• Welcome to ResetEra 2.0! Guests should now be able to save their dark or light theme preferences, found on the left sidebar.

Tesla Model 3 |OT| Shoot into Space if Old

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Lots of interesting things in there.

So lots of teams developing their own backends for different services. Also concerning that most of these things are encrypted. Elon, why?

What does trans people mean? Like transgender or something else? :?

130mph on the bridge. :lol

Also, data from these cars . . . are Tesla selling it or keeping it themselves?

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
This one isn't likely to somehow make it into greater circulation here, since it doesn't exactly fit the narrative that has been so carefully constructed by the anti-Tesla crowd on ResetEra. But I will leave it here if you care to peruse it, and you can read the Wall Street Journal.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/public...ow-elon-musks-tesla-plan-unraveled-1535326249
Pretty interesting that Volkswagen wanted in on the take private deal. I wonder what their intentions were considering they are the one other company that seems to have their own serious electrification plan.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty interesting that Volkswagen wanted in on the take private deal. I wonder what their intentions were considering they are the one other company that seems to have their own serious electrification plan.
Seems like they would have wanted access to technology. No one outside of Tesla and a few Chinese EV makers like BYD manufactures their own batteries and electric motors. The Europeans have all essentially given up their futures to China by contracting CATL to make batteries for them.

VW seems aware this is little more than a slow death spiral to let a foreign power control their ability to make the power source of probably all their cars within the next 20 years and was hoping access to Tesla's battery technology and manufacturing facilities would be a better alternative.

Now it's not clear what the Europeans will do.

Oct 27, 2017
Got a call from my Tesla rep yesterday that my delivery date is moving from Tuesday to Thursday because of an issue delivering to my state. The good news is he told me my Nissan Leaf trade-in value is pretty much the Kelley Blue Book value, which is over $100 more than what Carmax was going to give me. That was the last uncertainty stressing me out, so now that’s cleared up, I just have to wait til Thursday with eager anticipation.

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like they would have wanted access to technology. No one outside of Tesla and a few Chinese EV makers like BYD manufactures their own batteries and electric motors. The Europeans have all essentially given up their futures to China by contracting CATL to make batteries for them.
Batteries, yes but at least Audi is producing their own drive trains. I think they've put out a PR piece about them a few weeks ago. (Source)
I'm also guessing Porsche is developing their own drive trains for the Taycan.

On a completely different note, though: The securities fraud case about production numbers against Tesla was dismissed. (Reuters)

In a decision made public on Monday, U.S. District Judge Charles Breyer said that while shareholders claimed that Tesla fell short of its production goals, “federal securities laws do not punish companies for failing to achieve their targets.”

Oct 28, 2017
Any car washing recommendations? From technique, soap, wax, to sponges I'm interested in hearing all recommendations. Any special considerations for multicoat paint?

Oct 27, 2017
I finally received my Model 3 today! I felt so happy and kind of stupid at the same time. I never had a test drive with it before so I never had someone teach me the basics. When I got inside the car for the first time today, I didn’t know how to get out of the car because it doesn’t have any door handles inside. There’s a lot more stuff I’m learning about now, but it sure feels good to finally drive it.

Oct 27, 2017
Any car washing recommendations? From technique, soap, wax, to sponges I'm interested in hearing all recommendations. Any special considerations for multicoat paint?
Get a foam lance for pre-wash, a wash mitt and microfiber towels for drying. Get non-wax shampoo and wash with the two-bucket method preferably with a grit guard in both. Before waxing use iron and tar remover to get a clean surface. For new cars a ceramic paint coat is recommended but I'd leave that for professionals.

Never use brushes, sponges or blades on your car unless you want scratches.

Oct 25, 2017
If you want a car NOW, buy a P3D.

I put my original order in on 8/18/18. I got an email yesterday saying your car has been made and is leaving the factory. Today I confirmed my delivery appointment for next week. That's a turnaround of, uh, 20 days. The pace they are pushing the P3D's out is pretty insane, they are obviously making that end-of-quarter profitability rush right now. I just hope my car arrives fully assembled and without any defects or problems because goddamn. I was expecting a car before December, not next week, so I need to uh secure funding for the balance after trade-in because much like Elon I like to say funding secured before funding is secured and also I need to call my insurance company to get that set up.

OP
OP
RustyNails
Oct 26, 2017
If you want a car NOW, buy a P3D.

