• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-supercharger-in-car-payment-software-update/
Tesla updates Supercharger pricing structure, rolls out in-car payment feature

Tesla has updated the pricing structure for its Supercharger network, including terms for its existing idle fee policy and costs associated with pay-per-use Supercharging. The idle fee update will impact all Model S, Model X, and Model 3 drivers that utilize the company's high-powered, global charging network, regardless of whether they are enrolled in free unlimited Supercharging or not.

Supercharger idle fees, first introduced in late 2016 as a means to deter vehicle owners from occupying a charging stall when the vehicle has already met its intended state of charge, have been updated to further encourage owners to move their vehicles from stalls and improve the Supercharging experience for all drivers. Tesla has updated the flat idle fee of $0.40/minute to take into account station occupancy, as follows:

Full details at the link. Didn't know this was a thing but it makes sense. They are also adding an in-car payment.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Super weird bug while driving to work this morning. I was listening to music from my iPhone via Bluetooth when my wife called me and I answered. After I hung up, the music sound is replaced by something that sounds like a helicopter propeller. I switched audio to Streaming instead and I still get the same helicopter sound. At this point, I notice my blinker sound has changed. Instead of a "tick tock tick tock" rhythm, it now goes "... tock... tock". When I finally get to work and park, the alert sound for when you get too close to something also sounds like the helicopter. I tried shutting off my car and reactivate it but it still makes the weird sound.

I'm going to open a support ticket, but anyone experience anything like this before?

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Super weird bug while driving to work this morning. I was listening to music from my iPhone via Bluetooth when my wife called me and I answered. After I hung up, the music sound is replaced by something that sounds like a helicopter propeller. I switched audio to Streaming instead and I still get the same helicopter sound. At this point, I notice my blinker sound has changed. Instead of a "tick tock tick tock" rhythm, it now goes "... tock... tock". When I finally get to work and park, the alert sound for when you get too close to something also sounds like the helicopter. I tried shutting off my car and reactivate it but it still makes the weird sound.

I'm going to open a support ticket, but anyone experience anything like this before?

I've had it happen. Reboot fixes it.

mintzilla

Nov 6, 2017
Canada
Not Tesla exactly but wondering if anyone has a Volkswagen egolf? Thoughts on it? 200km range is kinda shit but it's not that expensive of a car.

Edit: 200 not 300

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Finally, after three delays and five days of being in LA--instead of just the weekend--I finally got my car!

I didn't get a good pic, since I picked it up in the evening, but I'll take one in the morning.

There are at least two issues with the car. The first should be a simple fix. EAP wasn't enabled. The service rep said that they now added my VIN to their whitelist, and that the OTA update would correct it by the morning.

The other issue is that the glass roof had a bit of a scratch/ding, so they said they would call me to take it to the service center.

And finally, the house (low voltage) charger keeps flashing red on all the plugs that I used at home. I read that it could be an issue with the charging itself, but it could just be that this is an older house. :?

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I was finally able to get service scheduled for my car. I decided to stop waiting on the rep I was talking to and just scheduled the service myself and in the process I think I discovered why the rep I was talking to kind of flaked out on me. So my local Tesla store can handle the leak, left turn signal issue and panel alignment issue themselves and taking care of those items will be what my service is scheduled for but for paint touch ups they go through a local body shop and they're backed up for quite awhile. Honestly, I may just forgo getting the paint touch ups but I guess I'll see where this goes for now.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
So, I'm planning kind of a big trip coming. I live just slightly northeast of Cleveland, Ohio and I'm driving down to Louisville, Kentucky for a music festival next weekend. This has resulted in me doing a lot of planning using the built in map and using the map on Tesla's site (which is marginally better for trip planning since you can choose your starting point).

Basically, I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on how plausible it would be for me to get to Cincinnati in a single full charge while driving at (or even slightly above) the speed limit (my average driving speed will likely be around 80mph). From my house to Cincinnati is 274 miles so on paper I should get there no problem BUT do you think I will have to slow down at some point in order to make this happen?

