• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Is it? Lol, I was just thinking of it in terms of syllables like with most JP names (ie sei-na, u-chi, etc), in this case Yo-u but cool then :).

Gotta admit, took me a while to remember all the panel names. Yamasato is my favourite, along with Tori. Tokui is cool too (well all of them are XD)

Good to know :)

BTW, Tokui is also an actor and was excellent in Muri na Renai (where he plays a freeloading boyfriend) and N no Tame Ni (where he has a serious role and does excellent work in it). It was hard to see him again on TH after watching that show, he really embodied the role and it was a creepy character.

YOU is in a lot of Hirokazu Koreeda's films, she is a great actress.

What's this about a new series? On Netflix?

Man I wish there was some gay representation on TH, it's one of the few faults I have with the show.

New series, set in Karuizawa, Japan, coming December 19th to Japan. I've only seen two of Koreeda's films, Chichi ni Naru and Umimachi Diary...trying to remember if she was in either of them. Thanks for the heads-up! I'll have to keep an eye out for her in the rest of his movies.
I saw on her D-addicts page she was in his drama series, too, Going my Home, which I've only watched a little bit of.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
BTW, Tokui is also an actor and was excellent in Muri na Renai (where he plays a freeloading boyfriend) and N no Tame Ni (where he has a serious role and does excellent work in it). It was hard to see him again on TH after watching that show, he really embodied the role and it was a creepy character.

Making me want to check out some dramas haha.

Anyone have any Terrace House Conspiracy Theories? Like I've heard speculation of a cast member being asked to leave by production, but is there anything else people have wondered if there is more behind what we're shown?

Huh, wonder if that's true and if so why.

Not like we'd even see it discussed in the show if that happened since well... editing is king.

Like I hear Arman wasn't always a layabout/chill guy and he did get up and do a lot like his job stuff but they edited it and made him look like he never had anything on, etc.

Think I read that on the TH subreddit at one point after watching BGITC

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, wonder if that's true and if so why.

Not like we'd even see it discussed in the show if that happened since well... editing is king.

Like I hear Arman wasn't always a layabout/chill guy and he did get up and do a lot like his job stuff but they edited it and made him look like he never had anything on, etc.

Think I read that on the TH subreddit at one point after watching BGITC

I can't remember who it was but I think the speculation was based around the person leaving kind of suddenly and it possibly because she wasn't doing much and wasn't really a fit for the rest so they wanted to make room for something more to fit?

I think the only thing I have thought much about is that a large part of the Aloha State cast was only their to further their careers. Lauren for exposure on her art or modeling, Yusuke for his music even though he did need to get more exposure to other people, Eric with his god damn pop up, Wes is basically absent from the show unless its about his music. There's more but those are ones that directly pop up. So many of them just seem to be there for their jobs.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
I can't remember who it was but I think the speculation was based around the person leaving kind of suddenly and it possibly because she wasn't doing much and wasn't really a fit for the rest so they wanted to make room for something more to fit?

I think the only thing I have thought much about is that a large part of the Aloha State cast was only their to further their careers. Lauren for exposure on her art or modeling, Yusuke for his music even though he did need to get more exposure to other people, Eric with his god damn pop up, Wes is basically absent from the show unless its about his music. There's more but those are ones that directly pop up. So many of them just seem to be there for their jobs.

Seeing how Wez was treated, I don't think they do actual booting. He should been gone a long time ago were that the actual case.

Gibson

Oct 29, 2017
I think given that they can watch the show as it begins to air they have the benefit of reflecting on how they are perceived and whatnot and they can see a bit more objectively whether they 'fit' with the show and the cast. I think that's probably a more likely reason why they might leave rather than being pushed out by production.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, it's usually either job related or to find a relationship based on what people say during the initial meeting.

Though I did laugh out loud at the whole 'I want to find a "Love to Die for"' thing.

I'm fine with people mostly being there for that and still taking part in the house stuff from time to time. The problem more comes from stuff like Wes where he seems to have his entire time in Hawaii off camera unless it's in service of his image or his music.

I guess with In the City it was just integrated better, people were their for other reasons but still took part in the show. You didn't have it so obvious until the end with the whole dating off camera stuff.

I definitely think Wes puts a big hole in the whole production theory. It's just a theory I remember seeing.

Deleted member 3837

Im like 10 minutes into the first season and its pretty awkward but somehow charming.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was the fitness girl with the short hair who allegedly got told to leave, right? She was there for like no time at all, didn't really spend time with anyone, and then suddenly she got a phone call and left.

And yet she was still more compelling that Wez.

clockstrikes

Oct 27, 2017
I think it was the fitness girl with the short hair who allegedly got told to leave, right? She was there for like no time at all, didn't really spend time with anyone, and then suddenly she got a phone call and left.

And yet she was still more compelling that Wez.

Mila, right? I think it was assumed that she was brought on only to potentially match with Guy? But once he decided to leave, she found no reason to stay especially since all of the other housemates were so much older than her.

She was spunky though, I liked her.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
We've just gotten to Part 3, episode 7 of Aloha State.

