• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

Well, this is dissapointing. 2 made so many improvements upon 1. Honestly, it's starting to feel like unless your mobage is adapted from some famous IP, it's doomed to fail in international markets. Makes me not want to get invested in any.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. They made a lot of misstep from day 1 and never quite recovered from it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
It survived longer than I anticipated. Knew it wouldn't last long in the current mobile environment.

theMrCravens

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, as a massive TB1 fan, I can tell you it failed because of shit launch issues, tiny launch content and some crap changes over what made TB1 decent. Even JP version is struggling.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
One of those improvements it couldn't make was making it fun to play. Terra Wars is looking like shit too so it looks like Sakaguchi only found moderate success for having some sort of quality in the market early on.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I can't enjoy a gacha style game unless its based on an IP I like. Its just too much bullshit to deal with if I'm not already invested

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Wow the story isn't even going to get to finish? Fuck, this is bad. I was going to jump back in if they manage to recover, but every time I saw a big update I would go "not there yet...." lol. Silicon Studio suuuuuuuux.

One of those improvements it couldn't make was making it fun to play. Terra Wars is looking like shit too so it looks like Sakaguchi only found moderate success for having some sort of quality in the market early on.
Yeah I don't understand why they cratered so hard with these dev collaborations after Terra Battle itself. So disappointing. I don't want a big clunky world map, I don't want tower defense, I don't want a gazillion complicated systems. Terra Battle was fine and they should have built on that simple but fun formula with more content, instead of weird different stuff that didn't work.

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, as a massive TB1 fan, I can tell you it failed because of shit launch issues, tiny launch content and some crap changes over what made TB1 decent. Even JP version is struggling.

You're right, launch for the game was pretty bad. Heck, because of it I didn't get that involved in 2 until April, making this news even more annoying.

I'm not interested in Terra Wars in the slightest. I'm kind of hoping Sakaguchi can strike some deal with Nintendo cause I'm tired of him, Uematsu, and Fujisaka being limited to mobile.

Honestly I can't enjoy a gacha style game unless its based on an IP I like. Its just too much bullshit to deal with if I'm not already invested

Makes sense for you and others, definitely helps with barrier of entry as well. Can do wonders for a fanbase too, Fire Emblem Heroes revitalized a lot of love for pre-Awakening games.

Chrono

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Not even surprised a little bit, it hadn't been updated for a couple of months (while Japan was continuing to get updates), I kind of figured what was happening. I stopped playing, but still did my daily login just out of curiosity.

I feel bad for people that spent money (and time) on this abomination. :/

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
You're right, launch for the game was pretty bad. Heck, because of it I didn't get that involved in 2 until April, making this news even more annoying.
How do you feel it was in April? I jumped in day one and it was so bad. Coming from 2+ years of playing Terra Battle the launch was simply unacceptable. Somehow making the game bigger just made it worse. So many weird design decisions. :/

OP
OP
Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel it was in April? I jumped in day one and it was so bad. Coming from 2+ years of playing Terra Battle the launch was simply unacceptable. Somehow making the game bigger just made it worse. So many weird design decisions. :/

A lot better! Gameplay started to feel less clunky and more working off the 1st's strengths, more content, better presentation, but the gacha system was still pretty terrible, and like Chrono said, there started to be barely any updates.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit. Longer I played the more I wanted a console game from Sakaguchi again, and I stopped eventually.

But I figured both of them were doing well! :/

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't even come close to finishing the game's story. Those who datamined the game would know there are tons of artworks on the server for story chapters up till 30+, and music that hasn't made it into the game yet. It all looks and sounds really good, which makes it all the more a shame that people outside Japan will never get to experience it.

But all that gorgeous art just makes me want a console game from them even more.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. I knew the game was struggling due to a number of issues but I didn't realise it was that bad, what a shame.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
I'm really really sad for Sakaguchi and Mistwalker i hope one of the big three helps him

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
They didn't even come close to finishing the game's story. Those who datamined the game would know there are tons of artworks on the server for story chapters up till 30+, and music that hasn't made it into the game yet. It all looks and sounds really good, which makes it all the more a shame that people outside Japan will never get to experience it.

