• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

That Guy

Nov 13, 2017
I'm not the one who started the iPhone comparison ;D

Never have I seen people so hell bend in arguing that its somehow genius design to wade thru a menu and use a touchscreen to open a cars compartment, or adjust the climate control. You have no haptic feedback and can't do much of anything without taking your eyes of the road or displaying the cars speed in the corner of the screen instead of a HUD or display in front of you - is not good design, its cheap.

:/

If this is not cost effective design I don't know what would be.
Yeah, as much as I love the simplistic model 3 design, they went too far with relegating things like climate control or opening the frickin glove compartment to the touchscreen.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Climate control is literally pushing a single button on the screen to turn it on. Which is all you need to do. It will automatically maintain the cabin at your preferred temperature.

Okay, so you need to set your preferred temperature once ever. I know this is super hard but I assure you Tesla owners can manage just fine.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I'd say a big touch screen is way more expensive than a bunch of plastic buttons so I'm not sure I'd buy the "cost cutting" argument.
The only thing they saved money on with this screen is the fact that it is perfectly centered so there is no need to change anything for countries that drive on the left side of the road.
The Model S and X have the center screen angled towards the driver.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Climate control is literally pushing a single button on the screen to turn it on. Which is all you need to do. It will automatically maintain the cabin at your preferred temperature.

Okay, so you need to set your preferred temperature once ever. I know this is super hard but I assure you Tesla owners can manage just fine.
This is such bullshit. Set temperature once. Lol.

Come on now.

—-

KeRaSh I said one / two screens with buttons are more expensive to develop, build, buy tools to manufacture, test then only one (single) screen.

Further, I would estimate that BMWs iDrive controller is more expensive then just a monitor screen.

Last edited:

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
This is such bullshit. Set temperature once. Lol.

Come on now.

I don't understand this. For a manual A/C, sure, you're gonna fiddle with it constantly and it would be super annoying if it were on a touchscreen. But automatic climate control systems are not exactly new (the first car I remember driving with one was a 1988 Acura Legend) and pretty much every car I have ever driven with an automatic climate control I've pretty much set it to like 70 degrees and just let it do its thing.

KeRaSh I said one / two screens with buttons are more expensive to develop, build, buy tools to manufacture, test then only one (single) screen.

Further, I would estimate that BMWs iDrive controller is more expensive then just a monitor screen.

Out of curiosity is this estimate based on inside knowledge of BMW's costs for the iDrive controller?

It's interesting that we had a thread a while back that implied that you have to get a higher trim to get a touchscreen on BMWs (here it is: https://www.resetera.com/threads/re...-have-a-feature-i-was-told-that-it-had.32827/)

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I want the ac to blast ice cold air in my face for 5min when the car is hot I set it manually this way, when people in the back don't want air in their face I set the stream another way, my gf wants another climate depending on her dress style and weather conditions outside.

I have different needs when I sit in my car with a winterjacket or a t-Shirt. Other climate when my son is in the car. Etc. It's not set and forget, that's why controls are there for be it digitally or per mechanical switches.

And no, no inside knowledge regarding the controller. I just know that similar devices for CAD work cost >300€ so I guess the touch enabled one in Benz, Audi and BMW could cost a fraction of that. These are not parts that can be ordered off the shelf but made specifically for one car/ purpose.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not the one who started the iPhone comparison ;D

Never have I seen people so hell bend in arguing that its somehow genius design to wade thru a menu and use a touchscreen to open a cars compartment, or adjust the climate control. You have no haptic feedback and can't do much of anything without taking your eyes of the road or displaying the cars speed in the corner of the screen instead of a HUD or display in front of you - is not good design, its cheap.

:/

If this is not cost effective design I don't know what would be.

It's not just bad design, it's dangerous. I don't know how these things can be allowed on the road. As a pedestrian and cyclist I find this pretty worrying.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
When I want the ac to blast ice cold air in my face for 5min when the car is hot I set it manually this way,

...or you could turn the A/C on before you even get in the car so you don't need to do this, even if you forget the car pretty much does this if the car is hot and needs to be cooled quickly as the thermostat will turn the A/C up to max, since that is what thermostats do.

when people in the back don't want air in their face I set the stream another way,

...or those people in the back can fiddle with the manual vent for the back seats...

my gf wants another climate depending on her dress style and weather conditions outside.