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
So, I'm planning kind of a big trip coming. I live just slightly northeast of Cleveland, Ohio and I'm driving down to Louisville, Kentucky for a music festival next weekend. This has resulted in me doing a lot of planning using the built in map and using the map on Tesla's site (which is marginally better for trip planning since you can choose your starting point).

Basically, I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on how plausible it would be for me to get to Cincinnati in a single full charge while driving at (or even slightly above) the speed limit (my average driving speed will likely be around 80mph). From my house to Cincinnati is 274 miles so on paper I should get there no problem BUT do you think I will have to slow down at some point in order to make this happen?

Maybe see what this tells you...

https://abetterrouteplanner.com

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
So I got a question about the California rebate.

I got some paper from Tesla with links to it and the federal PDF. However, it mentions that I may need to send a copy of the documents that I received in a folder on day of delivery.

However, I didn't get any documents on that day. I just finished signing some of the paper work, and filled out my shipping address for my license plate.

When I get that, will I get all the other papers or do I just have to contact Tesla?

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Super hyped for v9 update. I was honestly not expecting too much in the base version, but this actually is a pretty big step.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dash cam (however limited compared to third party products) is very welcome!

They should tell us what the largest flash drive is they currently support.

The return of energy monitor, something I really liked in my S, is also welcome news!

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
What version are you on now?

Oh and what happened to your car?

That's a good question (I should pay closer attention to that stuff before I get myself excited). I took my car in for a minor panel adjustment to the trim around the driver window (it would not have been a problem except I saw it every time I looked out my driver's side mirror, it looks perfect now), a mysterious leak (which turned out to be nothing) and my left turn signal would stick. By that I mean the left signal would not turn off without manual intervention on my part. I was told they've seen a lot of this and apparently replaced the whole thing. So I got my car back during lunch (glad to be rid of the Cadillac they loaned me. Side note: no idea how Cadillacs have the rep that they do as the car handled like shit and is just a big gaudy mess, but I digress...). It's taking whatever update in the parking lot right now so I'll check what it is once it's done

EDIT: Damn. I just got update v8.1 :(

Last edited:

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
That's a good question (I should pay closer attention to that stuff before I get myself excited). I took my car in for a minor panel adjustment to the trim around the driver window (it would not have been a problem except I saw it every time I looked out my driver's side mirror, it looks perfect now), a mysterious leak (which turned out to be nothing) and my left turn signal would stick. By that I mean the left signal would not turn off without manual intervention on my part. I was told they've seen a lot of this and apparently replaced the whole thing. So I got my car back during lunch (glad to be rid of the Cadillac they loaned me. Side note: no idea how Cadillacs have the rep that they do as the car handled like shit and is just a big gaudy mess, but I digress...). It's taking whatever update in the parking lot right now so I'll check what it is once it's done

EDIT: Damn. I just got update v8.1 :(

For reference you can see what version your car is on via the Tesla app on your phone. At least on the Android app you can. Glad to hear your car is back already!

Have they started building the $35k configs yet or is that still expected next year?

Last I heard was 3-6 months.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
For reference you can see what version your car is on via the Tesla app on your phone. At least on the Android app you can. Glad to hear your car is back already!

So I'm on IOS and when you go to Settings on the Tesla app it lists the version # of the app. On the main page of the app, under the VIN # it lists a version number: 2018.36.2 ac4a215... is that the version # of the current update that is installed on my car? I ask because I'm looking for something that lists v8.1 and I'm not seeing that listed anywhere on the app.

Yeah, when I brought the car in they said my service could take up to a week because they initially were not sure if they would have to order the parts they needed but I guess they didn't have to do that and my turn signal works. They took care of everything for me even though none of these issues were reported by me upon me taking delivery of the car (I'm mostly referring to my trim around the window issue when I say that) so I'm happy I didn't have to fight them on anything (not that I was really expecting to but you never know). I was kind of hoping they would charge my car up to the limit I set and wash the car but alas that was not the case which is fine because I get that these guys are really under the gun here. I was looking at some of the monitors they had hanging in there and it looked like they were pretty behind on cars they needed to work on pretty much across the board.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
So I'm on IOS and when you go to Settings on the Tesla app it lists the version # of the app. On the main page of the app, under the VIN # it lists a version number: 2018.36.2 ac4a215... is that the version # of the current update that is installed on my car? I ask because I'm looking for something that lists v8.1 and I'm not seeing that listed anywhere on the app.

