• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't disagree that there is a benefit to having both maternal and paternal love in your life, but it certainly does not have to be from a heterosexual parental unit. And I don't think he was saying that. As someone that raised a little boy mostly by himself there was a huge benefit to the interactions he had with my mother.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Why do people insist on doubling down on topics they don't know? Terry is not a family psychologist, so why the fuck is he slamming his opinion and "nutrition" metaphors around like it has any weight? You're wrong, Terry.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Its definitely poorly worded but I do think that's what he's getting at and I'd agree in general.

It is possible to get the paternal influences from anywhere but considering his age and how family dynamics were vastly gendered when he was growing up, I'd say the likelihood of not gaining certain wisdoms is increased if you didnt have a father figure in your home. And for many black men, because paternal influences can indeed come from anywhere, they're unfortunately coming from folks on the street who don't have any love. This is still happening today.

People can't just ignore the racial context that sparked this situation.

Right. I've been debating whether to wade into this one since it seems like the kind of thread where people catch bans, but Terry isn't entirely off base.
I'm looking at the tweet that says this:

if a successful black man can't advise the black male youth of the next generation, who will? THE STREET, That's who.

he's...not wrong here. There have been studies done over and over and over that hammer this point home.

The school is a second home to K-12 students, and black boys don't have many role models who look the way that they do. Black males make up just 2 percent of the K-12 school teacher population. Less than 20 percent of U.S. teachers are not white even though minority students combined make up a majority of K-12 students. It's not that educators who are female and white can't have a positive impact on the lives of their students - they certainly can and do. There's a difference between a teacher who has a different life viewpoint than you and a true role model. Black boys need to see adults like them who are high school graduates, have college degrees, are successful in the workplace, and who aren't incarcerated. If that adult also happens to be a teacher, even better. How do we make that happen though in a school landscape that is a far cry from it right now?

https://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/edu..._crisis_the_lack_of_positive_role_models.html

A father's involvement can go a long way toward contributing to a child's social and academic development. Children who bond early with their fathers (or father figures), in fact, often possess sharper cognitive skills, are better problem-solvers and perform more strongly in school, putting them at an advantage over children with distant or absent dads.

And the male in question doesn't have to be the biological father in order for kids to benefit. He can be an adoptive father, stepdad or other adult male in the household. Nor does a male role model have to live with a child in order to make an impact. He simply has to be a consistent caring presence who takes delight in being a part of that child's life, such as a grandfather, uncle or older brother; coach or teacher; or youth pastor or other spiritual advisor.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article213061544.html

The study concludes that the inclusion of adult African American male role models would be beneficial in breaking the cyclical pattern that African American males are caught up in, and which often results in their involvement in crime, drug abuse, and incarceration. The study also concludes that the implementation of mentoring programs in schools, as well as other institutions that serve this population, may clearly have a positive effect on both their identity development and their life goals. This study further concludes that mentoring by individuals from their local communities, with whom the youth find similarities, will be especially helpful. The presence of African American adult males in the lives of African American adolescent males will demonstrate to this disadvantaged population that the possibilities of success in this country are far more viable than they may otherwise believe, and that the negative stereotypes and images that are portrayed by the media in American society do not necessarily have to be applicable to them.

https://scholarworks.smith.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2351&context=theses

My interpretation of what Terry is saying is that same sex parenting is fine, but for boys in general and African American males SPECIFICALLY lack of a positive father figure does real, lasting damage and in the absence of a parental father figure (whether it be a biological one, or an adoptive one like a mentor, teacher, or religious figure) there will be a tendency to SEEK ONE OUT and often times that "father figure" is a bad influence from the street. These kids need to be set up with positive male role models because there is a real need to see successful, positive influences that look like them and can guide them. Without those influences these kids end up worse off.

He could have phrased this differently as it came off wildly offensive, but he's not entirely wrong. Young African American boys need positive male figures, and unlike non-minority males there is a serious lack of them both in the family, the workplace, and the school system.

Last edited:

Coxy

Oct 28, 2017
But is he wrong? I am not trying to defend any stance that is against same sex parenting, however I do feel it has to be acceptable to some degree to argue heterosexual parenting is more beneficial instead of shutting down any discussion whatsoever. What I mean is, there indeed is a difference between a mothers love and a fathers love, and that difference allows a child to experience both sides of the same coin to eventually mature with a more complete outlook on the world, which is not something that can be said for same sex parents. I am wholly ignorant on the topic so correct me to whatever degree I need to be corrected on.
Mods - Seems wrong to ban this poster considering he acknowledges that he is ignorant on the topic ? Rather than banning shouldn't we be educating?

