• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the original source of this image (just found it floating around social media) but if you're a fan of battle damage then it's a treat.
Looks to be Carl in his final battle damaged form.

QhQNEVE.png

I hope NECA makes a battle damaged variant of Carl. Either this or how he appears in Mortal Kombat 11.

speaking of....anybody see the TDF NECA toys out in the wild yet? They were suppose to release sometime this month.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I can say this... it was better than it had any right to be. But it was still bogged down by annoying editing and predictable sequences.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Just saw the film, it wasn't bad, but I wouldn't call it great either. I honestly liked the idea of John being killed straight of the bat, but they don't do anything special with it. The film would've been the exact same if they had kept him and just send yet another Terminator to get him a few years later in his life. Quite liked Carl and the idea of having him do something new with his life after having no more objectives, just a shame they do little with it. Dani was non offensive, just an alright character. But man, bugger Grace. She just got on my nerve, all the while I think Sarah was great as ever. Especially the moment where she thinks back of John I really liked.

Curious what they'll do with the series going forward, no matter what, a new one will happen regardless of everything.

Jan 10, 2018
Finally watched it. Wasn't bad, but it suffered from too much going on with no emotional investment.

Let the new Terminator kill John Connor and go after everyone who treatens Legion. Meanwhile focus on Cyborg lady trying to get a hold of her body, coping with the fact she can't help the others and trying to find the new leader. You would have a human macguffin, 2 warriors riddled with pain and guilt trying to go at a Terminators throat who just shakes it off.

As the story is now, the death of John has barely an impact, the new Terminator has no heat behind him and Sarah has not much of a reason to be involved. Just like Arnie.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Movie is out on 4k digital and man watching it again I love it. Such good stuff in here which would be even better if fleshed out more.

Some really interesting deleted scenes too where Carl's wife confronts Sarah and reveals she knows what Carl is and what he did to her, but that she loves him anyway. There is another one where Sarah says she won't let another child be killed by the machines, further reenforcing Dani being her new surrogate child.

Still not a fan of the airplane sequence as it's just to out there, but I really wish this movie did better so we could see more Sarah and Dani together.

The ending of them riding off down the road just like T1 is great, I love how hopeful this movie is in the end despite such a gut wrenching opening sequence.

Speaking of the opening, it looks fantastic even in 4k, dare I say it's the most impressive de aging of any film yet.

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017
I do look forward to getting to rewatch this in 4K at home. I'm waiting for my physical copy. Couple weeks left.

I saw it twice in theatres. Once at the surprise early screening at Alamo and again in one of those showings that had moving seats and mist sprayers and smellovision, which was wild. I wouldn't do it for a first viewing but it was neat for the second. The Rev-9's liquid metal smells like nail polish remover.

Oct 28, 2017
The actress playing Dani just completely killed this movie for me. That scene of her in the future as the new savior was just OOF.

Mackenzie David was fantastic though and nearly saved the whole enterprise. Carl was just bad.

Jul 18, 2018
Just saw this and it wasn't offensive like the other sequels. It played it safe and at least the action scenes were good
But idk what you can do with this franchise, it is just done in my opinion. Same type of concepts over and over again but lots of things don't make sense.

However i would be down for a TV Show that had it's focus on humans vs terminator war. I liked how the war scenes in this movie was compared to terminator salvation. I think just making a spinoff like that focused on the war itself would be entertaining at least.

dyreschlock

Oct 27, 2017
Gifu, Japan
Yeah, just watched this last night, and it wasn't really all that bad. Pretty good, in fact, until Arnold was shoved into the plot.

After I saw it, I was wondering... Is Terminator 2 the movie with the most amount of direct sequels? There's T3, Genesys, and now Dark Fate. Salvation is a sequel to T3. But, that makes 3 movies. Is there any other movie that has the same amount? Or more?

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Just watched it, yeah still only two Terminator films in my eyes. All the rest are bad.

