• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
I just think the action should be more grounded. I knew going into this they would try and outdo themselves in terms of stunts and the flying shit just becomes so off the rails unbelievable it just detracts from the whole thing. People love this franchise for the characters and they spent over two hours barely digging into Sarah, Arnold or any of the new comers.

overall I was happy with the film but it could have been so much more. And now the franchise is dead :(

NSA

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not great, not terrible.

Saw it with some friends tonight and we all though it was entertaining, just nothing special.

Most of it falls apart if you stop to think about any of it too hard, which is a shame, but Arnie and Linda were both generally good.

I do like where it leaves the franchise now, as you can do whatever you want without needing Arnold or really any other links to the old stuff if they want to do more in the Dark Fate universe.

I do think there was a case of 'too much' here.. Which a lot of movies, especially sequels fall victim to. T1 was basically all in LA City, T2 was in Los Angeles County (roughly), and now this.. Different states and countries and.. Just too much.

I would have appreciated them explaining a little more how the hell the Rev9 and Grace got sent back in time too. Seems like the circumstances would have been way different than T1/T2.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How did they go from a cool name like "Skynet" to a generic sounding sci-fi name like "Legion"? The movie deserved to flop for that kind of fail alone.

Terrible terrible writing.
Legion is Bible-inspired like some other names in the series: Judgment Day, J(ohn) C(onnor), Rev(elation) 9, etc.

Sarah, Kyle and John are basically Mary, Gabriel and Jesus.

Scullibundo

Oct 25, 2017
"If you have a story that lends itself to a continuation, that should kind of be there in it," director Tim Miller told Gizmodo. "It was in T2, even if you didn't recognise it. I don't think it was [James Cameron's] intention to put it there but he really did leave an open-ended story because Sarah says, 'I don't know what the future holds.'"

lol what a stupid fucking thing to say.

I can't wait for Tim Miller to write a sequel to The Count of Monte Cristo.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think what would worked better would've been to change Act III to something where they go into the future and have to carry out some kind of infiltration mission or something to give the movie something new.

The first half of the movie is solid, but the resolution is gonna be the same thing, some kind of action set piece that culminates in some kind of factory battle where the Terminator is killed.

They could've done The Force Awakens thing for the 1st half of the movie and then flipped the script for the second half I think.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Legion is Bible-inspired like some other names in the series: Judgment Day, J(ohn) C(onnor), Rev(elation) 9, etc.

Sarah, Kyle and John are basically Mary, Gabriel and Jesus.
I know this but the name has been overused in many movies and TV shows at this point, they should have avoided using it. It sounds generic AF compared to Skynet.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think what would worked better would've been to change Act III to something where they go into the future and have to carry out some kind of infiltration mission or something to give the movie something new.

The first half of the movie is solid, but the resolution is gonna be the same thing, some kind of action set piece that culminates in some kind of factory battle where the Terminator is killed.

They could've done The Force Awakens thing for the 1st half of the movie and then flipped the script for the second half I think.

They did that in Genisys and IMO that was the worst part of that movie.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Amen.

Literally no character development AT ALL the storylines in terminator one and two were amazing and I thought seeing Linda back they would continue the actual story....what in the fuck did i watch?

Awful. The only time I ever got that vibe is when I saw her and John...why do that? What was the point?

Ugh

The ramifications of John's death and how that impacted Sarah.
John's death allowed the T-800 to become fully humanized.
Dani grows into a more confident individual.

They did continue the actual story, and there was character development.

ChristopherDX

Banned
May 8, 2018
The whole Carl's family arc made me think of this scene from T2:

Why couldn't we have scenes written like this? This is what I'm talking about what lacked this whole movie...character, plot, meaningful dialogue.

Also no one cares John was replaced with a woman for those posts I've scene...it's killing an important character cheaply and without regard.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the incredible writing and acting from the Linda Hamilton interview from T2 to open the movie just made it more jarring how much less engaging the new film is in comparison. It was kind of a weird opening because it really didn't bear any meaning to the rest of the film.

Last edited:

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Arnold was the only highlight to the whole movie. The actress that played Dani was so terrible. She got a bit better near the end but overall she killed any scene she was in for me. Action was over the top but not in a good way. Scenes lacked real impact and weight. T2 still is the king where both Terminators felt like unstoppable forces not marvel superheroes

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly T2 needing a sequel to me is more because of how technology has progressed in the last 30 years. We are seeing the rise of automation and machines in a way that I feel like Dark Fate perfectly played upon for how an AI would come about nowadays.