...If she is driving then her climate preferences are saved to her driver profile, if she isn't driving then she can use the touchscreen to adjust the temperature for her zone on the touchscreen herself. You can tap on the arrows next to the temperature directly, there are no menus involved.

I have different needs when I sit in my car with a winterjacket or a t-Shirt. Other climate when my son is in the car. Etc. It's not set and forget, that's why controls are there for be it digitally or per mechanical switches.

...and even in these cases, these are all things that you're just going to change once per session before you even start driving, unless you like changing clothes in the middle of your drive?

I mean, I guess I still don't get it, the whole point of automatic climate control systems is that you set them and you forget them, right? Were the ones you've used just total garbage? The one in the previously mentioned 1988 Acura wasn't amazing but I had a 2006 Honda with one and it was totally fine, I pretty much never changed it and it did the right thing.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
I believe part of the decision of the touch screen controls is advance planning on how the car would potentially be used in the future with self driving. Elon has talked about having the car uber for you while you are at work. If there were a bunch of switches and knobs how would things get changed remotely or by passengers in the car? I don't think it is only being driven by costs.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I think there's some cognitive dissonance on how much people use controls blindly in other cars. "Glancing to the right to see the speedometer is dangerous!" vs. "Oh, I glance to the right to look at the GPS screen all the time." If you are rummaging in your glove box while driving, that is dangerous; who cares if there's no physical button? Turning the AC on full-blast is something you do when you first start the car and aren't moving, and can't you do this prior to entering via remote start from your phone, or use voice-control anyway? A touchscreen map is far easier to use than my current GPS with separate buttons for zooming and a joystick for moving the map. The touchscreen does look complicated before first use, but are these things that actual owners complain about still? I have always thought cars have way too many buttons and dials that overload me with information I don't need, so I'm looking forward to a cleaner look.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
See Post #599.

It's amazing actually. :D

Enjoy your rides everybody.

Yes, enjoy your ride...

I think there's some cognitive dissonance on how much people use controls blindly in other cars. "Glancing to the right to see the speedometer is dangerous!" vs. "Oh, I glance to the right to look at the GPS screen all the time." If you are rummaging in your glove box while driving, that is dangerous; who cares if there's no physical button? Turning the AC on full-blast is something you do when you first start the car and aren't moving, and can't you do this prior to entering via remote start from your phone, or use voice-control anyway? A touchscreen map is far easier to use than my current GPS with separate buttons for zooming and a joystick for moving the map. The touchscreen does look complicated before first use, but are these things that actual owners complain about still? I have always thought cars have way too many buttons and dials that overload me with information I don't need, so I'm looking forward to a cleaner look.

I agree. There are other cars that put the speedometer in the center (for example, the Mini, which always seems to have had it there) and I dunno, I guess I haven't seen the visceral hate directed at that car for that design decision. (Didn't the Prius do something similar? I kinda remember that from when I test drove one back in the day...)

As for things that could be better, let's get real here, I kinda miss my windshield wiper stalk. The auto wipers aren't automatic enough for me at this point. But for example, the headlight controls, nope. Auto headlights are solid now and just work, so there's hardly any need to mess with them ever. (Literally the only reason I can ever think of to mess with the headlight controls is to turn them off if you're in a parking lot at night and you aren't planning to leave right away, so other people don't wait for your space. The next time you start the car it defaults back to auto, which is the right thing to do IMHO.) Same with the climate control, mirror, and steering wheel position UI, those are things you just set and forget.

I think the only other thing people really complain about is the music UI - they added a button to quickly switch sources because people couldn't figure out how to switch inputs to Bluetooth quickly (it was and still is possible but it's not obvious - click the Bluetooth icon then the media button) but it's all the way on the right side of the screen. I'm sure the UI will continue to improve, and if nothing else, it should be relatively easy to add a voice command to fix this.

