• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerg

Oct 25, 2017
Possibly pointing out the oddity that she writes under two names, one of which is male and the other is gender- neutral.

I don't think it's that odd. One is a pen name which she first used when branching out into a different genre, and she was advised to use the gender-neutral "JK Rowling" by her publisher as they feared that boys wouldn't want to read a book by a female author.

Last edited:

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
It is still kinda baffling for me that the creator of something that is loved by people across the world, something that transcended the barriers of borders, language, and culture and beloved by many, with the concept of love even becoming the central focus point of its universe, can be so hateful.

It's just a bit mind-boggling.

Unfortunately, not the only one. I can also think of Notch and Minecraft, but ATLEAST Notch has been cut of that IP completely (as fas as I know) . Rowling is still actively profiting and still beloved by a huge number of of people worldwide.

Paroni

Dec 17, 2020
Unfortunately, not the only one. I can also think of Notch and Minecraft, but ATLEAST Notch has been cut of that IP completely (as fas as I know) . Rowling is still actively profiting and still beloved by a huge number of of people worldwide.

Notch sold the entire thing to Microsoft, I don't think he even gets any royalties anymore but of course received a giant single paycheck for giving up the IP.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
She attended the premiere, btw
She was likely advised not to, but ultimately she owns the IP, co-wrote the film, and is a producer on it. There's not a great deal you can do to stop her. Katherine Waterston (Tina) also attended, which I'm wondering if it was a contractual obligation - as she's been the most outspoken about Rowling, has appeared in zero marketing for the film, and is rumoured to only have a tiny part in it.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the situation can be as easily resolved in the same way as Minecraft and Notch. Even if WB paid Rowling off for the complete rights or something. The film series still drives sales of the books which have her name on the cover.

As much as I largely loved the books and films, it's better to let JK Rowling and Harry Potter fade into obscurity over time. The two Fantastic Beast films ranged from poor to terrible in my opinion, and the new one looks pretty awful too. This will also be the first product to come out since JK Rowling started publicly outing herself as a shitty person, so I suspect that it may kneecap the box office on this one, but we will see.

Edit: Also, just to add to this, they originally were meant to start filming this early 2020. I think once the film is out, we might see some of the cast opt out returning for more films.

Last edited:

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think the situation can be as easily resolved in the same way as Minecraft and Notch. Even if WB paid Rowling off for the complete rights or something. The film series still drives sales of the books which have her name on the cover.

As much as I largely loved the books and films, it's better to let JK Rowling and Harry Potter fade into obscurity over time. The two Fantastic Beast films ranged from poor to terrible in my opinion, and the new one looks pretty awful too. This will also be the first product to come out since JK Rowling started publicly outing herself as a shitty person, so I suspect that it may kneecap the box office on this one, but we will see.

Edit: Also, just to add to this, they originally were meant to start filming this early 2020. I think once the film is out, we might see some of the cast opt out returning for more films.

Sadly I feel the only thing that's going to kneecap this is the second film being absolutely terrible more than JK becoming a terrible person. Look on other websites to see how many people are still interested in Hogwarts Legacy (And even the developers of Hogwarts Legacy have their own issues as well.)

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
I wish desperately that someone else had made this series. I realize it still has inherent problems, but it was the one Young Adult thing that I had held onto and still liked, and it happens that the person who made it is pushing not just a terrible ideology, but an ideology that is very specifically the one that gets under my skin the most and hurts people that I consider family. Why does she have to be like this?

Hate that a game that I considered a dream game as a child and talked about wanting many times is now something that I definitely can't enjoy. I don't want to put a single cent in her pocket, and even if I managed to get ahold of it for free, I would still be unable to play it without constantly thinking "wow, the lady who made this is doing everything she can to hurt my girlfriend, friends, and family members". I finally understand what other people went through about various pieces of media where I used to just shrug and mumble something about "separating the art from the artist". It's so vile that I can't even think about touching the game, and it makes me upset that other people don't care as much and don't have a problem with it.