Taishi is rather fickle? Shallow? I mean, first it was Anna, then Niki comes in and he's like "I like her" and now Cheri and is like "I think I like her more now". For someone trying to find a love to die for, he is very fickle I think.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, I found Taishi to be more and more admirable as the series went on. At first, I was just like Kentaro ("he's insane"), but Taishi grew on me as a main character, especially in his interactions unrelated to his pursuit of love.

Possibly this is due to how ass many of the other cast members were, though.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Also thought Taishi was kinda shallow at first but I quickly learned to appreciate him. He can come across as annoying but deep down he's a nice dude and he might be the member I liked the most in this season, along with Guy.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Copied my comment from a r/terracehouse thread about Taishi a while ago:

I hated Taishi for a good while, but I think he is ultimately a good person. It's undeniable that he did a lot of shitty things, and while this doesn't excuse any of that, I feel that he's a bit self conscious and has trouble expressing himself a lot of the time. He's not completely emotionally mature either and it makes him act ridiculously clumsy at times. All of that combined with the fact that, like Tokui said, he's 29 and he's really thinking about the future, which unfortunately causes him to have his blinders up sometimes when it comes to other people. He seems kind of panicked in that sense, but he's also very caring and I think he and Chikako are a really good fit.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Also thought Taishi was kinda shallow at first but I quickly learned to appreciate him. He can come across as annoying but deep down he's a nice dude and he might be the member I liked the most in this season, along with Guy.

To be fair, I never said he wasn't nice (he is a nice guy), but I do think he's shallow.

Guy is cool as well but I facepalmed at his 'date' with Niki. Mainly the wanting to leave her to join some other guys. And not picking up on what I personally felt was obvious annoyance from Niki afterwards.

edit: Finished the last ep of Part 3 and last ep I'm watching tonight.

I'm happy Cheri called Taishi out. Though the whole "I need to go on more dates to see how I feel" feels weird since well, they are living together. If you were to feel differently when on proper dates than when you're just going about your normal non-date lives then the relationship probably wouldn't work out long term I feel? If that makes sense.

It's not like normal couples where you might only get the chance to see them on dates during the beginning of a relationship due to these guys actually living together and seeing how people are in their every day lives (aka when they aren't 'trying' like you would if you were going on a date)

I also don't know, what's the problem with Wez? I haven't seen much reason yet for the way people speak about him in this thread?

Finally, that scene at the end with them under the covers. That was pretty sweet.

Last edited:

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
Re: wez aloha state overall spoilers

Pretty much didn't have much going on. Maybe it was editing but even the panel called him out on it. Believe it was Yamachan calling him a freeloader. Also what he had going on, wasn't the best personality. How Anna was treated, then there was also how he reacted during the Cheri confrontation. Oh and he was clearly tapping that girl in his new video lol.

Just noticed you're not at part 4 so probably why you don't see the reasoning behind doggin on Wez.

Last edited:

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Re: wez aloha state overall spoilers

Pretty much didn't have much going on. Maybe it was editing but even the panel called him out on it. Believe it was Yamachan calling him a freeloader. Also what he had going on, wasn't the best personality. How Anna was treated, then there was also how he reacted during the Cheri confrontation. Oh and he was clearly tapping that girl in his new video lol.

Just noticed you're not at part 4 so probably why you don't see the reasoning behind doggin on Wez.

Haha yeah, I mean the panel seems keen on him so far which is why I'm confused. Guess part 4 will answer my questions.

Also again, I'm not trying to say I dislike Taishi. Just saying how I feel about the way he's acted recently. I like him but it doesn't change how he comes across to me with his actions recently.

I look forward to seeing how part 4 will go.

and then watch BxGND subs while waiting for the new season to come on next year >_<

Link Gray

Oct 27, 2017
Oh there's a thread for this show! I'm in the middle of Aloha state and it's alright, definitely liked In the City more. Thought Arman was pretty chill, he just wanted to be there cuz he thought it would be nice time lol. Liked that he wasn't there just for exposure you know?

Rahk

Oct 25, 2017
I know right?

Do we know if it a licencing issue or something?
Next Door originally aired on Japanese TV before Netflix started co-producing so English subtitles were never made for it. Just speculation, but they'd probably have to pay for rights, translate it and license/change music throughout the series, so they may not think it's worth it for an old series (niche to English speakers) especially if it cuts into the schedule of the new one. I suppose there could also be issues if the original members only agreed to it being aired in Japan.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next Door originally aired on Japanese TV before Netflix started co-producing so English subtitles were never made for it. Just speculation, but they'd probably have to pay for rights, translate it and license/change music throughout the series, so they may not think it's worth it for an old series (niche to English speakers) especially if it cuts into the schedule of the new one. I suppose there could also be issues if the original members only agreed to it being aired in Japan.

Yeah that makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I really didn't like Aloha State that much, I hope the next series is better. Cheri was the absolute worst.

