• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry for the delay, I mean rumors are rumors, but on the 2nd comment, this guy explains that AWD is moved up with LR battery and SR battery delayed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...ssion_what_is_everyone_doing_in_between_cars/
Who knows though, lots of FUD with Tesla.
In addition, I was planning to wait for the Standard Battery version depending on how the tax credits seem to fall into play. I have been told that the short range version is now delayed until September, I can't totally reveal that[source], but I'm assuming it will be public soon. Let's just say a friend who knows.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Sorry for the delay, I mean rumors are rumors, but on the 2nd comment, this guy explains that AWD is moved up with LR battery and SR battery delayed.
https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotor...ssion_what_is_everyone_doing_in_between_cars/
Who knows though, lots of FUD with Tesla.

It IS possible that is the case as they may want to push through all of the people who are willing to buy one with long range battery first. It's more money for Tesla's bottom line.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It IS possible that is the case as they may want to push through all of the people who are willing to buy one with long range battery first. It's more money for Tesla's bottom line.
Exactly what I was thinking, higher profit margin sooner. They really need to make a lot of cars, so maybe keeping the battery/premium interior the same and just swapping out RWD for AWD isn't that much more a complication than getting SR/standard interior.
Definitely sucks for people looking at getting the 35k version though, because we know with a high confidence that $7,500 tax credit drops to $3,750 in at the start of October. There's always the chance the tax credit expires sooner too, but I believe they will do what they can to get most people the tax credit

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Tesla's customer service and sales department really let me down. Took me two months and I don't know how many inquiries to get a refund on my pre-order, and even when I told their sales department "this is too much of a hassle, just keep the money and my pre-order" the sales people didn't even bite at that. Still think the Model 3 is an attractive car, and I might get one in the future, but boy did that process leave a bad taste in my mouth in regards to working with them in the future.

Oct 25, 2017

I have currently selected that I want the standard battery, but when invited to configure I was planning on long range, just without the"premium package" if I get pushed back to Septemberner because of this, I'll be pissed!

LucidMomentum

Nov 18, 2017
I for one am not too worried about the delay as I still have another year on my lease lol.

My end goal is by then the long range battery will be the same cost as my current lease payments so I can get away from gasoline.

Tax credits may be gone by then which is ass but oh well.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
What color/wheel combo do you guys like the best?

bq4an8ykhpdz.jpg

I'm liking the color combo Edmund's used in their review (4th down in left side)

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
If you buy one of these, INSPECT the hell out of it!

My in laws bought a Model X 100D and found a crack in the shell under the trunk lift gate where there should not be. The factory had tried to cover it with silicone. Not only that, there were numerous paint defects and body work defects. When sent back to a brand new pilot Tesla body shop, they estimated $8k worth of repairs for their brand new vehicle from the factory.

QC is definitely an area where improvement is needed. Love Tesla, but do your due diligence. Tesla actually had to offer to buy my in laws car back because of how bad it was.

Donos

Nov 15, 2017
Everything is on the tablet.
Don't know why HUDs with speed on the display is not catching on as standard or even option like other things (e.g. like corner lights for turning). Well, i hope they learn for the next model. I like the Tesla except for the interior decisions (like the tablet)

Byshop303

Oct 31, 2017
Don't know why HUDs with speed on the display is not catching on as standard or even option like other things (e.g. like corner lights for turning). Well, i hope they learn for the next model. I like the Tesla except for the interior decisions (like the tablet)
A HUD is one of the sort of "holy grail" items that Tesla fans have been asking about for years, but Tesla hasn't said anything about implementing them in any of their cars. There was a ton of speculation prior to the prototype Model 3 reveal that this would be the first car they introduced it on but obviously it didn't end up happening. Telsa hasn't done a significant refresh of any aspect of the interior of the S or the X for quite a long time (or arguably ever), since even the differences between the instrument display between the 2012-2013 Teslas and the 2014+ Teslas are pretty minor. Instead they came up with a new UI for the Model 3. A lot of people theorize that a HUD will be something that'll get added later to the Model S/X as a way to differentiate them from the 3 further.

Regarding 3 availability, I live in Colorado and according to my local service center they've only delivered around half a dozen of them (there was one in the lot when I was there) so far, and one of them was to Elon Musk's brother in Boulder.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
So two of the confirmed insiders at Tesla Motor Club confirmed the Model S will NOT be getting any type of update this year because of production issues with the 3.

