• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's nice to see some positive news from Tesla for once. They've created a way for your dog to comfortably sit in your car while you walk into the rest stop McDonald's. It's actually a really cool idea if it works right.

Hopefully this is a sign of things to come from Tesla.

Also, props to whomst ever made the ad for selecting very cute dogs.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Ah this is fantastic. Actually had this issue last summer when it was about 90F outside and I was stopping for some food with my wife. Dog was in car and that is no big deal in a Tesla as you can just set the cabin temp. However, someone passing by was likely to bust out a window if they didn't know that (I ended up taping a note to the windshield).

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it'd be better just to not leave your pet in the care at all

in fact there's already local laws made that i doubt will account for features like this

i wouldn't want this to build a sort of complacency on the issue as well

SirMossyBloke

Oct 26, 2017
Like I said it's just a step, but it's a step in the right direction.

I dont agree. Is this is going to get more Tesla owners to leave their animals in the car, and someones gonna forget to turn on Dog Mode. Its gonna happen.

We need to work on getting people to leave their pets at home or with a dog sitter, not leaving them in cars.

OP
OP

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If it fails to activate don't you just break the windows since it doesn't notify you that it's on?

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah unless it turns on automatically this may cause more problems.

And someone is gonna leave their kid in the car as well.

Teslas have already had a cabin overheat feature enabled by default that turns the AC on in the car when the inside reaches 105 degrees. It's enabled by default. Certainly not as good as this "dog mode," but it's decent as a failsafe.

Elrid

Oct 28, 2017
Our dog always wants to go with us and doesn't understand why he can't. I like this.

Brakke

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I break the windshield to save the pup, I'll just have to also break the little screen to destroy the evidence of dog mode.

TekDragon

Feb 8, 2019
How long until this feature kills a dog or a child because of either human or machine error?

It's inevitable. That's hardly an argument against it. If it results in a net reduction in the number of pets or children killed in unattended vehicles, it's a feature we should celebrate.

I'm sure the MSM will sensationalize it when it does happen, though. Gotta get those eyes on screen and give people an axe to grind.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I dont agree. Is this is going to get more Tesla owners to leave their animals in the car, and someones gonna forget to turn on Dog Mode. Its gonna happen.

We need to work on getting people to leave their pets at home or with a dog sitter, not leaving them in cars.
They're going to do it to their children, too.

That said, I'm not against the feature, since I'm sure there's plenty of occasions where a sudden quick stop is going to happen and someone is going to be at a place that isn't pet friendly in the middle of summer. Rather have the feature and not need it than need it and not have it, even if we'd all rather people not do it in the first place.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Also added sentry mode with the OTA update:

Sentry Mode adds a unique layer of protection to Tesla vehicles by continuously monitoring the environment around a car when it's left unattended. When enabled, Sentry Mode enters a "Standby" state, like many home alarm systems, which uses the car's external cameras to detect potential threats. If a minimal threat is detected, such as someone leaning on a car, Sentry Mode switches to an "Alert" state and displays a message on the touchscreen warning that its cameras are recording. If a more severe threat is detected, such as someone breaking a window, Sentry Mode switches to an "Alarm" state, which activates the car alarm, increases the brightness of the center display, and plays music at maximum volume from the car's audio system.

If a car switches to "Alarm" state, owners will also receive an alert from their Tesla mobile app notifying them that an incident has occurred. They'll be able to download a video recording of an incident (which begins 10 minutes prior to the time a threat was detected) by inserting a formatted USB drive into their car before they enable Sentry Mode.

Sentry Mode must be enabled each time a driver wants to use the feature by going to Controls > Safety & Security > Sentry Mode. The feature will begin rolling out today to U.S. Model 3 vehicles, followed by Model S and Model X vehicles that were built after August 2017.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/sentry-m...n=sentry&utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social

iamthatiam

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
why is this being posted here? are tesla threads popular now on resetera or something? I see alot of tesla threads lately. curious.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder how hard it is to read the screen on a bright day from the side window. I don't think people are going to make the effort to get into the perfect position and rather just smash the glass.

Deleted member 2625

Banned
Oct 25, 2017