A little off topic but has anyone seen "The House"? It's only in Japanese so might have a limited audience here. It's basically Terrace House but super low budget. I found it after finishing Aloha State. It's way more crude and the mostly everyone on the show seems to be a dirtbag of some kind. But it's something to watch while waiting for the new series.

Mairu

Oct 25, 2017
SF Bay Area
How do you watch the older seasons on Netflix with subtitles? I know it's possible to get to the JP Netflix with a VPN, but the last time I looked there's no subtitles on Netflix for them.

Deleted member 14002

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you watch the older seasons on Netflix with subtitles? I know it's possible to get to the JP Netflix with a VPN, but the last time I looked there's no subtitles on Netflix for them.

I don't think that's possible with English subtitles. I think that's why the translation project Costco subs is around.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yeah, the first season doesn't have English subtitles on Japanese Netflix, only Japanese ones.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
If folks are interested. Taishi has a fashion brand going now (Has Aloha State spoilers) :

https://twitter.com/t4beachclub

Also just as of Nov 15th (Aloha State Spoilers:

Taishi and Chikako in LA!
DOvGMeHU8AY-qk8.jpg

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Yes!

http://www.terrace-house.jp/openingnewdoors/index.html

Starts 12/19 in Japan, taking place in the Karuizawa area (See OP). We'll probably get it in the west a bit after.

In the west in spring is all we have.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-...ew-series-of-terrace-house-in-karuizawa-japan

TOKYO, JAPAN (October 31, 2017) - Netflix, the world's leading internet entertainment service, announced that its original unscripted series TERRACE HOUSE: Opening New Doors will premiere in Japan on December 19, 2017 with bi-weekly episodes, with Part 1 (episodes 1-8) launching globally in Spring 2018.

Bad thing is, looks to be the same style as Aloha State which honestly sucks. (Part 1 and then nothing until part 2, etc).

I mean if CR can bring out subs for weekly shows, I don't see why Netflix can't do the same bi-weekly. But whatever, more Terrace House is yay :D

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
In the west in spring is all we have.

https://media.netflix.com/en/press-...ew-series-of-terrace-house-in-karuizawa-japan

Bad thing is, looks to be the same style as Aloha State which honestly sucks. (Part 1 and then nothing until part 2, etc).

I mean if CR can bring out subs for weekly shows, I don't see why Netflix can't do the same bi-weekly. But whatever, more Terrace House is yay :D

Netflix seems to just not like the idea of episodic release in the US at all. Most other regions have some form of episodic or weekly release between US shows in other markets or shows that just get released weekly, but nothing in US like that.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Outside of Han-San and Guy, Arman may be my favorite male house guest.

Since I'm listing:
1: Han
2: Guy
3: Arman
4: Byrnes
5: Uchi

1: Mizuki
2: Minori
3: Avian
4: Martha
5: Mila (wish she was around more, thought she was hilarious)

Worst:
5: Eric (That god damn pop-up!)
4: Natsumi
3: Hayato
2: Wez
1: Cherri

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Ep. 35 right now. I'm still trying to figure out if I like Miwa or not. She seems nice, but something in her attitude just doesn't sit well with me.

On the other hand, Tecchan is definitely the MVP of the whole thing as the "main character" you really want to succeed, as mentioned in the op. His chemistry with Daiki is also great.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
So just watched the first 2 eps of Part 4 of Aloha State.

I'm liking this whole Taishi/Chikako thing. Taishi is acting a lot more differently than he usually acts which is interesting.

Also was very happy seeing Guy win his thing. That was nice.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Ep 6 of Part 4 of Aloha State. Final 2 members about to come in. Sad Mila left as well though, didn't see much of her but I liked her.

Also browsing some of the Aloha State people social media and saw this pic on Yuya's instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYjrjAjgNwY/

Taishi looks odd with his facial hair lol. Also nice to see they all keep in touch still.

Also looks like Yuya and Avian are still together based on some pics from that seem to be dated November.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
They are! Although too late now, was gonna say looking at their instagrams will end up spoiling outcomes for you haha.

He has shaved it a bit since tho if you check more recent pics for Nov.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny that that "original cast" pic totally replaces Eric and Yusuke—who sucked—with Taishi—who wasn't even one of the originals.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
They are! Although too late now, was gonna say looking at their instagrams will end up spoiling outcomes for you haha.

He has shaved it a bit since tho if you check more recent pics for Nov.

Well I already know about Chika & Taishi, think it's been mentioned in here already plus I saw the description for the netflix eps including the final ep.

But I'm okay with that, the journey is pretty fun. Also I can honestly say that I'm loving this current Taishi now.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny that that "original cast" pic totally replaces Eric and Yusuke—who sucked—with Taishi—who wasn't even one of the originals.

Yusuke, I feel, could have come around given more time. He just seemed like he was too self conscious and nervous and at the same time not given much in the way of help when it seemed like the guys encouraged him to pursue Lauren even though they knew she wasn't interested, and they seemingly only ever wanted him around if he was playing music.

I actually think Yusuke and Guy could have been fun to see as I think Guy would have been good for Yusuke opening up and Guy would have been encouraging and nice, compared to Yuya and Eric.