I put my original order in on 8/18/18. I got an email yesterday saying your car has been made and is leaving the factory. Today I confirmed my delivery appointment for next week. That's a turnaround of, uh, 20 days. The pace they are pushing the P3D's out is pretty insane, they are obviously making that end-of-quarter profitability rush right now. I just hope my car arrives fully assembled and without any defects or problems because goddamn. I was expecting a car before December, not next week, so I need to uh secure funding for the balance after trade-in because much like Elon I like to say funding secured before funding is secured and also I need to call my insurance company to get that set up.

Oct 25, 2017
FYI - Canadian here living in Calgary. I checked the Tesla site for the hell of it just now, and I got prompted to fill out the credit application! The Edit Design button is now gone. I think this is the first wave for Canadians being able to get regular AWD!

My configuration:

- Model 3 AWD
- Deep Blue Metallic paint
- 18" Aero Wheels
- Premium Black
- Enhanced Autopilot

Nov 8, 2017
Ahhhhhhh, I don't know what to do. Really wish I could go and test drive one. Do they do that at the dealerships?

I'm getting a vehicle within the next year, possibly sooner. I'd like a truck just for convenience sake. But my mind keeps saying I don't really need a truck. Only other thing on my mind is a model 3.

Oct 30, 2017
Italy
Ahhhhhhh, I don't know what to do. Really wish I could go and test drive one. Do they do that at the dealerships?

I'm getting a vehicle within the next year, possibly sooner. I'd like a truck just for convenience sake. But my mind keeps saying I don't really need a truck. Only other thing on my mind is a model 3.
Yes they do:
you can schedule one directly on their website https://www.tesla.com/drive?model=m3

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I think I'm close to finalizing my car loan (a teeny bit less than 3%), although I really hate how public information to verify your identity works. I was going to go with Tower FCU, which had me at 2.49%, but then their dumb questions messed up my application. Since I don't live in Maryland and couldn't go to one of their branches in person, I couldn't become a member. :(

(I thought about flying to MD, but oh well. :p)

I think I'll call and see when my delivery date is, since Tesla called me earlier, but I didn't answer.

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Just received a software update this morning. I scheduled the update to start while I'm at work. Anyone know what this new update does?
We don't know what version of the software you are on or what you are going to so it's pretty hard to say. Once your update is complete you should get a screen pop up that tells you what the update involved. Many times you will see something that will say the update has X but you already have it that's because they release multiple .X releases of the update so you may get more than one update for the top level update. Sorry I'm not sure the best way to explain that in text. LOL

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
As an apartment dweller, I'll have to power my car through a normal power adapter when I absolutely need to.

I'll use my work's charger once a week, since I only go in once a week. It's pretty far and out of the way, so I don't really plan on using it more than that.

In any case, I have a question. With the Model 3, I'll have to pay for Superchargers, so will it end up getting expensive? Will it be bad for the battery life if I continue to use it regularly? Can I change the "power mode" to Level 2 on the charger, so it won't be as bad.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I wonder what people who own Tesla cars are thinking right now. If Tesla goes under what happens to their cars? Who will fix them if they run into problems?
Owner here! This isn't a concern for me at all. The company, in my opinion, will not be going anywhere. I can't speak for what will happen to Musk or who the future owners might be.

Oct 29, 2017
Musk said in the Joe Rogan podcast that the Tesla X can dance ballet to the Trans-Siberian orchestra. He seemed pretty serious about it. I want to see it. Must be some easter egg.

Also, I'd be curious to see if Musk is increasing his share of Tesla at the moment. Conspiracy-hat on would be that he's tanking the stock on purpose to increase his share and stay in charge, especially since on the Joe Rogan podcast they didn't talk about SpaceX/Mars which is weird for Joe, as if it was off-topic lol.

edit: So Musk didn't admit it but it sounds like when they really go public with the solar tiles, they'll be announcing some AI-controlled air-conditioning system, seemed to be saying that it's key to have an optimal system to stop the waste people are having.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There's already an easter egg for X owners which makes the car blink the lights like a Christmas tree and open and close the falcon wing doors in time with the blinking lights. All you need to do is put some Trans-Siberian Orchestra on and that's probably what he's talking about.

Oct 25, 2017
As an apartment dweller, I'll have to power my car through a normal power adapter when I absolutely need to.

I'll use my work's charger once a week, since I only go in once a week. It's pretty far and out of the way, so I don't really plan on using it more than that.

