• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
We already know that there is a compression technology used in the PS5 in order to reduce file size for games and Terminator Resistance Enhanced Ediiton is a big example of this technology. The PS4 version of the game weighs in at over 34 GB while the PS5 version that has just launched comes at around 19 GB, which is almost half the size of the original game.
twistedvoxel.com

Terminator Resistance Enhanced Cuts The File Size In Half on PS5 Compared To PS4

Terminator Resistance Enhanced is out now for the PS5. Interestingly, the file size of the game has been cut to half with the compression tech of the PS5.

From 34GB to 19GB

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Great to see PS5 versions being quite smaller than their respective PS4 version. Control is smaller on PS5 than PS4 as well.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Yes, and there's also an SSD which eliminates the need to duplicate files 😅
That's only if the game was developed with that in mind, rather than the traditional chunking of duplicated assets. Compression is more a step without really modifying the game layout / engine. We should see the benefits of that soon* though!

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Dunno why but I love seeing these next gen ports come in at such a smaller footprint

Very curious to see what the final size ends up being for FF7R Intergrade

Last edited:

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Good to see. Hopefully more common as the gen continues.

Also glad to see much of what Cerny laid out like a year ago is coming true so early on this gen.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Removing duplicate data that is required for slower hardware. When you have faster access times you don't need duplicate data.
No this is from compression of assets. Probably the Oodle compression tech as part of the PS5 toolkit. They make no reference to the removing duplicate data part in the post, which makes sense because it requires more careful engine work to do that versus just compressing textures and assets.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I want to get this so bad, but not for $40. I have a digital PS5, so PSN store is my only option and it never goes on sale (I've been watching for nearly a year)

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
well Avengers PS5 is 80gb which is ridiculous IMO so don't hold your breath.
I guess that it depends on the game and how far they go with compressing assets/removing duplicate files.

FF7 has a few CGI cutscenes that assumedly take up a large chunk of space, so I have no idea if they can even get compressed anymore than they already have been

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
To a layman like me, data compression at this level seems like magic.

Really glad compression upgrades came along with the new consoles. Game sizes would be absolutely absurd without it. Obviously some devs are taking advantage of it more than others. Depends on the time they allocate to it.

OskarXCI

Nov 11, 2018
The PS5 version of FFXIV take up less space than on PC or PS4. 35GB instead of 50GB.

Get used to hearing about next-gen versions of games taking up less space than last gen.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
No this is from compression of assets. Probably the Oodle compression tech as part of the PS5 toolkit. They make no reference to the removing duplicate data part in the post, which makes sense because it requires more careful engine work to do that versus just compressing textures and assets.

The author of the post just has two numbers and made an assumption that it was due to compression. There's no quote from the developers of the game to corroborate that.

I too suspect it was mostly due to removal of duplicate data. But I also have as much to go on as that post does.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
For every game that saves space from PS4 to ps5, Activision adds the saved data to COD.

Just finished the Game, never got round to playing it on PS4. Really enjoyed it, nothing amazing of groundbreaking but a lot of fun for me. Just wish 5 of my trophies didn't glitch which is frustrating.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Very strange, was just looking at my storage space and noticed that the game on ps5 (disc Copy although that shouldn't make a difference) says it's only 8.4GB Rather than the 19GB the op mentioned.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
They talked about it, but I didn't fully trust that it'd happen lol.

Glad to see stuff like this, especially on a machine with limited storage options.