• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

King Dodongo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, but it does require a "fairly" modern phone. I have an S8 and it plays fine but I know some friends who could not play it because their devices were older.

I guess in my 3wc it cuold be seen as a good phone but indeed, I suspected that was the case. Will probably transfer what little I have when I get a better model. Thanks!

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
I didn't realize this game was still around. I played at launch and liked the concept, but not the execution. Has it changed a lot since then or still pretty much the same?

I didn't realize this game was still around. I played at launch and liked the concept, but not the execution. Has it changed a lot since then or still pretty much the same?
There have been a lot of mechanics and heroes introduced since launch that mixed up the game a fair bit, and in general, the meta shakes up frequently enough to keep folks on their toes so that you don't really see one type of deck dominating for much longer than a season. They've taken to doing more mid-season balance changes than they did previously, which is a good thing in general, and they've also been adding more and more incentives to check in daily with limited missions that aren't too tough to do but can yield cool rewards like free secret cards and exclusive icons. That, and it's been a very, VERY generous game in terms of free cards, so you never feel the push to spend actual money for booster packs to create a halfway decent deck to get you up in the ranked mode.

With a new hero coming up in the near-ish future and an expansion to go along with them, it's almost always a good time to enter or re-enter the fray to see what's new.

Two things!

One: I don't know if it got fast-tracked after the ransomware leak, but holy crap, I don't think ANYONE could have predicted Oichi as the next hero. I knew that there was still a fair few Sengoku Basara characters that the last expansion didn't have in it, but someone up there must have a soft spot for the IP for them to get a hero in the game. Not only that, but her HAs might make Wesker super envious, especially the one that immediately triggers a Death effect on a unit.

Two: QR codes are INSANELY generous, seeing as they gave away one of the current terrors of the meta for free, and in secret form no less!

0dg1oexo9q761.png

z7jppgxo9q761.png

zqvfqgxo9q761.png

swugkjxo9q761.png

They revealed her HAs as well:

-Deal damage to a unit equal to the number of units in your graveyard and gain 3HP if the unit is killed. 23AP

-Revive X3 4MP or less units in your graveyard and give them +1/+1. 28AP

-Trigger a death effect immediately. 14AP
She basically gets an uncapped Shadow Blade, a legit legendary card board revival, and a super nasty and cheap activation (T-001 Tyrant getting a board wipe on play has some serious potential). So yeah, she's looking to be scary.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Phew! Those AP costs are expensive, but seem reasonable given the effects.

I take it she'll go live in January?

Feb 15, 2019
Sooo, I used to play Shadowverse until Cygames banned the purchase of decks/crystals/whatever in Belgium and have since then not really touched a card game. I've been kinda wanting to play one again and set my eyes on Teppen, with a new hero and new expansion coming soon, it seemed like a good time to get started.

I do have a few questions.

1) Did they ban the ability to purchase stuff in Belgium in this game too? I couldn't find anything about it in a quick google search so I don't think so. But I'm not really interested in playing a card game fully F2P.

2) Is this game emulator friendly and if so, can you switch between mobile and emulator relatively easily? Shadowverse obviously had the benefit of having a Steam port and man it was nice to have.

3) I haven't had to in other card games but is rerolling advised in this game and is it easy? I saw a post above with some QR codes which I assume is to give me said cards which would make it a lot easier on me too. But I'd still like to have as decent a start as I can possibly get. How generous are they with currency to buy card packs with?

4) How is the population? I'm definitely rusty and I have no idea whatsoever about the meta of this game so while I expect to get my ass handed to me for the first few weeks, I would at least prefer there to be a population big enough to get matched against new people too rather than vets being bored and queueing casual or whatever the non ranked vs mode is called.

On top of that question, are the servers global? As in fully global. This seems like a game that would similarly to Shadowverse, do just as well in Japan (or at least Asia) as it might do in the rest of the world combined. So being able to connect to that region of players makes for both a much bigger playerbase as well as a much more competitive playerbase.

Thanks in advance for answering any questions I have.

Sooo, I used to play Shadowverse until Cygames banned the purchase of decks/crystals/whatever in Belgium and have since then not really touched a card game. I've been kinda wanting to play one again and set my eyes on Teppen, with a new hero and new expansion coming soon, it seemed like a good time to get started.

