Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
https://www.nme.com/news/tv/terry-gilliam-black-lesbian-bbc-comedy-2350000#d9J6oQftMmx8BaWx.99

aykcrekhsmjvt4ygtiqy.jpg

Terry Gilliam has responded to the unveiling of the BBC's new comedy programming, which, according to the BBC's controller of comedy commissioning Shane Allen, aims to commit to 'the stories that haven't been told and the voices we haven't yet heard'.

During a press conference about the new sitcoms and shows, Allen was asked about Monty Python's Flying Circus. "If you're going to assemble a team now, it's not going to be six Oxbridge white blokes. It's going to be a diverse range of people who reflect the modern world," he replied.

And this is where Terry jumps in...

"It made me cry: the idea that … no longer six white Oxbridge men can make a comedy show. Now we need one of this, one of that, everybody represented… this is bullshit. I no longer want to be a white male, I don't want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world: I tell the world now I'm a black lesbian… My name is Loretta and I'm a BLT, a black lesbian in transition. His statement made me so angry, all of us so angry. Comedy is not assembled, it's not like putting together a boy band where you put together one of this, one of that everyone is represented."

John Cleese jumps in...

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
pull your head in gilliam

honestly cleese makes a really good point and manages to do so in a way that isn't being a massive wanker

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Jeez some old white people just aren't built for the modern world. Guess that's what happens when you're raised to believe everything can and should belong to people just like you.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
People from Oxbridge dominate more than ever, the country has managed to go backwards somehow.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well this is depressing to see comedians I loved to do this garbage.

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
I still like you terry but you're old af. Know when to shut up.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I no longer want to be a white male, I don't want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world: I tell the world now I'm a black lesbian… My name is Loretta and I'm a BLT, a black lesbian in transition

You're playing on easy mode, buddy. You sure you want to up the difficulty THAT much?

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
It's telling when some white people view inclusion not as "these people can now do what I can do," but "I can't do what I've always been able to,simply because someone else can."

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Aren't you reading in A LOT in those quotes there?
I'm speaking to what it's like to grow up with white privilege. You don't necessarily think these possessive thoughts consciously, but your norms are shaped by your surroundings, so that seeing white people everywhere in everything just feels right.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
If the BBC said it wouldn't consider pitches from white people, I may understand his point, but they're not.

It's also not the 70s, there are tons of BBC channels, more than enough that the oppressed middle class white men can still get stuff on the air I'm sure.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jeez some old white people just aren't built for the modern world. Guess that's what happens when you're raised to believe everything can and should belong to people just like you.
Old people from any previous generation just aren't built for any modern period.

Let's just say in the future today's youth might end up hating gene splicers, and clones.

deli

Oct 25, 2017
The main takeway from this, apart from the grumpy old white dude stuff obviously, is the fact that Gilliam feels sketch comedy is too diverse these days. Like, what is he even watching? In both a live circuit and televised sense sketch comedy is still mostly white, middle class, male, oxbridge folk. Like the reason the BBC commisoner is even making these comments is because of how laughably skewed the entire scene is.

For reference, I recently participated in the UK Student Comedy Festival, during the sketch portion there were around 40 performers from 9 universities, 2 were non-white, 2.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I like the juxtaposition of both reactions. Shows how much people like Gilliam choose to play the victim.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Go fuck yourself, Gilliam, you old and out of touch wanker.

Monty Python's Flying Circus is absolute genius, though. Still.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Even the funny Monthy Python sketches aren't that funny. Fuck this guy.

We really don't have to go there. Monty Python has their lows, but have done so many bits that are pure class, and a huge part of comedy history. Just because someone says a stupid thing, we don't have to tear down whole careers.

Carl2291

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think this is the first time Gilliam has said stupid shit.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I never want to become one of those old people, like who's moaning Doctor Who is now an actress.

Romez

Nov 11, 2017

When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Unfortunately have no idea whose quote this is.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I can understand where he's going with this.

Forcing diversity in a team won't make it better for whatever it's supposed to do. What makes a team work is the chemistry between the members.

The idea that the Monty Python could not have existed as they were today just because they were six whites dudes and therefore not diverse enough is quite iffy.

Encouraging diversity is good. Protecting diversity is good. Enforcing diversity just for the sake of diversity ? Not so good.

So... yeah... I get what he's saying. The form is fucked up though.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
John Cleese's comment, made just under a month ago, I have no qualms with.

This one from Gilliam though....brrrrrrrr.

airjoca

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Portugal
He could've made his point in a lot of different (better) ways. Like Cleese did. But when you get to a certain age, you no longer care.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Forcing diversity in a team won't make it better for whatever it's supposed to do. What makes a team work is the chemistry between the members.

The idea that the Monty Python could not have existed as they were today just because they were six whites dudes and therefore not diverse enough is quite iffy.

Encouraging diversity is good. Protecting diversity is good. Enforcing diversity just for the sake of diversity ? Not so good.

That's how I read it as well. Poorly worded, but there is some point to it. And Terry Gilliam should know to tread carefully with this subject.

Oct 28, 2017
It's telling when some white people view inclusion not as "these people can now do what I can do," but "I can't do what I've always been able to,simply because someone else can."
Well, both of these guys are responding to the fact the new BBC head of comedy basically said he would never allow a show like Monty Python to be created today because they are "six Oxbridge white blokes." So, it kind if is the latter.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
I got angry at Gilliam, but Cleese kinda made it better.
Gilliam comes off as a typical older person with fossilised views, and being unable to accept change or admit that his generation was less than less than perfect, he turns to ridicule, coming off like a scared old man.

deli

Oct 25, 2017

Not only is the "don't force diversity on me please" take so incredibly tired at this point, but in this case it doesn't even make any sense. Like how do you think sketch comedy works? Do you think they just randomly grab 6 people from different backgrounds and force them to write? This is about giving talented writers and performers who have historically not been given an ear in a chance to have a platform. Do you think they're running around stopping white dudes from forming groups? I actually don't get it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think this is the first time Gilliam has said stupid shit.
It will probably not be the last, either. He's been the equivalent of an angry 70+ curmudgeon since the 80s, and though not without some cause with how much crap he's gone through with his movies, tact has never been his strong suit. I get the point he's trying to make with his statement, but 1) he picked close to the worst possible words to make it with and 2) Cleese said it so much damn better than he ever could.

Red Arremer

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Always thought Gilliam was the weakest of the Pythons, so no big loss for me.
Thanks for the chuckle though, Cleese.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Not only is the "don't force diversity on me please" take so incredibly tired at this point, but in this case it doesn't even make any sense. Like how do you think sketch comedy works? Do you think they just randomly grab 6 people from different backgrounds and force them to write? This is about giving talented writers and performers who have historically not been given an ear in a chance to have a platform. Do you think they're running around stopping white dudes from forming groups? I actually don't get it.

I think his interpretation of what Shane Allen said is that a group of six white dudes akin to the Monty Pythons wouldn't be hired regardless of their talent as a group simply because they would be 6 white dudes and thus not diverse enough.

Basically, the idea that the BBC would avoid broadcasting a "better" comedy act for the sake of diversity.