• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Driving the S is so weird after driving the 3. Besides acceleration, it feels like a cow. I too drove an early pre-autopilot one when i tried, so I'm not sure if any advancement has been made, but I'm pretty sure it still feels the same.
My friend said it feels like a boat, which is true.

I have to so say that the three things I'll miss when I go back to my 3 are
  1. Automatic door hinges. Ugh, why are the 3's hinges so awkward! I hope they do something to make door opening more automatic with the FOB or something
  2. Air suspension, which I mentioned previously. Adjusting that setting and having the car go higher or lower to the ground is awesome
  3. Higher/back seat readjustment

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
My friend said it feels like a boat, which is true.

I have to so say that the three things I'll miss when I go back to my 3 are
  1. Automatic door hinges. Ugh, why are the 3's hinges so awkward! I hope they do something to make door opening more automatic with the FOB or something
  2. Air suspension, which I mentioned previously. Adjusting that setting and having the car go higher or lower to the ground is awesome
  3. Higher/back seat readjustment

I think air suspension is still eventually coming to model 3s, but probably not until next year, unless I missed something about it being cancelled. I was hoping for smart suspension early on because I didn't know how the 3 would handle on my curb/driveway, but turns out it works fine.

I don't think anything can be done about the door handles. At best, since it's an electric relay that controls the unlatching when you pull the handle, on approach they could open that, but then you'd have to still grab onto the lip of the door to pull it open rather than the handles.

I personally love the seats in the 3, so imo they don't really need any adjustments. Although I wouldn't mind built in cooling in the seats.....

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Curious dumb question: who here has actually sat in the car as it downloads & installs an update? What is all the metallic clanging and banging I'm hearing? I know it's normal based on what I've heard from others but what exactly is going on during updates? I ask because the car is installing one now

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Curious dumb question: who here has actually sat in the car as it downloads & installs an update? What is all the metallic clanging and banging I'm hearing? I know it's normal based on what I've heard from others but what exactly is going on during updates? I ask because the car is installing one now

Little gypsies are under your car installing the upgrade.

Actually the banging is something to do with the battery contactors I believe.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA

Little gypsies are under your car installing the upgrade.

Actually the banging is something to do with the battery contactors I believe.

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
Taking my delivery on the 7th, I remember seeing recommendations for dash cams, can anybody attest to better ones?

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
Well I can't say for sure since they've not even released the base version yet. :) That being said there's nothing to suggest it's not going to be available across all cars. I have a RWD LR and I have it, so you paid more I'd imagine you'd have it. :)

I should say I didn't purchase EAP either, guess I'll find out on Wednesday :)

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
So I didn't take delivery today as scheduled, during their final inspection it was revealed a msg on the gears. My store is looking into it.

Which sucks because I activated the loan and insurance today, and their description of the message has me worried as well.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
So I didn't take delivery today as scheduled, during their final inspection it was revealed a msg on the gears. My store is looking into it.

Which sucks because I activated the loan and insurance today, and their description of the message has me worried as well.

That sucks man. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly. I'm sure your insurance company can update their records and charge you when you actually pick up the vehicle. The loan probably not so much.

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
That sucks man. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly. I'm sure your insurance company can update their records and charge you when you actually pick up the vehicle. The loan probably not so much.

Hopefully it's a minor issue, I guess it's better they caught it prior to delivery, but I think the procedure should've been done 3~5 days prior instead the day of delivery.

sigma722

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, the loans are tricky, if you can't pick up the same VIN likely you will have to basically pay it back and get a new loan. It's annoying af when shit like this happens. My delivery was delayed a couple weeks as well, and I had to get a different car, and redo all the loan. They tried to make the interest rate go up in between and so had to work with them on that stuff too.

I wonder if that stuff is easier if you are in a state where you can finance through Tesla...

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah, the loans are tricky, if you can't pick up the same VIN likely you will have to basically pay it back and get a new loan. It's annoying af when shit like this happens. My delivery was delayed a couple weeks as well, and I had to get a different car, and redo all the loan. They tried to make the interest rate go up in between and so had to work with them on that stuff too.

I wonder if that stuff is easier if you are in a state where you can finance through Tesla...

I did try Tesla financing and got a better rate on my own.

Called Tesla today they will need a week for the fix. I guess I'll find out next week.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
$150 and no passive entry?

https://electrek.co/2018/11/08/tesla-model-3-key-fob-price-150-drawback/

2017%2F03%2F24%2F71%2F60943599e67f410dbe8767546d29a4e4.7ff79.png

NYR

Oct 27, 2017
Absolute joke by Tesla with the keyfob, cars have had keyless entry and go for nearly a decade. Stuff like this makes it seem like they aren't a car company but a tech company and this is simply a limitation of what they can do. I know the limitation is because the 3 doesn't have RF but bluetooth battery drain is not an issue, they seemed to have played it safe with this one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RustyNails

RustyNails

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm beginning to get worried my MR is not gonna make it before EoY.

