• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Did you notice that there is no longer an "Enhanced Autopilot" option, only an "Autopilot" option?

Basically the "Enhanced" stuff like Navigate on Autopilot, Summon, and Autopark are now part of the "Full self driving" option...

I'm guessing they did this because you literally got no new functionality that worked right now if you ordered "Full self driving" in the past.

Yeah noticed that after I posted. Kinda a bummer as I did want those features.. Buy will most likely add the FSD down the road whenever it becomes legal anyways

May 10, 2018
Some pretty nice price drops. Oh well, driving a civic for the time being. Will probably get a model 3 in a few more years. Hopefully by then there will be a nice range increase as well.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Receiving my Model 3 on March 22nd (Norway). Had it pre-ordered with 'enhanced autopilot'. Just got this SMS:

"We've upgraded your Model 3 with Full Self driving Capability for free. This includes; Navigate on Autopilot, Auto Park, Auto Replace, Autopark, and Summon."

Garfield

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2018
I hope Tesla hit huge sales with the low price model 3, they do have issues though, there is a you tuber who hit a deer in the U.K., and he had to wait 3 months for a replacement bonnet...

Also where do you go if you have issues if they have no physical stores?

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Man early adopters are getting screwed. I bought EAP but not self-driving.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/02/tesla-slashes-prices-autopilot-full-self-driving-upgrades/
EMyQFPy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I don't quite get the logic behind giving 2019 EAP buyers FSD for free. Is it because they paid more for the car before the price drop, I suppose? I'd be really annoyed if I purchased in December.

Also, I'm still unclear on features going forward. If I elect not to pay $2k for FSD, what happens to my EAP features that are now listed as FSD-only? Will I get Advanced Summon which they previously said was an EAP feature?

Last edited:

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017

Well... It does suck that someone who bought neither upgrade can get the whole shebang for $5K, but at least the FSD upgrade price is dropping to $2K...

If you bought enhanced autopilot, FSD upgrade costs $2k instead of $5k

I don't quite get the logic behind giving 2019 EAP buyers FSD for free. Is it because they paid more for the car before the price drop, I suppose? I'd be really annoyed if I purchased in December.

Also, I'm still unclear on features going forward. If I elect not to pay $2k for FSD, what happens to my EAP features that are now listed as FSD-only? Will I get Advanced Summon which they previously said was an EAP feature?

My understanding is that no features will be taken away and you'll get advanced summon when it comes out. What you won't get if you don't upgrade is stop light and stop sign detection.

I will probably upgrade to FSD as features start rolling out but uhhh, maybe I don't want to be the first to test the stop light detection, haha...

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in this category where I'm now receiving upgrade to FSD 'for free' on my current EAP order that's yet to be delivered (as detailed in my post further up).

However (after AP + FSD has become available as options for the first time in Norway + all the price reductions in place): If I cancel my current order and re-order right now with FSD from the get-go I would end up at the same exact price as when I ordered it with EAP a couple of months ago. Hence why I'm getting the upgrade to FSD "for free". At least it seems to ensure me an upgrade to Harware 3.0 when it deploys as it is needed for FSD which will also increase re-sale value.

People who lose out on $$$ in savings are in essence those whom have already physically received an EAP vehicle in the last few months (and can no longer return it).

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
the messaging around the EAP and FSD changes is completely fucked up.
Like if you bought EAP for 5500 you should get FSD no matter when you purchased it.

furthermore the math in this press release is making my head spin.
https://www.tesla.com/blog/upgradin...qD8fhiJJ2HiAHC4s8zTpv9u0Y3XMuCfC51DY40RX0yn8o

buy FSD for full 6k less than before? EAP was 5500, unless they are referring to back when you could buy FSD? i have no clue. Also half of 3k is not 2k and half of 5k is not 3k. stop fucking this up, it shouldnt be that hard.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere
My car was broken into tonight. :(

This little window in the back was smashed pretty hard with a baseball bat or something. Stay safe out there SF Bay Area Model 3 owners.

window3xjli.png

MrCheezball

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
In comparing the Model 3 Standard Range Plus against a base Model Y Base (37K vs 39K), it appears the Model Y Base compares very favorably, especially if what I am seeing is true: that all Model Y's will have a premium interior. Is there anything I am missing comparing a car that will be a bit larger, but seemingly a (much?) better value?