That means I'm unfortunately out. Going to go with a Mercedes E43, Audi S5 Sportback or the new Audi A7.

Oct 27, 2017

My in laws bought a Model X 100D and found a crack in the shell under the trunk lift gate where there should not be. The factory had tried to cover it with silicone. Not only that, there were numerous paint defects and body work defects. When sent back to a brand new pilot Tesla body shop, they estimated $8k worth of repairs for their brand new vehicle from the factory.

QC is definitely an area where improvement is needed. Love Tesla, but do your due diligence. Tesla actually had to offer to buy my in laws car back because of how bad it was.

Wtf

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the reasons I am waffling on a Model S. I could buy an E Class, 5 series or an A7 for the same money and the fit and finish of all of those are miles beyond the Model S.
Well I mean you are buying the S because you want an awesome electric car so you aren't spewing hydrocarbons into the atmosphere and contributing to climate change and the ongoing mass extinction event on our Earth. If you don't care about that, then you can definitely buy an ICE car with a much nicer interior than what the S offers. It's amazing what over a century of experience building cars can do for a product. People really underestimate just how much sheer accumulated knowledge goes into every ICE car, even the cheapest ones. Tesla had to learn how to build a car from scratch in 10 years with no prior knowledge since no one in the existing car industry wanted to be near them.

So two of the confirmed insiders at Tesla Motor Club confirmed the Model S will NOT be getting any type of update this year because of production issues with the 3.

That means I'm unfortunately out. Going to go with a Mercedes E43, Audi S5 Sportback or the new Audi A7.
The S was just refreshed last year. Tesla doesn't do model years like traditional carmakers. Every few months, they add whatever little improvements they can think of. Also they push software updates pretty frequently and some of the changes are pretty meaningful QoL improvements. So you can't think of the S like a regular car, where one is a 2017 and one is a 2018 or whatever. With the S, there are multiple rolling versions throughout the year and it's lifetime and the refresh milestone where the front end changed isn't even where they switched Autopilot hardware versions.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you have a picture of the spot ? Using adhesives isn't uncommon in production.

Streetcleaner

Dec 1, 2017
I got to spend about an hour with a Model 3 at a private track event recently. Did not drive the Model 3 on the actual track, but did around the paddock at low speeds.

It was the long range model w/ Premium interior & Enhanced Autopilot. Sticker price was $49,000. Interior is very spartan with about 11 visible tactile buttons total: 4 window switches/1 door lock on driver side, and 1 window switch/1 door lock on all other doors. USB charging port for every passenger, 2 large storage compartments in the center consoles + glove box.

The large tablet screen is a bit odd at first, but the User Interface, User Experience, responsiveness, and layout is well thought out. I'm still a believer in having tactile controls while driving so I can have my eyes on the road, but this will force a change in behavior. There are individual settings you can create that adjusts your seat/steering wheel and driving position. Basically whatever account you're logged into with your phone and you walk up to the car will adjust those settings for you. It's a strange feeling just being able to walk up to the car, get in and have it turn on without doing much else. Walking away and locking the car is quite strange at first too since I'm the type of person that has to make sure it's locked.

There's tons of room in the interior. Lot's of headroom and an average adult can sit comfortably in the back. The rear trunk is pretty damn huge, enough to fit a couple wheels/tire in there.

Driving the car felt really smooth and responsive. Again, I only drove at parking lot speeds. TONS of visibility from all angles, glass everywhere with small pillars. Forward visibility is also pretty awesome. Reminds me of the first gen NSX's. Rear visibility isn't as bad as some review make it out to be. This isn't my first time driving an EV, so I'm used to the silence and instant torque.

Things that do suck: Back up camera isn't as high resolution and is extremely fish-eyed, so it's hard to gauge distance. Besides door locks and windows, everything else is controlled by the tablet screen. Not all the onscreen features are available on the phone app either. The steering wheel has 2 vertical scroll switches. The left switch controls horizontal movements of the steering wheel and side mirrors, which feels awkward.

