• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Diagol

Oct 25, 2017
Website is back but I still can't configure for AWD...

The Tesla site is working and I can get to the page where it says I can start designing the car, but when I click on it, I can't customize anything. It brings me to a page I got a while ago before I got the invitation to customize.

Hopefully the page is up and running later today so I can just place the order.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
Do we have any idea when summon is coming for the 3? Kind of annoying that we still can't use it.

Also, any bike rack recommendations?

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Dual motor has the same range as the long range model. Do we know what size battery it has? It would seem weird if the dual motor had the same size battery as the long range model with the same mileage. Usually we see a slight bump right?

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Dual motor has the same range as the long range model. Do we know what size battery it has? It would seem weird if the dual motor had the same size battery as the long range model with the same mileage. Usually we see a slight bump right?

They may not fully rated the range so they are just saying no change but real world it's more

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Still a 2 year wait if you order today?
https://electrek.co/2018/05/20/tesla-model-3-delivery-timelines-new-orders-production/

Updated today, orders placed now can be received in as soon 4 to 6 months depending on configuration

Edit: this is pretty big news, production hell is over and model 3 is ramping big time, considering I've seen nothing but thread after thread lately smearing Tesla/Elon with sensationalist clickbait might be thread worthy and nice to have some positivity if someone wants to I don't have ability

Last edited:

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I thought there was only one battery size, and the range was software-limited. I remember Tesla remotely unlocking the long-range capability during last year's hurricane season.

Diagol

Oct 25, 2017
Just an FYI - for those wanting to order AWD & Performance Model 3's, some existing reservation orders who decided to wait for AWD started getting emails about a couple of hours ago to customize their order for AWD/Performance. I haven't received this email yet, but it looks like they're slowly rolling it out instead of opening the floodgates. Timeframe is 12 - 16 weeks for AWD/Performance.

All of this is according to Tesla's forums. So hopefully I get that email soon!

Jan 29, 2018
Lot of Elon haters on this site.

Kinda? I mean, I think Tesla and SpaceX are awesome endeavors and I really hope Tesla succeeds at bringing electric cars mass market, but hearing about anti-union maneuvers and underreporting factory injuries can make the whole thing seem slimy. Add in being a jackass on that investor call a few weeks ago, being obnoxious about flamethrowers and candy companies, etc... it's a lot easier to be a fan of the company than the man.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
This thread has been peaceful and if people don't make posts like this to bring the haters here, it can remain peaceful. So let's please just talk about the cars and not about other stuff.
I am peaceful and a Tesla fan. I was referring to Ryno23 and his comments about the amount of Elon/Tesla smearing and clickbait threads.

Carry on. Not looking to derail.

Last edited:

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
From CR's description it sounded like a software issue to me. The physical mechanics of brakes are a solved problem, and the S and X don't exhibit this behavior. Glad to see that appears to be the case.

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
I added about 30 minutes to my commute due to new place I'm living in now, so I'm considering pre-ordering one of those. Those that went through the pre-order process and received your vehicle, did you did it in a Tesla dealership, or online? Do they charge sales tax online vs dealership (I live in Long Island)?

What are some of the customization options for RWD? When do you have to secure financing for the payment, do you have to get it by your own, or the website have an application process? If you do it online do they allow trade-ins?

Thanks in advance.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
I added about 30 minutes to my commute due to new place I'm living in now, so I'm considering pre-ordering one of those. Those that went through the pre-order process and received your vehicle, did you did it in a Tesla dealership, or online? Do they charge sales tax online vs dealership (I live in Long Island)?

What are some of the customization options for RWD? When do you have to secure financing for the payment, do you have to get it by your own, or the website have an application process? If you do it online do they allow trade-ins?

Thanks in advance.

The whole purchase process is online.

Options are battery size, paint, rims, premium interior, enhanced auto pilot, self driving. Dual motor and performance are options outside of RWD. By the time you can get your car there may be more options.

Financing is done when you get a delivery date. You can use tesla for financing via website application or get your own. You will need to put down 2500 at the time of order that goes toward the purchase of the vehicle. This is in addition to the 1000 deposit for preorder.