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I drive a lot and don't have access to a home charger.

Would it be a dumb idea to get a base 35k model 3 that only gets 220 miles per charge? I drive a lot and would have to drive 20 minutes or so from where I live to the nearest charger.

I really want a model 3 but don't think it's practical right now unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017

Would it be a dumb idea to get a base 35k model 3 that only gets 220 miles per charge? I drive a lot and would have to drive 20 minutes or so from where I live to the nearest charger.

This is what I do. I have a supercharger ~15 minutes away that I use once a week until I have home and/or work charging. It's not a problem, but it is a consideration. I think you're really going to feel the vampire drain, although it's less than it has been in the past. I have the Long Range model, and a short commute to work.

Also consider that although you have 220 mile range, you're don't want to be getting down to 10% and shouldn't be charging to 100% often.

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
M
This is what I do. I have a supercharger ~15 minutes away that I use once a week until I have home and/or work charging. It's not a problem, but it is a consideration. I think you're really going to feel the vampire drain, although it's less than it has been in the past. I have the Long Range model, and a short commute to work.

Also consider that although you have 220 mile range, you're don't want to be getting down to 10% and shouldn't be charging to 100% often.

I drive 80-100 miles daily so I would have to charge 3-4 times a week... how long does it take to charge?

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
M

I drive 80-100 miles daily so I would have to charge 3-4 times a week... how long does it take to charge?

It's a bit hard to say because the charge characteristics of the standard range is not fully known, but supercharging charges very quickly for a little while (assuming your initial state of charge is low) and tapers off as you approach 100%. So it depends on how much juice you feel comfortable with when you leave the charger.

Your usage pattern suggests that you will be at this charger pretty much every day or every other day (probably for 20-30 minutes each visit), so that sounds pretty inconvenient to me. I don't think I would buy a Model 3 in your situation.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think EVs are worth it unless you can charge at home or at work. That's where the savings kick in.

I've seen some people leave their car overnight at a nearby public charger too.

You're speeding up battery degradation by frequently fast charging too.

Valkyr Junkie

Oct 27, 2017

You would definitely need the long range battery, or a dedicated home/work charger for ownership to not be extremely cumbersome.

Oct 25, 2017
It really sounds like it'd be huge pain to have an EV as your main vehicle in your particular situation. If you had a garage at home where you could at least plug into a 110 volt outlet and get 40-50 miles back every night, that would be borderline. But needing to supercharge every other day? Way too much of a hassle and seriously cuts into the fuel cost savings

Last edited:

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah, I am tempted but am not in a situation to where getting a Tesla would be practical or financially smart. I just graduated college and am looking to upgrade from my current car so I'm probably going to get a Honda Insight or accord hybrid. Then, in 3-5 years when hopefully the price of the car decreases/the used market is saturated and I have a steady home to charge it, then I can invest in a Tesla. It's really tempting because I absolutely love the model 3 but I would probably regret it.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Tesla Model 3 sets new all-time record in Norway for amount of cars for a specific model registered within a month with 5305 registered in March.
It's also the first time ever where over 50% of new cars registered are purely electric. The rest is divided across (highest to lowest) hybrids, gazoline & diesel.

Previous all-time record was 2200 Nissan Leaf in March 2018.

PS. Picking up my own Model 3 on Wednesday.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Tesla Model 3 sets new all-time record in Norway for amount of cars for a specific model registered within a month with 5305 registered in March.
It's also the first time ever where over 50% of new cars registered are purely electric. The rest is divided across (highest to lowest) hybrids, gazoline & diesel.

Previous all-time record was 2200 Nissan Leaf in March 2018.

PS. Picking up my own Model 3 on Wednesday.

Enjoy your Model 3. You are gonna love it! :)

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
It really sounds like it'd be huge pain to have an EV as your main vehicle in your particular situation. If you had a garage at home where you could at least plug into a 110 volt outlet and get 40-50 miles back every night, that would be borderline. But needing to supercharge every other day? Way too much of a hassle and seriously cuts into the fuel cost savings
so charging on 110 volt, charges the battery at ~3mi/hr. So even 8 hours is only going to give you 24 miles and thats assuming it doesn't pop the fuse. You really need a 240v plug.
My mid range is limited to charging at 30mi/hr for some reason, but even fully drained starting charging at 930pm it can be fully charged for the "daily" amount which is ~90% capacity before anyone needs to use it.

