• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MegaBeefBowl

Oct 31, 2017
In Oregon all I hear is Sneakers, but I spend a lot of time around sneakerheads, so I'm obviously biased.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
For me (a Brit), a tennis shoe is like a subset of trainers. A bit like how cookies are really a subset of biscuits.

A Dunlop Green Flash is like the archetype tennis shoe.

1ae4888c-8cd8-4527-85fc-bbdcbe6fa0fe-2060x1236.jpeg

Oscillator

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I call shoes by what they're used for. Walking shoes, running shoes, athletic shoes, dress shoes, etc. And "casual shoes" for any kind of shoes without a specific purpose.

When I hear "tennis shoes", I see all-white athletic shoes with a fairly flat sole and a low top, as in:

Advantage_Shoes_White_F36424.jpg

FWIW, I'm Canadian, though I don't think that has any bearing on my preferred terminology. I just like to be specific.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I ain't ever heard any southerner refer to soda in general as "coke". These are lies, y'all.

Tuppen

Nov 28, 2017
I call them tennis shoes, although most people in my generation(Millennials) probably call them sneakers. I'm from Sweden.
There are probably several ways to call them in Sweden. The more traditional common way would probably be more the equivalent to gym shoes (gymnastikskor, gympaskor eller gympadojor).

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

Another one here!

"Tennis shoes" were only for white shoes used in...tennis. "Sneakers" was used in tv shows, but never in person. "Trainers" is something I only ever heard about in more recent time when I moved.

In gym class we called them both "runners" and "gym shoes" interchangeably.

Tezz

Oct 27, 2017
I've heard them called both tennis shoes and sneakers, but the former is more common.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Canadian here (BC), I just say "shoes" most of the time but if I had to be descriptive I'd say sneaker for like... A casual athletic shoe. Like Jordans or Vans or Superstars or Chucks or whatever. I grew up with my mom saying "runners", but now I associate a "running shoe" with a shoe especially made for running. I guess I'd usually use whatever term describes the shoe if I really want to be specific, and if I wasn't sure if something was a cross trainer or a runner I'd say "athletic shoe" probably. Doesn't come up much though.

Nobody I know says tennis shoe as a catch-all for any athletic shoe. But I knew the term was used just from cultural context because we get so much American media up here. I had no idea it was still a widespread term, though.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Grew up in Indiana, definitely heard tennis shoes all my life.

Also I disagree with the soda/pop/coke map, only ever heard coke or pop, never soda.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i'm with OP but also people who call soda 'pop' should be federally categorized. Jugallos are considered a gang, but goofballs who call soda 'pop' get a pass? what the fuck, the midwest

Olorin

Oct 27, 2017
I order a PIE of pepperoni pizza from my favorite pizza spot in New Jersey. I go pick it up wearing my sneakers.

Northeast always has it right.

Siegmeyer

Nov 2, 2017
UK here, trainers is the standard, although there is a term I remember from my youth, 'Daps'. Not sure young Brits would recognise that though, my niece and nephew had no idea what it meant when I used it recently to them. Any older BritERA ever use that too?

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
i'm with OP but also people who call soda 'pop' should be federally categorized. Jugallos are considered a gang, but goofballs who call soda 'pop' get a pass? what the fuck, the midwest

I 100% agree with this. It's bizarre. Someone decided to call a drink "pop", everyone went along with it and not one person stopped and said "this doesn't sound right..."

Rad

Oct 26, 2017
What do you call actual tennis shoes then?

I've always called the general ones sneakers and I play tennis so tennis shoes I call tennis shoes.

SelfCon

Oct 28, 2017
Grew up in Detroit. Coming up, my friends and I called them gym shoes. Only heard tennis shoes from older people.