• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I know this rule isn't widely advertised outside of our anime threads, but a kind reminder that discussion on piracy and fansubs is prohibited on Resetera.

Hello and welcome to the official thread for Terrace House, where we discuss the hit reality TV show from the Land of the Rising Sun!

What is Terrace House ?

Terrace House is a Japanese reality show that started back in 2012 on FujiTV. Three men and three women share the same house, and we simply follow their day to day life.
The show quickly attracted viewers due to the concept of reality TV being somewhat new in the country, as opposed to the USA or European countries where the genre has been a huge money maker for decades.
The first season ended in late 2014, but people wanted more, and after one small sequel (as a « movie »), the show came back on Netflix when the service launched in Japan. Thanks to that, Terrace House became available to a worldwide audience, fascinated by this new take on reality TV.

Huh, so it's just another crappy reality show. Why should I care ?

If you're used to Western programs such as Jersey Shore or Big Brother, reality TV is bottom of the barrel trash with idiots arguing all the time, and you can tell the production often gets involved to create drama. This is where Terrace House shines. People are not caricature, stereotypes, they act like… human beings ? You will never see someone yelling at an other member, get physical… You can suspect that the production has a small influence, but even if it's the case you never feel that way. From a non-Japanese perspective, the show can also have an interesting anthropological value to it. How do they interact with each other ? It's obviously a tiny tiny sample of the population, but it definitely gives you some hints.

Where do I watch it?

Netflix for the most part.

The Seasons

TERRACE HOUSE TOKYO 2019-2020 (May 2019 - )

HzhP6rZ.png

The 5th season of Terrace House will be back in Tokyo, 3 years after the In The City. WIth the Tokyo Olympics on the horizon, we can expect a few aspiring athletes to show up, as well as some good PR for the city.

TERRACE HOUSE BOYS×GIRLS NEXT DOOR (October 2012 to September 2014)
HU4Qolg.gif

Where it all begins. Technically it was broadcast as 8 seasons on television, but it always kept the same name and location (it did change once), members carried over… so we can safely treat it as one big season.
An extremely long but really entertaining season in my opinion. For the longest time it hasn't be available for non-Japanese viewers, but a group of fans decided to sub this season. I'm not sure I'm allowed to link to that project but a quick Google search will lead you there.
This season got a « movie », CLOSING DOOR, which was just a 2 hours long episode starting right when Tetsuya, the last remaining member, was about to leave the house. We should note that Tetsuya stayed from the first episode until the end, he is the only member to ever do that.

TERRACE HOUSE BOYS & GIRLS IN THE CITY (September 2015 to September 2016)
0yyvcd3.jpg

Back in September 2015, Netflix launched in Japan, and to push the service in the country, FujiTV and Netflix worked together to bring back the acclaimed show (the show does air on television with a 1-month delay). This might be the most beloved season by Western fans since it's the one most people discovered the show with. A lot of great moments, great cast for the most part, just a blast to watch.

TERRACE HOUSE ALOHA STATE (November 2016 to August 2017)
CEEGahl.jpg

It is still unclear if they decided to move to Hawaii to appeal to a growing worldwide fanbase, or if they just thought Hawaii was simply a cool location (Japanese people do like Hawaii after all) for the show. This one kinda stinks to be honest. Most people who loved the previous one were bored with this one : no chemistry between the members, weak starting roster, kinda dull location (no offense to people living in Hawaii). It's not unusual to see people recommending the previous season to newcomers unimpressed by Aloha State.

TERRACE HOUSE OPENING NEW DOORS (December 2017 - February 2018)
JUyDuXI.jpg

The 4th installment in the series took us to Karuizawa, a popular mountain resort among Japanese people. A pretty entertaining season, especially after the Aloha State disaster.