I do have a few questions.

1) Did they ban the ability to purchase stuff in Belgium in this game too? I couldn't find anything about it in a quick google search so I don't think so. But I'm not really interested in playing a card game fully F2P.

2) Is this game emulator friendly and if so, can you switch between mobile and emulator relatively easily? Shadowverse obviously had the benefit of having a Steam port and man it was nice to have.

3) I haven't had to in other card games but is rerolling advised in this game and is it easy? I saw a post above with some QR codes which I assume is to give me said cards which would make it a lot easier on me too. But I'd still like to have as decent a start as I can possibly get. How generous are they with currency to buy card packs with?

4) How is the population? I'm definitely rusty and I have no idea whatsoever about the meta of this game so while I expect to get my ass handed to me for the first few weeks, I would at least prefer there to be a population big enough to get matched against new people too rather than vets being bored and queueing casual or whatever the non ranked vs mode is called.

On top of that question, are the servers global? As in fully global. This seems like a game that would similarly to Shadowverse, do just as well in Japan (or at least Asia) as it might do in the rest of the world combined. So being able to connect to that region of players makes for both a much bigger playerbase as well as a much more competitive playerbase.

Thanks in advance for answering any questions I have.
1. Not sure what the deal is there, but the MTX stuff in the game is surprisingly minimal if you play consistently. You get plenty of Zenny (the in-game currency) through regular play, rewards, leveling heroes up, logging in, completing missions, etc. that you really won't find yourself hurting for booster packs. And they give so many boosters away as it is, especially during a new expansion/hero release.

2. I think it's pretty emulator friendly on Bluestacks, but I wouldn't know from personal experience.

3. Rerolling really isn't a thing in this game since one of the benefits of getting dupes (you only need three of each non-legendary card and only one legendary card of each card for deck building purposes) is that you can convert them to souls, which allows you to craft any non secret/gold card that's available. Secret and gold cards are effectively foil versions of existing cards, so they're not required for any other reason than to look cool. All four of those cards are secret cards, and in Sun Goddess Amaterasu's case, it means you're getting a free and rather excellent legendary card. On top of that, there are some early missions that you get to rank up in ranked mode that net you another two legendary cards for red, including what is arguably still the strongest red unit in the game in Fate-Defying Ryu.

4. It's quite active all around, though there has been a tendency in Grand Prix events (basically, short tournaments) for folks to hit it and quit it when they get their rewards, so you can run into some matchmaking issues depending on the time of day. And since the game is the same everywhere it's been released in the world, you'll be playing worldwide no matter what.

Feb 15, 2019
1. Not sure what the deal is there, but the MTX stuff in the game is surprisingly minimal if you play consistently. You get plenty of Zenny (the in-game currency) through regular play, rewards, leveling heroes up, logging in, completing missions, etc. that you really won't find yourself hurting for booster packs. And they give so many boosters away as it is, especially during a new expansion/hero release.

2. I think it's pretty emulator friendly on Bluestacks, but I wouldn't know from personal experience.

3. Rerolling really isn't a thing in this game since one of the benefits of getting dupes (you only need three of each non-legendary card and only one legendary card of each card for deck building purposes) is that you can convert them to souls, which allows you to craft any non secret/gold card that's available. Secret and gold cards are effectively foil versions of existing cards, so they're not required for any other reason than to look cool. All four of those cards are secret cards, and in Sun Goddess Amaterasu's case, it means you're getting a free and rather excellent legendary card. On top of that, there are some early missions that you get to rank up in ranked mode that net you another two legendary cards for red, including what is arguably still the strongest red unit in the game in Fate-Defying Ryu.

4. It's quite active all around, though there has been a tendency in Grand Prix events (basically, short tournaments) for folks to hit it and quit it when they get their rewards, so you can run into some matchmaking issues depending on the time of day. And since the game is the same everywhere it's been released in the world, you'll be playing worldwide no matter what.

Thanks for the reply!

It's nice to know that the game seems to be rather F2P friendly and it's also nice to know that there's not much point to rerolling. I'm a bit wary of the supposed matchmaking issues depending on the time of day but there's only one way to find out if they're actually bad or not and that is to experience it myself.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Thanks for the reply!