Oct 28, 2017
Arnold was the only highlight to the whole movie. The actress that played Dani was so terrible. She got a bit better near the end but overall she killed any scene she was in for me. Action was over the top but not in a good way. Scenes lacked real impact and weight. T2 still is the king where both Terminators felt like unstoppable forces not marvel superheroes
Yep. Once they positioned her into the savior role, her character just completely ruined the movie for me. Totally not believable as the leader of humanity. No charisma, bad actor. The scene of her in the future was complete garbage. Movie would have been better if Grace was the lead or if it was just seen from Carl's perspective and his growth from killer cyborg to "human" after killing John.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly T2 needing a sequel to me is more because of how technology has progressed in the last 30 years. We are seeing the rise of automation and machines in a way that I feel like Dark Fate perfectly played upon for how an AI would come about nowadays.

A new Terminator movie doesn't have to be a sequel to the storyline that concluded in T2. It doesn't need to involve John Connor, Sarah Connor or the Arnold Schwarzenegger T-800. It doesn't even need to be about preventing Skynet from existing.

fundogmo

Oct 25, 2017
Any links to Cameron's comments?
You can find them here -- Cameron Compares working on Dark Fate with Alita

Choice quote:

I would say many. And the blood is still being scrubbed off the walls from those creative battles. This is a film that was forged in fire. So yeah, but that's the creative process, right? I mean, my work with Robert on Alita was very different. Robert loved the script, loved everything, said, 'I just want to make this movie. I want to make the movie the way you see it.' I was like, 'No, you got to make it your movie.' I had the reverse experience with Tim, which is Tim wanted to make it his movie. And I'm like, 'Yeah, but I kind of know a little about this world.' So I had the matter and the anti-matter version of that producorial experience.

REALLY interested to see what some of those battles were waged over, but I think I'm inclined to side with Cameron over Miller any day of the week.

FlashbladeERA

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the movie this past Monday..... Maybe this has been mentioned or answered in this thread....

....Why is Skynet sending Terminators to dates way after Judgment Day?

Sarah has been hunting Terminators (lost thru time) by killing them when they appear thanks to "Carl's" texts.

But why are they sending them to dates when he would be much older and closer to his prime?
Why send them when Terminators should already be created? Especially with how old Sarah is.

I could have sworn she said she took out one 2 years prior to meeting Dani and Grace.

Maybe I missed something or am imagining things.

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
Watched it last night, did not like it, it was OK/mediocre at best. Currently I would probably rate it a 5.5/10, but I'm disliking it more the more I think about it.

The acting and writing was really poor, especially for Dani's character, and the whole movie is just an extremely pointless retread of T2.

I expected more with Tim Miller at the helm and Cameron producing. Though the fact that Goyer was writing should've sounded some alarm bells in my head considering the man is a pretty shitty writer outside of the Dark Knight series.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
According to this movie, would every terminator sent back in time naturally grow a conscience and hate Skynet if they were successful? Like would the T-1000 become a charity worker if enough time passed after killing John? Would the O.G T-800 join the fire brigade if he was successful in killing Reese and Connor?

Kinda,

If i remember correctly, a deleted scene in T2 explains that Skynet has the chips of the T-800s in read only on purpose in order to avoid for developing their own "conscience".

In this movie, with Skynet gone and with no more locks the T-800 was able to start undertanding the human condition. Same as the T-800 in T2.

Oct 26, 2017
Watched the movie this past Monday..... Maybe this has been mentioned or answered in this thread....

Sarah has been hunting Terminators (lost thru time) by killing them when they appear thanks to "Carl's" texts.

But why are they sending them to dates when he would be much older and closer to his prime?
Why send them when Terminators should already be created? Especially with how old Sarah is.

I could have sworn she said she took out one 2 years prior to meeting Dani and Grace.

Why not send them to dates after judgment day was supposed to happen? As long as Connor is dead before he leads the resistance to victory then Skynet's accomplished what it needed to, there's no reason it arbitrarily had to happen before Judgment Day.

I wonder if this somehow gets a sequel or becomes a series of films, if Kyle Reese will get involved. That was a really sweet part of SCC, seeing Kyle Reese and his brother playing as kids.

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017

Skynet still wants John dead after Judgment Day. Pretty much any time before Skynet's defeat is a good time for intervention, though obviously this wouldn't be as helpful near the end of the war when the 800 is already developed and the resistance has learned to deal with them.

