• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I hate that I'm strongly contemplating trading my Model 3 for a Model Y. I love my Model 3 but I think the Model Y would be better for me. It would handle better in the snow, have more space (which I'm sure my dog would appreciate), and would be far more comfortable for me to get in and out of (being tall can certainly have its downsides). Those may seem like minor issues but I'm viewing this car as my car for... probably at least the next decade? And the Y would fit that bill a little nicer.
I understand. I'm 6' 2", and while it's not super uncomfortable to get in and out of the car, it is a bit low.

The only thing that would really push me on the Y would be air suspension. (I couldn't be arsed to check if it has it or not.)

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I understand. I'm 6' 2", and while it's not super uncomfortable to get in and out of the car, it is a bit low.

The only thing that would really push me on the Y would be air suspension. (I couldn't be arsed to check if it has it or not.)
yes I doubt the Y will have adjustable air suspension.

That said I'm seriously considering changing my Y pre-order to the truck whenever they announce it. We currently use our minivan like a truck so it makes sense to actually get a truck.
My wife is on board, but it was funny we both said the other day neither of us would ever get a regular gas truck, but an electric truck, we would.

Tesla owners: any quality complaints?
We've put 10k miles on our 3 since December. Not a single quality issue. We both love it.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Posted in the latest EV thread but figured it belongs here. Tesla just dropped the price on Model 3 to match the tax credit drop and pearl white is now the included base color:

screen-shot-2019-07-16-at-10-28-33-png.430115

For anyone not following closely Autopilot comes standard now with all models, the tax credit is now $1875 and the standard range $35k can be ordered off menu, but does not come with Autopilot so it's kinda a crappy deal.

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, I'm still a little miffed that Autopilot is standard now, when they were trying to squeeze me for another 5k a year ago.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
We got EAP when we paid for it, the 'autopilot' that is standard is a fairly gimped version of the feature if you read up on it.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So I was contemplating a Y but if I were to trade my 2018 LR RWD Red Model 3 (with 9k miles on it) for a 2015/2016 or newer Model S what do you all think the downsides to that would be? I would preferably get a Model S with the current nose cone as those not only look nicer (IMO) but also seem a little more in line with the current Model S in terms of tech & spec? I love my Model 3 but I'm looking at the S because if I could get something bigger that's AWD, possibly not as low to get into for a price that's not too far from what I paid for my Model 3 that would be great. The mileage hit would be unfortunate but I feel like the pros could outweigh the cons from what I've seen. I've seen a surprising amount of used Model S online from 2016-2018 in the 50k price range. Also what is there to consider with miles on a car like this? Obviously lower is still better but anything else to consider here?

Ultimately me getting serious about this would depend on what I could get as a trade for my Model 3, the feel of driving the Model S, what's available and frankly what all of you have to say.

EDIT: So it looks like the major downgrade would be that I would take a pretty significant hit in charging and supercharging speeds :/

Last edited:

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty annoyed they went with VIN deployment for the update. Connecting to wifi is not an easy option for me so I tend to miss this updates completely and need to make a service request through the app for them to force it. If I have an update pending then I know to tether my phone or seek a parking spot at work with an access point.

Oct 25, 2017
v10 is definitely rad. I wonder if they're going to roll out Premium Connectivity soon, and if video streaming will be included. I wouldn't expect Netflix over LTE to be free for long.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been considering leasing my first model 3 for a while now.
rationale: new job, better pay, job gives me travel reimbursement(by mileage). The job is less than half a mile from a super charger. And also they installed free electric car chargers 15 minutes from my job. I was just gonna do the standard model for my first one. And do the 15,000 option due to how often i have to drive at least a month per quarter.
to top it off my lease on my current car ends next year 40 month lease and Tesla called for a test drive and they said they can help me out of my lease early around the 6 month left mark.
i hope it'll work out if not 🤷🏽‍♂️ Still have some investigating to do.
but man the first time i stepped foot in one... didn't even drive i was already sold

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been considering leasing my first model 3 for a while now.
rationale: new job, better pay, job gives me travel reimbursement(by mileage). The job is less than half a mile from a super charger. And also they installed free electric car chargers 15 minutes from my job. I was just gonna do the standard model for my first one. And do the 15,000 option due to how often i have to drive at least a month per quarter.
to top it off my lease on my current car ends next year 40 month lease and Tesla called for a test drive and they said they can help me out of my lease early around the 6 month left mark.
i hope it'll work out if not 🤷🏽‍♂️ Still have some investigating to do.
but man the first time i stepped foot in one... didn't even drive i was already sold
definitely do some investigation. when leasing was announced it seemed like a joke— 30% more expensive than a bmw lease for example. the pricing didn't make any sense and felt like a marking a check box of payment options.