Trade ins are also done online. You provide info on your car and take pictures and they give you an offer.

Last edited:

TK-421

Nov 30, 2017
Death Star

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
I agree. Though like Jobs he brings on himself. Personally I love the mad scientist CEO.

I will buy a Tesla when I can walk into a showfloor and buy one for $35K. I can wait.

That's basically where I'm at now.

It's got the price and features I want, but I'm not about the wait.

Hopefully by then it'll still be around and it'll have most of the bugs worked out.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017

Hopefully by then it'll still be around and it'll have most of the bugs worked out.

I just want to test drive one but that currently is not an option in Ohio. Being 6'4", 300lbs comfort is pretty important to me. Basically, I don't want to be this:

E7AQjQo.jpg

LOL I know that's a bit over dramatic but I think you get what I'm saying.

Jan 29, 2018

It seems like the price that I want - $35k - won't be available for another year. The Federal tax incentives will probably be gone by then too, so it'll be interesting to see what happens.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
There's speculation that Telsa is gaming the Federal tax credit. If they can delay delivery of the 200,000th Tesla in the US until after 12/31, then everyone who gets their car in the first 6 months of 2019 will get the full $7500, and everyone who gets it in the second half will get half of that. And even into 2020, the first 6 months people will get 1/4 before it's completely phased out for Tesla.

The fact that they've begun deliveries in Canada, and are focusing on the Performance version of the AWD model 3 first, lends credence to this theory.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
Elon posted on Twitter that it's a software problem with the ABS calibration, he claims that a fix is rolling out soon.

What kind of company releases a car that needs software updates for its brakes. Zero confidence in the 3. I can't believe people are ok being beta testers for a car.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
I just want to test drive one but that currently is not an option in Ohio. Being 6'4", 300lbs comfort is pretty important to me. Basically, I don't want to be this:

E7AQjQo.jpg

It is a big car. My co-worker is 6'5" and was comfortable in mine with the passenger seat all the way back.

What kind of company releases a car that needs software updates for its brakes. Zero confidence in the 3. I can't believe people are ok being beta testers for a car.

Every car gets tweaks. My Toyota has been into the shop for at least 3 different recalls (floor mats, airbag, and something else I don't recall) and those were way way bigger issues than the model 3 brakes. Are all toyota buyers beta testers? Tesla can at least fix it without me having to take it into a shop.

Jan 29, 2018
There's speculation that Telsa is gaming the Federal tax credit. If they can delay delivery of the 200,000th Tesla in the US until after 12/31, then everyone who gets their car in the first 6 months of 2019 will get the full $7500, and everyone who gets it in the second half will get half of that. And even into 2020, the first 6 months people will get 1/4 before it's completely phased out for Tesla.

The fact that they've begun deliveries in Canada, and are focusing on the Performance version of the AWD model 3 first, lends credence to this theory.

If that's the case the first half of 2019 is basically my chance. I still scoff at the idea $35k is affordable and mass market (and it drives me crazy when the press talks about the Model 3 as Tesla's mass market car when so far they've only made the $50k+ version). $28k is still an extravagance in my mind but not out the realm of possibility.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017

There is absolutely zero chance the 200,000th Tesla delivered in the US happens in 2019. Worst-case scenario (for Tesla) is that that milestone is hit in July, and that's likely only to happen if Tesla does game the deliveries.

Oct 25, 2017

E7AQjQo.jpg

I'm 6'7" and a large 270. Once I adjusted the seat down and back, I fit behind the wheel more comfortably than I have in any other vehicle I have ever driven. Don't own yet, this was at a store.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
It is a big car. My co-worker is 6'5" and was comfortable in mine with the passenger seat all the way back.

I'm 6'7" and a large 270. Once I adjusted the seat down and back, I fit behind the wheel more comfortably than I have in any other vehicle I have ever driven. Don't own yet, this was at a store.