Ordered on 10/18, and still nothing...we're almost halfway through November.

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
I was just able to drive a performance model 3. My neighbors' son brought it over. My first time being in one. That 0-60 acceleration is jarring! What an amazing vehicle.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
E-Mails are going out to European reservation holders that Model 3s can be looked at at selected showrooms starting tomorrow (some later).

Here's the full list:

https://www.tesla.com/de_DE/events/Meet-Model3?redirect=no

Some stores have a deadline, some don't. Interestingly the French email mentions that after the event all showrooms (I assume in France at least) will have Model 3s on display.
It's starting to get interesting for us Europeans!

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
After a couple delays my car was delivered yesterday

https://imgur.com/a/axxvuL7

They came right to my house which is cool, I'm enjoying the features so far (regenerative braking, sensors, great acceleration), I've also gotten so much waves by other Tesla drivers on the road it's crazy.

The dashcam is available without EAP as well, although they gave me a 30-day trial currently.

Now I just have to get my home installation hooked up, I've seen a couple EV charging stations at my work as well that I can take advantage of.
It's funny too since my neighbor across the street also got a M3 a couple of weeks ago and he recognize mine almost immediately, great to have a Tesla buddy so close-by on day 1.

Are there any must have accessories that I should look at? Already got the screen protector, vinyl wrap for center console, all-weather mats, and LED lights for interior and the trunk.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
After a couple delays my car was delivered yesterday

https://imgur.com/a/axxvuL7

They came right to my house which is cool, I'm enjoying the features so far (regenerative braking, sensors, great acceleration), I've also gotten so much waves by other Tesla drivers on the road it's crazy.

The dashcam is available without EAP as well, although they gave me a 30-day trial currently.

Now I just have to get my home installation hooked up, I've seen a couple EV charging stations at my work as well that I can take advantage of.
It's funny too since my neighbor across the street also got a M3 a couple of weeks ago and he recognize mine almost immediately, great to have a Tesla buddy so close-by on day 1.

Are there any must have accessories that I should look at? Already got the screen protector, vinyl wrap for center console, all-weather mats, and LED lights for interior and the trunk.

Probably an air inflator thingy for your tires in an emergency.

Something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DZFZPG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

darkvir

Oct 26, 2017
Don't get rear ended, car has been in the shop for a month with 'sometime in 2019' as a fix date.

Parts are back ordered and will take months to arrive. Cmon Tesla, get it together.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
Corolla... it's as painful as it sounds lol. The main killer is I can't use the HOV/EV lane going to work, it doubles my commute time.
I would have made a big deal out of this. I need a car that can drive itself, anything else is incomparable! :P

I still haven't gotten my HOV lane sticker, hopefully by the end of the month. Though, I don't really need it as I have a commute opposite traffic. But it would have been nice to have it now since I'm visiting LA.

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
I would have made a big deal out of this. I need a car that can drive itself, anything else is incomparable! :P

I still haven't gotten my HOV lane sticker, hopefully by the end of the month. Though, I don't really need it as I have a commute opposite traffic. But it would have been nice to have it now since I'm visiting LA.

I haven't gotten my sticker too, but I started driving it when I got my car. Cops usually know if you are driving a Tesla you happen to have a sticker anyway even if it's not affixed outside.

*this is the LIE in NY.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
I haven't gotten my sticker too, but I started driving it when I got my car. Cops usually know if you are driving a Tesla you happen to have a sticker anyway even if it's not affixed outside.

*this is the LIE in NY.
Did you forget to asterisk something? :p

In the bay area the HOV lane is usable all day on weekends and then it's only required during 5-9am and 3-7pm, otherwise you can drive on it as a single rider any time. As I said, I don't get any traffic, as I go on the opposite commute. Still, once I get a new job or I move to another part of CA, it may become more useful.

OP
OP
RustyNails

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was reading an article that said if you fix the cost of gasoline to $2.60/gal, you would be getting same bang for your buck with a Toyota Prius (excluding the car MSRP). Is this generally true? Of course gas prices are gonna fluctuate but they're historic low right now.

Yuri_G

Oct 30, 2017
I was reading an article that said if you fix the cost of gasoline to $2.60/gal, you would be getting same bang for your buck with a Toyota Prius (excluding the car MSRP). Is this generally true? Of course gas prices are gonna fluctuate but they're historic low right now.

Maybe, but then you're driving a Prius.

