• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
NJANFVA.png
]

It's developed by a one man team as far as I know so it makes his efforts all the more impressive.

In Short:

When : hopefully an Alpha around March 2019, an Early version around June 2019, the online mode around September 2019, and the v1.0 around June 2020, but obviously nothing is set in stone for the moment
Pricing : US$29.95/EUR29.95 ; TE2013 owners will get a 15% discount for TE4 once the Alpha will have been released ; pre-ordering currently gets you a 10% discount => https://www.managames.com/buy.php?g=TE4
Platforms : Windows, closely followed by Mac OSX & Linux ; and hopefully the PS4 & Xbox One versions for June 2020 with the v1.0
New Features :
- Mainly, TE4 will be built with a new 3D Engine with new 3D players & 3D courts, and the menus will be redesigned, so everything will look much better
- The gameplay will also be deeply retouched to produce an even more realistic experience
- Junior Tour will be added to the World Tour
Requirements :
- Windows 7/8/10 or macOS 10.11+
- For the 3D courts with high quality, a 3D card with about 5000 points here https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high ... _gpus.html
- For the 2D courts, an IGP or a 3D card with about 1000 points here https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/mid_ ... _gpus.html
Details:

Why 4 ?
- TE 1 is the original TE released in end of 1996, including the enhanced Windows port named TE2004
- TE'98 is based on TE1 but with different menus, so it still counts as TE1
- TE2 is TE2005/2006 : its gameplay is slightly different from TE1, and it's technically better (ie: multi-resolution support), and features a network/online mode, and a greatly improved World Tour
- TE3 is TE2009/2011/2013 : its gameplay is significantly different from TE2, technically it's much better with 3D support, and the World Tour is much more complete
- I'm planning to have the next edition to live for many years, so it won't be named TE2019, but TE4 instead

Production Planning :
Development of TE4 actually started through the development of Tennis Elbow Manager 2, which focused on 3 things related to TE (and also other things related only to the managing side ) :
- a more complete World Tour, with Junior Tour and starting back in the 70's for men and the 80's for women (and no, still no mixing between men & women, so still no mixed doubles )
- the menus new design
- the most possible realistic CPU vs CPU matches
The advantage of this last point was to aim only for realism, without having to worry about the gameplay ; even though the user can optionally take control of their player and manually play matches, it's not the main point of a manager game.
So once TEM2 will be finished, I'll be able to focus back on gameplay and do a synthesis between the improvements done on TEM2 and the need to have smooth & accessible controls, matching the TE spirit built over the years.
The v1.0 of TEM2 should be released within a couple of months, once I'll have finished to port it to the Unity engine. You can follow its development here => http://www.managames.com/Forum/topic11-27585.php

Even More New Features ?
- 3 new player styles to match more closely the global strategy of what I'd call aggressive defensive players (ie: players who base their game mostly on defense, but also can feel pretty aggressive) ; this should help to paint a better picture of modern tennis
- Advanced IA tuning (based on the real-time coaching of TEM2)

The following features may or may not make it into TE4, but are strongly considered at the moment :
- Talent System (from TEM2, improved from TEM1)
- Single tournament mode
- Challenge System (but with a twist )
- Programmable ball thrower
- Service training
- Realtime scoreboard & real-time spectator mode for online matches

More realism, you said ?
TE3 is based on the principle that basic random errors are annoying. This means that in some situations, the ball must pass the net no matter what.
This is why some accelerations can actually end looking like a drop-shot. And if you're into realism, it is actually very shocking.
It's also why so few balls end in the net compared to real life tennis.
TE4 will at least partly drop this base, starting by the acceleration (so no more acceleration-drop-shot ), and for extreme (and not so extreme) cases for other shots. It means if you play a difficult ball, it'll often have a chance to end in the net, and/or to end out.
So the rules for imprecision, loss of ball control & faults have been completely re-hauled and this leads to more realistic variations of the ball trajectories. You can check the result in the 3D matches of TEM2.
I'll probably add some optional helpers and/or simplified control systems so it will still be easy to get into the game, and you'll raise the difficulty and/or remove helpers as long as you'll improve, like it is now with TE3.

Screenshots (Work in progress):

UK Slam
TSE0PCS.jpg

French Slam
mEiwb12.jpg

Australian Slam
GfHa32I.jpg

Shanghai Stadium
r3H4Olb.jpg

Miami Stadium
WCyskxv.jpg

Future & Challenger Indoor Stadium
HSakkVv.jpg

Side Court for Grand Slams
yybWGYp.jpg

Tennis Court Props
ilygkSQ.jpg

All information taken from https://www.managames.com/Forum/topic15-30551.php

Last edited:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I can only say that Tennis Elbow has nailed gameplay in its past iterations. Check out the ITST mod:

You can actually hit errors in a tennis game! The gameplay is satisfying, too. I hope Tennis Elbow 4 will improve on graphics and animations, have mod support on consoles. Great it is coming to consoles for the first time.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
It may look and sound bad, but Tennis Elbow 2013 is one of the best (if not the best) tennis sim out there. Kinda excited for this, I will see how the development goes.

OP
OP
Blue Lou

Blue Lou

Oct 26, 2017
An update on delays from the developer:

TEM2 = Tennis Elbow Manager 2
TE4 = Tennis Elbow 4

TE4 Planning Updated

Anyway, once the v1.0 of TEM2 will be released, maybe at end of this week or beginning of next week (if there are no additional bad surprises), then I will finally be able to switch to TE4 ! It'll have been 3 weeks later than what I hoped a bit more than 1 month ago ! :shock:

So for the people waiting for the TE4 Prototype, it should come before the end of July, the 1st Alpha before end of August, and the online is pushed far back, at best for end of December, but it's not sure for the moment.

And a little reminder to the TE4 fans but not TEM2 fans : nearly 90% of what I have done in TEM2 since last December was required for TE4 as well..! :yes:

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
All tennis fans, don't sleep on this. I haven't tried the new game yet, but am a long-standing fan of Managames previous work which used to be more about incredible depth than graphical power. This new project is very ambitious and deserves more love. I'm glad the new game will also hit consoles!

Nardy_19

Alt-account
Banned
Sep 14, 2019
I can only say that Tennis Elbow has nailed gameplay in its past iterations. Check out the ITST mod:

You can actually hit errors in a tennis game! The gameplay is satisfying, too. I hope Tennis Elbow 4 will improve on graphics and animations, have mod support on consoles. Great it is coming to consoles for the first time.

Actually you can hit a boatload of error in AO Tennis....Tennis World Tour as well, but that becomes easier after a while. I'm very eager to try TE 4 out for consoles, hopefully. The graphics and animation are rough but i keep hearing such great things about the gameplay .

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
I'll try this out at some point because I'm desperate but man I'd love a tennis game with a major budget. Respect for what they are doing here though.

I'd also like for a Pickleball game while we are at it. That sport is a whole hell of a lot of fun.