This is great to read! I would still feel better sitting in one before placing my order but I have no idea when that will be an option.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Followup video of Consumer Report's Model 3.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daOGwnqC-gs
I guess their Auto director got a 1 on 1 phone call was Elon and was told they are working on the braking stopping distance. Can be pushed in less than a week OTA.
Also the first couple of complaints were being worked on
-Wind Noise (new glass/pillar? To lessen the noise)
-Ride Stiffness (complaints it was a bit stiff, hoping to make it less stiff) etc. etc.

Amazing how much has changed in less than a year

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
The suspension is very stiff/firm, but it absorbs bumps incredibly well. It feels like CR is driving an entirely different car than my 3.

I'm also sick of hearing people complaining about the touchscreen.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017
Just because you like it and have adapted to it fine, doesn't mean that for other people there aren't legitimate issues with having nearly all of the vehicle controls and settings on a touchscreen, no matter how nicely designed and fast it is.

My specific gripe is in regards to how they are complaining about things like how awkward it is to adjust things like the mirrors and steering wheel, despite the fact these things are something you will adjust while sitting parked in the car for the very first time, save to your driver profile, and literally never need to adjust again.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just because you like it and have adapted to it fine, doesn't mean that for other people there aren't legitimate issues with having nearly all of the vehicle controls and settings on a touchscreen, no matter how nicely designed and fast it is.
People complained about how the iPhone had no buttons too. Let's see what happens with cars with buttons over the next decade.

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People can complain about missing hardware keyboards on their phone, too. And aux jacks.

Tomohawk

Oct 27, 2017
I'm planning on reserving a Tesla but live in an apartment anyone in a similar situation know how problematic that is? I have chargers at my gym, but it's not close by. Also live in Ontario if that's relevant.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People complained about how the iPhone had no buttons too. Let's see what happens with cars with buttons over the next decade.
Why is it so hard to understand that Tesla had to go this route, not because its the best but because its the cheapest? Zero hardware buttons plus screen is cheaper then hardware buttons plus screen. They had to cut corners everywhere to eventually sell a 30K car, wich they are far away from/ not doing at the moment.

Then ask yourself why the iPone X still has dedicated mute, on/off and volume buttons, hint: it would suck mayor ass if it didn't have those.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm planning on reserving a Tesla but live in an apartment anyone in a similar situation know how problematic that is? I have chargers at my gym, but it's not close by. Also live in Ontario if that's relevant.

I don't know your whole situation but I would not recommend buying an EV if you didn't have a totally reliable way to charge it while you're sleeping or at work.

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is it so hard to understand that Tesla had to go this route, not because its the best but because its the cheapest? Zero hardware buttons plus screen is cheaper then hardware buttons plus screen. They had to cut corners everywhere to eventually sell a 30K car, wich they are far away from/ not doing at the moment.

Then ask yourself why the iPone X still has dedicated mute, on/off and volume buttons, hint: it would suck mayor ass if it didn't have those.

LMAO

I guess I'm just imagining that a big touch screen in my S controls everything and that the goal hasn't actually been the elimination of hundreds of buttons and switches since the very beginning. The design philosophy is clear. You can accept it or you can be one those people who still pine for BlackBerry with a physical keyboard and lots of buttons.

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LMAO

I guess I'm just imagining that a big touch screen in my S controls everything and that the goal hasn't actually been the elimination of hundreds of buttons and switches since the very beginning. The design philosophy is clear. You can accept it or you can be one those people who still pine for BlackBerry with a physical keyboard and lots of buttons.
Exactly. Plus there are steering wheel buttons for the iPhone button comparison.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

Isn't that a very disingenuous comparison, since you are comparing some mechanical button being present on the iPhone, to a Tesla which also has some mechanical button, as if there was none at all on the Tesla?

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the one who started the iPhone comparison ;D

Never have I seen people so hell bend in arguing that its somehow genius design to wade thru a menu and use a touchscreen to open a cars compartment, or adjust the climate control. You have no haptic feedback and can't do much of anything without taking your eyes of the road or displaying the cars speed in the corner of the screen instead of a HUD or display in front of you - is not good design, its cheap.

:/

If this is not cost effective design I don't know what would be.