The Panel

Main members of the panel are young model/talent/actress Triendl Reina, veteran model/talent/actress YOU, Tokui Yoshimi (from the comedy duo Tutorial), Babazono Azusa (from the comedy duo Asian), Yamasato Ryota (from the comedy duo Nankai Candies). The sixth member of the panel regularly changes : young actors Mochizuki Ayumu, Kentaro, and Tokasa Hiroomi from the popular boys band Sandaime J-Soul Brothers.
Their reactions and comments can steal the show. They never hold back and hearing them either trash or rave about the participants is a treat. Excellent chemistry and group dynamic.

gifs by TarasHouse on Reddit

A Few Memorable Members
Sugaya Tetsuya (BOYS×GIRLS NEXT DOOR) - Stayed the entire season, very likable, seeing him overcoming (or not) the odds has been a great ride.

Shimabukuro Seina (BOYS×GIRLS NEXT DOOR) - The icon of Terrace House. Over the top personality but her occasional signs of weakness and doubt made her an endearing member.

Imai Hana (BOYS×GIRLS NEXT DOOR) - A strong personality, this gal also exposed her softer side to become a fan favorite.
Bitaraf Arman (BOYS & GIRLS IN THE CITY) - The chillest (maybe too chill) dude.

Handa Yuto (BOYS & GIRLS IN THE CITY) - Mr.Perfect, you will never find someone who disliked him. One of the nicest people on Earth. Tears were shed when he left the show (I cried)

Adachi Yuki (BOYS & GIRLS IN THE CITY) - The tap dancer obsessed with hard work and other people's dreams. One of the most brutal rejections in TH's history.

Saito Natsumi (BOYS & GIRLS IN THE CITY) - Don't mess with her or you might just get killed. One of the first members to really bring drama in the house.

Tamaki Taishi (ALOHA STATE) - In the search for "a love to die for", an hopeless (?) romantic who wants to become a movie star

Sato Guy (ALOHA STATE) - The pure and harmless surfer with a heart of gold, aka Winnie The Pooh

Last edited by a moderator:

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Crossing my fingers that the new season is a return to form.

Aloha State turned into some Western reality show shenanigans at points so I'm glad that they are returning to Japan.

Hampig

Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious to go back and watch the older seasons pre-netflix US. Has anyone watched? How are they?

Oct 27, 2017
People think I'm joking when I say that Boys and Girls In The City is maybe my favourite Netflix show but it's so good.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I hope Arman does cameos in the new one.

He is the forever-resident.

lol...i wouldn't be surprised. i think his gf is based in japan and he's in hawaii right? be like the running joke. arman just never leaves even when he's not on the show anymore.
Really want to see the first series mostly cause of the messiness of Shimabukuro Seina.

me too. she keeps getting referenced but i have no context having never watched that first season.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I'm curious to go back and watch the older seasons pre-netflix US. Has anyone watched? How are they?
The original has a lot of memorable moments imo. Yes it's very long, but goddamn was it fascinating to watch, even though I watched it after the 2nd season, In The City. And the production values were already top notch.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
With how many times the first series is referenced by the Couch I feel like Netflix needs to get it and translate it for US. I need it!

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
Aloha State redeemed itself in the end imo. Parts 3 & 4 were really great.
Hoping that the new season is able to reach the heights of BxG In The City though

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I think you should add Chikako to the op, she was very memorable!

As for people who disliked Handa - my girlfriend wasn't a huge fan of him when we were watching TH together. Same with me, I don't share the love that everyone else seems to have towards him.
To explain, it felt like most of the things he said and did were purely for himself, he came off as a big egoist. That doesn't mean that he was wrong, plus his words and deeds were definitely not obnoxious, but I feel that he was much less of an altruist that people think.*
*I think this was our problem with him, it was so long ago that honestly I can't remember it clearly.
Yeah it is available on Netflix in Japan, as well as Fuji TV's on demand website.
Oh man, thank you for this post. I tried watching the first season on Netflix Japan twice, but for some reason it started playing at week 51st and I thought that only the last part of it is available.
Now I double checked and you're right, they have the whole thing. I'll definitely check it out later.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone who doesn't know, some people from r/TerraceHouse have been doing a fan translation of the original series. They release an episode each week last I checked.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for making a TH OT, Kurita!! Looking forward to the new season.
That one plot point at the end of BGITC still blows my mind.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
I saw a few episodes of it, it's not my thing but it was refreshing to see a reality show with normal people and it seems unscripted.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
The McElroys got me into this, I've never been as emotionally invested in a show as I was with B&GitC, such a fantastic season of television. There's so much heart in the production, it really elevates itself above any other reality shows. I briefly went on a reality show kick after finishing it, trying to fill the void, and there's just nothing else like it.

