• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Created on behalf of ethanradd in the Adopt-A-User Thread.
NPR CEO Jarl Mohn apologized to angered staffers in a contentious meeting Friday afternoon even as additional women accused the network's former top news executive of sexually harassing them.

"I've let you down," Mohn said, according to people present. "I should have acted sooner and I should have acted more forcefully."

Mohn conceded Friday that he had not taken warning signs in previous years and previous days seriously enough. Only on Tuesday — once The Washington Postpublished two accusations from unnamed women dating back nearly two decades — did Mohn suspend NPR's senior vice president for news, Michael Oreskes.

Mohn forced Oreskes to resign the next day, after I also reported that Rebecca Hersher had filed a formal complaint of sexual harassment in October 2015 when she was a 26-year-old assistant producer. She alleged that Oreskes had converted a work conversation about her aspiration to become a reporter into a drawn-out dinner over a bottle of wine, with extended exploration of her personal life.
More info here: http://www.npr.org/2017/11/03/56195...ver-handling-of-sexual-harassment-allegations

ethanradd

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks Kadin for posting this, was really shocked that this was taking place at NPR. Shows how widespread this problem is, the abuse of power regardless of the organization or industry.
I'm bothered that the CEO Jarl Mohn acted so late and only after pressure form external factors with The Washington Post reporting on the allegations. So was he otherwise just going to keep ignoring the problem and the numerous complaints. How can he just get away with an apology after something like this happening under his watch knowing there were numerous reports for years.

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Funny, isn't it. It's not cream that floats to the top. It's shit.

It's shit that floats to the top.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I just want to hear one story of a corporation or company swiftly punishing an high-profile employee for sexual harrassment by the end of the year. Is that too much to ask?

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I believe Mohn was interviewed on air on Friday? I was listening in and he was asked why they (NPR) were trounced on an internal story by an outside news agency. You could hear him be taken aback by the brashness of the question. I was like woah.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I believe Mohn was interviewed on air on Friday? I was listening in and he was asked why they (NPR) were trounced on an internal story by an outside news agency. You could hear him be taken aback by the brashness of the question. I was like woah.
Yeah, she said "How did you let another news agency scoop this story?"

He asked her to repeat and then fumbled around for a while.

ahoyhoy

Oct 25, 2017
Dude needs to be gone. I have too much respect for NPR for them to keep someone who ignores what's right in front of his face to be at the helm of my favorite news organization.

Robert Segel needs to tear into that fucker on air. He's out the door anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to hear one story of a corporation or company swiftly punishing an high-profile employee for sexual harrassment by the end of the year. Is that too much to ask?

You're on a site that was born out of telling the owner to go fuck themselves, effectively killing that other site and forming a new one.

So that's one thing

Oct 25, 2017
Mary Louise Kelly interviewed the CEO last week and it was something. She was not happy, I don't think I've ever heard someone interview their own CEO and grill them like that.