• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ActWan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The article is in Spanish, but the CEO of Tequila Works (Raúl Rubio) revealed in an interview some new interesting tidbits about the DualSense:

- ''And the haptic feedback, the most interesting aspect for Rubio of all that has been presented to date about the PlayStation 5 controller. "Haptic feedback is something that we will be able to see not only in passive terms. What would happen if we started having biometric data of the player and if we could know how he feels? In other words, to have an experience more similar to what we have started to see with Stadia ".

- The create button does more than solely sharing gaming experiences, but he refrained from clarifying as to not break NDA

Source: https://as.com/meristation/2020/04/21/noticias/1587462332_845397.html

MOD EDIT: Changed the tidbit about biometrical data to a translation of the actual quote

Last edited by a moderator:

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
So when I play RE8 in VR it's going to shut the system down immediately because it can read from my biometrics that I'm too much of a wuss to handle it?

De-mon

Oct 27, 2017
It's not exactly. He said "What would happen if we started having biometric data of the player and if we could know how he feels?", but it's not confirming it

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In MGS VI, Psycho Mantis will be able to tell if you're afraid of him reading into your Dead or Alive xTreme Beach Volley 4 save file by monitoring your heart rate.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
Maybe that will allow the game to know which user is playing the game and switch to it's user profile on the fly?

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
makes sense given the name/name change
look forward to seeing this be used in about 3 first party games

wonder if you'll be able to log in/wake up the ps5 from touching the controller

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was going to post "The Vitality Sensor lives!", but that's not what it says.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I don't understand what it means
dims

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
I remember the Sony patent for that last year so was expecting it as a feature for the new controller, and would make "DualSense" name make more.. sense. But looks like this doesn't totally confirm it.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Haptic feedback is something that we will be able to see not only in passive terms . What would happen if we started having biometric data of the player and if we could know how he feels? In other words, to have an experience more similar to what we have started to see with Stadia.

From his perspective as a video game developer, these possibilities can range from fingerprint recognition to being able to feel , what the term comes to mean, what we see on screen. Geometry of the hand, special vibration simulation like the one introduced by Apple's Apple Watch these last generations...

I don't think he's confirming that it reads biometric data and knows how we feel.

Also how is 'knowing how the player feels' an experience 'more similar to what we see with Stadia'?

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's confirming that it reads biometric data and knows how we feel.

Also how is 'knowing how the player feels' an experience 'more similar to what we see with Stadia'?

I also didnt understand that, maybe it was an error since earlier in the article he kinda says the opposite?
"It is a very interesting idea, but, above all, it is a quite intelligent application of technology," he begins by saying about the novelties that DualSense will offer. In the traditional controllers, Rubio accuses a lack of daring when implementing new features such as those offered by Stadia when interacting with video game controls. With the DualSense, he hopes that the situation will be reversed and we will have a more sensorial experience.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I remember the Sony patent for that last year so was expecting it as a feature for the new controller, and would make "DualSense" name make more.. sense. But looks like this doesn't totally confirm it.
Yeah there was a patent, wasn't it?

Though perhaps the DualSense doesn't have it, and they decided to keep it for the new VR controllers?

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Finally, now Tequila Gameworks can see how frustrated and apathetic I am when I play their games

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't see how you can code a game around any biometric. It will most likely be bottom tier tech built into the system and everyone has such different metrics what would you even code for? Someone could be super excited and have a 70 bpm or a 120 bpm depending on the person. Another person could be relaxed and have a 85 bpm. The PS5 would have to actually learn your biometrics over time to make something like this work.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how you can code a game around any biometric. It will most likely be bottom tier tech built into the system and everyone has such different metrics what would you even code for? Someone could be super excited and have a 70 bpm or a 120 bpm depending on the person. Another person could be relaxed and have a 85 bpm. The PS5 would have to actually learn your biometrics over time to make something like this work.

Just wait till you see the biometrics tab of your PSN profile