chronos4590

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
definitely do some investigation. when leasing was announced it seemed like a joke— 30% more expensive than a bmw lease for example. the pricing didn't make any sense and felt like a marking a check box of payment options.
Yeah I am still looking the lease is only 50-80 more than what I am already paying for my 2017 lease, So I didn't mind the price of the lease, but I am making sure in the end it'll be worth it. Insurance will probably be the other breaking point, but from what I heard about insuring a Tesla(not from Tesla itself) it isn't as pricey as others could be.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Yeah I am still looking the lease is only 50-80 more than what I am already paying for my 2017 lease, So I didn't mind the price of the lease, but I am making sure in the end it'll be worth it. Insurance will probably be the other breaking point, but from what I heard about insuring a Tesla(not from Tesla itself) it isn't as pricey as others could be.
Insurance is expensive, but I don't know what people are used to. I'm in California.

I ended up switching to MetroMile (pay per mile insurance). But it's been going up over the last year though too.

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh
I want to trade my Hellcat for a Model 3 or Y but I can't due to the not being able to charge at home or anywhere close (Bought a townhome without a garage. Also my parking spot is over 100ft from my place.) Nothing in our work complex and the closests supercharger is 30+ miles away.

It's super weird there's no superchargers south of Pittsburgh.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Been hoping to buy a Tesla for a long time now. Finally got things lined up and will be buying one early 2020. Just had a Nema 14-50 installed in my garage. Now just gotta wait for end of year bonuses to hit.

Really want to do the AWD one, but not sure if I'll be able to. Any thoughts on what Tesla might do/change after this quarter and the loss of the tax credit?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Been hoping to buy a Tesla for a long time now. Finally got things lined up and will be buying one early 2020. Just had a Nema 14-50 installed in my garage. Now just gotta wait for end of year bonuses to hit.

Really want to do the AWD one, but not sure if I'll be able to. Any thoughts on what Tesla might do/change after this quarter and the loss of the tax credit?
they've lowered the price after each tax rebate cut.

but then again they just raised the price and keep raising the price of autopilot/fsd. so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lunar FC

Oct 25, 2017
I am also looking to get a Model 3 in early 2020. My currently plan is to get a Long Range AWD in red. In effort to save some money I am likely going to wait on Full Self Driving for the time being. I was wondering if it is the same price (currently $7000) after the fact or is it more? Also do you guys feel like the FSD is actually worth that amount of money in its current state?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I am also looking to get a Model 3 in early 2020. My currently plan is to get a Long Range AWD in red. In effort to save some money I am likely going to wait on Full Self Driving for the time being. I was wondering if it is the same price (currently $7000) after the fact or is it more? Also do you guys feel like the FSD is actually worth that amount of money in its current state?
its more after the fact.

Oct 25, 2017
They've changed the pricing model on everything so much in the past year, it's impossible to say. I do believe FSD will increase over the next year, though. Honestly I think the standard autopilot is 90% of what most people really want. The FSD features available now are cool but not worth the asking price. A year from now, who knows. I have FSD but it's hard to recommend.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They've changed the pricing model on everything so much in the past year, it's impossible to say. I do believe FSD will increase over the next year, though. Honestly I think the standard autopilot is 90% of what most people really want. The FSD features available now are cool but not worth the asking price. A year from now, who knows. I have FSD but it's hard to recommend.
i'm actually wondering if it might end up being the opposite. for now say that it's going to be more expensive in the future to get people to buy now, then announce later they figured out cost savings and make it cheaper for previous owners to buy in. unless the 3.0 computer costs more than 7k until the end of time

this is kind of what happened with entertainment features in the m3 sr+. originally you could only get streaming services and web browser with premium, but then they rolled it out to everyone for free

but yeah, when it comes to tesla, don't trust anything they say unless it's live and real

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
So my wife is in the market for the long range, FSD package. Honestly, Im considering getting the standard off menu if we're going to have a charge in our house and Im likely to replace my car in the next year...all I see is overwhelming praise for the Model 3, Im guessing that holds true here?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I don't think that's currently true.

"Full Self-Driving Capability is available for purchase post-delivery, prices are likely to increase over time with new feature releases"

and even then, it's Tesla, so who the fuck knows
yea i looked its the same price if we wanted to upgrade. I guess they changed it? Or its because auto pilot is now included?

For us to buy auto pilot its now 3k i know for a fact it wasn't that much when we bought it. I wish we had, but my wife didnt want it.

So my wife is in the market for the long range, FSD package. Honestly, Im considering getting the standard off menu if we're going to have a charge in our house and Im likely to replace my car in the next year...all I see is overwhelming praise for the Model 3, Im guessing that holds true here?
we love ours. Great car, fun to drive. Next to no maintenance. We've put 20k on it since dec 31st last year.

Last edited:

Lunar FC

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Yeah personally the price seems outrageous for the current feature set. When/if full self driving on the model 3 is available is when I think I will buy in. But that seems like it is quite a ways off.

I haven't followed the tesla world religiously so i'm trying to catch up before making this purchase. My biggest worry is just them announcing either a price drop or new feature set that I won't have access to. Do ya'll feel like it's a pretty good time to get into a model 3?

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Yeah personally the price seems outrageous for the current feature set. When/if full self driving on the model 3 is available is when I think I will buy in. But that seems like it is quite a ways off.

I haven't followed the tesla world religiously so i'm trying to catch up before making this purchase. My biggest worry is just them announcing either a price drop or new feature set that I won't have access to. Do ya'll feel like it's a pretty good time to get into a model 3?

Seeing as the Model S and X are due for a refresh long before the 3, and the fact that attention is gonna be on Model Y and the Cybertruck for a while, now seems like a perfect time to buy a Model 3. I doubt is gonna see any major revisions for a while and it is still the best EV on the market.

Deleted member 2652

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i think there has to be some big mixup in pricing within 2 years. cybertruck costing as much as a model 3 doesn't make sense to me

that said, i drive other cars of the same class (bmw, merc, volvo, etc) pretty often and i'm always excited to get back in my 3. so i don't necessarily think the current pricing is bad at all

Lunar FC

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help y'all. One last question! Is there a hard order date to be grandfathered into the 1,875 fed tax credit? The car has to be delivered before the end of the year correct? Thanks.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

So I'm finally getting my Model 3 this month, I can't stress enough to shop around and get as many quotes as it takes because lots of companies just want to rip Tesla people off it seems. I have Geico with my current car and for just the most basic coverage they wanted $360(!) a month. Just got a quote from Progressive for a absolute max coverage in every single category for $85 a month lol

Lunar FC

Oct 25, 2017

Odinson

Oct 26, 2017
Riverview, FL
Test drove it on Sunday. Had a very helpful rep at the store. Everything we looked at in inventory went fast so wound up just placing the order online. Ordered a SR+ on Tuesday. Hoping I get it before the 31st.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Got my SR Friday My wife's LR is taking much longer...they estimate it won't be here until the 23rd when we both ordered the day after thanksgiving.

This is easily the best car I've ever owned. It's pretty damn incredible how fun it is to drive.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

This is insane, Model 3 so far is not showing much depreciation and in some cases negative depreciation lol something people need to ponder when cross shopping

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Got my SR Friday My wife's LR is taking much longer...they estimate it won't be here until the 23rd when we both ordered the day after thanksgiving.

This is easily the best car I've ever owned. It's pretty damn incredible how fun it is to drive.
this is my experience as well. Literally the best and funnest car i've ever owned. but dont post that in main, lest you be labeled a musk fanboy.

Odinson

Oct 26, 2017
Riverview, FL
Got my delivery date for this Friday the 20th! So glad I went into the store in the mall. Our rep has really been a big help during the whole process. Answering any questions we had, keeping us updated about our trade in, and just keeping us updated in general.

Hooker

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up my M3 yesterday (stock LR AWD), holy hell is it a fun ride!! Still getting used to the lack of a clutch (scary moments when you realise you're flooring the brake pedal instead :O).

Not entirely convinced by the (design) decisions of the infotainment system and the official app is terrible. Playing back FLAC/ALAC from a Samsung T5 with dashcam enabled (through the Jeda USB hub) does not work for me, as if there's not enough bandwidth to playback the music. Going to try tomorrow with lossy files.

Other than that, this thing's awesome!

Hooker

Oct 28, 2017
Main standouts for me: performance and how the functionality is laid out. It feels like not enough resources have been dedicated to this part of the experience.

Disclaimer: my profession is the designing information architecture (some consider this UX design) for complex systems –– and my speciality is apps. I'm probably a tad more critical than most :).

Oct 25, 2017
Ooh well yeah I suppose you have a very informed perspective on it. You would have been miserable a year ago when the app wasn't half as good as it is now.

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
My father is looking to join in the Model 3 club. He had a major engine service that costed him $8k on his v8 biturbo Benz that he uses daily. He wants to park it and use a Model 3 as his new daily b/c of the almost no maintenance.

My question is related to our quote of 4-7 weeks for delivery. How accurate has the quote been for you guys?

Heretic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My father is looking to join in the Model 3 club. He had a major engine service that costed him $8k on his v8 biturbo Benz that he uses daily. He wants to park it and use a Model 3 as his new daily b/c of the almost no maintenance.

My question is related to our quote of 4-7 weeks for delivery. How accurate has the quote been for you guys?
Have him check inventory also