Timeline scattershot approach. One before he was born (T1). One while he was preadolescent (T1000). Another just after judgment day while humanity is scrambling in the dirt and John is still only 13 (Carl). Maybe another a couple years later before he's assumed leadership (16yrs? 17?). Another while the resistance is still young (maybe 21ish in 2006?). Still many years to go before 800s actually exist, the resistance is unprepared.

It's not until 2029 that John and the resistance actually manage to defeat Skynet, so anything that kills John before then will do the trick. There's a lot of war there between 1997 and 2029. 32 years of it, and the 800 wasn't developed until the later end. And there was literally only one prototype 1000 that Skynet sent to what it must have deemed was the most crucial attempt (1995).

But whoops, that future wasn't there anymore, so Carl arrived into a functioning society that Skynet didn't expect to be there and he integrated. The rest were then mopped up by Sarah with Carl's tips.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Skynet still wants John dead after Judgment Day. Pretty much any time before Skynet's defeat is a good time for intervention, though obviously this wouldn't be as helpful near the end of the war when the 800 is already developed and the resistance has learned to deal with them.

Timeline scattershot approach. One before he was born (T1). One while he was preadolescent (T1000). Another just after judgment day while humanity is scrambling in the dirt and John is still only 13 (Carl). Maybe another a couple years later before he's assumed leadership (16yrs? 17?). Another while the resistance is still young (maybe 21ish in 2006?). Still many years to go before 800s actually exist, the resistance is unprepared.

It's not until 2029 that John and the resistance actually manage to defeat Skynet, so anything that kills John before then will do the trick. There's a lot of war there between 1997 and 2029. 32 years of it, and the 800 wasn't developed until the later end. And there was literally only one prototype 1000 that Skynet sent to what it must have deemed was the most crucial attempt (1995).

But whoops, that future wasn't there anymore, so Carl arrived into a functioning society that Skynet didn't expect to be there and he integrated. The rest were then mopped up by Sarah with Carl's tips.

When Carl arrived to 1998 and took a look around, I'd like to imagine this was his initial reaction
giphy.gif

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't skynet send more than one terminator at a single point in time? To send out a scattershot across time is woefully inefficient compared to sending multiple all at once. In addition, to send out multiple with the only directive being kill John and nothing else is also inefficient. Like why not put a 2nd directive to ensure skynet comes to fruition given any deviations in the timeline?

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't skynet send more than one terminator at a single point in time? To send out a scattershot across time is woefully inefficient compared to sending multiple all at once.

Why wouldn't Skynet send 45 terminators to John Connor's school play? How did Skynet even start production of terminators before terminators existed to build the factories that built them? Why wouldn't Skynet just send 17 nukes back and blow them all up around Dani/John instead? Why even have robots when you can just launch chemical attacks that will be more effective and way easier to produce with existing technology? Why even make any Terminator movies?

Once you start asking these sorts of questions, the entire series falls apart. T1 falls apart. T2 falls apart. DF falls apart. The answer is: Because then the movie doesnt happen, and this is way more fun.

Oct 28, 2017
Why wouldn't skynet send more than one terminator at a single point in time? To send out a scattershot across time is woefully inefficient compared to sending multiple all at once. In addition, to send out multiple with the only directive being kill John and nothing else is also inefficient. Like why not put a 2nd directive to ensure skynet comes to fruition given any deviations in the timeline?

You might argue it's because of the butterfly effect. The more of an impact on the future Skynet has the more it risks creating an unpredictable future. Target one variable at a time. But then again the Terminators are a blundt instrument and not exactly surgical in how they carry out their mission. All the Terminators caused a lot of collateral damage. But I'm sure these variables are considered by Skynet before sending them back and deemed inconsequential.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think in the comics a Terminator got sent to the time of the dinosaurs and got stomped on by a T-Rex..

Anyhow, SkyNet with all its capabilities isn't that smart either. The single reason it comes to not exist is because it sent a Terminator back in time to skill Sarah. TDE was a last ditch effort and [someone correct me if I'm wrong] it was purely experimental technology.

The only time we see the TDE being used is in Genisys [I haven't watched SCC so I dunno if they explore that].
I guess you can assume that they could only send a single unit at a time? I dunno. Pops creates a machine that can send people forward in time, and Sarah/Kyle really lucked out because in the original script for T1 Kyle comes back with another dude and that dude gets fused with a fire escape.

If you want something to blame with how time travel works in this series, start at T2 because that's where all the time travel shenanigans begins.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't Skynet send 45 terminators to John Connor's school play? How did Skynet even start production of terminators before terminators existed to build the factories that built them? Why wouldn't Skynet just send 17 nukes back and blow them all up around Dani/John instead? Why even have robots when you can just launch chemical attacks that will be more effective and way easier to produce with existing technology? Why even make any Terminator movies?