Just either do something fresh and new with Terminator or don't at all. This was a rehash of T1/2 done badly, with fan service sprinkled in. It retcons 3-5 because they suck, and itself sucks too.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The actress playing Dani just completely killed this movie for me. That scene of her in the future as the new savior was just OOF.

Mackenzie David was fantastic though and nearly saved the whole enterprise. Carl was just bad.

Yep, Reyes didn't have the physique or presence to carry off the resistance commander persona.

First Emilia Clarke, and now Reyes cast as these battle hardened warriors — how about the casting director do their job and find someone that actually fits the role. Reyes looked ridiculous in her future scenes.

Mackenzie on the other hand was 100% on point. Luna wasn't half bad either.

The movie was ultimately disappointing, but I went in expecting that. It felt like it was put together by people trying to head in different directions but wound up ending up on the path to nowhere.

Cameron and co. seriously misstepped with killing Connor off in the opening moments of the movie — renders the characters and sacrifices of the previous movies as ultimately pointless. Carl — his character and story felt like satire.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I s'pose the problem is they're trying to get another Linda Hamilton but she's one of a kind. She was beautiful and meek in the first Terminator but really sold the transformation into a battle-hardened badass in Terminator 2 and then the weary survivor that has lost everything in Dark Fate.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's a decent action film, nothing special. They managed to shoehorn the characters in without it feeling too jarring, but the films still felt like a retread and imitation. I did like the beginning as a concept, but in execution it felt cheap. The concept of a Terminator defaulting to learning mode after a successful mission and growing a conscience was a smart idea, but it wasn't written with enough care to really feel impactful. I'd love a film based around this concept somehow. It really does feel like there's a film that could have been made along the lines of DF that could have been a truly worthy successor to TT2.

It had some very good aspects. Some of the fight sequences were well choreographed and I really liked Grace.

Dani's transformation was not sold. As Winny(๑•̀ㅂ•́)و says above, Linda's transformation was mesmerizing and this just felt so undercooked in comparison. Sarah Conner and Ellen Ripley remain the gold standard here, and I don' understand the casting choice for Dani at all as it was clear from the start she wouldn't carry this.

It's better than every other post 2 film, but I still found myself distracted and having to force myself back into the moment a few times.

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, Reyes didn't have the physique or presence to carry off the resistance commander persona.

First Emilia Clarke, and now Reyes cast as these battle hardened warriors — how about the casting director do their job and find someone that actually fits the role. Reyes looked ridiculous in her future scenes.

Mackenzie on the other hand was 100% on point. Luna wasn't half bad either.

The movie was ultimately disappointing, but I went in expecting that. It felt like it was put together by people trying to head in different directions but wound up ending up on the path to nowhere.

Cameron and co. seriously misstepped with killing Connor off in the opening moments of the movie — renders the characters and sacrifices of the previous movies as ultimately pointless. Carl — his character and story felt like satire.
I don't know I'd say their sacrifices were pointless, they saved 3 billion human lives and held off the apocalypse for nearly 40 years, and Sarah is still once again the mother of the resistance via Dani.

The cut future scene has a very different looking and acting Dani too, don't know what they didn't have her continue that instead of the one we saw in the film.

Fezan

Oct 26, 2017
Just Watched it today. I don't know how can so many people dislike this movie. It was a really good action movie especially compared to meh superheroes action we get nowadays. It's a solid 7/10 movie.

Really liked the action especially the plane scene. Most of the time action had weight to it. yes, most of the setpieces are repeated from old movies but they were executed perfectly. Unfortunately, the leads were really boring especially Dina who can't act and the movie falls apart as soon as the future scene comes on screen. It would have been much better if they cut out the future scenes completely.

I am shocked how much Tim miller is a good action director with only two feature films to his credits. Hope to see some other stuff from him soon

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked it...

Felt kind of disposable, but it's miles better than the last 2 movies.

Yeah, just watched this last night, and it wasn't really all that bad. Pretty good, in fact, until Arnold was shoved into the plot.