The Model 3 is definitely the EV benchmark at that price range, maybe even up to a low-mid end Model S. First impression was that the car did not feel like a $49,000 car because of how spartan it was inside. Spending some time inside the cabin and driving it definitely changed my impressions for the better. I'll definitely keep my reservation in the coming months.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Once you have had it that way, you'll wonder why other cars have millions of little knobs and dials everywhere. All that shit is superfluous and archaic on traditional cars. A touch screen is all you need. Really.
This. I will say the touchscreen can be a little distracting if you are trying to mess with while driving (change audio source for example) but Elon recently twitted that Alexa like voice control is coming so I expect that nitpick to be addressed.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Once you have had it that way, you'll wonder why other cars have millions of little knobs and dials everywhere. All that shit is superfluous and archaic on traditional cars. A touch screen is all you need. Really.
Yeah maybe. I agree with what you say. It's just that looking at the tablet seems more distracting than having a quick view at the speed meter. And some knobs round the steering wheel are easy to use while you're looking at the road. But maybe it's just some getting used to.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the car. In a car with manual climate controls, I think knobs are useful, at least for temperature. With automatic climate control, you adjust things rarely, so it makes sense not to dedicate permanent space to them.

I think it's much easier to quickly scroll through things with a knob, like radio stations, for example. In the two years I've had my ATS, I've noticed I pretty much stick to my presets when listening to FM or XM, since my options are: scan one by one with button on steering wheel or using touchscreen; use voice control to say station name or number; use touchscreen to enter station number; select from a list on touch screen. The last two in particular feel unsafe while driving. But again, outside of those use cases, a knob's just sitting there taking up space.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Tells me you never drove in a car that has something like BMWs iDrive system in place, where you can operate the cars stereo, map, calls etc with that click wheel without taking your eyes of the road once you get the hang of it. Taktile feedback is good, Teslas marketing somehow made it hip to sell the cheapest option, a touchpad, as some sort of exiting thing.

Its like your iPhones mute switch was an app. shit is inconvenient.

Astronut325

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA

What are you desiring in a new design of the Model S? More creature comforts? More performance? Better interior materials? Different exterior looks?

Have you test driven a Model S and the other cars you're considering?

Deleted member 1852

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tells me you never drove in a car that has something like BMWs iDrive system in place, where you can operate the cars stereo, map, calls etc with that click wheel without taking your eyes of the road once you get the hang of it. Taktile feedback is good, Teslas marketing somehow made it hip to sell the cheapest option, a touchpad, as some sort of exiting thing.

Its like your iPhones mute switch was an app. shit is inconvenient.
I love the mute switch and I wish more phones used it. But I somehow survived without it before.

There are two scroll wheels on the Teslas and a number of important functions can be operated by them.

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
What are you desiring in a new design of the Model S? More creature comforts? More performance? Better interior materials? Different exterior looks?

Have you test driven a Model S and the other cars you're considering?
Definitely an updated interior that can compete with Mercedes or Audi. The price point is comparable to an A7 or E-class. I understand the batteries added up to the cost but the interior doesn't even compare to a C Class or A4 which are a third of the price. Basically, the fit and finish of the interior is very dated - the first model S from 2012 basically has the same interior. In some cases, like the dash, it's acually better since it used to be Alcantara. Obviously, there has been improvements like with the seats and cup holders in the Center console. The doors, for example, don't have any storage though. The interior is also pretty noisy, lots of outdoor noise, compared to an E class for example. The computer in the S is also dated, the screen lags like crazy, it should be as speedy as the 3.

For an exterior update, not much - I love it. I do hate how a car with so many cameras doesn't have a 360 degree camera option for parking. The new A7 can basically 3D model the car for parking, which is incredible tech. I also hate how the mirrors don't have blind spot assist.

Definitely drove the S - love it. But I am also the type of guy who doesn't buy end of life products, I like the newest and freshest, definitely an early adopter.i would be pretty disspoointed if there was a big update in Q4 or 2019 like is currently planned based on the insiders, who have been very good at predicting things.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
As someone using an iPad mini in the car for navigation/spotify/radio purposes, i'm very worried about the prospect of having to use a giant touchscreen display for nearly everything.

You might not think it, but accurately touching a big flat featureless slab without any physical feedback to your fingers while in a moving vehicle is not great. In fact, I think it's terribly dangerous in many cases. It's going to steal the driver's attention more than you'd think.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm genuinely interested in this car. It's on the high end of what I personally would like to pay for a car but it's low enough for an electric car to grab my attention and my current car (a nearly paid off 2013 Challenger - which I got for a steal) should make a decent dent into it. I'm also pretty early into my research of the Model 3 and electric cars in general (though it seems like I have time considering it'll probably be at least a year before I could even get one). My brother (who lives in LA, I live in Ohio) ordered one about a year ago and he hasn't gotten his yet. I don't do a ton of long range driving so I probably don't need the long range battery. I live about 30 minutes from Cleveland so I just do the occasional 30 minute drive and based on my research there's a number of Tesla stores/repair centers and a number of Super charging stations that are all about a 30 minute drive from me (and that's not even including all the ones in Cleveland). I live about 10-15 minutes from where I work and I just discovered that the party center directly across from where I work has a charging station. I don't know if it's a Tesla charger, what the cost of charging there is, where on the premises the charger(s) would be located, how many chargers they have or what the availability of the charger is to non-party center customers BUT I know they have at least one car charger. Also, my understanding is that when you charge a Tesla at a Super Charging station it takes about 30 minutes to charge fully...