Anyway on topic - damnit Terry, why did you have to have these views :(

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
:(

I'm guessing he still has issues due to the abuse he received from his father growing up. Unfortunate, you were doing so well Terry.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yikes! Terry, what are you doing?

He had all this support from his metoo story and now he comes out and says stupid shit like this?

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Why do people insist on doubling down on topics they don't know? Terry is not a family psychologist, so why the fuck is he slamming his opinion and "nutrition" metaphors around like it has any weight? You're wrong, Terry.

Because the concept of family is something virtually every one would have an opinion about.

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
He could have phrased this differently as it came off wildly offensive, but he's not entirely wrong. Young African American boys need positive male figures, and unlike non-minority males there is a serious lack of them both in the family, the workplace, and the school system.

You know what the greatest irony about this is?

From the time the first African landed in America, there has been a systematic destruction of the African American father child relationship.

Slavery- Families were deliberately separated to prevent strong bonds from forming. There was also the fact that slave unions (unless ordained by the master for breeding purposes) were frowned upon. I'm not saying that black women didn't suffer under this regime as well. They also lost their children at a rate that was far too high but they were sometimes allowed to at least form a bond with the child before it was sold.

Post Slavery- Lynchings and Jim Crow

Civil rights Era- Positive black male role models were outright murdered (Fred Hampton) or jailed.

70s till now. Everyone asking where are the black fathers? I'm not even touching the war on drugs and mass incarceration because I think its a result of everything that came before. The kids of the 70s and 80s had to grow up in an environment where almost every positive black figure who tried to change the community for the better was murdered or locked up. How things were back then wasn't a big surprise.

The black community has 400+ years of systematic erasure of the black family to combat in order to solve this problem.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
Cancel culture is getting really out of hand.

I'm not referring to folks that are upset by his comments but I'm referring to the "fuck him, he's cancelled" reactions.

What I'm ok with, what I hope for is:

1. Someone says something stupid
2. They get called on it.
3. Sometimes they get defensive or reactive but hopefully take some time to think it over
4. They respond by admitting to their ignorance or their mistake, they want to learn
5. Their subsequent behavior begins to demonstrate a more thoughtful approach

Often, 5 doesn't happen. But I also don't agree with the "instant cancel" approach that we've been taking more and more. Many people deserve exile but I don't want to push people away before that opportunity for growth can happen.

I don't agree with Terry's comment about same sex couples but his other suggestion that it's important for a child to have positive role models of mutliple genders would have resonated more if he had been more considerate with his messaging.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
You know what the greatest irony about this is?

From the time the first African landed in America, there has been a systematic destruction of the African American father child relationship.

Slavery- Families were deliberately separated to prevent strong bonds from forming. There was also the fact that slave unions (unless ordained by the master for breeding purposes) were frowned upon.
Post Slavery- Lynchings and Jim Crow
Civil rights Era- Positive black male role models were outright murdered (Fred Hampton) or jailed.

70s till now. Everyone asking where are the black fathers? I'm not even touching the war on drugs and mass incarceration because I think its a result of everything that came before.

The black community has 400+ years of systematic erasure of the black family to combat in order to solve this problem.

Right. I don't know what your background is, but mine is obvious as is Terry's. We're both coming from a place where these things are obvious and go without saying. I'm reading those tweets and immediately understanding that there is a vast dearth of positive black male role models in the schools, families, and community. Often by design (war on drugs, war on crime, over-policing, etc) and the lack of those male role models has done SERIOUS damage. I don't think most of Era "gets" this right off the bat, because if you're a white male, asian male, or hispanic male this isn't your reality.

You CANNOT separate Terry's comments from the reality of racial injustice and inequality in America, and Terry specifically pointed out he was talking about black males in his tweets.

Selbran

Oct 25, 2017
Mods - Seems wrong to ban this poster considering he acknowledges that he is ignorant on the topic ? Rather than banning shouldn't we be educating?

Anyway on topic - damnit Terry, why did you have to have these views :(
I don't think it's fair to drop something so homophobic and then just claim ignorance to any backlash. If you're ignorant on the subject at hand don't wade into it with shitty homophobic opinions.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
Anyone can but he rightfully points out that men need to and they more often than not, do not.

Right. and we don't live in sex or gender blind society. If the "holding accountable" language isn't coming from men, or men are a small minority of voices those things DEFINITELY get noticed by the people who need to be hearing it the most.