It's nice to know that the game seems to be rather F2P friendly and it's also nice to know that there's not much point to rerolling. I'm a bit wary of the supposed matchmaking issues depending on the time of day but there's only one way to find out if they're actually bad or not and that is to experience it myself.

I'm not a representative sample because I've been playing regularly since the game launched last year, but I've never felt like I needed to spend money to have remain current on the meta. I do spend some money to support the developers to get character skins. Their pull rates are abysmal but strictly cosmetic.

Good news is that if you start now, card rotation is about to hit so older sets will no longer be allowed in Standard so there's less you will need to craft and play around.

Feb 15, 2019
I'm not a representative sample because I've been playing regularly since the game launched last year, but I've never felt like I needed to spend money to have remain current on the meta. I do spend some money to support the developers to get character skins. Their pull rates are abysmal but strictly cosmetic.

Good news is that if you start now, card rotation is about to hit so older sets will no longer be allowed in Standard so there's less you will need to craft and play around.

That does actually sound great. I'm assuming the card rotation will happen around when the new expansion hits which should be soon? That way I can save up for now, try to learn the basics and how the game works, and then when the new expansion arrives and the dust settles, score a meta deck and go from there.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
That does actually sound great. I'm assuming the card rotation will happen around when the new expansion hits which should be soon? That way I can save up for now, try to learn the basics and how the game works, and then when the new expansion arrives and the dust settles, score a meta deck and go from there.

There was a lot of information just posted to the Official Teppen website about future plans that I'm still working through here: https://teppenthegame.com/en/news/info/

As for card with rotation, it appears that only a subset of each set will be rotating out and not entire sets based on an update from Nov: https://teppenthegame.com/en/news/info/0000217.html

Hopefully more to come soon!

There was a lot of information just posted to the Official Teppen website about future plans that I'm still working through here: https://teppenthegame.com/en/news/info/

As for card with rotation, it appears that only a subset of each set will be rotating out and not entire sets based on an update from Nov: https://teppenthegame.com/en/news/info/0000217.html

Hopefully more to come soon!
If I had to guess, they're going to handpick certain cards due to their counterplay abilities to maintain some semblance of balance, especially as a color like purple is about to potentially lose a LOT of options for cheap card cycling. Super Tyrant is totally done, though, as it's just too good for something that you can have a minimum of three in a deck with stuff like Dark Exchange making for genuine nightmare scenarios that can make that number grow to twice that and even more.

Red mains will be looking at The Devils Awaken like
14159ea834ea9b074ffc9c5961b22e0d.gif

when it comes to what could potentially leave the Standard rule set.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
So, Oichi's third HA, Dark Invitation, allows you to use death effects multiple times.

This is going to get nerfed at some point, because I've already discovered at least one juicy battery strategy that's really hard to counteract.

I tried making a Dark Invitation Deck focused on Nemesis Type-T, but couldn't get it to work. I thought he'd say on the field and activating the HA would give me another one. =D

I saw a degenerate deck built around Chosokabe Motochika, the 5-MP green Epic that gives you Toad Boat. I'm going to try running it tonight and see how far I can go.

Curious as I just got into Legends of Runeterra. How is this nowadays?
Standard rotation did so much to smooth out the balance of the game that it's kind of hard to see a lot of black players show up that aren't running Oichi with Despair, wail, and perish as their HA, since it's by far the best thing they have going for them right now with how many big and small destruction cards they lost in the transition, as well as Ouroboros decks losing every single one of their most valuable tools. Wesker's Bringer of Nightmares HA got buffed today in the hopes of seeing them pop up again, but that might be on borrowed time as the next expansion means that Haunted by Memories will be rotated out, which means that Sigma goes bye-bye. That isn't to say that black is weak, but their reign at the top for complete power creep bullshit definitely came to an end at long last.

The new expansion does feel a bit weak in terms of exposure since we didn't get a proper Phoenix Wright hero to go along with it (the ARG, while fun, just wasn't enough to make up for such a big hole), but I do think that Evidence and Present are going to be very strong tools going forward as Memory cards gets rotated out, as they fix the biggest problem with Memory (turning the secondary effects into a balancing act as they consume resources, rather than the braindead way that Memory works) while making it easy to forget about a lot of those Memory cards as they tend to have absolutely massive impact on the game that can make huge swings during a match. I don't know how many more expansions they can do without introducing new heroes before the player base revolts en masse, but I think Gung Ho is starting to do a lot more with planning stuff out better than they have in the past, so the next expansion or two can absolutely bring a lot to the table without needing to throw in one to make up whatever perceived difference there could have been with their presence.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I think the meta is really healthy right now, with several being viable as top level decks across multiple colors.