BTW, an underrated reason for getting rid of the usual dashboard clutter is being able to have that giant vent across the dashboard. The AC on this car is seriously impressive IMHO, it cools down REALLY fast.

darkvir

Oct 26, 2017
Got my delivery date in Vancouver for June 9th! It's all happening way faster than expected.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Got my delivery date in Vancouver for June 9th! It's all happening way faster than expected.

zrbGD_f-maxage-0.gif

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
So I found this a good read even if much of it is over my head, guy did a teardown of the Model 3 and a deep dive into the battery/electronics:

"And so my assertion in the video and more emphatically so at this point, given the level of advanced technology and integration I'm seeing in this battery assembly, and assuming the same level of effort from the Panasonic team at the chemistry/cell level, this is the BEST most ADVANCED large scale lithium battery every produced on planet and is YEARS ahead of anything currently in work. Tesla appears to be saying to the rest of the industry, "We've upped our game… so UP YOURS!"

Like a 7-year-old on Christmas morning, I am in absolute DELIGHT at what we are learning about this remarkable car. The kid in me is going ape shit by what we are seeing in the charger and particularly in the motor drive unit. Across the board, this ain't your daddy's Oldsmobile. And I can pretty much assert that everything you THOUGHT you knew about the Tesla Model 3 is basically a miss. It's going to be a delight, but a bit of a longer more drawn out affair to explore just what IS in this remarkable device."
http://evtv.me/2018/05/tesla-model-3-gone-battshit/

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Picked mine up from the Toronto International Centre on Thursday, this thing is absolutely gorgeous, and fun as fuck to drive.

I had zero panel issues, no cosmetic imperfections, it was literally a perfectly built car. The only thing they did was forgot to plug in my rear-trunk interior LED light, which was totally fine because I replaced all those LEDs with the brighter ones from RPM Tesla.

For anyone curious: this thing feels familiar, it handles very similar to my Mazda 3; albeit with much more pep. It was a fairly easy adjustment to get used to how the Tesla drives. The centre screen takes about a day to acclimatize yourself to.

I bought a bunch of stuff for the car before I took delivery:

5 LED upgrade kit from RPM Tesla (2 for the trunk, 1 for the glovebox, one for each front-door puddle light)
2 LED upgrade footwell kit from RPM Tesla (Makes the footwell lights blue, and its beautiful, picture below).
"Matrix" 3M Centre console wrap from RPM Tesla (picture below). A centre console wrap is an absolute must, even on my drive home it had a ton of fingerprints and dust!
Knock-off "Premium Pedals" for Model S/X. They fit on the 3, too.
Weathertech trunk and trunk mat from tesla's online shop.

And now, for some pictures!

Interior LED footwell upgrades - the blue is beautiful in person, much easier on the eyes at night when driving too and looking around the cabin.
x9AMIld.jpg

Console Centre wrap from RPM tesla, this one is the "Matrix" style. A console wrap is an ABSOLUTE MUST. Otherwise it's a fingerprint/scratch magnet.
lWyqT9T.jpg

I also installed the "performance pedals" Chinese knockoffs, they are the same as the model S/X, and fit the 3 nicely.
C7hwY5X.jpg

Midnight silver is gorgeous.
bfU58wE.jpg

Meet Jigawatt!
LrfMbGv.jpg

Overall, extremely happy - the delivery experience was a bit rushed and unorganized, but they're doing 223 cars a day in an 8-hour window, so I'll forgive them for that one.

AS FOR THE TOUCH SCREEN.

Opening the glovebox is as simple as pressing the car icon, then 'open glovebox' - it's stupidly simple and takes no time at all.

Likewise, climate control is pressing the fan button (or up and down arrow for temperature), it's arguably faster than turning the three knobs that existed in my old mazda 3. It took me about one day to get used to the centre screen, and now it's so absolutely incredibly simple to navigate and get to what I need when I need it. The only menus you'd ever need to 'wade through' are the ones you'd do while parked. All drive-critical functionality is at worst one click deep.

For everyone bitching and complaining about how a touch screen is going to ruin all the 'easy access' of the physical buttons you're used to, I have nine simple words for you:

Shut the hell up until you've actually tried it.

Last edited:

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
My car has the new rear seats, the reworked front seats, the additional plastic trim in the trunk, and updated windshield/roof glass seating to fix the wind noise.

