• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm, as someone who's lived in Missouri, Texas, and California, they're called tennis shoes.

Absurdeity

Jun 2, 2018
from southern california, i've only referred to sneakers as sneakers.
have heard tennis shoes though, from older people like teachers

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I've lived in California my whole life, up and down the state. I do know people who say sneakers, but tennis shoes is definitely way more common.

Trainers is the best naming. Calling them all Tennis shoes is really dumb.

I have always thought it was really weird that everyone calls general-purpose athletic shoes "tennis" shoes. I like trainers too, but I like it's more a British term? I've never actually been around anyone who's used that term.

I have a friend who's in the Coast Guard and apparently they call them "go-fasts," and you must call them that. You're punished if someone catches you saying "sneakers" or "tennis shoes" or whatever. Very bizarre, it's kind of creepy that they dictate what you call common items like that (they also call pens "ink sticks," and I can't remember any others right now but there were a handful of others), but it's also hilarious they force everyone to speak like a child.

Tbro777

Nov 24, 2017
I've heard tennis shoes all my life, I just say shoes. My dad used to call them ball shoes.

Oct 27, 2017
wtf is a sneaker? sounds shady.
1000582.jpg

Deleted member 20433

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I call them tennis shoes, although most people in my generation(Millennials) probably call them sneakers. I'm from Sweden.

darkazcura

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny because I thought Americans called them sneakers...my mind is blown

But why?

I mean based on the map, it seems like 65 million of us still call them sneakers. Still quite a lot. There is also a subreddit for sneakers with close to a million subscribers, and I'm guessing there are people in it not from the northeast. I would say people outside the northeast are pretty aware of the term.

Last edited:

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Yep. From Indiana and I've always called them tennis shoes. I've heard sneakers here and there but it's not as common.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I think I've called them a little bit of everything except trainers. Usually they're just my shoes.

My mom definitely calls them tenna-shoes though.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Born in Chitown. We indeed called them "Gym Shoes" growing up. Moved to Missouri and they say "Tennis shoes" and call pop "Soda".
timduncanokthatsenuf.png

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I say sneakers (from NYC) but "tennis shoes" pisses me off. Had an argument the first time I heard it.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
In France, we use Tennis as well, or Baskets. As far as i can tell, both are losing popularity and are mostly used by 35+ people by now. But i'm not really sure what is used instead. I'm too old i guess.

Oct 28, 2017
It's like here in the south, every soda flavor, root beer, sprite, Coca Cola, whatever, they're referred to as "coke"

What kinda coke you want?

Other places might call them pop.