But all that gorgeous art just makes me want a console game from them even more.
The roll out of the story content is way too slow. The game has been running for 9 months now and even in Japan they only got up to Chapter 12. I don't know what the hold up is, but when they first started they were targeting a chapter a week, and it was due to run a whole year for the first storyline, so probably 52 chapters. This no doubt contributed to the swift death of the game.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Gooch already said they're working on Terra Battle 3.

He really needs to let Terra Battle go. I don't know why he's so attached to it, the combat system isn't particularly fun and the gacha mechanics make actually playing it punishingly prohibitive. Terra Battle 2 somehow made that last part even worse.

If he really cares about that setting so much, he should try and have a larger developer make an actual game set there.

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
He really needs to let Terra Battle go. I don't know why he's so attached to it, the combat system isn't particularly fun and the gacha mechanics make actually playing it punishingly prohibitive. Terra Battle 2 somehow made that last part even worse.

If he really cares about that setting so much, he should try and have a larger developer make an actual game set there.
I dunno man, the battle system is the best application of touch and strategy I've played on mobile. Nothing comes close, especially when you have a full party and fight bosses and special encounters later in the game. Terra Battle was amazingly sleek and fun. None of that carries through to TB2 or Terra Wars because somehow he tried to expand on the wrong things. It was supposed to be fast and quick to play, puzzle-like in challenge. Instead with the world map stuff in TB2 it just became tedious, and I don't even know wtf Terra Wars wants to be.

As far as the setting goes, TB and TB2 don't even share the same world or anything so.... I dunno. I think Gooch is just weird.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno man, the battle system is the best application of touch and strategy I've played on mobile. Nothing comes close, especially when you have a full party and fight bosses and special encounters later in the game. Terra Battle was amazingly sleek and fun. None of that carries through to TB2 or Terra Wars because somehow he tried to expand on the wrong things. It was supposed to be fast and quick to play, puzzle-like in challenge. Instead with the world map stuff in TB2 it just became tedious, and I don't even know wtf Terra Wars wants to be.

As far as the setting goes, TB and TB2 don't even share the same world or anything so.... I dunno. I think Gooch is just weird.

I always just felt a stark disconnect between the gameplay and the characters because it never felt like I was playing an RPG - it felt like a puzzle game, but a puzzle game where you're supposed to grind levels and stats and gear. TB2 made that about a hundred times worse by making you gacha for characters AND gear and needing dupes of everything (and more grinding) to make them actually relevant, which pushed the mild fun of the puzzle battles even further into the background.

I just don't know what he sees as so imminently important about this series to keep pushing it as hard as he is. Is it just because every other IP Mistwalker has tried to start has immediately tanked so he's super-protective of the one he made super-cheap and nobody else has part-ownership of?

duckroll

Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
I always just felt a stark disconnect between the gameplay and the characters because it never felt like I was playing an RPG - it felt like a puzzle game, but a puzzle game where you're supposed to grind levels and stats and gear. TB2 made that about a hundred times worse by making you gacha for characters AND gear and needing dupes of everything (and more grinding) to make them actually relevant, which pushed the mild fun of the puzzle battles even further into the background.

I just don't know what he sees as so imminently important about this series to keep pushing it as hard as he is. Is it just because every other IP Mistwalker has tried to start has immediately tanked so he's super-protective of the one he made super-cheap and nobody else has part-ownership of?
Oh I absolutely agree. It's not very RPG-y. It's a puzzle strategy game with stats. I was fine with that though, because the progression was actually pretty fun when it was limited to characters and figuring out which jobs on which characters worked best in a party for a given situation. Then they introduced more and more bloat and the endgame stuff in TB got worse but still fun. TB2 overhauled the entire thing to make it gacha hell with no redeeming improvements. Just awful and a mess to manage.

But the core combat of TB1? It was perfection for an original new form of gameplay. TB2 couldn't even get THAT right when they decided to allow characters to phase through during movement. Just sad.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Damn, quick shutdowns like this are why I'm reluctant to bother with global versions of mobile games.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the story of most mobile game series.

"Hey, fans of [insert gacha here], we made a sequel! Please abandon your old account from the first game and all the time and money you put into it so you can play our new sequel where the gacha system is significantly worse, and we didn't think through our new game design ideas all that well! We look forward to closing the sequel's servers in exactly one year and three months."