Everything about it seems wonderful so far, not a complaint to be had in terms of the ride quality.
That's awesome! Enjoy! Thanks for the info.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
I believe part of the decision of the touch screen controls is advance planning on how the car would potentially be used in the future with self driving. Elon has talked about having the car uber for you while you are at work. If there were a bunch of switches and knobs how would things get changed remotely or by passengers in the car? I don't think it is only being driven by costs.
Elon is such a dreamer. Lmao I'm more likely to burst into fire than remote ubering ever being a thing on an idividual Car owner basis.

Gatti-man

Banned
Jan 31, 2018
It's so easy to sell people Teslas. Give them a ride in it. That's literally it.
In still really sceptical. Regardless of what buyers say the iPad design for everything is bad design for driving. Like I don't have to actually drive a 3 to know that it's common sense.

But the real deal breaker is my lack of faith in the Tesla business model. I'm terrified to buy a Tesla with their current debt and lack of staying power. It's way too expensive to not have gauranteed support and resale value none of which are gauranteed currently with Tesla. The S is a sweet car and I'm always tempted but it's being very risky with your money in my honest opinion. The 3 looks way too budget for my tastes, especially for what they are charging.

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In still really sceptical. Regardless of what buyers say the iPad design for everything is bad design for driving. Like I don't have to actually drive a 3 to know that it's common sense.

But the real deal breaker is my lack of faith in the Tesla business model. I'm terrified to buy a Tesla with their current debt and lack of staying power. It's way too expensive to not have gauranteed support and resale value none of which are gauranteed currently with Tesla. The S is a sweet car and I'm always tempted but it's being very risky with your money in my honest opinion. The 3 looks way too budget for my tastes, especially for what they are charging.
Actual Tesla owners don't have problems with any of this at all.

Tesla is not going to go bankwupt. You didn't hear it here first but I'll say it anyways. The way things are going, I would be a lot more worried about GM going bankrupt (again), Chrysler (again), or Ford than I would about Tesla.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
223 cars in a day? Most of them Model 3's?? That's a lot of cars.

Congrats btw!
All model 3s. At the international centre. They are trying to get as many delivered as possible before elections.

Think critically for a second about what you actually fiddle with WHILE DRIVING.

1) radio / music - it has a physical button on the wheel to change songs/stations and modify volume. Changing inputs is one button away - same as a traditional vehicle. Or it can be done via voice commands. Which is tied to a physical button. You can even search for specific artists via that.

2) wipers - it has auto wipers or variable speed persistent on the touch screen (it's on the top menu basically, immediate access), but guess what? There's physical buttons on the left wheel stalk, too!

3) high beams - auto lights as well, but also a physical presence on the left stalk too!

4) turn signals - physically on left stalk

5) hazard lights - physical button above you by the dome lights.

6) navigation - all done via touch screen .. or, holy fuck, voice control! Which is activated by pressing in a physical button on the steering wheel!

7) switching gears - physically on the right stalk. Same with autopilot and cruise control activation. Deactivating is as simple as tapping the brake.

Am I missing anything that you need to do - while driving - ?? Everything that is mission critical has a physical presence in the car. None of that relies on the touch screen.

The only items you use the touch screen for is climate control, and it's one press of a button on screen. It takes the same level of attention to do that it does in a regular old car with knobs and dials.

As for the "lack of staying power" - Pontiac doesn't exist any more, but you still see their cars on the road. The charging infrastructure that exists outside of tesla, can all be used by Tesla's via the various adapters.

If you're worried about aftermarket parts, I'm sure they exist or will exist should the company ever go under. But I think it's pretty clear they're on their way to sustained profitability.

Don't let unfounded fears keep you from embracing the future.

The iPhone analogy is absolutely perfect - it's the same feeling getting my first tesla that I had getting that first Gen iPhone. This is the future.

A lot of people cried wolf at the longevity and reality of the iPhone only to be proven wrong about how much of an impact it had on future products from not only Apple, but other manufacturers too.

I think the model 3 is the catalyst for a similar change in the auto industry.

Literally everyone I've shown my car to thus far was initially sceptical of the Centre screen. And once I finished showing the car and taking them for a ride, they were all amazed at how simple it really was, and how clean and wonderful the interior was. You have to experience it to fully understand how much the simplicity in the cabin makes a difference.

Last edited:

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
AS FOR THE TOUCH SCREEN.

Opening the glovebox is as simple as pressing the car icon, then 'open glovebox' - it's stupidly simple and takes no time at all.

