on halo/gears games in the past
- 20% of certain affinity, worked on cod and halo games in the past, currently assisting 343i on halo infinite
- athlon games, publisher, published samurai shodown 2019 outside of japan
- kingmaker, chinese developer, focusing on mobile/f2p games
- radiance games, chinese developer, developer of civilization online

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
facebook has literally enabled genocide

I missed those news but reading up on it is a quite different experience.
One is Facebook not moderating properly (but still moderating) and having a global platform where people can share hateful views.
Other is companies giving data to a government so they can track people down and imprisoned them.
Having TERRIBLE moderation is still different than misuse of data collection to perform genocide.

I still see one of them as various levels worse. Not excusing Facebook behavior, I believe Facebook needs to be legally forced to do way better in multiple countries (I remember some countries where Facebook was basically the internet and Facebook was also doing a poor job at moderating), but those seem very different circumstances in my mind.

Actually screw this, no point trying to go on the route of evil vs more evil. Screw Facebook and screw American companies that enable this behavior.

Last edited:

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
they own:
- digital extremes, developer of warframe
- splash damage, developer of gears tactics, worked as a support studio on halo/gears games in the past
- 20% of certain affinity, worked on cod and halo games in the past, currently assisting 343i on halo infinite
- athlon games, publisher, published samurai shodown 2019 outside of japan
- kingmaker, chinese developer, focusing on mobile/f2p games
- radiance games, chinese developer, developer of civilization online

Oh wow, thanks for the info! That's some kind of variety.

Nov 8, 2017
i think tencent has been pretty hands off with most of their acquisitions.

Tencent currently has more money than it knows what to do with and just sort of stoppages out its cash whenever an opportunity arises. It's development capacity in the West is growing. At some point it will settle on a strategy, and it's unlikely that strategy will be "pretend every company is just its own thing and do contract work on an individual basis".

Warframe and path of exile will probably continue but I expect the days of splash damage and certain affinity doing work for hire are almost over.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
i think tencent has been pretty hands off with most of their acquisitions.
Tencent is problematic for a million reasons but in terms of management, I'd rather they own someone than most of the big Western publishers because they mostly just act like investors instead of meddling. Of course, we can't really set aside their various moral issues.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
I don't think they have any big correlation on this , both areas of the company have its budget for acquisitions.
Sony anime or whatever it is called used theirs for Crunchy.
True, plus buying this means they have to keep them multi platform to make sense. They won't turn everything Sony exclusive all the sudden, and bad for business.

Just Great

Oct 25, 2017
I hope one day Splash Damage can, again, make another Enemy Territory game, because they're literally that entire genre.

Drek

Oct 27, 2017
Sony should have bought this instead of anime streaming service lol.
They paid less for a company that significantly improved positioning in an entire market vs. getting Warframe and some solid dev teams.

They aren't short on development partners and Warframe would see meaningful value drop if they took it exclusive. The interest made sense but not worth a bidding war with Tencent by any means.