• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
EDIT : US Twitter impressions are in, see threadmark !

This is a non-spoiler thread, if you want to talk spoilers, you can go to the OT.

Since the movie is coming out soon in UK, France and others country, and reviews are coming in, I figured it's time for a review thread.

Lexpress
"Dark Fate" is a an excellent action movie and a good "Terminator". You'll come satisfied and with a bit of regret. The horrible trailers doesn't reflect this intense chase.
Mackenzie Davis is excellent. Schwarzenneger character treatment works well. Sarah Connor has a couple of moving since but also a couple of dumb lines. And the antagonist is finally smart, despite some uneven special effects at times.

Filmsactu 8/10
After several missteps, the Terminator franchise is finally back in track and it feels great ! Dark Fate is by far the best entry since T2 and we finally have a "real" Terminator 3. Even if the movie isn't a technical marvel as Terminator 2 was when it came out, showing the limits of Tim Millers capabilities as a director, the story, the cast and the innovations finally gives us something we dreamed for 30 years : A sequel to Terminator 2 that does not shame its illustrious predecessor and resurrect in the best way a franchise we thought dead.

CloneWeb
We would have liked Dark Fate to take more risks than to copy his model, give up the digital to return to real special effects and loosen his teeth (the film is very serious until the arrival of Scharwzenegger, who helps blow some steam). Nevertheless, in these times of scarcity for action lovers this year (what do we really remember apart from John Wick and Gemini Man?), This Terminator is a pleasant surprise

SmallThings
The film surprises with an astonishing sobriety. We forget the comical Terminator 3, the "Manly and Stupid" Salvation and the CGI-fest Genysis for a return to what Terminator 2 had offered us: a brutal actioner that does not raise too much questions.

CinemaTeaser 2/5
An extremely standardized nature that buries it, as the film seems even unable to shift TERMINATOR 2 with the same spirit as TERMINATOR 3 or propose any new image as SALVATION did. A shipwreck? Not quite: Arnold Schwarzenegger delivers a few moments of great melancholy, distant but touching echoes of TERMINATOR 2. Above all, if this DARK FATE does not collapse on itself after a few sequences, it owes it entirely to Mackenzie Davis, the formidable actress who, in the role of Grace, delivers a captivating performance from start to finish, in action as in emotion. A heroine as we see few, camped by one of the most interesting contemporary actresses. DARK FATE does not deserve either.

Zickma 6.9/10
Despite the shortcomings of writing and Gabriel Luna, it remains a superior entertainment to the last two films with the pleasure of seeing Linda Hamilton again and good promises for a new trilogy (if successful) thanks to Natalia Reyes who plays pretty well.

UnificationFrance 5/5
With a tribute-remake-sequel scenario made of the first two parts, actors in great shape, an effective direction and special effects, the pleasure of Terminator is really intact and the film is certainly one of my very great favorites of the year.

Beautiful and exciting.

LeBlogDuCinema
Without touching the excellence of the beginnings, Dark Fate reinvigorates a saga that had lost itself, like a gift offered to the nostalgic spectators of the first two films, not pretending to be taken for something other than what it is : a generous and highly entertaining action movie..

I'll be updating when more reviews start to roll out.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9317

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
JubilantFilthyIsabellinewheatear-size_restricted.gif

It's time.

Apr 19, 2018
Will be watching this thread with bated breath. Please, please, please be good this time around. =/

Last edited:

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm going to hold out on eating crow until I see more reviews with better sources than ClownWeb.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The anthem of hope.

Still stoked that Josh Friedman co-wrote the movie. I'm really pulling for it to be great.

Nov 30, 2018
Never heard of these places

but I'll be surprised if they figured out a way to make a completely original movie that's good

OP
OP
CaptainKashup

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
A couple of French magazine are apparently praising the movie but I don't have access to those, sadly.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting the first review acknowledges the terrible trailers

They have looked like a Genisys redux almost.

I may check it out but not opening night

DIE BART DIE

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of us don't want a sequel to Terminator 2. We want a lo-fi cyberhorror indie that feels like The Terminator.

Deleted member 56580

User requested account closure
Banned
May 8, 2019
The trailers looked cool and Tim is a good director who knows his action schtick. Tbh I think he did handle Deadpool much better in action than Leitch in the 2nd opus. Further down the line, Leitch also delivered the beyond boring Hobbs & Shaw so yeah I'm very glad these reviews are cementing this point of view

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Too early to tell how this is going to turn out.

Has there really been any good films, tv shows, games, etc.. that have been able to craft stories around characters past their prime in ways that don't diminish their legacy, or unintentionally reduce them into comedic satire like Indiana Jones 4? I can only think of The Force Awakens, Gears of War 4, and perhaps Toy Story 3 or 4.

Do they have a plausible reason why the Terminator has aged like a human in this film?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Still a little bit early, yeah. I feel like you could take a handful of reviews of either of the post T2 movies and spin it to be a "worthy" successor to T2.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Too early to tell how this is going to turn out.

Has there really been any good films, tv shows, games, etc.. that have been able to craft stories around characters past their prime in ways that don't diminish their legacy, or unintentionally reduce them into comedic satire like Indiana Jones 4? I can only think of The Force Awakens, Gears of War 4, and perhaps Toy Story 3 or 4.

Do they have a plausible reason why the Terminator has aged like a human in this film?
Terminator Genisys went over this, I think. It's because the skin layer is organic. So it ages like any living thing.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Okay, if other reviews are in the same place, this isn't another disaster Terminator. I can live with an "okay" to "good" one. I'm gonna see it and hopefully I'll like it.

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
i've oddly been holding out hope for this one, despite not being particularly attached to the series. there were glimpses of something pretty decent in some of the trailers and footage, especially the brief moments of one on one terminator fights.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terminator Genisys went over this, I think. It's because the skin layer is organic. So it ages like any living thing.
The skin being organic was a thing in the original T1. Even in a deleted scene in T2 when Sarah tends to the T-800's bullet wounds she asks if these wounds will heal and he says yes.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Could... Could this actually be a decent Terminator movie not directed by James Cameron?

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I am not familiar with any of these outlets

I am surprised they are screening it early

there's always that first batch of reviews that are mostly positive. gotta wait for the horde of reviews to drop before we know if this is another turd.

A lot of us don't want a sequel to Terminator 2. We want a lo-fi cyberhorror indie that feels like The Terminator.

yup thats what i want too. it seems they're too set on out doing the action scenes of previous movies and forgetting everything that made the first two great along the way.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Tbh I just need this to be at least a 7/10 level of good.

That's all I'm asking for. I know the last three films have missed that bar by a long shot, but pleaaaaaaaaaaaaseeee give me this.

SArcher

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I want to know if Furlong has a decent amount of screen time.