Likewise, climate control is pressing the fan button (or up and down arrow for temperature), it's arguably faster than turning the three knobs that existed in my old mazda 3. It took me about one day to get used to the centre screen, and now it's so absolutely incredibly simple to navigate and get to what I need when I need it. The only menus you'd ever need to 'wade through' are the ones you'd do while parked. All drive-critical functionality is at worst one click deep.

For everyone bitching and complaining about how a touch screen is going to ruin all the 'easy access' of the physical buttons you're used to, I have nine simple words for you:

Shut the hell up until you've actually tried it.
Can you adjust the climate without looking away from the road? That's what people are talking about when they are talking about easy access to physical buttons and knobs. I don't have to look away from the road to crank up the AC, switch to window vents to stop the window from fogging up, etc. The fear is that on a flat touchscreen, you have to be able to see the icon to know where to touch, which is dangerous while driving.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Can you adjust the climate without looking away from the road? That's what people are talking about when they are talking about easy access to physical buttons and knobs. I don't have to look away from the road to crank up the AC, switch to window vents to stop the window from fogging up, etc. The fear is that on a flat touchscreen, you have to be able to see the icon to know where to touch, which is dangerous while driving.

Via voice control if you wanted to, yes.
Otherwise it's touch screen. But it's very easy to do. There's an up and down arrow you can hit to quickly change the temperature, or you can tap into a fan icon to get more ingrained.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
My car has the new rear seats, the reworked front seats, the additional plastic trim in the trunk, and updated windshield/roof glass seating to fix the wind noise.

Everything about it seems wonderful so far, not a complaint to be had in terms of the ride quality.

Sounds awesome. Congratulations! Can't wait to see how much more they improve by the time they start deliveries in Europe.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Well, sorry to say I cancelled my Model 3 reservation :-(

I had to replace my truck last year, and I was trying to justify having 3 car payments, and holding out hope that maybe I'd get a good bonus next year and pay off one of the cars, but at the end of the day it's just not the right time. The new truck will delay getting a new car until at least 2020.

Sometimes it sucks being a responsible adult.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Whelp, I did it. I put down my $1,000. I'm super stoked! Depending on when I get the Design Studio invite I'll probably be waiting. I plan to wait because I want to be able to choose between Long Range or Standard battery, choose between RWD or AWD, and I want to be able to select which individual premium features I want instead of the current situation. I have a 2013 SXT Challenger that I'll be getting rid of (I would be interested in seeing what their trade value for it would be out of a morbid curiosity but most likely I'll be selling it when it comes time to get my financing together) which only has a little over 30,000 miles on it so it should do alright. With the Model 3 my aim is to keep as close to a $35,000 price tag as possible but I think I would like to get it in a different color than black and maybe some of the premium upgrades (depending on what their individual costs will be). I've also thought of maybe getting the most bare bones version BUT with the Long Range battery which I assume will be an option at some point. I don't know... I guess it's good I have time to mull this all over.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Via voice control if you wanted to, yes.
Otherwise it's touch screen. But it's very easy to do. There's an up and down arrow you can hit to quickly change the temperature, or you can tap into a fan icon to get more ingrained.

I'm pretty sure that voice control for climate control isn't available yet, but it is likely something to be added down the line (wooo OTA updates!)

That being said, someone mentioned it before, but generally speaking needing to adjust the temperature is also pretty uncommon. The car will already be at the temperature you set it to using climate control when you get in, and the automatic temperature control is very solid.

If you don't have an thermostat-controlled climate control in your car, I can see how you would turn up and down and off and on your AC (since you are acting as thermostat). But if you have a good one that keeps the temperature consistent, generally speaking you shouldn't have to.

Still really enjoying my 3 one month in, and have racked up about 1,750 miles since taking ownership (with being out of town for a week!). Planning on a few road trips over the next couple months. It's just really awesome.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Any issues with getting a charger installed in a car port (versus a garage)? I suppose I should get that taken care of prior to buying the car which I imagine will be later in the year or early 2019 (waiting on the AWD).

Shit is going to be pricey, since I feel like I'll cave and get get extended range ($9k) premium options ($5k- will these ever be offered al la carte?) AWD ($5k) and probably won't get black ($1k) but I think I can swing it.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Any issues with getting a charger installed in a car port (versus a garage)?