Fuck J.K. Rowling. I hope there's a Hell and that she burns in it. Also hope that Twitter TOS updates at some point so that she has less of an avenue to spew this vile garbage on everyone.

SuperEpicMan

Oct 25, 2017
Sadly I feel the only thing that's going to kneecap this is the second film being absolutely terrible more than JK becoming a terrible person. Look on other websites to see how many people are still interested in Hogwarts Legacy (And even the developers of Hogwarts Legacy have their own issues as well.)

I think even without JK Rowling being as she is, they have an uphill battle. The last film was really badly critically received, and also made a good amount less money than the first one. The new one looks pretty poor too, and unless it really does well with the critics or word of mouth, is unlikely to pull in even what the last film made at the box office.

If the film bombs, it will be easy for WB to shoulder at least some of the blame to JK Rowling's public views. I also think much of the cast will be gone once their contractual obligations are over.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

Haven't played Minecraft, but as far as I understand, none of Notch bullshit was inside the game so it was easy to erase him forever. Meanwhile, like it was pointed out in Shaun's video, Rowling injected her disgusting views in the writing of those books. Even if you somehow deleted Joanne's name and any reference to her, those books are already tainted.

Hopefully is the third movie bombs and Warner decides to abandon this vanity project of hers. Even better if the Hogwarts game also fails, although I doubt it.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Minecraft, but as far as I understand, none of Notch bullshit was inside the game so it was easy to erase him forever. Meanwhile, like it was pointed out in Shaun's video, Rowling injected her disgusting views in the writing of those books. Even if you somehow deleted Joanne's name and any reference to her, those books are already tainted.

Hopefully is the third movie bombs and Warner decides to abandon this vanity project of hers. Even better if the Hogwarts game also fails, although I doubt it.
It's been loosely pointed out that villagers mimic Jewish stereotypes, but that's also where it seems to end.

Not to go too off-topic, but what's weird about Notch is that he didn't even have explicitly hateful views on gender according to his own words on Minecraft and expressed that the concept of gender in Minecraft did not exist in Minecraft.
https://www.technobuffalo.com/minecraft-steve-has-no-gender

It was only later after selling the entire IP that he suddenly started to spew shitty and bigoted views.

SimonChris

Oct 27, 2017
It's been loosely pointed out that villagers mimic Jewish stereotypes, but that's also where it seems to end.

Not to go too off-topic, but what's weird about Notch is that he didn't even have explicitly hateful views on gender according to his own words on Minecraft and expressed that the concept of gender in Minecraft did not exist in Minecraft.
https://www.technobuffalo.com/minecraft-steve-has-no-gender

It was only later after selling the entire IP that he suddenly started to spew shitty and bigoted views.

PcR7k54.png

Yeah, he also talked about learning to use gender-neutral pronouns and how everyone in Minecraft is technically gay. I don't know what happened to him.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
PcR7k54.png

Yeah, he also talked about learning to use gender-neutral pronouns and how everyone in Minecraft is technically gay. I don't know what happened to him.
At least in this case, death of the author works cause he has zero hold on the IP and the content isn't affiliated with his now terrible views. So tired of hearing "death of the author" while then throwing more money at JK Rowling.

Oct 26, 2017
My family is made up of huge Potter fans. We normally see the movies at midnight. Have met some of the actors at conventions. All that jazz. So I was really glad that my wife, and even my 11 year old, took no issue with us skipping this newest movie due to how big of a piece of shit Rowling is. I wish I had a sense how many others out there might avoid it because of her too. Just hoping it does poorly. But hell....even if it does bad, her defenders will work themselves into a knot that it performing poorly had nothing to do with Rowling while simultaneously whining about cancel culture.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
My family is made up of huge Potter fans. We normally see the movies at midnight. Have met some of the actors at conventions. All that jazz. So I was really glad that my wife, and even my 11 year old, took no issue with us skipping this newest movie due to how big of a piece of shit Rowling is. I wish I had a sense how many others out there might avoid it because of her too. Just hoping it does poorly. But hell....even if it does bad, her defenders will work themselves into a knot that it performing poorly had nothing to do with Rowling while simultaneously whining about cancel culture.
Just gonna say kudos to you and your family, it's nice of you to abstain in light of her actions and attitudes. Thank you 🌷