Once you start asking these sorts of questions, the entire series falls apart. T1 falls apart. T2 falls apart. DF falls apart. The answer is: Because then the movie doesnt happen, and this is way more fun.

Make sure they're wrapped in flesh, only organic life can go through =P

I really wished they showed the Rev-9 coming through in a flesh sack and then breaking out of it.

edit: maybe Legion figured out a way to send a machine back without needing one. Sorry I'm digging deep in Terminator lore, I know original plans for the T-1000 was to have it come back in some fleshy cocoon.

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017
Make sure they're wrapped in flesh, only organic life can go through =P

I really wished they showed the Rev-9 coming through in a flesh sack and then breaking out of it.

edit: maybe Legion figured out a way to send a machine back without needing one. Sorry I'm digging deep in Terminator lore, I know original plans for the T-1000 was to have it come back in some fleshy cocoon.

Either Legion's method of time travel doesn't have the same limitation, or liquid metal manages to pass the requirement, which explains the 1000 also. Flesh sack has been the assumption but never ended up on-screen. Maybe liquid metal and those magnetic fields get along better than typical materials. It's not something I feel really needs to be answered but it is a curiosity that's fun to think about.

Oct 28, 2017
I felt like the 2 in 1, double changer Transformer felt too derivative. It's kind of how horror and action movies go to space after 5 sequels. Or how Predator went with a super duper hybrid Predator. It felt kind of ridiculous. God this franchise needed a rest.

The T1000 was cool enough but were in a game of one upmanship now. I cant imagine where it would have gone next.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Okay, and? Its still poor writing and justification for Carl's existence. And this is just a poor defense for it.

1) John wasn't a regular school going kid and prior to the internet I doubt finding that information would be easy as hell. But thanks for justifying why a scattershot is poor writing.
2)The hell are you talking about? Skynet still had access to other military tools and could most likely use other technology to eventually build factories.
3)Unless nukes are organic they aren't doing shit also who tf is Dani to them? And I'm assuming either a)collateral damage or b)they don't know exactly where John is.
4)Again organic shit only.
5)Because they're decent films when they have good writing backing them.

Additionally, all these decisions in T1 & T2 can both be justified with Cameron's original idea that skynet was trying to repent for killing billions of people.

You might argue it's because of the butterfly effect. The more of an impact on the future Skynet has the more it risks creating an unpredictable future. Target one variable at a time. But then again the Terminators are a blundt instrument and not exactly surgical in how they carry out their mission. All the Terminators caused a lot of collateral damage. But I'm sure these variables are considered by Skynet before sending them back and deemed inconsequential.

Yeah it really doesn't seem like Skynet gives a fuck about collateral damage. How many Sarah connors died before ours was found? Like 3? I doubt having a second directive set on ensuring skynet's birth would cause any more butterfly effect than killing the leader of the resistance or any random passerby

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is why I feel like the movie is very much a retread of Terminator 3. Because we see the skynet/legion AI evolve in that film to a human killing AI.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Yep. Once they positioned her into the savior role, her character just completely ruined the movie for me. Totally not believable as the leader of humanity. No charisma, bad actor. The scene of her in the future was complete garbage. Movie would have been better if Grace was the lead or if it was just seen from Carl's perspective and his growth from killer cyborg to "human" after killing John.

Totally agree. There were several scenes in the first half of the film where her line delivery was just bad. I can't remember the last time I watched a movie and noticed the acting as being so bad it took me out of the movie. On top of the acting she was just a badly written character. The one flashback where they are trying to take her corn husk of a body into the rebel base is the only one that was somewhat interesting just because the machines seemed genuinely terrifying kind of like how the aliens were done in Edge of Tomorrow. Arnold was great and Connor has some good scenes. Total waste of a film though and I expected so much better from Miller

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They did that in Genisys and IMO that was the worst part of that movie.

Yeah but granted that film did almost everything wrong in execution. Just feel like there needed to be something that shakes up the formula for the second half of the film.

The first half did the whole "being chased by a Terminator!" thing pretty well.

Even T2, it really kinda changed the formula by making the story take a left turn and now it's about Sarah Connor going to kill Miles Dyson and trying to infiltrate Cyberdyne before finishing with the "showdown in a factory" bit.

RealCanadianBro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cameron's original idea that SkyNet was trying to repent for killing billions of people is shot out a glass window when the AI goes and sends an experimental super Terminator to kill young John. Lol.