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Terra Battle 1 was pretty good, I'm glad the servers are still up there. Hopefully they correct the issues with TB3. It's an interesting system, so hopefully he can find the right way to develop the new sequel.

Einbroch

Oct 25, 2017
Terra is a terrible franchise, they need to just start over.

The gacha is unappealing. You can pull a weapon that doesn't appear anywhere in combat or a character that only has a single piece of art and no battle sprite or unique, enticing animations. The entire battle screen is just square, cut off portraits of that single piece of art, with dumb swirls for attacks.

Games like FEH have two pieces of art, a sprite, many voice lines, and spell animations. FGO has multiple attack animations, a sprite, and evolving art. And so on. It doesn't matter how fun the game is if the gacha is boring. TB1 was a great game but never really exploded.

Oh well. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

Oct 25, 2017
I scarcely even knew there was a Terra Battle 2. One quick check tells me they never bothered to bring this over to Europe which judging by the very lukewarm to negative reception it's garnered, is probably for the best.

What was their plan with this sequel? Isn't Terra Battle 1 still going strong with a dedicated fanbase and regular content releases? Why wouldn't you keep building on that game's success like any other decent F2P service game, especially if you're a studio with limited hands and resources? Why risk a sequel so relatively soon that would have split the fanbase more than anything?

And now I'm learning of a Terra Wars and after looking at that one video of its basic controls I really have to ask what Sakaguchi is even doing anymore. I can't see that lasting very long either, so I may as well start writing its obituary now.

Oct 26, 2017
Launch was bad, but the currency used for pulls was doled out at a pathetic rate and there were extremely limited ways to earn them. This was compounded by pulls being costly, and buying energy was very expensive. Ultra compounded by the fact that they added gear and weapons to gacha pulls and you would need dupes to reach max level. They could have made the perfect mobile game and their gacha and currency decisions would turn away a large number of people.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
Launch was bad, but the currency used for pulls was doled out at a pathetic rate and there were extremely limited ways to earn them. This was compounded by pulls being costly, and buying energy was very expensive. Ultra compounded by the fact that they added gear and weapons to gacha pulls and you would need dupes to reach max level. They could have made the perfect mobile game and their gacha and currency decisions would turn away a large number of people.
Nah, the game is fundamentally boring to many players. Equips and skills along with needing dupes of anything is common.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Glad I didn't even bother trying it since they didn't bother with a UK release.

Not sure why they're bothering with a third, are people really going to invest in a gacha that keeps getting sequels which wipes all their money and time spent?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
With 2 being dead now, I doubt players will even try 3 or stay for a long time.
Good luck to Mistwalker I guess.

Who knows if they are even planning a western launch of Terra Battle 3. Terra Battle 2 already skipped a European launch and with Terra Battle 2 now ending its American service prematurely, you gotta wonder whether investing money in foreign versions is even worth it in the first place.

I had lots of fun with TB1, so it's kinda sad to see how TB2 turned out. Sounds like they added unnecessary bloat to it instead of focusing on what was good the first time around. Couldn't play it anyway (Europe yay), so it doesn't affect me much either way though.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I don't understand why they cratered so hard with these dev collaborations after Terra Battle itself. So disappointing. I don't want a big clunky world map, I don't want tower defense, I don't want a gazillion complicated systems. Terra Battle was fine and they should have built on that simple but fun formula with more content, instead of weird different stuff that didn't work.

My issue is that I was excited for it but couldn't play it on my phone. The world map was tiny as fuck and I couldn't move around. Granted my phone is smaller than average phones, but that seems like a huge oversight.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
What was their plan with this sequel? Isn't Terra Battle 1 still going strong with a dedicated fanbase and regular content releases? Why wouldn't you keep building on that game's success like any other decent F2P service game, especially if you're a studio with limited hands and resources? Why risk a sequel so relatively soon that would have split the fanbase more than anything?

The dude wanted FF style sequels. Terra Battle 2 was going to be another type of game with the same concept. Except he fucked the latter while the former is probably bleeding as an userbase after this failure.

Not sure how is Mistwalker going to recover in the future.