• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm getting tired of Terrace House. We've seen pretty much all the concept has to offer and the more time passes the more we hear about how scripted the show actually is. Also they need to move on with Seina and stop reinviting her when a new housemate could have been introduced.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I think I'm getting tired of Terrace House. We've seen pretty much all the concept has to offer and the more time passes the more we hear about how scripted the show actually is. Also they need to move on with Seina
This peaked in like 2013-2014 when it was still new. It was everywhere and you had Fuji TV, Yama-chan... publicly talking against that.
Nowadays no one really talks about that aspect (and most viewers don't think think it's 100% natural)

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
The way Triendl said it, they might just change the house and go somewhere else with the same members. That's what they did for the first series Boys & Girls Next Door.
Honestly, to me it felt more like "don't worry, TH isn't completely dead, it's just the end of OND", but I guess it might go both ways.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Honestly, to me it felt more like "don't worry, TH isn't completely dead, it's just the end of OND", but I guess it might go both ways.
You might be right. I feel like they just don't usually announce/tease a new series during the show itself so that's why I interpreted it my way.

Biosnake

Oct 25, 2017
Finally started OND after finishing City and the OG TH. Just got to Mizuki and the chef kid leaving. Wish Mizuki stayed longer but thank god the kid left he was awful. The other 4 are pretty good so far.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE
This peaked in like 2013-2014 when it was still new. It was everywhere and you had Fuji TV, Yama-chan... publicly talking against that.
Nowadays no one really talks about that aspect (and most viewers don't think think it's 100% natural)

They say there's no script at all at the start of every show.

Hai.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
They say there's no script at all at the start of every show.

Hai.
There is no script.

There is editing to create narratives. And perhaps some encouragement from the crew to go on certain dates, or members introduced to get a certain response from other members, like Aya and Taka, or Mai-Mai and Tecchan. Stuff like that.

Last edited:

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
I totally agree that it's annoying when situations are obviously setup but... it's 2018. If after 25+ years of reality TV shows somebody is watching TH and not seeing that production influences the show, I don't know what to say. At least the TH producers avoid the US/UK reality TV model of encouraging drama and trashy behavior at any opportunity.

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
The way Triendl said it, they might just change the house and go somewhere else with the same members. That's what they did for the first series Boys & Girls Next Door.

I hope this is the case. I am still enjoying the cast. Though I suppose that could change in the last handful of episodes. How many could even be left if tt is done at Christmas?

There is likely only one more episode in Part 5, I'm not sure how many are actually left to air in Part 6. Especially if there is the regular 14 day break in between parts. So maybe we get Part 6 starting onthe 4th and get 4 more episodes? How likely is it that we get the last OND episode on the Tuesday of Christmas itself? I doubt it is that unrealistic, eh?

KingKong

Oct 27, 2017
I think its better to think of Terrace House members as living their own lives and then meeting together for the cameras when theres an event or discussion and thats how they're produced/edited. Its kind of obvious considering how many scenes in all the Terrace Houses are of a couple members quietly chitchatting at the table waiting for another member so they can have a proper 'scene'

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Sota, what are you doing. I cringe-laughed so hard during his "smooth date invite". It was SO BAD.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
-Sota just gave so much ammo during that episode, I was howling the whole time.
-I'd rather see Kaito with Yui than Maya.
-Always good to see Shouhei.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
-Sota just gave so much ammo during that episode, I was howling the whole time.
-I'd rather see Kaito with Yui than Maya.
-Always good to see Shouhei.
I was thinking about it and I'm not sure who would be a better fit for Kaito.
If everything what Yui said about her inexperience is true, I honestly don't think he'd be a good fit for her. She seems to want a serious relationship (remember the question card with Noah?) and I don't really think that a kid like him is a good choice. Nothing against him personally, I actually like him.

Oct 27, 2017
I've just finished watching Closing Door.

All I have to say is that I love Yui, Tecchan, Hana, Dyki, hell, even Seina, and also Yo-san (he seemed genuinely happy at last, RIP you sweet man) and everything else.

What a nice conclusion to an amazing run of Terrace House. So many feels. The later seasons couldn't reproduce that awesomeness.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I've just finished watching Closing Door.

All I have to say is that I love Yui, Tecchan, Hana, Dyki, hell, even Seina, and also Yo-san (he seemed genuinely happy at last, RIP you sweet man) and everything else.

What a nice conclusion to an amazing run of Terrace House. So many feels. The later seasons couldn't reproduce that awesomeness.
I think that having so many episodes with members staying a really long time helped it alot. There's a real sense of epic tale. One of the reasons why I wish the Netflix seasons were a tiny bit longer.

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
Just popping in for the first time in a while, need to catch up on the series but I saw the title edit.

There is going to be a part 5? I assumed it'd be 4 parts like the previous series.

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Did you guys catch the part when the chalkboard said Yui was meeting up with Mayu? Is that a YouTube extra video or something? It wasn't in the episode.

WrenchNinja

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I started watching one of these Terrace House shows on Netflix with some friends. The Tokyo one.

Anyway, I'm a few episodes in and is it normal how all of the guys act really skeevy and mean while all the girls are seemingly just taking it? Even the commentators are getting in on the action. Just seems really weird and a lot different from what I heard the show was like.

