• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I see he is on the part of the cycle where he retweets random people that support him

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
I still believe that Crews is a genuinely good guy, but just kind of an idiot too. He seems to go hard with his views, which is why he was celebrated in the first place, since a lot of people were down with what he was saying. Unfortunately he is demonstrating how that can also make you look damn foolish when you don't want to just let something go after taking a big L.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Are there not people in this very thread swearing at him?
Are there? You tell me, I asked you for examples. And even if that was the case, it's comments on an anonymous gaming forum that he will probably never even see, and you can't appropriately judge the emotional response of any given individual without being in their own mind. A completely calm and collected person can curse and it doesn't mean they are "exploding", that word implies an anger or reaction beyond control.

starpower

The Fallen
Jan 23, 2018
Canada
I also grew up without a father and was raised by a same-sex couple, and it has affected me in a negative way rather significantly I'm afraid, but that doesn't mean that such a thing will happen to every man.
84ctgvB.gif

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
I've said a lot of "yikes" opinions in the past and I've listed and read a lot of bad takes from otherwise great people, including my parents and friends and even pretty woke people.

We can't get mad or cancel people outright and out of context either.

I've had this discussion with close friends and family of mine, about same sex parents and if it matters that a kid grows up without either traditional "figure." The obvious answer is yes, I tell them, since there are millions of orphans that turn out great, millions of people who turn out great after being raised by a single parent and millions and millions of people who are terrible people and had a father and mother when growing up.

Lacking a traditional father or mother figure can, maybe, affect you in some way, but no more so than hundreds of other factors when growing up and study after study has shown that the gender of a parent isn't as important as we thought.

Terry has really bought into the idea that having a good father is essential due to his experience with his own shitty father. It's understandable, and a therapist probably reaffirmed that he basically suffered for years from "daddy issues," since it's still standard in psychology to teach this, despite evidence from same sex parenting that this isn't necessary true.

But we as a society are slowly understanding that we suffer "parent issues", not mommy or daddy issues.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can definitely appreciate trying to change society for the better, and yes, he's wrong and definitely deserves to be called out. I was referring more to the rage - I feel as though it should be possible to make a point without needing to explode on someone, that's all.

And I am definitely not a burner account - I apologize if I've offended anyone in this thread, that was not my intention.

You've been a member for a whole year and you choose this thread to make your first post about how two women raising you had a negative impact. Yeah right...

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Yep. I'll say it again and hopefully people internalize and process it this time:

"Don't let the perfect become the enemy of the good."

Hopefully Terry does better on this subject, and if people give him some space and opportunity, he probably will. Until then, people need to chill. You're frustrated. He's frustrated. He means well and that will bear fruit eventually. Don't stomp out the potential for growth because you don't think it's happening fast enough. Who was the last person you know that had a meaningful change in a week's time? Nobody. People require time. You guys can be hard-headed and mad at everyone and everything, or you can plant seeds of improvement and come back to enjoy harvest time down the road.

That's how real growth and change works, people, and everyone -- including you -- are undoubtedly in need of growth and change on a variety of subjects in your life (you know, the ones you don't talk about much). I hope the people around you give you the time, space, support and patience you'll need to grow up and out of your flaws, shortcomings and life's mis-educations.
If you could stop telling minorities that they should just deal with oppression so as not to upset the status quo that'd be fan-fucking-tastic.

PSqueak

Oct 25, 2017
I also grew up without a father and was raised by a same-sex couple, and it has affected me in a negative way rather significantly I'm afraid, but that doesn't mean that such a thing will happen to every man.

If "My lesbian moms were shitty parents" was a good argument, no heterosexaul couple would be ever allowed to raise kids given the number of shitty heterosexual parents in the world.

Apr 19, 2018
Are there? You tell me, I asked you for examples. And even if that was the case, it's comments on an anonymous gaming forum that he will probably never even see, and you can't appropriately judge the emotional response of any given individual without being in their own mind. A completely calm and collected person can curse and it doesn't mean they are "exploding", that word implies an anger or reaction beyond control.
If you are looking for literal posts, then numbers 11 and 24, although I think that is besides the point. In regards to your second point, yes, it is hard to tell online, because there is no inflection of speech to hear, no body language to read. All I can go by is the text, and it seemed to me that there is significant anger in those posts. I just stated that I wished there were less anger in this world, however I know that is an idealistic view.

I can assure you that I most definitely was, and I've been bullied and judged my whole life for it.

There were issues with my account validation, and it was only just corrected a short time ago.

As for everyone else - I see that I am derailing the thread, so I apologize. I will go away.

Oct 26, 2017
Terry should take his own advice:
"He feels like he's being attacked," Crews said during an interview on BuzzFeed News' Twitter morning show AM to DM. "But the truth is, he's not."

"The truth is, Kevin, you're not being attacked," Crews continued. "The truth is you have to just acknowledge what went on and acknowledge the pain of other people. That's all anybody's asking for. That's it."

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Between his insistence on playing ignorant as to what people are actually saying, how deep the homophobia and gross the ideas that he's boosting are, and how dramatically whiny people are about others finding those things distasteful, I don't know what's more yawn-inducing.
If you could stop telling minorities that they should just deal with oppression so as not to upset the status quo that'd be fan-fucking-tastic.
It's sad how pathetically low the bar has become.
If "My lesbian moms were shitty parents" was a good argument, no heterosexaul couple would be ever allowed to raise kids given the number of shitty heterosexual parents in the world.
Critical thinking is truly dead, unfortunately.

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want Terry cancelled (do people say this unironically?). I just want him to not say stupid shit.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Obviously he made a mistake to say something like that - you cannot make blanket statements about, well, anything really, because circumstances are always different - no two lives will ever be the same. The question becomes as to whether to accept his apology and forgive him.

Otherwise, again, humanity shows its finest colours by piling on. There is so much anger in this world - I don't understand it, and I don't think I ever will.

I was raised by a mum and a dad who did a pretty crummy job.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't understand the angle of this sort of thinking at all.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
terry: *homophobia*

lgbt peeps: terry's statements are extremely hurtful and play into homophobic rhetoric, and the context of him coming from a community where incarceration of fathers does not change the fact that he's still shitting on gay people. also he has said homophobic and transphobic things in the past. i'm tired of giving him second chances when he has shown no sign of changing.

cishets: ugh GOD cancel culture is so ANNOYING can't you gays just SHUT UP

And it's not even surprising anymore! It's just become utterly predictable how people will throw us

under the bus

every single time

whenever it's someone They liked or someone They respected who doesn't accidentally fuck up, who fucks up and then triples down on it showing it was no accident, it wasn't unintentional, it was what they genuinely believed. It's treated as just a mistake because it was directed to us, so it's forgivable. 8 pages not over the course of a day or two, but over a full month of people seeing this guy say this shit again and again and again and again and going "oh well" or "let me tell you how actually you're not affected by this" like we haven't seen it before, haven't said it before, and haven't made threads about how harmful and fatal the rhetoric is to us before. It's fucking exhausting

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Obviously he made a mistake to say something like that - you cannot make blanket statements about, well, anything really, because circumstances are always different - no two lives will ever be the same. The question becomes as to whether to accept his apology and forgive him.

Otherwise, again, humanity shows its finest colours by piling on. There is so much anger in this world - I don't understand it, and I don't think I ever will.
Fuck off