Also you guys should check out the plug share app. It shows chargers in google maps like maps. (probably is google maps) and tells you if they are Tesla or other type of charger. Both trips ive taken from Houston to Austin i've found a hotel to charge at that had 240v charging stations to charge at while i was at conferences.

congrats on everyone picking up their 3's soon. You're gonna love it.

Deleted member 2652

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
put in my deposit yesterday and they already want to deliver my model 3 on thursday. they haven't even confirmed buying out my lease yet nor have i gone through the financing because of that.

also be careful adding FSD right after the deposit, you can't remove it unless you call them...

this whole experience has been vague and borderline fustrating. can't wait to get past this part and not have to deal with it again.

FatBaby

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any experience with a failed software update? I received one late Thursday night, went ahead and installed it, and about 45 minutes later, it said that the update has failed. It mentioned that I would have to wait for the next update but it seems kind of silly that I can't at least redownload and try it again.

I'm a bit bummed that I seem to be stuck on an older software version for the time being. This happen to anyone else?

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Got a paintjob applied to my Sports wheels. Darker gun metal (similar to Aero default without wheelcaps). Also I added red brake caliper covers:

D5Vrs5eW0AATEIi.jpg:large

D5VruPIWkAUwg9T.jpg:large

D5VrvL2WAAAFK7U.jpg:large

I already applied a Chrome Delete job before so that concludes my customization.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
The driving experience is really really tight. Extremely responsive and above other electrical cars I've tried including Model S. The latter has (at least P models) a bit more follow through on the speed/acceleration but they feel more like a 'boat' steering them which makes this one more fun with its small car handling. However still the acceleration here pushes your guts in. Steering wheel feels almost like a gaming wheel in a good way due to its compact size (sports wheel I guess). It always puts a smile to my face driving this over the last few weeks.

Oct 25, 2017
The driving experience is really really tight. Extremely responsive and above other electrical cars I've tried including Model S. The latter has (at least P models) a bit more follow through on the speed/acceleration but they feel more like a 'boat' steering them which makes this one more fun with its small car handling. However still the acceleration here pushes your guts in. Steering wheel feels almost like a gaming wheel in a good way due to its compact size (sports wheel I guess). It always puts a smile to my face driving this over the last few weeks.

Thanks feeling still hasn't faded for me and it's been about 9 months. It's always a pleasure to drive. Congrats man, it looks great, enjoy it!

Dec 4, 2018
Hello all! I just joined the club!

Tesla Model 3
Long range performance, full autopilot, and red. I also got 5K free miles using a persons referral code. They had a model S so they don't get free the free charging miles but do get double chances for the drawing. Currently, if you buy a Model 3 with my code between now and May 31st you get 5K instead of 1K. Send me your PMs. :P

Where I'm coming from:

I came from a Hyundai Elantra bought brand new where:
  1. The original Hyundai dealer (Florida) screwed me out of rebates and reductions they kept. Florida is a sign and get fucked state unless you have the money to go to court.
  2. The engine blew up 4 years later in California.
  3. Hyundai paid to replace the engine at another dealer (California) under warranty
  4. CA dealer changed the engine and put back the damaged parts with the new engine after billing Hyundai USA 12k for the job.
  5. One of the damaged parts was the part the CA dealer tried to use as "proof" that it was my fault. I posted this on reddit and had a car-expert friend to help me through that.
  6. Same CA dealer was "offering me" 1K for my vehicle trade in with a brand new engine and a "reconditioning fee" of 4K.
  7. Same Hyundai CA dealer wanted 29K for a used 2017 hybrid.
  8. Same family of dealers all wanted 30K for hybrids and 33K for electric.
Fuck car dealers and a special fuck you to Doral Hyundai and Capital Hyundai (the whole chain really), and all those dealers that wanted 28K - 30K for used hybrids, and 30K+ for new hybrids, used electric, and new electrics.

New Chapter
I got the Tesla delivered and have had it for 5 days. On Day 2 I put in a USB drive to test out the dash cam feature on the way to work. That morning on the second traffic light, the Tesla's cameras caught a hit and run. I'm trying very careful not gloat but that damn, that was so cool.

Anyone have any experience with a failed software update? I received one late Thursday night, went ahead and installed it, and about 45 minutes later, it said that the update has failed. It mentioned that I would have to wait for the next update but it seems kind of silly that I can't at least redownload and try it again.

