• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Another one? For real Sony needs to spend this gen building up their Japanese studios like they did for their western studios in the ps3-4 gen. They're losing too much talent too fast.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
With a resume like that I don't think I need to wish him well on future endeavors. Because the man is going to crush it. Can't wait to see what his new company makes next!

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
Not a fan of the direction sony's gone over the last half decade regarding their involvement (or lackthereof) with japan

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Looking at what he's produced I thin he might be leaving to make a VR gaming company. He seems to have produced quite a few VR games while at Sony.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
This thread will have no overreactions whatsoever

I mean, Sony have been losing some pretty major people here for Sony Japan. Games like AstroBot have Western white dudes as the creative leads. It's on Sony to show longterm that they have any care about Japanese developmental voices within their company.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Sony have been losing some pretty major people here for Sony Japan. Games like AstroBot have Western white dudes as the creative leads. It's on Sony to show longterm that they have any care about Japanese developmental voices within their company.
And those "Western white dudes" also put out the best game Japan Studios made by themselves in fucking forever.

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
He probably only wants more freedom. Sony is doing the good job, liberating developers from their miserable lifes in the company.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Good luck to Toriyama-san on his future endeavors!

Looks like the Bloomberg article's bit on Japan Studio was likely right on the money, I guess it'll be nothing more than a support studio at this rate :(

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
yes....time to overreact!!!

overreact-he-did-what.gif

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong, Astro is awesome but I loved how Japan Studio would co-develop games like Bloodborne and Demons' Souls. I wanted more of that in addition to Astro :(

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
And those "Western white dudes" also put out the best game Japan Studios made by themselves in fucking forever.

We're comparing across genres so there's no point in even arguing which is better. Sony's developers are becoming more and more white though at the expense of voices from other cultures and races.

Oct 25, 2017
We're comparing across genres so there's no point in even arguing which is better. Sony's developers are becoming more and more white though at the expense of voices from other cultures and races.
I'm just not convinced at all that any of the dudes who are leaving, or have left, are a huge loss considering the mediocre output of Japan Studio over the last decade+. I'm strictly talking about games they've developed themselves here and not collabs with external partners. If this leads to fresh faces coming in with new ideas then I think that's a good thing. Having said that, whether Sony will actually invest in JS is another matter entirely and remains to be seen.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Freak bro another one, well, hopefully wherever he lands he gets to work on something awesome. A new company can be the refresh someone needs sometimes.

Damn the defenders came into this thread quick lol y'all didn't even give the other side time to react lmao.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
Tbh producer is usually not involved in creative process as much as say game director, so idk how big of an effect this would have on Japan Studio.

Oct 28, 2017

Which, while on paper is a potentially a serious issue, doesn't reflect how Sony's Japanese studio has been producing nothing better than mediocre for a while now. The only thing I could consider to be extremely good would be Bloodborne.

Even Gravity Rush 1 and 2 are neat ideas that manifested into some pretty mediocre set of games that is made far more memorable thanks to Kohei Tanaka's soundtrack.

The only hope is these people can get a breath of fresh air and maybe start producing some really good games again. But they clearly weren't getting it done at Sony.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Still have no idea what Japan Studio has even done besides fetch Miyazaki his coffee or something while he made Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Still have no idea what Japan Studio has even done besides fetch Miyazaki his coffee or something while he made Demon's Souls and Bloodborne.

The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 are two of the best games from last gen. Even if someone isn't a huge fan of either of those, the diversity they bring is important.

There's definitely a certain direction that a lot of Sony's western titles are starting to share and they'll be in need of shakeup soon.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
The Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2 are two of the best games from last gen. Even if someone isn't a huge fan of either of those, the diversity they bring is important.

There's definitely a certain direction that a lot of Sony's western titles are starting to share and they'll be in need of shakeup soon.

I dont think so. While I couldn't care less for Sony's western output, their Japan Studio output was far more interesting. Yet, even something as mediocre as Days Gone outsold all Japan Studio's output on PS4.

nolifebr

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Curitiba/BR
I mean, Japan Studio doesn't need many producers as they will likely be the "Astro's Bot Studio" for the next few years. Whoever wanted to create something original is leaving the studio at the moment.