I'm having lots of fun!

ZeroCDR

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think the meta is really healthy right now, with several being viable as top level decks across multiple colors.

I'm having lots of fun!

Heartily agree! It was nice to see this topic bumped, I've still been playing regularly. Focusing on getting my last few characters to 50 because I'm enjoying the meta a ton and experimenting.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey we've got an update coming. What should we do?"

"Nerf red and give X nothing, of course!"

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
X is pretty damn great in Unlimited after the Heart Tank buff, but Standard remains Standard.

Only starting to look into the new expansion, but Coordination seems like a neat mechanic that some good synergy with Ascension to keep your board fresh.
In unlimited anything is viable, but in standard nah my shits ruined. As for ascension, Akuma really didn't need anymore boots unless they got rid of that card that spawns twice when ascended

As a Jull player I've watched my counter option dwindle. I don't have any counter to a black deck outside of "kill it faster" and for purple "outlast them and make them run out of good cards"

So yeah, big big big balance patch incoming that seems to be giving a massive middle finger to red and purple:

[Ver.4.0.5] Regarding Balance Changes

[Abilities]

Halt

Before:

Resets attack gauge.
While halted, the target will be unable to attack or counter.
If the target were to be attacked, they will not counter.

After:
While halted, the target will be unable to attack or counter.
If the target were to be attacked, they will not counter.

[Cards]
* Cards with the same status that have different names will also be affected.

Rocket Launcher (T009)

Before:

[MP:3]
Give 8 Pierce Damage to 1 enemy unit, then deal 4 damage to adjacent units.

After:
Deal 8 damage to 1 enemy unit, then deal 4 damage to adjacent units.

Scar of Humiliation (RYU 011)

Before:

Deal 3 damage to enemy Hero.

After:
[MP:5]

Claire Redfield (JILL 005)

Before:

[MP:3] [Attack:3] [HP:1]
When played: If your Explore Count is 3 or higher, deal 6 damage to the enemy unit in front.
Explore Count: 0

After:
[MP:3] [Attack:2] [HP:1]
When played: If your Explore Count is 3 or higher, deal 4 damage to the enemy unit in front.
Explore Count: 0

Barrel Bomb (COR 028)

Before:

[MP:4]
Deal 1 damage to all enemy units.

After:
Deal 1 damage to all enemy units.

Headshot (COR 030)

Before:

<Art Charge 2>
Deal 3 damage to the enemy Hero.

After:
<Art Charge 2>
Deal 3 damage to the enemy Hero.

Sneak Attack (COR 035)

Before:

[MP:2]
<Art Charge 1>
Deal 2 damage to the enemy Hero.

After:
<Art Charge 1>
Deal 2 damage to the enemy Hero.

Claire Redfield (IOF 102)

Before:

[MP:4] [Attack:1] [HP:6]
<Rush><Crush>
<Growth>: 3
Lv. 2: Gain +1/+1.
Lv. 3: Gain +1/+1.

After:
[MP:4] [Attack:1] [HP:5]
<Rush><Crush>
<Growth>: 3
Lv. 2: Gain +1 Attack.
Lv. 3: Gain +1 Attack.

Overpower (DANTE 011)

Before:

Returns an enemy unit that costs 3 MP or less to the EX Pocket.

After:
Returns an enemy unit that costs 3 MP or less to the EX Pocket.

Demonic Intimidation (DANTE 012)

Before:

Returns an enemy unit that costs 4 MP or less to the EX Pocket.

After:
Returns an enemy unit that costs 4 MP or less to the EX Pocket.

Malfestio (MOR 048)

Before:

[MP:3] [Attack:1] [HP:5]
<Flight> <Faith>
When Attack is 2 or more for the first time: Gain +2 HP and "Damage taken -1."

After:
[MP:3] [Attack:1] [HP:4]
<Flight><Faith>
When Attack becomes 2 or higher for the first time: Gain "Damage taken -1."

Dante (MOR 045)

Before:

[MP:9] [Attack:4] [HP:7]
<Agility>
While in your hand or EX Pocket: When a friendly Human unit or friendly Demon unit dies, give this Unit Card -1 MP. (MP costs cannot drop below 1.)

After:
[MP:9] [Attack:4] [HP:7]
<Agility>
While in your hand or EX Pocket: When a friendly Demon unit dies, give this card -1 MP. (MP costs cannot drop below 1.)

Heartless Experiment (COR 165)

Before:

[MP:1]
Sacrifice 3 Life.
Give 1 friendly unit +2 Attack.

After:
Sacrifice 3 Life.
Give 1 friendly black unit +2 Attack. (Effective for 1 attack.)

Psycho Power (COR 166)

Before:

Sacrifice 3 Life.
Give 1 friendly unit +2/+2.

After:
Sacrifice 3 Life.
Give 1 friendly black unit +2/+2.

Selfish Predation (COR 173)

Before:

Destroy 1 friendly black unit and your Hero gains +7 Life.

After:
Destroy 1 friendly black unit, then give your Hero +4 Life.

[Hero Art]
*The ability adjustment of Hero Arts is also applied to Hero Arts after changing the skin.

Denjin Renki (Ryu Hero Arts)

Before:

[AP:15]
Give all of your Action Cards and Unit Cards effect damage +1.

After:
[AP:15]
Give all of your Action Cards and Unit Cards effect damage +1. (This Hero Art effect does not stack.)

Change Form (Nergigante Hero Arts)

Before:

[AP:18]
If your Hero's Life is 20 or less, give all friendly units in your hand, EX Pocket, and on your field +1/+2.

After:
[AP:18]
If your Hero's Life is 20 or less, give all black units in your hand, EX Pocket, and on your field +1/+2.

Dancing Dead (Oichi Hero Arts)

Before:

[AP:23]
Deal damage to 1 enemy unit equal to the number of Unit Cards in your Graveyard.
If a unit dies from this damage, your Hero gains +3 Life.
Unit Cards in Your Graveyard: 0

After:
[AP:23]
Deal damage equal to the number of units in your Graveyard +3 to 1 enemy unit.
If that unit is destroyed by this damage, additionally give your Hero +3 Life.
Units in Your Graveyard: 0

A lot of the changes are good, at least, but here's what I think overall:

Good stuff: Halt will finally work how it should have all along; Denjin Renki gets a hard cap; black Faith-based dual color decks should slow down a lot now with the Change Form nerf and the new restrictions on the most popular buff actions; Selfish Predation finally feels fair while retaining its key effect; Malfestio and IOF Claire are no longer insane values for what they cost; Ultimate Weapon decks aren't so stupid now with the Rocket Launcher nerf removing the pierce effect while retaining its board wipe power; Dancing Dead seems like a better Shadow Blade now with the free +3 damage

Mixed stuff: The red actions that everyone has come to know and despise feel like they got over-nerfed cost wise when you consider the biggest reason why they were so lethal was because of the lack of a cap on Denjin Renki, especially since every other color can deal with the chip damage their own way; MOR Dante's nerf kinda kills the card outright and I don't think they went quite in the direction that they needed to here even as I'm not sure how you would balance it otherwise

Bad stuff: Sheesh, they kinda murdered base Claire with the damage and attack nerfs, and though it's never fun to deal with what's likely to be an instant unit wipe when she hits the board, she's easy to anticipate as soon as you start counting the Explores and prepare around her inevitable arrival and even bait the play out, making me think that it should have been one or the other and not both; the purple bounce cards feel really punishing in cost now due to how much of the meta seems to be congregating around mixing Faith and Coordination units working in tandem for all colors, which gives purple fewer defense and reset options when not spamming Halt as often now, and I don't know what direction they're trying to put purple in as a result

Next season should be rather telling in terms of balance here, as green decks building themselves around Alligator and Veteran Huntsman gain a lot from the red nerfs and mono black Change Form decks are entirely unaffected by the changes elsewhere to the Art and actions. I almost wonder if they'll retouch Denjin Renki again down the line to put the buff back to the original +2 now that the cap is in place, since that would at least make the more costly red actions more worth it. There's definitely the feeling that they want everybody to focus on units now, so we'll see how that goes.