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Removed Harry Potter extracts from our upcoming "Heroes and Villains" lessons at school. Feel distinctly uncomfortable using it as an example.

loco

Jan 6, 2021
She was likely advised not to, but ultimately she owns the IP, co-wrote the film, and is a producer on it. There's not a great deal you can do to stop her. Katherine Waterston (Tina) also attended, which I'm wondering if it was a contractual obligation - as she's been the most outspoken about Rowling, has appeared in zero marketing for the film, and is rumoured to only have a tiny part in it.
Nah there was a small press event for the occasion. She was invited and expected to be there. Entertainment Tonight did a whole fluff piece on it last night. There is a large part of the fan base that are oblivious to her being terfy.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Rowling was liking tweets opposed to banning conversion therapy here in Canada like 2 years ago and I can't imagine she's gotten any better on the issue as she's clearly been devolving further and further.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Rowling was liking tweets opposed to banning conversion therapy here in Canada like 2 years ago and I can't imagine she's gotten any better on the issue as she's clearly been devolving further and further.

Rowling digs in deeper the more blowback she gets. She gets real glee out of it.

Also is she signal boosting this guy or is it just two idiots with the same name:

edit: nm, it's two different Dr. David Bells from the UK with moronic views

Last edited:

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any good summary of the negative things she's said, or a link to a post that has that.

The topic of Rowling came up with my spouse the other day and I want her to better understand why Rowling's wrong opinions are putting trans lives in danger. We are both Harry Potter fans but I've already self-imposed any harry potter related purchase because I don't want to have money going to someone who perpetuates hate to such a large platform of people who view her word as gospel.

OP
OP
It’s Time To Go
Dec 2, 2017
Anyone have any good summary of the negative things she's said, or a link to a post that has that.

The topic of Rowling came up with my spouse the other day and I want her to better understand why Rowling's wrong opinions are putting trans lives in danger. We are both Harry Potter fans but I've already self-imposed any harry potter related purchase because I don't want to have money going to someone who perpetuates hate to such a large platform of people who view her word as gospel.
I think this post from Kyuji sums it up well

I think some people genuinely don't understand the impact Rowling has had and still think she's just someone whose impact extends to a few tweets. So I'll repeat the summary that she has:
  • Helped drive trans children toward self harm and suicide.
  • Helped reduce the ILGA score of the UK by being a prime motivator in increased hostility towards trans people.
  • Related transition to being a new form of gay conversion therapy, one that should be further restricted.
  • Given voice, promotion and platform to numerous transphobes and large anti-trans groups.
  • Led a revolt that saw the most basic reform for Gender Recognition in the UK scrapped, despite a 70% approval rating.
  • Added to a pressure that resulted in links to support systems for vulnerable trans children being removed by the BBC.
  • Put out numerous transphobic articles and tweets turning perception of fans and followers against trans people.
  • Helped influence a move that saw young trans people face further hardships in accessing trans-affirming healthcare.
  • Been cited by foreign politicians in their own bids to restrict trans rights, healthcare access and freedoms.
  • Poisoned discourse around trans access to bathrooms, increasing the violence and uncertainty trans people face.
Rowling is actively destructive to trans lives, especially those in the UK and of younger people looking to live as themselves. The wave of transphobia she sparked and continues to drive has led to legislation being scrapped, rights being removed and calls for trans women to be shot in the street.