Ok, I'm kind of rambling. My point is despite what my current car may suggest I am not really a car person but for the first time ever I'm starting to understand what it means to get excited about a car. This car screams to me as it's a car for me. I'm also wondering if I should get just a mobile connector adapter in my car or get a full on car charger in my garage?

Method

Oct 25, 2017
I live about 30 minutes from Cleveland so I just do the occasional 30 minute drive and based on my research there's a number of Tesla stores/repair centers and a number of Super charging stations that are all about a 30 minute drive from me (and that's not even including all the ones in Cleveland). I live about 10-15 minutes from where I work and I just discovered that the party center directly across from where I work has a charging station. I don't know if it's a Tesla charger, what the cost of charging there is, where on the premises the charger(s) would be located, how many chargers they have or what the availability of the charger is to non-party center customers BUT I know they have at least one car charger. Also, my understanding is that when you charge a Tesla at a Super Charging station it takes about 30 minutes to charge fully...

Ok, I'm kind of rambling. My point is despite what my current car may suggest I am not really a car person but for the first time ever I'm starting to understand what it means to get excited about a car. This car screams to me as it's a car for me. I'm also wondering if I should get just a mobile connector adapter in my car or get a full on car charger in my garage?

So I have a 2017 Model S and my co-worker just recently picked up his Model 3 and I'll try and answer your questions for you.

One thing to realize about owning a Tesla is that you can charge your car at home every night - it's a different way to fundamentally think about your car and using it. In California where I live, Electric Car owners can call PG&E (our electric utility company) and let them know we own an Electric Car for reduced pricing during off-peak hours. Off-Peak hours for electricity usage are usually between 11pm - 6am. As you are thinking about purchasing a Model 3, you will not have free supercharging for life (which is only a feature for new Model S/X owners). Right now, I have only charged my Model S at a supercharger once in the 1500 miles I have driven it, otherwise I have been charging exclusively at home during off peak hours (11pm to 6am - there is a setting within the Tesla which lets you choose when to start charging the car.)

As I charge my car at home, there are two options for rate of charging. You can pay an electrician to come out and install an additional 240v plug - which is the same plug that your Electric Dryer uses if you have one - or you can just plug the charger into a regular 120v plug. If you have the electrician come out to install the plug, the cost is between $400-1500 depending on labor and permit costs in your area. If you do not and decide to use the 120v, you can save that $400-1500 but charging is much, much slower.

Charge rates:
Regular wall plug (120v): 4 miles charged per hour
Have an Electrician install a new plug (240v): 20-35 miles charged per hour depending on how much amperage the plug is receiving when installed.

As I mentioned, I have been solely charging my car at home using the 120v plug. I had called PG&E when I purchased to enable the 'off peak hour rates' and only charge the car between 11pm-6am. For 1200-1300 miles of in-home charging, I have calculated that I have spent approximately $44.

I will add more to this post later but hopefully this helps.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So I have a 2017 Model S and my co-worker just recently picked up his Model 3 and I'll try and answer your questions for you.

One thing to realize about owning a Tesla is that you can charge your car at home every night - it's a different way to fundamentally think about your car and using it. In California where I live, Electric Car owners can call PG&E (our electric utility company) and let them know we own an Electric Car for reduced pricing during off-peak hours. Off-Peak hours for electricity usage are usually between 11pm - 6am. As you are thinking about purchasing a Model 3, you will not have free supercharging for life (which is only a feature for new Model S/X owners). Right now, I have only charged my Model S at a supercharger once in the 1500 miles I have driven it, otherwise I have been charging exclusively at home during off peak hours (11pm to 6am - there is a setting within the Tesla which lets you choose when to start charging the car.)

As I charge my car at home, there are two options for rate of charging. You can pay an electrician to come out and install an additional 240v plug - which is the same plug that your Electric Dryer uses if you have one - or you can just plug the charger into a regular 120v plug. If you have the electrician come out to install the plug, the cost is between $400-1500 depending on labor and permit costs in your area. If you do not and decide to use the 120v, you can save that $400-1500 but charging is much, much slower.