In any case, I have a question. With the Model 3, I'll have to pay for Superchargers, so will it end up getting expensive? Will it be bad for the battery life if I continue to use it regularly? Can I change the "power mode" to Level 2 on the charger, so it won't be as bad.
Even in the most expensive municipalities, the fee to fully charge with a Supercharger will likely be half of what it would cost to fuel a moderatly efficient ICE, so cost-wise you should be fine. However, I live in a very similar situation to what you describe and when I took delivery of my car they strongly cautioned me against using Superchargers in that way (that often.) It is not great for the battery in the long run to rely on the Superchargers to be your local fueling station.

I just have a 120-volt outlet in my garage that I plug into nightly, luckily my commute is short enough that the charge I get from that overnight keeps me ahead of the drain and I do actually gain ground. I was told that even if that is all I could do it would be better than using Superchargers exclusively weekly or biweekly. So all that said, I would suggest using your resources at home and work to top yourself up as much as you can, and only resorting to the Superchargers when you know you a couple days away from 0 and you need to reset the clock so to speak.

Oct 25, 2017
Nnnnnnooooo! I was supposed to get my Model 3 tomorrow, but when the car was delivered to the service centre today, there was a paint imperfection (I went with blue). Delivery has now been pushed back to next week.

Ah well. I'm just glad it was caught.

Oct 25, 2017
Tempting but it's probably gonna be expensive and honestly I don't really need it my phone works maybe 95% of the time and 99% of the time after a airplane mode reset (5 seconds of time to resolve).
As someone who was used to my fob from my S, I'm going to get the fob for the 3 the moment it's available. Opening the trunk from the phone is a pain in the ass, with the fob you just stick your hand in your pocket and hit a button and the trunk pops open.

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
So my date got rescheduled, which is really inconvenient to say the least. My 3 was supposed to be here Saturday, but now they moved it to the middle of the week. That means I have to stay in LA for an entire week, instead of just a weekend. UGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGH

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who was used to my fob from my S, I'm going to get the fob for the 3 the moment it's available. Opening the trunk from the phone is a pain in the ass, with the fob you just stick your hand in your pocket and hit a button and the trunk pops open.
You can use the button under the trunk lid though? Unless you meant the frunk...

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome! I’ve had my Model 3 for two weeks and love it.

Only issue I have is when I get in my car, it always activated the windshield wiper, sometimes at the highest speed. My car is always parked in the home garage so there’s no reason for it to detect rain. Doesn’t stop until I exit the garage. If I manually turn off the windshield wipers and switch back to automatic, the automatic wipers don’t activate when there’s actual rain. Is this a common problem?

Oct 28, 2017
So a employee at my local Tesla store reached out to me about two weeks ago to see how I've been liking my Model 3. Literally earlier that day an issue sprung up where my car began leaking something as it was leaving a trail of liquid everywhere I went. So I responded back with my issues (which they then responded about a week later wanting photos):
  • Some very small, VERY minor paint blemishes exclusively on the front bumper. I also pointed these out to the Tesla rep when I took delivery of the car. I've also sent pics of this.
  • Panel alignment is fine except for in one spot that is critical for me: the trim around the driver's window. The alignment around the driver's window is off and I see it every time I look in my driver's side mirror so I see it pretty much every time im in the car. I have not sent any pictures of this but they have never asked for photos of this.
  • My left turn signal sticks. By that I mean it doesn't matter how I press my left turn signal as it stays on in a way that requires me to manually disable the left turn signal after I've made my turn.
  • The previously mentioned leaking which I have now sent them multiple photos
After sending photos it took the rep another week to respond to me to which they reply was essentially asking me what I thought the issue was and I responded by telling them I didn't know but whatever it was it apparently wasn't serious at the car is running fine and that I would like to get these issues taken care of ASAP. Now I'm back to radio silence from them which is frustrating because I assume that since they were asking for photos they would need to be the ones to set up a service appointment for me in order for Tesla to cover everything, right? I love the car but this has been a frustrating situation to deal with.

Oct 26, 2017
Awesome! I’ve had my Model 3 for two weeks and love it.

Only issue I have is when I get in my car, it always activated the windshield wiper, sometimes at the highest speed. My car is always parked in the home garage so there’s no reason for it to detect rain. Doesn’t stop until I exit the garage. If I manually turn off the windshield wipers and switch back to automatic, the automatic wipers don’t activate when there’s actual rain. Is this a common problem?
Yeah, I get that sometimes... especially after the last couple of firmware updates.