• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Saya

Oct 25, 2017
He has since deleted the tweet.

D0r9ExCWwAAT6wx.jpg

D0zRiisVAAAwYdU.jpg

D0zRiirU0AA-oje.jpg

D0zRiiuVYAAHKqy.jpg

I think it's worth pointing out in the OP that this is how this whole ordeal started.

Last edited:

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly he's said a ton of other gross things these past few days even beyond that tweet. Dude is managing to spout sexist, homophobic, AND gender essentialist shit all of a sudden.

His dismissive attitude and double down in the face of people's pain is seriously so disappointing. Some of the stuff he said really hit me along with many others and not in a good way. Doesn't help that he's been stringing this along for days now.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
He deleted the malnourished tweet but doubled down on his weird nuclear family rant multiple times. Ok Terry

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
He seems to be apologizing for the wording, not the intent, which still seems to be that children need a father and a mother in order to get proper love.

Which I disagree with.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
I stopped paying attention to him after his prior transphobic remarks. Transphobia tends to be an indicator people are also homophobic.

Ironic given his criticism of toxic masculinity that he is upholding those toxic values himself.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Really sucks that even the best celebrities/ popular people eventually show the harmful things that they believe in and will not back down from.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The tweet where he tells a woman that women's equality is the truth, not a movement and ignores the rest of her tweet was SO BAD

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
I'm not agreeing with him but I grew up without a father and I'm sure it had an affect on me one way or another, for better or worse I'll never know.

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
As a pansexual, I personally accept his apology, that he acknowledges his wording was wrong and hurtful. However, he's said several other... Questionable things in past regarding LGBTQ people that I can only hope he really is trying to learn, rather than save his ass while still holding backwards views.

Basically if he keeps fucking up I might not forgive him again, and I can't blame any LGBTQ person who already has.

I kinda get what he intended to say, but God does it actually come across way different and way worse.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
User Banned (1 Month): Rationalising homophobic rhetoric
But is he wrong? I am not trying to defend any stance that is against same sex parenting, however I do feel it has to be acceptable to some degree to argue heterosexual parenting is more beneficial instead of shutting down any discussion whatsoever. What I mean is, there indeed is a difference between a mothers love and a fathers love, and that difference allows a child to experience both sides of the same coin to eventually mature with a more complete outlook on the world, which is not something that can be said for same sex parents. I am wholly ignorant on the topic so correct me to whatever degree I need to be corrected on.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Man I'm glad Terry is against toxic masculinity and sexual harassment of both Male and female and especially bringing light to harassment done to men

But nah this is a shitty take

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
The fuck is this shit ??? Really Terry , especially with all the LGBT people you for sure work with in Hollywood. Fucking reaaally?

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he just say that children need both male and female role models in their life?

zektbach

Oct 28, 2017
Everybody calm down, he's just campaigning for tri-parental relationships. The man/woman who donated his/her sperm/egg should be expected to remain nanny for life to the donated couples who could not biologically conceive a child ...

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I suppose paternal love can be offered by a female parental figure, but that's just an assumption. I wouldn't know, and I have no knowledge whatsoever about the psychological/sociological dynamics involved, but you'd be damn sure I'd put some time and research into it before I make a statement like Crews did, and probably wouldn't do it in a tweet either. Not a good look, Terry.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
But is he wrong? I am not trying to defend any stance that is against same sex parenting, however I do feel it has to be acceptable to some degree to argue heterosexual parenting is more beneficial instead of shutting down any discussion whatsoever. What I mean is, there indeed is a difference between a mothers love and a fathers love, and that difference allows a child to experience both sides of the same coin to eventually mature with a more complete outlook on the world, which is not something that can be said for same sex parents. I am wholly ignorant on the topic so correct me to whatever degree I need to be corrected on.

I grew up without a father and I came out just as good as any other person, if not better.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
Yep. Transphobia is almost always just the surface indicator for other, less socially acceptable beliefs. But nobody wanted to listen when he did that "those trans weirdos are like Rachel Dolezal" shit.
Yeah - and the sad thing is people rarely care when transphobia happens. The amount of threads made for when celebrities are blatantly homophobic are way higher than the amount of threads for transphobia (and let me tell you - those incidents are pretty damn frequent, especially in the UK and US). I'm seeing people on twitter that leftists respect casually supporting transphobic comedians, politicians, and writers and then they get snippy when they get called out on it. Barely anyone here even talks about the military ban any more. It feels so lovely being dehumanised! Transphobia is the most/only acceptable hatred for a lot of people, and that sucks.

Oct 25, 2017
Barack Obama turned out alright.

And I am sure there are countless other examples.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
I'd rather have grown up with a second mom than a father who barely showed affection, who'd only show anger or mockery if he wasn't ignoring us, who would often pretend he'd drive off a cliffside road when he was pissed off during a long drive.

But I'd never seek out an ex-footballer as a great philosopher either. After all their brain gets a rich and healthy diet of
wholesome concussions.

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's a case where his wording was wrong to begin with (love is indeed not gendered, but he was probably trying to refer to paternal and maternal role modelling instead of love), but once people jumped on him he doubled down and it all led to this.

Pretty dumb comment, as many people have grown to be good human beings but were brought up in households where role modelling was terrible or non-existent.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He's a black dude who grew up in flint and his father was an alcoholic who was abusive to him and his mom. She practically raised him by herself. He also grew up seeing a lot of kids that look like him in similar single parent households struggle just the same as he. He was also probably reminded of this in the media he consumed growing. He probably told himself that he's not gonna be like his father when he has children and he'll be there for him. Of course a man like that would think father hood is important.

That said him throwing Same sex parents under the bus like that is wack as fuck

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I'd rather have grown up with a second mom than a father who barely showed affection, who'd only show anger or mockery if he wasn't ignoring us, who would often pretend he'd drive off a cliffside road when he was pissed off during a long drive.

But I'd never seek out an ex-footballer as a great philosopher either. After all their brain gets a rich and healthy diet of
wholesome concussions.

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately, shitty parenting can come from any person - male, female, LGBT+ and anything in between. I think Terry is a bit naive in thinking that kids need male role models to function properly. Sure, a good male role model can be a huge benefit, but a bad one can also ruin lives.

Good parenting is the most important part here, doesn't really matter who they are. Kids will find other role models in society and extended family if they need to, as well.

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017

My thoughts exactly. God Damnit.

Yes, he and you are *wrong*.

There is no evidence at all that same sex couples raise their children any less effectively than heterosexual couples.

Everyone's different and let's face it, the divorce rate in western society is high enough to show that for many children, 2 parents throughout their upbringing isn't the reality for a lot of them.

You do not become a better or more complete parent by having an opposite gender parent with you. It's all down to the individual. There's no inherent advantage to heterosexual couples in this regard at all.

I can understand why people might feel this way, but it's completely wrong.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worth pointing out in the OP that this is how this whole ordeal started. Notice the date of FEBRUARY 24!