After I saw it, I was wondering... Is Terminator 2 the movie with the most amount of direct sequels? There's T3, Genesys, and now Dark Fate. Salvation is a sequel to T3. But, that makes 3 movies. Is there any other movie that has the same amount? Or more?

Halloween

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
Well it sure...existed. It's not as horribly made as Genisys, but it's pretty much just a remake of Terminator 2 (with some Terminator 1 thrown in), in that Force Awakens way with the names crossed out and new ones written in (Skynet Legion sends a Model 101 Rev-9 back in time to stop John Dani the future leader of the resistance), 80% of scenes are redoes of some equivalent in the first two films. Perhaps in a world where 3, Salvation and especially Genisys hadn't happened and this was the first new Terminator in decades it might get away with it more, but it isn't.
Very forgettable.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I was wondering if anyone else was noticing the new Terminator was basically using white privilege to help get past some of the security.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
Hamilton and Reyes trying to dial up girl power to 11 was so cringe. In contrast Davis was thoroughly enjoyable.

LilWayneSuckz

Oct 25, 2017
I hated Linda Hamilton in this movie, the way they brought back Arnold was so ridiculous I couldn't take anything he did seriously after his continued existence was explained on-screen. The visual effects outside of the de-aging were pretty bad IMO.

The actress who played the cybernetically enhanced resistance fighter was good, and the action sequences were shot well.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why it's so hard for the writers to simply have Arnold play the human the T-800 is modeled after.

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why it's so hard for the writers to simply have Arnold play the human the T-800 is modeled after.
If they were to make a sequel to Dark Fate I imagine this is the only way they could have possibly managed to squeeze Arnold into the movie. Skynet doesn't exist anymore and the last T-800 died. The only role even left for him to play would be the human template. So it probably would have happened if DF had made more money.

But it's probably better that it ends here anyway. I am content with this as an ending.
(Though I'd be tempted back if someone wanted to forgo the expensive action and make a full-horror terminator movie again)

Last edited:

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This movie was just another Genysis to me.

It was definitely just as dumb. So little about what goes on makes any sense.

And Dani is just such bad casting. How can anyone take her seriously in that future scene? She looks like a 12 year-old girl. Not that any other actress would've made the movie any better frankly.

Distractingly awful CGI too, so much (ab)use of digital doubles.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
It's the best T2 sequel released after well T2.

Yea Dani was miscasted. I was thinking about on my way home. I like how she is a "normal civilian" I guess they were trying to be like kid john. But like she never seems like the person the become a leader.

Also the future scene is really bad. After it doesn't help that she looks the same just with some military gear. Like ok no scars, grey hair, mechanical arm from battle??? Something that tells me she's been through war and hell. I thought she was more interesting when she was hurt and on the stretcher. Like what happened to her and her team? We def needed a bit of the future stuff but not what we got.

Makenzie was on fire though. She was great.

The best part I think if I must really think about it is when sarah is with makenzie inthe woods talking about john. It was a very touching moment that was very believable.

Oct 28, 2017
It was definitely just as dumb. So little about what goes on makes any sense.

And Dani is just such bad casting. How can anyone take her seriously in that future scene? She looks like a 12 year-old girl. Not that any other actress would've made the movie any better frankly.

Distractingly awful CGI too, so much (ab)use of digital doubles.
It really was unbelievable that they cast her for that part. Like what on earth were they thinking

Oct 31, 2017
Once again this was supposed to be the start of another trilogy, but this movie has no heart whatsoever. Can't agree with those saying it's a fitting end, it's more like a nail in the coffin for the franchise. I can't believe James Cameron was attached to this.

grendelrt

Oct 25, 2017
After watching this, Marvel or DC needs to be calling up Mackenzie David stat for a super hero role. She was badass.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Just rented it. About 15 mins in and it's not exactly making me optimistic. The interaction with the couple at the beginning is totally pointless and why does it switch between spanish and English lol

Oct 28, 2017
I liked it. This seems like the most back-handed compliment, this was definitely the best sequel since two.

Also it never dawned on me how fucked up it was that they were going to kill a kid in T2 (John) until they actually shot him in this movie.