There shouldn't be any problem with it. The wall charger can be used outside, and if you do proper precautions, a NEMA outlet should be able to be installed as well if you just want to use the UMC. Definitely a good idea to get taken care of beforehand. 120V will charge about 5 miles per hour, and early on in ownership you will want to drive it much more than commute, and as such that charging is... lacking.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Any issues with getting a charger installed in a car port (versus a garage)? I suppose I should get that taken care of prior to buying the car which I imagine will be later in the year or early 2019 (waiting on the AWD).

Shit is going to be pricey, since I feel like I'll cave and get get extended range ($9k) premium options ($5k- will these ever be offered al la carte?) AWD ($5k) and probably won't get black ($1k) but I think I can swing it.

HPWC is rated for outdoor installs, so as long as your installer does it right, shouldn't be an issue.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Sweet, thanks guys. If I get something installed I'll post up some pictures/impressions in case it's useful for anyone else.

Woody

Mar 5, 2018
Some good news out of China if you're a TSLA holder:

Over the weekend, China's Ministry of Commerce confirmed that Tesla will build a wholly owned factory in Shanghai, according to reports from Chinese website Xuehua. The news comes on the heels of speculation that a holding company recently registered in Shanghai could be the legal vehicle for a new Gigafactory build.

The ministry said it has been informed that Tesla is negotiating directly with Shanghai's municipal government on the details of the new facility. It's been a very active month for Tesla's China operations: The company has already reportedly begun hiring for the Gigafactory, and China officially made good on its pledge to reduce tariffs on car imports starting July 1.

Source: https://www.thestreet.com/investing/chinese-government-on-tesla-new-gigafactory-14610004

EnronERA

Oct 25, 2017

In the meantime, there's this.

https://www.recode.net/2018/6/4/174...sits-in-the-u-s-have-supposedly-been-refunded

Bad news avalanche for Tesla lately. None of which was surprising.

Actual Tesla owners don't have problems with any of this at all.

Tesla is not going to go bankwupt. You didn't hear it here first but I'll say it anyways. The way things are going, I would be a lot more worried about GM going bankrupt (again), Chrysler (again), or Ford than I would about Tesla.

Tesla's not going bankrupt, but it's far more likely than the other 3 that's for sure.

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the meantime, there's this.

https://www.recode.net/2018/6/4/174...sits-in-the-u-s-have-supposedly-been-refunded

Bad news avalanche for Tesla lately. None of which was surprising.

It's bad news that at least 3/4 of reservations converted to purchases considering people have waited over 2 years now and right now only expensive versions of the car are available? Come on. If anything it's the best news there is when it's not being spun to sound bad. The actual $35k one isn't even going to be available until EOY 2018/early 2019!

Bobcats

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I agree it seems that way, but how many people actually believe that feature will be available in even the next ten years? I'd wager most people buying these cars will be on their next car, or even a few cars past this one, before full-self drive is ready and available for all.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
I agree it seems that way, but how many people actually believe that feature will be available in even the next ten years? I'd wager most people buying these cars will be on their next car, or even a few cars past this one, before full-self drive is ready and available for all.

Elon believes it. Now whether or not we or others do is a different question.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Just FYI: The Model 3 reservation cancel process was painless. Filled out a form online on Sunday, and then as of Tuesday morning the refund had been deposited in my bank account.

Still sad about it. :-(

Oct 27, 2017

My car (Mazda 3) and several others have a touchscreen AND a little tilty/twisty knob in the center console for going through menus. I absolutely never use a touchscreen while driving since you can't do that without taking your eyes off the road.

With GPS and radio, you don't have to focus the center of your vision onto your finger tapping a screen while the car is shaking. Even if I wanted to zoom in out or move around the map, all I have to do is twist clockwise/counterclockwise to zoom or tilt the controller in the direction I want to move the map. There's no comparison in functionality, literally the only time a touchscreen makes sense is when I'm typing an address.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks so much for the breakdown that was what I figured it would be closer to.

No Prob - The $1k reservation fee kind of offsets the delivery fee so it doesn't feel so intrusive when it hits you. And you also have to pay 2500 at configuration time, and at that point the 2500 and 1000 are no longer refundable (there have been some people who've reported getting them still, but don't count on it).