Charge rates:
Regular wall plug (120v): 4 miles charged per hour
Have an Electrician install a new plug (240v): 20-35 miles charged per hour depending on how much amperage the plug is receiving when installed.

As I mentioned, I have been solely charging my car at home using the 120v plug. I had called PG&E when I purchased to enable the 'off peak hour rates' and only charge the car between 11pm-6am. For 1200-1300 miles of in-home charging, I have calculated that I have spent approximately $44.

I will add more to this post later but hopefully this helps.

This does! I had actually been looking at some of that stuff on Tesla's site:
https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation#outlets-adapters

But I had no idea of the sort of costs involved nor did I know about the 'off peak hour' rates that is offered by some electric companies (I'll need to look into that). Question about charging away from the house at a charging station: How exactly does that work? I mean, when charging takes at least 30 minutes... could I go and grab something to eat from a nearby restaurant or something? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm kind of trying to wrap my head around how some of this works I guess.

FSP

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Saw a Model S near work today and stopped to enjoy its presence for a bit. Awesome car.

It is such a shame that the 3 is slow off of the factory line, as I am awaiting the day where central London air doesn't poison me!

Method

Oct 25, 2017
This does! I had actually been looking at some of that stuff on Tesla's site:
https://www.tesla.com/support/home-charging-installation#outlets-adapters

But I had no idea of the sort of costs involved nor did I know about the 'off peak hour' rates that is offered by some electric companies (I'll need to look into that). Question about charging away from the house at a charging station: How exactly does that work? I mean, when charging takes at least 30 minutes... could I go and grab something to eat from a nearby restaurant or something? Sorry if that's a dumb question but I'm kind of trying to wrap my head around how some of this works I guess.

How long is your commute round trip to work? I'm assuming 30 miles or less a day based on your previous post. If so, you would not even have to worry about charging at a charging station away from home unless you are on a road trip - even with the 120v plug, you would get a full charge of your car every night in 8 hours (8 hours of charging x 4 miles per hr charging = up to 32 miles charged a night). Your electricity bill will barely be affected if you already call about reduced electricity rates for off peak hours.

Albeit when you are on a road trip, charging at a superstation takes about 30-45 minutes (depends on how many other tesla's are getting supercharged) for ~250 miles. At a random charging station you can find anywhere, it usually charges at about 24 miles per hour. What you would do in the mean time? Eat food, restroom break, etc. If you are ever in California and going from the Bay Area to LA (or vice versa) stop by this:

So awesome. The car automatically shows an access code on your screen and you can enter this Cafe specially created just for this superstation lol

I might consider doing this, however I don't know where that Tesla badge that goes in the middle comes from, I'd have to find a source for that.
Those are included on every Tesla :)

Last edited:

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
How long is your commute round trip to work? I'm assuming 30 miles or less a day based on your previous post. If so, you would not even have to worry about charging at a charging station away from home unless you are on a road trip - even with the 120v plug, you would get a full charge of your car every night in 8 hours (8 hours of charging x 4 miles per hr charging = up to 32 miles charged a night). Your electricity bill will barely be affected if you already call about reduced electricity rates for off peak hours.

Albeit when you are on a road trip, charging at a superstation takes about 30-45 minutes (depends on how many other tesla's are getting supercharged) for ~250 miles. At a random charging station you can find anywhere, it usually charges at about 24 miles per hour. What you would do in the mean time? Eat food, restroom break, etc. If you are ever in California and going from the Bay Area to LA (or vice versa) stop by this:

So awesome. The car automatically shows an access code on your screen and you can enter this Cafe specially created just for this superstation

My work is like 5 miles from my house so I'll be good there, lol. So that Super Charging station video sent me down a Super Charging station video rabbit hole. I also came across this Business Insider video series where they went across the country in a Model X:

Of course they don't have any real problems until they get to Ohio :/

Also, the place across from my work that has two superchargers is actually a Holiday Inn Express and Tesla's site lists it as "Available for customers. Please see front desk" which sounds like it's only available to Holiday Inn Express customers which is real dumb.

UPDATE: I'm scheduled to test drive the Model S next Tuesday. I figured of the currently available Tesla lineup the Model S is probably the most like the Model 3. So if I drive it and like it I'll probably pull the trigger on a Model 3 pre-order.

Last edited: