• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
Live in missouri, grew up in Michigan. I just call them shoes, man. Why we gotta get tennis involved with this?

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Always been Tennis Shoes for me here in Colorado. I thought they were called Tennis Shoes because the rubber on the bottom doesn't cause black streaks on the courts. I know on some Tennis courts they don't allow you to use anything else but Tennis Shoes.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Oh-range or are-ange?

I have been saying are-ange all my life and someone pointed out to me that it was a strange way of pronouncing it(live in Ohio.)

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
As someone in Michigan this always got me because sneakers and tennis shoes aren't the same thing though a lot of sneakers have adopted the non-scuffing soles and other features of tennis shoes but yeah I've just called them shoes. Maybe more common catch-all term among older generations that continues on like the Coke thing in the South.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Originally from CA and grew up calling them tennis shoes but sneakers is the correct term. Tennis shoes is way too narrow of a descriptor.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm more confused that "Drinking Fountain" is a thing.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone call a water fountain that.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK here, trainers is the standard, although there is a term I remember from my youth, 'Daps'. Not sure young Brits would recognise that though, my niece and nephew had no idea what it meant when I used it recently to them. Any older BritERA ever use that too?
Daps is an old name for plimsolls. Not for trainers.

StudioTan

Oct 27, 2017
Never heard the term trainers. In Ontario at least we call them running shoes or runners. Not sure about the rest of Canada.

Pein

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
this shit is blowing my mind, I'm from NYC and I thought sneakers was the standard term

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody calls them trainers or sneakers.

A trainer is somebody who trains people. A sneaker is somebody creeping around.

And just to settle this once and for all: the proper term is "running shoes"

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I always called them sneakers or "Tinnie" (in stead of tennis shoes.

(Born on the US East coast, grew up in the south.)

I don't know where I got this from.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno man, why do we call football soccer and make up something else to call football?

We Americans are a strange bunch.

That's just a British term that British people abandoned when Americans started using it.

And yeah, it's always tennis shoes. Sneakers sometimes, especially in the phrase "sneaker-head"

Coyote Zamora

alt account
Banned
Jul 19, 2019
I've lived in California my whole life, up and down the state. I do know people who say sneakers, but tennis shoes is definitely way more common.

I have always thought it was really weird that everyone calls general-purpose athletic shoes "tennis" shoes. I like trainers too, but I like it's more a British term? I've never actually been around anyone who's used that term.

I have a friend who's in the Coast Guard and apparently they call them "go-fasts," and you must call them that. You're punished if someone catches you saying "sneakers" or "tennis shoes" or whatever. Very bizarre, it's kind of creepy that they dictate what you call common items like that (they also call pens "ink sticks," and I can't remember any others right now but there were a handful of others), but it's also hilarious they force everyone to speak like a child.

They are trained for combat and high stress situations. In those situations there is no time to be wasted on deciphering communications so everyone uses the same terminology for things so that nomenclature is not an issue. They're not doing that shit for laughs.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Tennis shoes? That's pretty cursed.

In Canada, I've heard them called sneakers (common), runners (common) and joggers (uncommon).

DRock

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Tennis shoes is a type of sneaker. Running shoes is a type of sneaker. Trainers are a type of sneaker.

They are fucking sneakers.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody calls them trainers or sneakers.

A trainer is somebody who trains people. A sneaker is somebody creeping around.

And just to settle this once and for all: the proper term is "running shoes"

Trainers is what we call them in the UK, and always have.

But hold on, if you call all of them Tennis shoes, what do you call Tennis shoes (trainers that are specifically designed for Tennis)?

(Although to be fair I refer to my specific running shoes as trainers too, I guess. That means you guys call running shoes, Tennis shoes) :D

(And what the fuck do you call a pair of Air Jordan's? :D )

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I was born and raised in NJ and it's always been my understanding that plain white athletic shoes with laces are tennis shoes. And you also have running shoes, basketball shoes, skateboarding shoes, etc. But the catch-all term is sneakers.

Oct 30, 2017
Here's the UK version

trainers-slang-map-FINAL.jpg

Huh. In South Africa one name is 'tekkies'. I wonder what the relation to the Scottish version is.

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
I have my Tenni Shoes and my Tennis Shoes.

One I wear to work, the other only for the tennis court. It's dumb

ReAxion

Oct 26, 2017
i just call them shoes but i understand what people mean if they say one of the other two.