She is someone who continues to cause irreparable damage to trans people in this country and abroad.

Bloodarmz

Jul 11, 2018

Jessie Earl wrote an article about the damage JK Rowling has been doing for the past few years.
www.gamespot.com

JK Rowling's Anti-Transgender Stance And Hogwarts Legacy

With a brand-new Harry Potter game on the way, now is the time to unpack and try to understand the impact of franchise creator JK Rowling's discriminatory behaviour.

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Got to love how she's apparently such a busy woman and yet she finds the stuff all the time...

It's almost as if she's obsessed with this and constantly is online just to promote her ideals! Hmm weird :0

Seriously, fuck her. ;)

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.

I know it's not the first time she's harped upon autism, but as a member of the spectrum, Rowling can eat shit. Don't you dare weaponize our condition to invalidate our respective communities.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017

I know it's not the first time she's harped upon autism, but as a member of the spectrum, Rowling can eat shit. Don't you dare weaponize our condition to invalidate our respective communities.

As a fellow person on the spectrum, I don't think that's actually the dog whistle she's going for here (addressing the claim of the tweet here).

Rather, she's cynically exploiting the largely unexplored overlap that is a number of trans people also being autistic - which, albeit anecdotally, is applicable to at least three people I know personally - and trying to frame this as them being exploited, or otherwise in a vulnerable position where they don't realise they're being exploited. Knowing that there's sort of enough acceptance of autism/autistic children in society generally (nevermind the government's increasingly shit handling of actually providing support) that, as with women, she can frame them as ones needing protecting from ~the trans agenda~

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
The most infuriating thing about Rowling is her flagrantly selective view on reality. She is the pure distilled embodiment of confirmation bias and applies it to absolutely every manner of engagement she takes. She pulls out complete hacks who make the arguments she wants to push, completely ignores the wave of people who can clearly discredit their work. She darts in on any negative commentary in her mentions to paint trans folks as bullies and again pays zero mind at all to the nonstop waves of harassers she throws at us calling for genocide. She'll even pull her examples within the replies of well-thought critique, or replies to anti-trans harassers, just ignoring that chain to only pull up the takes she wants to magnify.

Rowling just absolutely will not engage in any sincere manner in this discourse that she quite clearly wants to embed her life into and it's fucked up.

Manu

Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
JK Rowling sent a horde of bigots after Faye Fadem, aka hyperpop musician Trust Fund Ozu, over the video for her song "JK Rowling Diss Track."

The Daily Mail wrote an article about it today which was just mind-boggling and is sure to keep riling up people to harass Faye. Anyway, go stream Trust Fund Ozu because her music is awesome.

She used to be the drummer for Thank You Scientist! she's so talented.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Every time I check this thread I'm like: "I think this is the most I will ever hate a person that has yet to face consequences for their actions".

And then I check the thread again. And here we are.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
She really wants to snip in a bit about appropriation of the holocaust............. while she's currently working on Fantastic Beasts? Huh??

"If they wanted to kill you all they would have" jesus christ that's as heinous as it is mindnumbingly idiotic

Last edited:

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
It's time to post this again

Eh9putbXcAExqmt.jpg
At this point I'd expect the far right to just say "Aren't you already one of us?"

I actually do wonder if her fanbase will start distancing from her if she keeps going farther and farther right at this rate, or are they gonna take the jump alongside her to go full-on nazi.

Last edited:

Yesterzine

Jan 5, 2022
At this point she's pretty much literally Linehan, she's bored because no-one wants to ask her to do anything because of her hateful bigotry, so she does more hateful bigotry because the bigots are the ones who'll be her friends on Twitter.

The one difference is, unlike Terfy-G, too many people make too much money from her being generally around for it to go full tilt fuck off like it's done with him. If the Potter and whatever-the-hell-man-JK writes books had been medium successes that had made her a living but not a superstar her publisher and everyone else would have dropped her like a death curse at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.