I'm a bit bummed that I seem to be stuck on an older software version for the time being. This happen to anyone else?

From my understand, that's not how it is supposed to work. The updates are not all released at the same time aka like an iOS update to iPhones. Tesla staggers the releases so that any bad update doesn't propagate to the entire fleet. Essentially "grounding the fleet." I had the update fail too. I believe it was because I had sentry mode on.

Last edited:

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
I don't think you should be allowed to push your referral code in this thread.
Why not? I have a referall code anyone can use but I don't really care.

You get entered to win some stuff if someone uses your code. And both of you get some super charging miles? Not sure. Not really a big deal to me. It's not like someone is forced to use only one person's code. Someone could come ask anyone for a code here.

Dec 4, 2018
Why not? I have a referall code anyone can use but I don't really care.

You get entered to win some stuff if someone uses your code. And both of you get some super charging miles? Not sure. Not really a big deal to me. It's not like someone is forced to use only one person's code. Someone could come ask anyone for a code here.

I don't see the issue either. Especially if it allows a new Tesla Model 3 owner to start off with 5K free charging miles. I got lucky that a co-worker told me about it. They have a model S and they only benefit by being entered twice in a drawing. Also, it's not like I posted my referral link publicly here.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
There are dozens of us that post here that have referral codes, but we've refrained from advertising them. If you want to open those floodgates we can do that, but this thread is fairly slow-moving and I think people posting referral codes will kill it outright.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
Let's not post referral codes, just seems like a bad idea. People can figure out who's contributing positively to the thread and PM the individual for their code.

Dec 4, 2018

By the way. I just spoke with a Tesla employee who gave me a tip for this situation. (Don't do this while driving...) The two buttons on the stirring wheel. Simply press and hold them, the screen will go black and then reboot. After the screen comes up, you should be able to schedule your update late at night. He also recommended connecting to wifi for the update.

Hope that helps.

FatBaby

Oct 25, 2017
By the way. I just spoke with a Tesla employee who gave me a tip for this situation. (Don't do this while driving...) The two buttons on the stirring wheel. Simply press and hold them, the screen will go black and then reboot. After the screen comes up, you should be able to schedule your update late at night. He also recommended connecting to wifi for the update.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that procedure. I had tried that method a few times (both a soft and hard reboot) with no luck. The update (2019.12.1.2 ) eventually showed up one day so I assume it was just staggered/luck of the draw. Although I did one thing someone suggested and unplugged the USB drive that I have TeslaCam on and the update seemed to arrive instantaneously. Not sure if that really did the trick or if it was just coincidence.

Thanks for the reply though! :)

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone recently ordered and got a delivery in Los Angeles for a Model 3? Wondering what to expect (timing, delivery day, etc).

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Don't think the base price of the Y includes a premium interior. The current offerings require premium interior but at an upcharge.

https://www.tesla.com/modely/design
Ughhh. I want a Y so bad now. I like the 3, but I would love a car that's a bit higher.

I guess I can wait a few years. :(

I hate that I'm strongly contemplating trading my Model 3 for a Model Y. I love my Model 3 but I think the Model Y would be better for me. It would handle better in the snow, have more space (which I'm sure my dog would appreciate), and would be far more comfortable for me to get in and out of (being tall can certainly have its downsides). Those may seem like minor issues but I'm viewing this car as my car for... probably at least the next decade? And the Y would fit that bill a little nicer.

My only concern is that the only real reason I was able to make the Model 3 work for me financially is that I got the full tax credit AND I got an absolute monster trade for my previous car (which I had gotten for a steal originally). Basically my final purchase price for my long range RWD Model 3 was $35,000 which was perfect. If not for things coming together the way they did the Model 3 would've been much harder for me to justify. Right now the estimated trade value for my Model 3 is about $40,000 which would be fine... if I could buy the Model Y right now. Obviously the current situation gives me more time to save up money but it's just annoying knowing that my car's value is probably going to depreciate pretty dramatically between then and now.
Anyone recently ordered and got a delivery in Los Angeles for a Model 3? Wondering what to expect (timing, delivery day, etc).

Just be sure to stay on top of things with your Tesla rep as mine were not always great about getting back to me in a timely manner and they were usually pretty bad about updating my information.