In all seriousness the only way the math works is if you live in an area with high electricity rates. At the national average of $0.12/0.13 a kWh the Model 3 is usually 1/3 cheaper than normal cars and most likely 1/2 as cheap as a Prius to fill up.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
It depends.

My friend says he drives around 500 miles with 10 gallons of gas on his Prius (non-PEV), in LA that's about $3.69/gl. So about $40.

If I use public chargers or Superchargers, the charge is around 23¢ to 26¢/kWh then it becomes a bit similar. That's why free charging or charging at home is much cheaper.

If I could charge off-peak with EV pricing it becomes 6¢/kWh, which would be really nice. There are also places where you can charge for free, so then driving becomes free. :p

However, the Prius doesn't have the same acceleration, autopilot (TACC), or the sporty feel. So it's up to you. If you ended up getting the short range model, I think it would be a better deal.

OP
OP
RustyNails

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Anyone experienced RWD in snow so far?

I'm looking to get winter tires when I get the car. Do the delivery location change tires for you? Also if you do get new tires, can you keep the old ones for spring?

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It depends.

My friend says he drives around 500 miles with 10 gallons of gas on his Prius (non-PEV), in LA that's about $3.69/gl. So about $40.

If I use public chargers or Superchargers, the charge is around 23¢ to 26¢/kWh then it becomes a bit similar. That's why free charging or charging at home is much cheaper.

If I could charge off-peak with EV pricing it becomes 6¢/kWh, which would be really nice. There are also places where you can charge for free, so then driving becomes free. :p

However, the Prius doesn't have the same acceleration, autopilot (TACC), or the sporty feel. So it's up to you. If you ended up getting the short range model, I think it would be a better deal.
Don't forget there's a shit load more on a prius that can break or requires maintenance. My wife's audi had to have her timing belt replaced last year. One time I took her car in for like 60k mile service to our mechanic who's much cheaper than the dealer it was still 6-700 bucks.

That's the thing with these articles "this prius is cheaper than a Tesla 3" sure, if you leave a bunch of shit out and only calculate gas and electricity. Maintence on luxury vehicles like audis and BMWs ain't cheap. Sure you could drive around a little Honda fit for cheaper... But your still in a Honda fit.

So anyway, I'm getting solar panels. What does this have to do model 3? Like two weeks after I told my wife I come home and she's like I want a model 3. I'm like hell yea. So we drove one on the 17th ordered on the 18th. How does the expected delivery date work? I saw someone on Twitter ordered the 19th and has a expected delivery date of Dec 3rd. I know they acquired trucking capacity for delivery. I'm just more curious than anything.

Shadow780

Nov 16, 2017
Was supercharging my car for the past week while waiting for the Wall Charger to be installed in my home, had to reset the car twice when it just shuts down during supercharging.

Does this happen to anyone?

hurlex

Oct 25, 2017
I'm looking to trade in my old car when I get my Tesla. Doesn't anyone know exactly what a 'major mechanical issue' means?

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
A lot of news about the EU Model 3 are hitting the web in the last few hours. Prices for the LR AWD and LR AWD P Model 3 are being tossed around.
The Tesla FAQ was updated and now says that all mainland EU reservation holders will be able to configure in December. First deliveries will start Feb 19.

Looks like there will be no MR or LR RWD Models available in the beginning. That would be a shame. I'm not willing to spend close to 60k€ for a car. Drop the AWD or give me a MR and I'd bite.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Car designer has opened up for myself and other Norwegians as well a few other European countries:

If I place my order before the end of the year I will have the car in February.
Originally pre-ordered back in November 2016.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
For those who are getting HOV stickers, but do not want to sully your beautiful car by putting an awful sticker on it, I purchased these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYGOXU2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

71RzVg-q5LL._SL1500_.jpg

You cant put the stickers exactly where CA says you are supposed to since the bumper is not metal, but it has not been an issue for my wife or I. We just stick em on the trunk when we need em and then remove them when we don't. Just remember to take them off before going through a car wash (looking at my wife...).

OP
OP
RustyNails

RustyNails

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Hooray! I got my delivery confirmation for the 12th. wheeee

I have a question. What are you guys using for paint protection?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Thanks! Got midnight silver, white interior and the big wheel

compositor
This is the same look I think I will be going for. Wife favors the black interior (and I like the wooden dashboard finish I must admit) but the white gives the car a fresh futuristic look and help separate it from other vehicles (and apparently it's very resistant to dirt & coloring which was one of my main fears). Will also prevent the interiors from heating up too much in the sun.

Otherwise I'm going with AWD / dual-engine and Long-Range battery (this is one of two choices in Norway, the other being the equivalent Performance version).

Found some decent photos of the look here (although Performance with red brakes): https://imgur.com/gallery/fWiryNE