Spruchy

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I still like it but it lost a lot of it's charm when I realized 90% of the cast are rich spoiled brats.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I still like it but it lost a lot of it's charm when I realized 90% of the cast are rich spoiled brats.
Trying to think about who you're talking about, but I don't remember any member that comes from a wealthy background. The only member that might fit the spoiled brat bill is Noah from OND who seems to be legit rich, but that's it (and even then, he didn't really act like it)

Mike D

Nov 2, 2017
Trying to think about who you're talking about, but I don't remember any member that comes from a wealthy background. The only member that might fit the spoiled brat bill is Noah from OND who seems to be legit rich, but that's it (and even then, he didn't really act like it)

Yeah, everyone I can remember from every season has had to have at least a part-time job to support themselves.

Edit: Mai from the first season was from a rich family. She was working full time as a singer though.

BTW,
Did you catch the part on the chalkboard that said Yui was visiting Mayu? Or did i just imagine that.

Oct 27, 2017
Maimai, Yuudai, Seina

Some of the brands Seina wears would feed my family for generations

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Maimai, Yuudai, Seina

Heh, it's established that Yuudai's family is actually struggling to make the ends meet, and everyone calls him out when he uses his dad's card.

As for Seina, well she's already an adult, and I'm guessing that being in the fashion/modelling industry for so many years wasn't a bad gig, especially with the Terrace House boost.

Kikuchiyosuke

Jan 11, 2018
This episode was so good!
That scene with Sota and Risako was comedy gold. I was laughing just as hard as Risako lol. Why couldn't he just say, "You work in the fashion business, so you might know what glasses suit me. Teach me a thing or two while we find a new pair?"

I don't think he asked her out that way because he's too confident, though. Sota always struck me as a person who's a bit socially awkward but manages to hide it with confidence. His dry humor doesn't help him, too. I guess sarcasm just isn't that popular in Japan?

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
This episode was so good!
That scene with Sota and Risako was comedy gold. I was laughing just as hard as Risako lol. Why couldn't he just say, "You work in the fashion business, so you might know what glasses suit me. Teach me a thing or two while we find a new pair?"

I don't think he asked her out that way because he's too confident, though. Sota always struck me as a person who's a bit socially awkward but manages to hide it with confidence. His dry humor doesn't help him, too. I guess sarcasm just isn't that popular in Japan?
Sarcasm basically doesn't work in Japan as a tool for humor. Most people will just think you're mean.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nothing anyone says will detract from the joy that is Tsu and Shion. NOTHING

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017

This actually comes up early on in Boys & Girls Next Door, so it's not something that's lost on the other roommates. Hana calls out Seina for always having expensive stuff and Seina basically says something like she loves fancy brands and that's just how it is. It's pretty iconic. BGND Seina is amazing.

Also I think Japan in general is just much more label and fashion conscious.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
This actually comes up early on in Boys & Girls Next Door, so it's not something that's lost on the other roommates. Hana calls out Seina for always having expensive stuff and Seina basically says something like she loves fancy brands and that's just how it is. It's pretty iconic. BGND Seina is amazing.

Also I think Japan in general is just much more label and fashion conscious.

So Seina was the original Yuudai? Maybe that's where Yuudai heard that and thought it would go over well when he said it.

Jugendstil

Oct 25, 2017
So Seina was the original Yuudai? Maybe that's where Yuudai heard that and thought it would go over well when he said it.

As far as I know, Seina worked for all her stuff. She doesn't come from a rich family. What I meant is that, culturally, Japanese people will often prioritize owning a piece from a luxury brand as an investment. That attitude is not unique to Japan, but it's definitely more of a thing than it is in the West.

I do think that earlier seasons have set a tone for how cast members dress, but Japanese youth culture has always been pretty fashion forward.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
As far as I know, Seina worked for all her stuff. She doesn't come from a rich family. What I meant is that, culturally, Japanese people will often prioritize owning a piece from a luxury brand as an investment. That attitude is not unique to Japan, but it's definitely more of a thing than it is in the West.

I do think that earlier seasons have set a tone for how cast members dress, but Japanese youth culture has always been pretty fashion forward.

Oh yeah, I definitely wasn't comparing the two. They just seemed to say a very similar thing. Yuddai basically straight up said "I can't help it that the things I like are expensive.".

Guess that would make sense if it is a cultural thing.

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
What a hilarious episode.
I don't know if Sota is just dense or is his pride really getting in a way of his interactions with other people. So much schadenfreude from girls declining his terrible invitations.
I'm honestly very glad he's leaving, while he gave me some laughs, I really dislike people like him, so I'm glad we won't be seeing him again.
The romance situation got interesting, with Kaito leaning towards Maya (who really grew on me, mostly thanks to making fun of Sota and being honest with him) and Aio starting to feel things toward Yui.
I'm curious to see if Yui will keep being interested in Kaito or will Aio change her mind.
Also, I'm totally with Aio on the "using your name when talking about yourself", it drives me up the wall and I'm glad that most people I know don't do it.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Have been watching Boys and Girls in the City and even though I'm not optimistic about their future, episode 14 was really great.

OP
OP
Kurita

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
I marked out
The commentary track was hilarious when they had the "new member is hidden while talking" moment since the whole panel knows who he is, especially Tokui and Yama-chan. Man, I can't get over it lol He's a good dude, so I hope he'll be able to find love.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I like the new members. I feel like this is near the end for Yui though. I'm sorry y'all, but I just love Yui. She has rough patches, but she seems very mature in her work ethic and household duties, and I think she's adorable. With skater boy's feelings seemingly waning, her days are probably numbered.