It is necessary for men to be engaged and stay engaged if there is to be any progress. It can't be an "anyone" issue, it has to be an "everyone" issue.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Because the concept of family is something virtually every one would have an opinion about.

Doesn't justify why he tries to speak as an authority on what children need as "maternal" or "paternal" love without defining or citing why or what that is.

If my husband and I have children, we will be able to offer a two parent household to a child that seamlessly offers nurturing found in any gender role. I don't need to be a woman to offer that. If he can't get that, he can fuck off. In fact, I wonder what kind of BENEFIT can come from being raised in a household that doesn't conform to gender roles and stereotypes. Maybe my kid could grow up to be the adult they want to be, and when it's time for them to date or buy their own clothes, they won't have a template imposed on them for what to be.

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Anyone can but he rightfully points out that men need to and they more often than not, do not.
It's normally a fine talking point, but the fact that it's preceded by:

"Another thing that bothers me is that this OP-ED was written by a WOMAN about how how boys should be taught to grow into successful young men. How would she know?"

Doesn't put it in the same light

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhhh, he's had a few stumbles but at least he's seemed willing to learn in the past. I hope this time is no exception.

Where has he shown this? I keep going back to that awful transrace comment, and I remember him saying he would educate himself but never elaborating while leaving up the original take.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

That's not at all what he 'rightfully' points out. He points out that she's a woman and she CANNOT know. He's not saying criticism would be better coming from a man. He's saying she can't criticize.

Which is fucking stupid as women have been living with the consequences of poorly raised men for a long time. They can criticize all they want. Men should be there too in the conversation, but if they back out then the conversation still needs to happen.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There's actual data on this luckily.

Doesn't support your claims on single gender two parent households Terry.

Oct 25, 2017
People are seriously angry at the opinion that it's *better* --- not *necessary* -- to have parenting from two genders? Isn't the whole point of gender that there are real differences, and wouldn't it obviously be the case that it's better (not necessary) to get both kinds of parenting?

There is no evidence of this. Any such notion that there is a deficit for children in same-sex couples is pseudoscience.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Where has he shown this? I keep going back to that awful transrace comment, and I remember him saying he would educate himself but never elaborating while leaving up the original take.

That was actually what I was referring to. I thought he had admitted how wrong he was in his thinking, but I'll defer to you. I'm not the community he needs to prove it to.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Everyone has their blind spots. Terry Crews seems like a legitimately kind and caring guy, despite this one opinion he seems to have that I don't agree with.

I'm tired of trying to "cancel" everyone for these kind of benign opinions. He obviously is a big proponent of the classic nuclear family, and frankly that's his right. He is far from spouting hate here, albeit the poor wording on his part.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
That's not at all what he 'rightfully' points out. He points out that she's a woman and she CANNOT know. He's not saying criticism would be better coming from a man. He's saying she can't criticize.

Which is fucking stupid as women have been living with the consequences of poorly raised men for a long time. They can criticize all they want. Men should be there too in the conversation, but if they back out then the conversation still needs to happen.

Did you actually read that OP-ED? It's seriously problematic to the point of being offensive.

Yet Michelle's husband (as he introduced himself at the town hall) uses My Brother's Keeper to change life outcomes for boys of colors. But its solution to financial insecurity and the racist violence that led to Trayvon's murder are the same: community mentorship. This pales in comparison to reparations or any major social or legislative intervention that justice requires.

Obama was speaking to a room full of black boys about the black male experience, and she dismissed it as "scolding." She is completely dismissive of mentorship entirely in favor of reparations and legislative intervention.

"If you are really confident about your financial situation," Mr. Obama told the crowd, "you are probably not going to be wearing a eight-pound chain around your neck."
"Because you know," he continued, "'Oh, I got a bank account.' I don't have to show you how much I got. I feel good."

His comments disappointed me because they're part of problematic practices, like calling out black children for having ghetto names like mine or wearing Air Jordans. Such remarks by Mr. Obama reflect his administration's failure, and to an extent that of My Brother's Keeper, to tackle the systemic inequality that shapes black people's lives in America.

She equates obama warning against materialism to "calling out black children for having ghetto names." She claims his remarks "reflect his administrations failure to tackle systemic inequality." This is...a laughably terrible take that ignores all context, and willfully so.

Boys are probably stressed by the idea that they should already be confident about their sexuality as teenagers, or that a healthy sexuality exists between only a man and a "strong woman." Not eight nameless, faceless women who twerk around a man.