Yeah, when I brought the car in they said my service could take up to a week because they initially were not sure if they would have to order the parts they needed but I guess they didn't have to do that and my turn signal works. They took care of everything for me even though none of these issues were reported by me upon me taking delivery of the car (I'm mostly referring to my trim around the window issue when I say that) so I'm happy I didn't have to fight them on anything (not that I was really expecting to but you never know). I was kind of hoping they would charge my car up to the limit I set and wash the car but alas that was not the case which is fine because I get that these guys are really under the gun here. I was looking at some of the monitors they had hanging in there and it looked like they were pretty behind on cars they needed to work on pretty much across the board.

Yeah 2018.36.2 is your car's software version.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Check your email folks. It sounds like people are getting early access invitations. My friend got one but I didn't. I'm a little irritated as he has no business getting early access if I'm not on it! LOL

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
I don't love the new vent interface from looking at it. A bit too skeuomorphic and reminds me of the pre-version 9 S and X interface which I dislike grately comepared to the 3.
The old method was incredibly confusing and was not intuitive at all. This is why they changed it.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
I drove my first long distance trip (600+ miles) to Canada today. Was a little nervous because it was also the first time using superchargers. The trip planned for 2 but I ended up stopping for a 3rd near the end bc my speeding ate more battery. All in all, it was a nice success. My only complaint is the GPS uses Google Maps, and it did not do a good job of avoiding major traffic areas, especially caused by accidents. I wish there was a way to switch to Waze.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
So the return trip was a bit more interesting. In the 12th hour of the 13 hour drive home, the dashboard went haywire. At first the music skip feature stopped responding, which we've seen before. But then the speedometer stopped displaying the speed, the icons on top all blinked, and it stopped displaying battery status or map changes. A few minutes later, the headlights flashed high beams by itself. The blinkers didn't work. Through it all, I was still able to drive normally. It was late and we were on the highway. Thought about stopping somewhere but was afraid to bc we were low on battery. After about 20 minutes, the dashboard changed to the Park icon, as if we stopped. Then the whole dashboard went black, the Tesla icon appeared and the screen came back to normal. My guess is the dashboard rebooted itself but surprisingly didn't affect my ability to drive at all. We made it home 30 minutes later with no issues. It was kinda scary but thankfully nothing bad happened.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
So the return trip was a bit more interesting. In the 12th hour of the 13 hour drive home, the dashboard went haywire. At first the music skip feature stopped responding, which we've seen before. But then the speedometer stopped displaying the speed, the icons on top all blinked, and it stopped displaying battery status or map changes. A few minutes later, the headlights flashed high beams by itself. The blinkers didn't work. Through it all, I was still able to drive normally. It was late and we were on the highway. Thought about stopping somewhere but was afraid to bc we were low on battery. After about 20 minutes, the dashboard changed to the Park icon, as if we stopped. Then the whole dashboard went black, the Tesla icon appeared and the screen came back to normal. My guess is the dashboard rebooted itself but surprisingly didn't affect my ability to drive at all. We made it home 30 minutes later with no issues. It was kinda scary but thankfully nothing bad happened.

Yikes that's pretty concerning.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017

Pressing both scroll wheel buttons on the wheel in for 5 seconds forces a reboot of the display unit; the car will continue to operate as normal.

My car has occasionally been having issues with the touchscreen freaking out due to phantom inputs, which has required me to reboot the display unit. You can also use the car's voice control to say "bug report" followed by the issue to send a bug report to Tesla.

Komarkaze

Oct 27, 2017
Pressing both scroll wheel buttons on the wheel in for 5 seconds forces a reboot of the display unit; the car will continue to operate as normal.

My car has occasionally been having issues with the touchscreen freaking out due to phantom inputs, which has required me to reboot the display unit. You can also use the car's voice control to say "bug report" followed by the issue to send a bug report to Tesla.

Thanks, that is good to know.

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
Submitted my loan application and Trade in evaluation through Tesla when it gave me the option today. Is it a good time to start doing it ASAP?