• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I`ve got a lot on my mind right now, but two stand out to me, one more well-known, one less so.

Let`s start with the less obvious one. Blaze Heatnix, a Maverick from Mega Man X6, looks really cool in his artwork. A phoenix based boss is a great idea to begin with, and the designers nailed the concept.

latest

Or at least the artwork portion. In-game, he`s portrayed as this ugly, small, ketchup-orange regular-ass bird.

latest

I think the terrible choice of color is what makes it so unappealing.

The other, more infamous choice is Link, from A Link to the Past. In artwork, he looks like the Peter Pan knockoff we`ve always known him as. (Added in some fan renditions of his other armors because they were really well done, IMO)

a-link-to-the-past-link.jpg

link_to_the_past_vector_alter_by_plague52x-d5zm81p.jpg

But, in-game, he has... purple hair. For some reason.

2567412-9583629141-Link-.jpg

Why?

What other strange or downright bad transitions from concept art -> sprites (or just in-game representation in general) can you think of?

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I think for Link in ALttP the hair being pink was to distinguish it from the face and brim of the hat. It would look like a mishmash of brown otherwise.

Azuardo

Oct 25, 2017
I have never seen those alt Link artworks before with his different gear in LttP. Very cool.

Can't share images, bit Agahnim in LttP again was a confusing one.

Same for Shadow in FF6. Difficult to tell where his eyes were.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Red Green and Blue sprites basically look like knock-offs of themselves

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
In Power Instinct Matrimelee, Buntaro is supposed to be this menacing looking guy:

In game, this is his sprite:

hqdefault.jpg

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
well there was virtually no way to for amano's stuff to translate to spritework. even the modern renditions are still pretty off. it's why nomura took his job for FF7 when they went 3d

Oct 25, 2017
The Amano stuff seems more like a case of the illustrator embellishing a prototypical/archetypal design rather than the sprite work trying and failing to achieve Amano's style.

OP
OP
SolVanderlyn

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
The Amano stuff seems more like a case of the illustrator embellishing a prototypical/archetypal design rather than the sprite work trying and failing to achieve Amano's style.
Maybe, but regardless of the reasoning, it`s still way different. Sometimes I actually prefer the spritework (Terra`s green hair, Cecil`s Dark Knight armor, Bartz) but sometimes the artwork is superior (Cecil`s Paladin form, Shadow)

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much all the early Final Fantasy games suffer from this problem. Bartz looks like a different character entirely.

latest

Agahnim is an infamous case. I've never been a big fan of the Link to the Past's graphical style due to how weird and miscolored it looks in places. Like...why did they make him green...?

agahnim_by_spacepig22-d5zqpcs.jpg

agahnim_sprite_edited_by_nikori20-d5h4qrj.png

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
Behold the awesome Renegade III box art!

Renegade_3-The_Final_Chapter__FRENCH.jpg

Now, let's see what the main character looks like in-game...

renegade_iii_-_the_final_chapter_04.gif

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Pretty much all the early Final Fantasy games suffer from this problem. Bartz looks like a different character entirely.

latest

Agahnim is an infamous case. I've never been a big fan of the Link to the Past's graphical style due to how weird and miscolored it looks in places. Like...why did they make him green...?

agahnim_by_spacepig22-d5zqpcs.jpg

agahnim_sprite_edited_by_nikori20-d5h4qrj.png

while aghanim sprite is really different from the original art, i really never saw him as this green pokey, lmao

cervanky

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ridley from Metroid (NES)
latest

latest

And they stuck with the much more boring dragon design ever since.

I like some of the fanart renditions of his classic look:
hXdFVJX.png

well there was virtually no way to for amano's stuff to translate to spritework. even the modern renditions are still pretty off. it's why nomura took his job for FF7 when they went 3d
1517301251788333.gif

It can be done now! I'd love an FF game that looked like this....

Last edited:

Guipradi

Nov 29, 2017
Ispagnia
Watching the thread, there are some nice things here. Also. I think Link's hair was pink due to palette restrictions(?) But I think it's due to differentiate him from the background.

SusumuStreet

Jan 2, 2018
Link to the Past sprite had deliberately pink hair, I think to separate it from all the other yellow and brown parts of his outfit? Here are little models that show it's deliberate:
DPortwr.png

Also, it's a different pink color than any of the pinks used in his bunny version, so it wasn't about reusing a palette. There are mockups people have made with his hair recolored to blond and brown, but it all blends into his costume and the backgrounds when there's brown dirt or wood colors.

Last edited:

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
Link to the Past sprite had deliberately pink hair, I think to separate it from all the other yellow and brown parts of his outfit? Here are little models that show it's deliberate:

DPortwr.png

Also, it's a different pink color than any of the pinks used in his bunny version, so it wasn't about reusing a palette. There are mockups people have made with his hair recolored to blond and brown, but it all blends into his costume and the backgrounds when there's brown dirt or wood colors.

I've seen these models before and really like them. I actually think pink hair Link is a funny and kinda cool design, it's just that the sprite work for A Link to the Past is still kinda fugly looking IMO.

I would very much enjoy a Claymation-style Zelda game with Link looking like those little models.

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen these models before and really like them. I actually think pink hair Link is a funny and kinda cool design, it's just that the sprite work for A Link to the Past is still kinda fugly looking IMO.

I would very much enjoy a Claymation-style Zelda game with Link looking like those little models.
Claymation Mario, Claymation Zelda, Claymation Metroid. Cmon Ninty, isn't that hard to make.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
The problem with the Amano artwork is that virtually all his female characters are blond. So when they made the sprites for the game they wanted her to have a different hair colour and chose green.

Ysarus

Oct 27, 2017
According to Art & Artifacts, Zelda official art was created by an external (anime) studio back then (from the spritework, not the other way around), so that explains why it looks so different.

I guess that was the most common way of doing things when you had to draw small sprites in a low resolution: there was no need for ultra-detailed concept art, but promotional art was there to stimulate players' imaginations.