UltraMagnus I getcha. Maybe if Genisys took its self more seriously instead of once again mocking the characters it was portraying, going to the future could have been something more grand. Maybe by accident they over shoot and Judgement day happened and SHOCK TWIST Pops is the leader of the human resistance and John is puppeting SkyNet!

DUH DUH DUH! At least were back in the future with dark skies and purple beam shooting plasma rifles.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I honestly thought "Jon Connor (Edward Furlong) from a parallel time line" or something was going to happen later on in the movie.

OP
OP
VorpalNonsense
Oct 25, 2017
Why did his name have to be Carl, though?
Because the last movie in the (canon) series had Bob, and John was already taken.
I guess he might have gone with Joe or Ed instead. Larry?
It's just another very generic working class name for a man that literally came off a production line. The sort of name an infiltration robot might choose with no regard for taste.

I honestly thought "Jon Connor (Edward Furlong) from a parallel time line" or something was going to happen later on in the movie.
I was kinda expecting the same thing. If a Carl can arrive from that previous future, so could a middle aged General John Connor.

Okay, and? Its still poor writing and justification for Carl's existence. And this is just a poor defense for it.

1) John wasn't a regular school going kid and prior to the internet I doubt finding that information would be easy as hell. But thanks for justifying why a scattershot is poor writing.
2)The hell are you talking about? Skynet still had access to other military tools and could most likely use other technology to eventually build factories.
3)Unless nukes are organic they aren't doing shit also who tf is Dani to them? And I'm assuming either a)collateral damage or b)they don't know exactly where John is.
4)Again organic shit only.
5)Because they're decent films when they have good writing backing them.

Additionally, all these decisions in T1 & T2 can both be justified with Cameron's original idea that skynet was trying to repent for killing billions of people.

Yeah it really doesn't seem like Skynet gives a fuck about collateral damage. How many Sarah connors died before ours was found? Like 3? I doubt having a second directive set on ensuring skynet's birth would cause any more butterfly effect than killing the leader of the resistance or any random passerby

1. Why was the T1000 sent to 95 instead of 84 to team up with the 800? Whoops, scattershot is already a thing in T1 & T2... but apparently when they do it it's good and when DF does it, it's bad writing. It's the same thing. It's a fun writer's conceit that allows the movie to exist. T2 wouldn't exist without it.
2. All the Roombas in the world can't build a factory no matter how hard they try. A production line is hardly useful outside of what it is designed to build and is hand supplied with materials from outside locations. Not even a 3D printer can build a fully functioning robot in one go, and those hardly even existed in 1997. Skynet had no hands. It's just an off the cuff example of another "plot hole" that's better left ignored like the others you brought up. Terminator is full of them.
3. How did the 1000 get through then? (Or put the nuke inside an 800, and it will walk itself to the target!)
4. How did the 1000 get through then? (Or put the chemicals inside a flesh sack and pop it!)
5. They clearly are getting passes for the same sins you're damning DF for.
Repentance: That always has been a stupid idea that makes no sense within the narrative and is clearly just a concept he rolled around in his head for a while and never brought to fruition for a reason.

They're valid points if you're running the CinemaSins channel but pretending like they apply only to DF and not to T1 & T2 as well is obviously motivated. If you wanna criticize the whole series go ahead but don't pretend like this shit only applies to Dark Fate. Dark Fate has plenty of flaws of its own that make it lesser than T1&T2 if you wanna pick on it specifically, but these aint it.

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I remember before the film was released there was a rumor that John didn't die but only faked his death, because the condition for Skynet to cease to exist isn't John's death but John's non-involvement in the Future War. A scene at the end of the movie would have revealed that John is living off the grid and that not even Sarah knows he's alive.

Oct 26, 2017
I always wondered about how Skynet made the first robots. Up until T3 said humans made the prototypes shortly before Judgment Day (and I guess now that film no longer exists in this continuity) I kind of imagined messages popping up on screens in factories as the first nukes were flying saying 'Hi, I'm the AI launching nukes, build me the stuff in these instructions or this location's next'.

I mean we know from way back in T1 that Skynet ran work/extermination camps.

Deleted member 6173

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now that I think about it a little more it would have been nice to have seen an animatrix style story which tells the story of the robot uprising within the terminator universe. Like how the AI system in the world would have advanced human knowledge to the point where they had the plasma rifles and all that stuff.

It always just seems to be a situation where we're in a contemporary setting and then bang 10 years later the humans have plasma rifles and jets that defy gravity.