• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is superior?

• Robocop

Votes: 86 43.4%
  • Terminator

Votes: 112 56.6%

• Total voters

Deathman

Oct 25, 2017
robocop-shooting-range.jpg

Forever and always my favorite film of all time

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It is not even a contest imo. Terminator is a much much better movie. Better acting, better direction, better Action etc.. It is lean machine. One of the greatest thrillers / sci fi horror movies of all time.

Robocop is just a fun movie but that's about it.
you should revisit Robocop. it's brilliant satire and categorically better acted than Terminator.

Oct 27, 2017
I saw RoboCop and Poltergeist 2 at a drive-in as a child and I had no idea what the hell was going on but, to this day, it's the closest thing to a religious experience I've ever had. It helped form who I'd become.

I adore Terminator 1. It's an amazing film to this very day. I won't speak ill of it. I think RoboCop had more to say, as has been said. It was the perfect satire of its era.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
(I know, avatar quote)

RoboCop is a better movie than The Terminator in my opinion. It's more entertaining, better written, and as a little more spice to it than the original Terminator does. Additionally I think the original RoboCop has aged better. That being said Terminator 1 is still a GOAT tier movie.

RoboCop 1 > Terminator 1
Terminator 2 > RoboCop 2*

Both franchises should have stopped after their second movies and called it a day. Oh, and by the way, in a heads-up fight RoboCop would kick the shit out of a Terminator.

* RoboCop 2 is still awesome and gets a lot of unearned flack thrown its way.

hotcyder

Oct 28, 2017
Robocop. It's more entertaining and more thought-provoking. Terminator's Dread makes it but Robocop has so much more to it.

But Robocop is one of my favourite films so hey might be biased.

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I really can't choose, I love them both so much.

That's okay though, since they are both really totally different.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
Terminator because I liked that the 1st one felt like a Horror film a bit, this unstoppable killing machine chasing after what seemed a helpless victim at first, she later became Kick-Ass which was awesome. I also like the Time-Travelling aspect

Robocop is great in its own right
I just prefer Terminator

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Even Robocop 3 had social commentary.

Robocop 3 assumed that the Japanese would take control and threaten the American economy. It was quite poignant but it proved wrong due to China.

Terminator was fine as an action movie, including characters and atmosphere but mediocre in plot, the sequels even more so with all this time travelling. At least make it like in Back to the Future.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even Robocop 3 had social commentary.

Robocop 3 assumed that the Japanese would take control and threaten the American economy. It was quite poignant but it proved wrong due to China.

Ehhhh... That felt like they were just piggy backing off of every sci-fi future dystopia at the time.

Also fuck Robocop 3... Except the scene were he drives the pimp car. That redeems that piece of shit a little.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
Robocop is way ahead of it. Shit is mastercrafted. Terminator is a great scifi fim. Robocop is one of those that exceed it's place.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terminator 2 is a better movie but given the option of rewatching that or Robocop, Ill pick Robocop every time.

The Tigers are playing...*hits desk*...Tonight!

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
The first robocop is the best movie over terminator 2

Rest of the robocops are bad

Original terminator is worse than 2

And this is coming from someone who adores terminator 2 judgement day

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm not going to write out the huge spiel I did when this question was last asked but will still try to give context.

The answer is Robocop.

Terminator is a really well made film but all that really means is its a well made slasher with sci-fi trappings instead of the husual horror ones. Plus I feel most people's love and nostalgia for terminator is based off the second much superior actual sci-fi film.

Robocop on the other hand whether on purpose or accident says a lot with so many disparate elements that have pretty much combined it into one of the more important films of the 80's that actually still can apply very well if not more now.

I actually like the concepts and characters and all the surrounding things and franchise as a whole of terminator movies, but Robocop is a landmark important film, terminator only is because of what it led to.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
No way I could ever choose - they're both masterpieces, Robocop with a perfect version of Verhoeven tongue in cheek scifi cool and Terminator with way-before-its-time AI dread and one of the cinema's great "creature" designs. They also reflect touchstones in what is increasingly looking like it will remain cinema's greatest action era.

Terminator is certainly the best Terminator film tho, take that to the bank.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Shit this is tough.
I tend to prefer Verhoeven to Cameron but they're both great obviously.

Robocop's gleefuly anarchic ultra-violence is still hilarious today but I think I prefer Terminator by a hair. My second favorite Cameron film after Aliens. And his only two true masterpieces in my opinion. Terminator is just a perfectly executed and very earnest b-movie. Robocop couldn't be more different, honestly.

The true power ranking:
Flesh + Blood > Aliens > Starship Troopers > Terminator > Robocop

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I know it would never happen but a proper Robocop v Termintor film (in the vain of the very first films in the franchises) would be amazing.

As long as it wouldn't follow the RoboCop vs Terminator comic book storyline I'd be down for this. The comic books get really stupid

In a fight? Terminator. Far more durable and less prone to emotional/programming malfunctions.
RoboCop is low-key OP and would probably beat a Terminator pretty easily. In terms of durability, Robo falls off the top of the OCP sky scraper in RoboCop 2, falls through a highway, and barely has any dents.

Also, Terminators kind of actually suck at their job. Basically every Terminator in the franchise loses to something inferior than itself.
Terminator 1 = T-800 loses to Sarah and Kyle
Terminator 2 = T-1000 loses to the T-800
Terminator 3 = T-X loses to a T-850
(Same trend continues every movie)

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the very first mini by Miller and Simonson had its moments. It's a fun read.
But I wouldn't want a movie adaptation, they'd fuck it up even worse than AVP.
I feel like the comic book story was a case of them trying too hard. They could have kept everything a little more low key and contained and I thought it would have been better off. RoboCop's body becoming part of Skynet and then Murphy building an army of RoboCops in the future is where I really checked out.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Robocop is a much better movie. Like others have said it has better acting, writing and direction. It works as both a fun action movie and a biting satire.

Terminator is just a fun B-movie.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
As long as it wouldn't follow the RoboCop vs Terminator comic book storyline I'd be down for this. The comic books get really stupid

RoboCop is low-key OP and would probably beat a Terminator pretty easily. In terms of durability, Robo falls off the top of the OCP sky scraper in RoboCop 2, falls through a highway, and barely has any dents.

Also, Terminators kind of actually suck at their job. Basically every Terminator in the franchise loses to something inferior than itself.
Terminator 1 = T-800 loses to Sarah and Kyle
Terminator 2 = T-1000 loses to the T-800
Terminator 3 = T-X loses to a T-850
(Same trend continues every movie)

There's also the matter of Robocop literally stopping and breaking a hydraulic press and the terminator....

Well....
0XELeqK.gif

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I love that someone watched this r rated movie and thought; I can make a kids show out of this.
Shit, they made action figures marketed to kids directly based off the movie. I'm pretty sure i owned the action figure of the dude robo shoots in the dick

the 80s were nuts

IMACOMPUTA

Oct 27, 2017
There's also the matter of Robocop literally stopping and breaking a hydraulic press and the terminator....

Well....
0XELeqK.gif

Terminator was damaged and in a prone position. Not fair.

Also, a fun fact -- The Terminator theme was used in the original Robocop trailer:

Last edited:

Turbo Tu-Tone

Oct 27, 2017
Arnold's the better action hero, but Weller's the better man in metal. Robocop by a country mile. Terminator would get his shit WRECKED by RoboCain.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Terminator by a hair. Robocop is legitimately just as good. It's just that I prefer the horror tinge of T1.