Ms. Purnell seeks to "guess" about what black boys may or may not be stressed about, when she has no idea at all about the black male experience. She's quick to hit obama over "lecturing" in favor of what she feels would be preferable as a black woman who went to harvard. She's dismissive of mentorship, claiming she sees no benefit and legislative initiatives would be better. She's WILDLY off base here, and not speaking from a place she has any expertise or experience.

"How would she know?" is correct. Purnell is attempting to correct Obama on *HOW TO SPEAK TO BLACK BOYS ABOUT THE BLACK EXPERIENCE* claiming she knows better, when she has absolutely no clue about what any of those boys go through. "How would she know?" Is the only proper response as she's speaking from a place of ignorance, not expertise and she's doing it in the NYT, not on twitter.

Last edited:

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This. You give a person elevation for one thing and they start thinking that they need to be heard on everything. Crews has had so many good points about sexual harassment that he thinks he needs to heard about everything that he knows nothing about, which just exposes him. Hero worship is a mistake, Twitter is a mistake, listen and learn and stay in in your lane.

Feb 15, 2018
giphy.gif

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Right. I've been debating whether to wade into this one since it seems like the kind of thread where people catch bans, but Terry isn't entirely off base.
I'm looking at the tweet that says this:

he's...not wrong here. There have been studies done over and over and over that hammer this point home.

https://blogs.edweek.org/edweek/edu..._crisis_the_lack_of_positive_role_models.html

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/education/article213061544.html

https://scholarworks.smith.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2351&context=theses

My interpretation of what Terry is saying is that same sex parenting is fine, but for boys in general and African American males SPECIFICALLY lack of a positive father figure does real, lasting damage and in the absence of a parental father figure (whether it be a biological one, or an adoptive one like a mentor, teacher, or religious figure) there will be a tendency to SEEK ONE OUT and often times that "father figure" is a bad influence from the street. These kids need to be set up with positive male role models because there is a real need to see successful, positive influences that look like them and can guide them. Without those influences these kids end up worse off.

Right. I don't know what your background is, but mine is obvious as is Terry's. We're both coming from a place where these things are obvious and go without saying. I'm reading those tweets and immediately understanding that there is a vast dearth of positive black male role models in the schools, families, and community. Often by design (war on drugs, war on crime, over-policing, etc) and the lack of those male role models has done SERIOUS damage. I don't think most of Era "gets" this right off the bat, because if you're a white male, asian male, or hispanic male this isn't your reality.

You CANNOT separate Terry's comments from the reality of racial injustice and inequality in America, and Terry specifically pointed out he was talking about black males in his tweets.

You know, I wanna say that your posts here havd really changed my mind.

My dad was a deadbeat, but I would latch onto a whole range of positive role models throughout my teen years. Those role models existed for me to teach me what a good man was. Role models that minorities don't have. And I understand what he was trying to say, that children of two lesbians for example, still need male role models elsewhere.

However, I will say you also explained it a billion times better than Terry. It's hard not to look at the deleted tweet in the OP and think he was dispariging gay parents, and his defensiveness doesn't help as he isn't explaining himself.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
This just happened....humans make mistake and can learn from them. The cancel culture is weird - even the best and most positive person can be wrong on issues or not find the right words to express.

I'll never understand how people can champion a person for years and want to end him the second he makes a mistake.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Did you actually read that OP-ED? It's seriously problematic to the point of being offensive.

Obama was speaking to a room full of black boys about the black male experience, and she dismissed it as "scolding." She is completely dismissive of mentorship entirely in favor of reparations and legislative intervention.

She equates obama warning against materialism to "calling out black children for having ghetto names." She claims his remarks "reflect his administrations failure to tackle systemic inequality." This is...a laughably terrible take that ignores all context, and willfully so.

Ms. Purnell seeks to "guess" about what black boys may or may not be stressed about, when she has no idea at all about the black male experience. She's quick to hit obama over "lecturing" in favor of what she feels would be preferable as a black woman who went to harvard. She's WILDLY off base here, and not speaking from a place she has any expertise or experience.

"How would she know?" is correct.

Yes I read the op-ed and it's really not that different to what I read in Ta-Nehisi Coates' book We Were Eight Years in Power. Obama's outright almost dismissal of any sort of economic or systematic issue facing the black community is pretty well documented and talked about among black men, too. Part of that is political. Obama talking about reparations or something even remotely similar gets him in a lot of trouble. Obama talking about issues that white people can agree on is fine, though.

I think the author hits on an amazing point when she talks about the community just making "better" Trayvon Martins.