• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished part 5 and I'm really liking this new bunch of HG's. Maya, Kaito, Aio and the other girl(I can't remember her name off hand) are all great so far.

Not a big fan on Saito, but I really like the panel's reactions to him so he's worth it.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
The gift that keeps on giving.
And that cliffhanger with some Gesu no Kiwami Otome in the background, breh.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I love that in Yui's mind:
- Bringing up that someone was plotting something behind the cameras that didn't come to fruition.
- Actively lying about your own status, including situations when directly asked, to have a better image in front of a camera.

Are somehow equally bad. No Yui, it doesn't matter what exactly you were doing in the bedroom and what Aio did. Although that part was hilarious.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Masao is the MVP. I kept saying "he's not ゲス at all!"

And Yui, lol. I lost it at "why was I kissing him???? And "he finished himself off" if you look up "wildin" in the dictionary it has a picture of Yui next to it.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, Yui is so diabolical! What a creep lol! All of this stuff makes me question all of her actions through out the rest of the show. The whole thing with her and Aio being in a relationship now feels so awkward and forced, it's painful. Did anyone else notice Risako (and Masao I guess) pass on the chance to expose them to Maya and Kaito when Yui announced to the group they were dating? I think Risako was wise to avoid initiating more drama, but it would have been amazing TV. I'm interested to see what Risako says to Masao. I think they'd be a really cool couple, but it seems a bit too fast on Masao's part.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
Brian Lee O'Malley confirmed TH fan.

My daughter sent me this. Saw it in her latest issue of Snotgirl and ... well... she knows I'm a TH addict. Instantly recognized.

fateWct.jpg

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
Is it confirmed that Risako didn't tell anyone else about the Yui-Aio shitshow (at least for this episode)? Good on her, but I admit I'd love to see their reactions once they get wind of that.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
In a scripted show we'd get Shion x Tsubasa as the feel-good late season plot instead of whatever the fuck this is. I guess it's entertaining to watch Yui crash and burn as she ineptly tries to do damage control though.

As for Masao x Risako, I'm not feeling it. Happened way too fast to be authentic. And he's basically just taking advantage of her vulnerability to get into her pants. Congrats to them if they hook up but one of the weaker romances to come out of TH imo.

Last edited:

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Brian Lee O'Malley confirmed TH fan.

My daughter sent me this. Saw it in her latest issue of Snotgirl and ... well... she knows I'm a TH addict. Instantly recognized.

fateWct.jpg

I totally read that in his voice, and I don't even speak Japanese...
Honestly, the panel is the best thing about this show. Their dynamic is just great.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Noooooo, you can't do a cliffhanger twice in a row for my poor Masao...
My man Enon going to bat for him, お疲れさま

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I like Masao, he seems like a nice guy, but at this point I'm kind of bored with their thing, hopefully it gets solved quickly in the next episode.
I don't know why, but it doesn't really feel like a series ending thing, like the Chikako x Taishi situation did (on the other hand, it feels much more natural), but maybe that's just me.

As for Enon, no one is going to bat, words are cheap and good PR, especially for someone who has been involved in a scandal is very important.
I don't know the guy, but he lost literally nothing he said painted him in a bad light. So rather than going to bat, he just went to get some good will.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think Masao's problem is that he'd make a great boyfriend, but he skips right into that part of the dating phase, and usually the start of relationships are more about fun and spontaneity. Once you're together that's when you break out all the hospitality. Also where were Yui and Aio? lol.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Arman is the best. Han-San is overhyped ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Firmly agree, I always thought Han-san was kinda arrogant and it annoyed me. Arman will forever be my number one TH husbando.

Okay, I'm ready for this season to end. I think we've seen everything we need to. I really like Masao and Risako but it's obvious there's no chemistry between them and seeing Masao's attempts to woo Risako are kind of painful. I liked the scene with Kaito and Maya though! I think it's cool that they're realistic about their relationship and are willing to just see what happens. I hope they can at least stay good friends. I also thought it was really funny that Yui was noticeably absent from this episode.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Arman isn't lazy. One of the final episodes shows all his coworkers at Loco Mart saying what a hard worker he was and how he was always the first person to help with things. Martha also said the same thing about him during their date. I think the understanding is that the show just didn't show him going to his day job reliably every day because it was kind of boring. Even the panel admits they had the wrong impression of him in the end.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
han-san is just kind of an oddity on this type of show. is he the only cast member on the show that hasn't been single?
A member in the first season had a girlfriend too. Proposed to her before leaving the show too.
Another one was divorced, with a daughter.
They also had an AKB48 member that technically couldn't be in relationship.

Having more members that aren't single would be cool. TH doesn't have to be just about potential romance.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
Arman isn't lazy. One of the final episodes shows all his coworkers at Loco Mart saying what a hard worker he was and how he was always the first person to help with things. Martha also said the same thing about him during their date. I think the understanding is that the show just didn't show him going to his day job reliably every day because it was kind of boring. Even the panel admits they had the wrong impression of him in the end.

Didn't he say he wanted to be a firefighter?