Shame Aloha State was so muted. The cast really defines the show (even if the couch sections are definitely the most fun parts to watch), sometimes you just get a group with very little chemistry. The release schedule for the show on US Netflix really didn't help either, the pacing of the season was completely gutted.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The McElroys got me into this, I've never been as emotionally invested in a show as I was with B&GitC, such a fantastic season of television. There's so much heart in the production, it really elevates itself above any other reality shows. I briefly went on a reality show kick after finishing it, trying to fill the void, and there's just nothing else like it.

Shame Aloha State was so muted. The cast really defines the show (even if the couch sections are definitely the most fun parts to watch), sometimes you just get a group with very little chemistry. The release schedule for the show on US Netflix really didn't help either, the pacing of the season was completely gutted.

yeah i actually wouldn't mind if they just waited to put out the entire season in one go as opposed to breaking it up in parts.

larrybud

Oct 25, 2017
Love this show. the women are incredible. I also really like the panel's commentary - it's at times surprisingly insightful.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
For people who know Japanese and like the panel, I recommend watching TH with the panel's commentary, it's one of the audio tracks on Netflix.
There are 2 downsides - one, it doesn't have subtitles in any language. Two, the regular voice track is a bit muted, but it's not that bad.

Soilbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
USA
For people who know Japanese and like the panel, I recommend watching TH with the panel's commentary, it's one of the audio tracks on Netflix.
There are 2 downsides - one, it doesn't have subtitles in any language. Two, the regular voice track is a bit muted, but it's not that bad.

Dang, i wish it was available for the US netflix.The panel makes most of the show greatness.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Yeah watching with the comments for the whole thing is amazing, I actually watched Aloha State entirely with them on to make it even more entertaining. Died when they saw Guy and Niki lying next to each other lol

Oh man, thank you for this post. I tried watching the first season on Netflix Japan twice, but for some reason it started playing at week 51st and I thought that only the last part of it is available.
Now I double checked and you're right, they have the whole thing. I'll definitely check it out later.
Yeah they they didn't have the first half for a while but unless I'm mistaken ten or so episodes are still missing (even on Fuji TV's website). Pretty sure they're the episodes with Kitahara Rie (who used to be an AKB member), she was a participant the first two months.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Yeah they they didn't have the first half for a while but unless I'm mistaken ten or so episodes are still missing (even on Fuji TV's website). Pretty sure they're the episodes with Kitahara Rie (who used to be an AKB member), she was a participant the first two months.
I watched the first episode of the first series yesterday and I was shocked at how good it was. I don't know how it will turn out, but everyone seemed pretty excited to be there and interact with others, it was a joy to watch. It was like the polar opposite of the beginning of Aloha State.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
huh...when isTerrace House: Opening New Doors getting added? listing is available but its not actually up yet.

also...isn't that like the follow up? why would i watch this if i can't watch the original?

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
huh...when isTerrace House: Opening New Doors getting added? listing is available but its not actually up yet.

also...isn't that like the follow up? why would i watch this if i can't watch the original?
Opening New Doors is the next season of the show. Terrace House Closing Door is the movie follow up to Boys and Girls Next Door.

The listing was up early for Aloha State too, but it's probably going to be a while since it doesn't premiere in Japan for another month and Netflix loves forcing their binge culture for foreign content. If you really want to watch it when it comes out, you can just use a VPN to access NetflixJP, which always has English subs when it comes out weekly.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Opening New Doors is the next season of the show. Terrace House Closing Door is the movie follow up to Boys and Girls Next Door.

