• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gosublime

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the UK version

trainers-slang-map-FINAL.jpg

I'm from just South of Edinburgh and I've never, ever heard of them being called baffies.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have never heard anyone outside the UK call them trainers. A trainer is someone who teaches you how to do something.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
NY here and I call them sneakers. I never call any shoes tennis shoes and no one else I know does either.

GodofWine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This definitely sounds like they did these surveys at the local country club or pickleball court.

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's funny because my dad grew up in western New York, like literally ON the line, and he says tennis shoes. But no one else I know does.

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Basket or Tennis in France haha! I say Sneaker myself because I'm not a savage.

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
I'm from just South of Edinburgh and I've never, ever heard of them being called baffies.
Honestly I've never heard anyone here call them anything other than trainers. In 35 years, from old folk or from young.

I have never heard anyone outside the UK call them trainers. A trainer is someone who teaches you how to do something.
Surely a tennis shoe is something yuo play tennis in, and a sneaker is something you sneak around in?

So they are all dumb.

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
Born in Chitown. We indeed called them "Gym Shoes" growing up. Moved to Missouri and they say "Tennis shoes" and call pop "Soda".
timduncanokthatsenuf.png
I was going to say "Where in Missouri have you heard 'soda' instead of 'pop' but then I saw that heatmap-style map a few posts after yours and it's everything outside of the KC-area that uses 'soda,' so I guess that makes sense why I never heard it there. I was a 'pop' guy until I started living in the South and then switched to 'soda.'

And lol at people in here from different countries in Europe saying they get called 'tennis shoes' there as well. So this obviously isn't some "America, you use a dumb name" thing; it's more a case of "England, why do you keep creating silly words for stuff?"
Sneakers, running shoes, gym shoes, tennis shoes (which I use a lot, but I recognize them as being more of a low-cut shoe as opposed to basketball shoes/hi-tops)... I'm fine with any of those. Calling them "trainers" is hilarious though.

digit_zero

Oct 27, 2017
While I am surprised to find out its a purely northeastern thing to use the term 'sneakers' - I am more fascinated that there are two separate pockets of people who call water fountains... bubblers?

jul-Aug-WK-You-say-tomato-08-Josh-Katz-760x506.jpg

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And trainers are what you wear on your feet when you're training. Do people do lots of sneaking in theirs?

The word "sneaker" is never used in any context besides shoes. Nobody says "A sneaker broke into my house last night."

The purpose of communication is to be understood, not to be accurate. "Tennis shoes" and "sneakers" are both words that have no contextual meaning at all besides referring to shoes.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
literally a section at every shoe store i have been in that calls them tennis shoes

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Grew up in Milwaukee and have lived in Arkansas, Texas, Missouri, Indiana, and Massachusetts.

I've heard people say tennis shoes and sneakers in every state. I honestly didn't think that anyone would give either term a second thought?

I've also heard "basketball shoes" and "kicks" but not from a gym teacher or anything.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
I must confuse the shit outta people because outside of saying "y'all", I don't line up with any of that map.

Saganator

Oct 26, 2017
I thought sneakers was a general term for shoes that aren't formal. I've never really used the word myself.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
When I was younger I'd call them tennis shoes. Now I usually call them exactly what they are - running shoes, trainers, etc.. Or I'll just call them shoes.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Been sneakers, kicks, or gators here since I was 7 or 8. I am familiar with the term tennis shoes but never heard a person actually say it.

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
Lol as someone from Chicago, it's gym shoes.

Though I say sneakers too.

Ive never heard them called tennis shoes.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I call shoes by what they're used for. Walking shoes, running shoes, athletic shoes, dress shoes, etc. And "casual shoes" for any kind of shoes without a specific purpose.

When I hear "tennis shoes", I see all-white athletic shoes with a fairly flat sole and a low top, as in:

Advantage_Shoes_White_F36424.jpg

FWIW, I'm Canadian, though I don't think that has any bearing on my preferred terminology. I just like to be specific.

Exact same here, also Canadian.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, tennis shoes.

Sneakers are for something clearly not athletically oriented, like Chucks.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Weird. This checks out for me I guess. I'm a Floridian and I always call them sneakers, but most people around me in Florida interchanged that and tennis shoes pretty equally.