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I think the story is Arman actually has a relatively successful career working in video/film production in Hawaii and someone he knew from either Netflix or the TH production company told him he should apply. I think he was just looking to spend time in Japan. If you look at his IG, he's back in Hawaii doing production work. Working at Loco Mart, wanting to be a firefighter, and kickboxing are all callbacks to Tecchan and Daiki from the first series. Who knows how much of that was influenced by production.

Also, if you guys think Arman isn't motivated enough, and you haven't seen Boys & Girls Next Door, Tecchan's inept slacker ways will make your head explode.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
And we're done with OND.
This week's episode was just bad. I'm not even talking about Masao being dumped, we knew it's going to happen since last week.
Showing old members is something they do every time iirc., but I feel like in this one it's felt a bit forced. That said, I'm sure for many people the 2 minutes with Shion and Tsubasa will be enough to redeem the whole episode, haha.
I'm still bummed we got no real closure regarding what Yui did, but I guess they didn't want to drag her through the mud anymore, especially since she's just starting to work. It might be TV, but I'm sure the toxic fans can be a pain.
Edit:
(Since it's been announced on the official twitter account, I'll take this part out of the spoiler.)
Despite of all the "maybes" dropped in the studio, it looks like we're going to have another season in Tokyo starting later this year.
Weird remote-ish places aside, I think I'd prefer Osaka, if only for people being more direct with each other. And the dialect.

sprsk

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Is it bad I was most excited to see Tomio? He's the best.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
This season had its ups and downs, some laughable drama and moments, but man I've enjoyed it a lot. Gave me some of my favorite TH members.
Hearing this song always brings the feels.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
Well, that's that. Even if the ending was kind of flat, this was a great series and the one that got me obsessed with TH. I'm glad we only have to wait a few months for the next series. I kind of wish they were going somewhere other than Tokyo, but I'm really happy they're keeping it in Japan. I hope one of the new roommates gets a job at LocoMart!

Staab

Oct 28, 2017
Very meh season indeed, a total lack of chemistry between the house mates and no real "bros".
You don't really feel like anyone's gonna miss each other after they're gone.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Very meh season indeed, a total lack of chemistry between the house mates and no real "bros".
You don't really feel like anyone's gonna miss each other after they're gone.
Some members were super close tho : Nakamura and Shouhei, Aimi and Tsubasa, Yui-Aya-Shunsuke.
And pretty much the entire cast is still hanging out together if you look at their Instagram. So 🤔🤔🤔🤔

The Tokyo season had what, one close trio (Arman-Hansan-Hikaru) and that's about it.
Same for Next Door.

Really one thing to keep in my mind, it's that you get a 35 minutes digest of their lives once a week, so you can't get their whole bonding process. Some members who seem like they barely talk to each other due to the editing are actually super friends and all.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Some members were super close tho : Nakamura and Shouhei, Aimi and Tsubasa, Yui-Aya-Shunsuke.
And pretty much the entire cast is still hanging out together if you look at their Instagram. So 🤔🤔🤔🤔

The Tokyo season had what, one close trio (Arman-Hansan-Hikaru) and that's about it.
Same for Next Door.

Really one thing to keep in my mind, it's that you get a 35 minutes digest of their lives once a week, so you can't get their whole bonding process. Some members who seem like they barely talk to each other due to the editing are actually super friends and all.
The show is the show. It's a bit strange to judge a show based on something that happens outside of it. If I can't see the bonding during the episodes, too bad. That's like saying Desitny has an amazing lore yet you couldn't see it in the actual game

My ranking:

1. Boys & Girls Next Door (+ Closing Door)
  2. Boys & Girls in the City
  3. Opening New Doors
  4. Aloha State

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Yeah, the show is the show, but their relationships go beyond the 30 minutes you get to see, that's my whole point.
It's strange to say that members aren't bros when you don't see the whole picture.

And the video game comparison doesn't fit at all lol

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
I dozed off towards the end of the finale. Oh well. I'm still grateful for the awesome scenes from the earlier episodes, and seeing Shion and Tsubasa (and Tsubasa's dad) again was worth it.

Oct 30, 2017
Your Imagination

Same for Next Door.

This may be one of those things that you won't get unless you visit the location, but Karuizawa is pretty darn remote - there is zero nightlife and only a few restaurants/snack bars open even semi-late. Then you compare this to Tokyo which is the largest capital city in the world - it makes sense that bonds would be stronger in a place that's quite remote as opposed to Tokyo where there would be many many more outside distractions.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I do think there's an issue with the show where so much happens off screen that it's easy to miss out on developments between housemates unless you're reading the subreddit and translations of Another Terrace etc. I feel like it was especially an issue with OND. Netflix is really dropping the ball by not translating the Another Terrace YouTube stuff.

Blablurn

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
sorry lads. for some reason the normal spoiler function didnt work. now it does ! sorry to have cause you trouble on the internet on this saturday.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
Risako has sneaked her way into being the best house guest. She's very cute, seems fun, and her laughing at the glasses date was hilariously brutal.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

Same for Next Door.

If you go by ig everyone on terrace house seems to know each other and hang out between the different casts lol

Seems like half of them are models or trying to be.