The listing was up early for Aloha State too, but it's probably going to be a while since it doesn't premiere in Japan for another month and Netflix loves forcing their binge culture for foreign content. If you really want to watch it when it comes out, you can just use a VPN to access NetflixJP, which always has English subs when it comes out weekly.

ah...my bad i got the names confused. i might just wait this time for the entire parts to be released in the us for the new season.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
7 episodes into Boys and Girls Next Door and it continues to be a very enjoyable watch. The cast gels really well, has great chemistry and, again, is very active about everything. It might be the editing, but there's much less sitting around doing nothing than in the following 2 series.
It's interesting that there's no panel yet just YOU talking for a bit about the previous episode at the start. That said, since the core part is so good, I don't even miss them.
While I'm not that far into it, I can totally see why so many people like Tetsuya, he's great. Seina is pretty good too, although she drinks way too much, haha.

caffe misto

Oct 25, 2017
the electric city
I might be in the minority here but I love Natsumi. Along with Minori's sister, she's my favorite gal in Terrace House
I really like Natsumi as well. She was mean to some of the other characters, but I felt that it came from a place of sincerely not understanding how to act around other people. I empathized with the say she wanted to become better but didn't know how.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really like Natsumi as well. She was mean to some of the other characters, but I felt that it came from a place of sincerely not understanding how to act around other people. I empathized with the say she wanted to become better but didn't know how.
I love her. I never got the impression that she was an outright bad person and was most likely just kinda socially dumb lmao. That doesn't really excuse her shit, but I'm glad that
Everyone made up in the end.

Shadow Walker

Oct 27, 2017
Love this show my wife would make fun of me for watching Terrace House then she ended up getting addicted and is sad now that we are caught up.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I didn't enjoy Natsumi's antics, because she was usually the guilty party in conflicts she was involved in.
But that's fine, some people might not be great socially, happens.
What irks me more is Natsumi's fans, praising her for "speaking her mind" and being honest. Listen, that's not always a good thing. Especially not in a roommate environment.

Rahk

Oct 25, 2017
Totally forgot about the commentary when watching Aloha State. Could have made it so much more more bearable. Ugh. Don't think I can go back to watch it a second time just for that.

Remember when they ate that guy's beef? That looked so good. I would have been just as pissed as he was.
Wouldn't have thought the most rememberable moment from one of my favourite TV shows was when some house mates ate someone else's beef.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

I think the announcement was something like mid December for Japan and spring for US. Hope it's wrong though that seems like a long wait for US.

kyorii

Oct 25, 2017
Splatlandia
OMG I didn't this this topic finally happened. So just recently finished Aloha State, and I want to get a Shinuhodo no koi tshirt XD I think for all of its weakness, it was still worth it for the finale. Was very happy with how things worked out for Taishi and Chikako (And they're 8 months strong last I checked on Instagram!) I can see why all the Cheri hate, beyond the dating culture, it was her personality too. The only housemate not to own up to her faults especially in a roommate situation. At least Natsumi came to a resolution to leave or so, but Cheri was doing Cheri.

Watching Boy x Girls Next Door now and just finished Season 1. All around strong crew, Masato was great, and a contrast compared to Guy. (Although Guy is just a plain lovable dork) And getting to see the legend of Seina thus far. I miss the panel commentary, I understand it comes in around Season 3 with w/ Torichan being one of the first to join YOU. Can't wait to see Yamasato/Tokui antics. They(As in the entire panel) made Aloha State that much more enjoyable. It's exciting to know too I could rewatch Aloha State w/ their commentary. More Terrace House to digest! And finally, yes can't wait for the new season next month!

Also some spoilers re: Seina's situation present day.

Seina and Daiki just broke up! Not sure what the actual reason is, there's talk about Daiki cheating though

Last edited: